Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• cstilescstiles Posts: 465
    I'm just glad that you didn't have to adjust your iDrive while going 145mph! :sick:

Okay, continue with your discussions...

Have y'all listened to this? It's a classic. (And no, it isn't another top secret Lexus spy video)....check this out.....

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1389458/posts

Hit the "Click Here for Audio" link.
  • bw45sportbw45sport Posts: 151
    That would be about $700/mo before taxes with no down payment. I'm at $728/mo pre-tax on a loaded M45 Sport no money down.
  • rich545rich545 Posts: 386
    I'm not really sure you're hearing me. I already said that I had a 330xi before my 545 and that I drove a 325i as a loaner. Racing IS about handling as much or more than it's about speed. I'm not talking about drag racing. I bet I know why you think your 325 outhandles the 545. You're not used to active steering. So it feels different to you which makes you think it feels worse, but it has nothing to do with holding a turn. I mean, you just read that the 530i holds on a skid pad better than the 330i, and you still don't believe it! Also, could it be possible that you just feel more comfortable around turns in a car you've had for a while rather than one you just test drove? Geez, got some anger about what BMW's cost? Hey, if you love your 325, great! Then you don't need a 5 series anyway!
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    My 325's a lease. I have to turn it in early August. I drove two 5's. Didn't care for either of 'em. The first 5 I drove was a 2003 530i which didn't have active steering. At that time BMW hadn't yet decided to bless us with this totally unnecessary addition. Found the normal steering too light. The very car that CR gushed as scoring the highest ever in their tests. Sure wish they would share their data with the rest of the world.
    Anyhow, you love yours. I love mine. That's all that really matters.
    And they both lived happily ever after in driving nirvana.
    One thing you proposed is quite interesting-somewhat akin to white coat hypertension.
    A state of anxiety that very well could exist when test driving an unfamiliar car which may cloud one's judgment. Being more comfortable, familiar and relaxed in one's own car affecting the test drive result in an unfamiliar vehicle.
    I will definitely take this thought with me on my next test drive(2006 330i) and it will help me to better evaluate the new vehicle.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,076
    This sounds like not-smart to me.
  • cmybimmergocmybimmergo Posts: 265
    "A state of anxiety that very well could exist when test driving an unfamiliar car which may cloud one's judgment."

Oh, absolutely. The more unfamiliar features on the test vehicle, the less attention paid to how it handles. Sort of a forest for the trees effect. Before I bought my 5 (which is the only BMW I have ever owned), I attempted to compare the sport pkg vs non sport, but all the 5 non sports at the dealer were automatic. I've been driving only sticks for 25 years now, and the combination of auto plus the totally unfamiliar car completely threw me off. I was so busy not shifting on the curves that the only thing I noticed or remembered about the drive was that I wasn't shifting. So I went to another dealer who had both sport and non sport sticks, and then I was able to determine which I preferred.

Even little things, such as where's the button for the heat or how do I turn on the windshield wipers, can distract you enough to tarnish the experience.
  • jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    " I'm not talking about drag racing."

I was trying to think of any road coming out of Chicago where you might be traveling 145MPH. Edens? The Kennedy? Naw...you wouldn't. I-90? I-94? Naw... The Tollway? HMMMM.
    "I'm not really sure you are hearing me your honor, we weren't drag racing....really!" :sick:
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Well there is one isolated stretch of I-90 from I-65 to the "Sky Way" portion that is pretty good for high-speed driving, but I'm not sure about 145 mph though. Its all concrete and walled off from anyone who might object.

M
    That would have been funny, but it was that bright blue color, and it was two guys most likely in their mid-20's.
    Oh I was being stupid to an extreme, no doubt about it. It was actually right on 290. Keep in mind, it only takes about 25 seconds to get to that speed in this car from a dead stop (and we were going about 80 when we started) and we didn't stay there very long. It was pretty late a night so there weren't many other cars on the road either. Not that any of this excuses driving so recklessly, but it was fun! You'd be amazed at how solid the 545 feels at high speeds. Anyway, not something I've repeated since then, and not something I plan on repeating. Just needed to see what the new rig was capable of. Now that I know, I'm good!
    There is a strech of road Nebraskaguy reminded me about in the southwestern area of his home state that is flat, straight, sparsely habitated and hardly patrolled. One might consider it a Bimmer paradise. Hint! Hint!
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    There is a strech of road Nebraskaguy reminded me about in the southwestern area of his home state that is flat, straight, sparsely habitated ...

Wouldn't that be I-90 from stateline to stateline? :P
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,258
    I-80 runs all the way across Nebraska (455 miles).

I-90 is up in South Dakota.

The best high-speed roads are not interstates, they're the little-used US highways in rural areas. My favorites are in Nevada, but they exist all over the West & Midwest. My general rule for running at high speed (above 90) is that there shouldn't be another vehicle anywhere in sight.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Montana is great for that kind of stuff. Unfortunately a guy in a 911 removed the state's "no speed limit during the day" when he was caught doing around 150 or so, but you can still drive dangerously fast through most of the state.
  • richcreamrichcream Posts: 205
    How does one get caught at 150mph? ;)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,475
    Eventually.... you have to slow down.... Can't outrun a radio...

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

I got caught near Albany(Coxsackie, NY) on the way to Buffalo by a light plane working with ground patrol.
    What hurt was I was keeping pace with traffic!
    But I was flattered that they needed the "air force" to bring me down! :blush:
    Well in the Chicago a few years ago a guy got caught doin 160mph on Lake Shore Driver on some type of Honda sport bike. The dumb part was that he got away but decided to repeat the same run in the opposite direction! Thats when they got him. :surprise:

M
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    I got caught near Albany(Coxsackie, NY)...

If that city's name is pronounced the way it looks, it's just dripping with connotations! :surprise: No pun intended.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    I don't think the possible pronunciations nor the connotations are somewhere we need to go ...
  • marleybarrmarleybarr Posts: 334
    Hwy.50 from Fallon, Nevada 250 desolate miles to Ely, Nevada with only 2 "towns" in between, Austin, pop.375 and Eureka, pop.655., sounds like some high-speed driving could be done for limited periods of time.
    "Hwy.50 from Fallon, Nevada 250 desolate miles to Ely, Nevada"

I remember this strech better known as "Loneliest Road"...drove it in April '66...brings a little smile tho' when I think about it. I was driving a '66 VW Beetle....not exactly the kind of machine you'd bury the throttle on! Ha Ha! Fond memories of a 24 year old having a ball driving to California to look up old army buddies.
  • liferulesliferules Posts: 531
    Not surprisingly, Lexus won, again.

Surprising were the results of marked improvement in BMW, and the fact that Audi beat out Acura and Infiniti, contrary to people's opinions that Audi's aren't as reliable as those 2 makes (M owners, don't get all in a tiff, I know the initial reliability for the M's isn't yet in the mix...). Interesting nonetheless.

http://www.jdpower.com/pdf/2005069.pdf
    A couple of the N-S state highways within NV make US 50 look busy by comparison.

From Tonopah up through Austin on 376, then 305 up to Battle Mtn, then picking up 120 North of Winnemucca on NW into Oregon provides lots of solitary driving.

But, it's all good.
  • cmybimmergocmybimmergo Posts: 265
    "The dumb part was that he got away but decided to repeat the same run in the opposite direction!"

You realize that if stupidity were a crime, 98% of the world would be locked up.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Posts: 1,289
    The IQS study is about quality and less about reliability. I believe you can really only measure reliability over a longer term than the first 90 days of ownership, which is what the IQS measures.

take a look at the 5-year dependability studies. These studies reveal how reliable cars are.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    I agree with Max that the IQS study really doesnt mean too much except for cars that literally fail right off the lot. For example M-B did very well, but we wont know until these '05 cars reach the 3 year study level if Mercedes really has improved quality that much over the awful '03 and '04 cars. While Audi did well, VW apparently still has A LOT of work to do. I'll bet the Cayenne\Toureg dragged down any improvements they've made.

cmybimmergo, what a great world that would be.
    I'm with you all the way.

I'm about to begin my sixth year with my most recent car, and this is when the fun can begin. My last car was pretty decent through four years, after which it stranded me twice.

I get a chuckle (at a minimum) from people who boast about the "reliability" of the car they've had six months, or weeks. Tell me about 150 - 200K miles and/or 10 years.

By the bye, where are these "5-year dependability studies" found? They're going to tell me what I need to know. Hmmm. . .I'm guessing we're going to have to wait about six years to get anything worthwhile regarding most of the cars that are most discussed here, and I'm probably going to get an itchy trigger finger in 2-3 years.

Oh well. . .
    You realize that if stupidity were a crime, 98% of the world would be locked up.

This is very true. The funny part is that the police here couldn't believe what their radar was telling them. They actually went to a Honda dealer to confirm that the particular bike he was riding could actually do 160mph. They didn't have a clue.

He got a 1 year suspension of his license and 30 days in jail for that little stunt. I'll try see if I can find the story.

Lexusguy,

I agree that the IQS really doesn't speak much about long-term reliability/durability, but still I'm shocked to see Acura barely clear the average. It must be those stories on other forums about the RL's awd system locking up. Mercedes' improvement here should, and I say should equal some improvement in 2008 when the 2005 cars are looked at in the dependability study. Fingers crossed.

M