Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Agreed. No matter which car is your favorite, more competition is always better for everyone. I'm very interested to see what Lexus and Mercedes bring to the table with their new fullsize cars in '07.
  • ksomanksoman Posts: 590
    I don't think it's magnesium, it's magnesium alloy.
    I've been using magnesium alloy tripods for a couple of my camera's for a few years. They are very strong and stable. They are prone to cracking on impact though. So i'm wondering how they are being used in the M... i'd guess more likely for the frame rather than the skin of the doors....???
  • jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    "The only thing more aggravating than not signaling a lane change or turn reasonably well in advance (as opposed to when it's actually in progress, or not at all) is leaving the turn signal on and driving obliviously forward. Seventy percent of Phoenix-area drivers fall into the first category and 5-10% fall into the latter (larger number in the winter and early spring)."

I smiled while reading this....you are Right ON. We're heading for Phoenix in the morning for some warm air enjoyment and relaxation...not a bad time to be there because some of the "Snowbirds" will be going home...however traffic on East 60 gets crazier everytime we go!
  • m35xm35x Posts: 1
    I had a BMW 528, a 535, anda Lexus RX 300. Just picked a new M35X.

Very complete car. Sporty, great looks, seems to have lots of power, and many "toys" to play with.
    It will take a month of driving to get more info.

M35X
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,049
    Also very aggravating is "passing on the right" -- and of course "left lane bandits."

I never knew how safe high speed driving really could be until I drove in Germany on the Autobahn. 200kph, move to the left overtake someone, flick left turnsignal once they move over, you pass, a Porsche comes upon you like you are sitting still and flashes his left signal you move over and whooooosh he passes and you remain in the center lane until you overtake someone and you move left and so on.

Here in the German city of Zinzinnati, you can be at the speed limit and move to the left lane to pass and WHAM there is someone going 48MPH in the left lane when the limit is 65 and the mean speed is 72+ -- next: mass lighting of brake lights, near misses and a potential for road rage such selfish and ignorant behavior causes.

When I took driver's ed back in the 60's, my instructor was military: "left side, passing side, right side suicide -- you hear me, boy?!?"

Yessssir.

It has stuck with me ever since -- now I know from whence it came -- Zee Germans!
    Heh. Its much the same in PA. Most places in the US, I think. What annoys me most is when there is a rig in the right lane going say 55, and a rig in the left lane going somewhere around 55.5 to 56, attempting to pass, usually in a 65 zone. PA is known for its truck traffic, so this happens quite a lot. The "left lane no trucks" signs are few and far between. While I dont like to pass on the right, I've been left with no other choice more than a few times when people like your example going 48mph absolutely refuse to leave the left lane.
    I believe disabling the DVD override is, in most states, technically illegal.

It is such behavior that will ultimately encroach on some other freedoms we all (mostly) enjoy.

Some folks go to great lengths to have hands free and eyes free cell phones in our cars -- I am convinced that the "thought and action" police will catch you driving with a movie playing in your new car and that will be another grain of sand that has fallen in the hourglass of some of our privileges.

I applaud that we still have the freedom to contemplate doing something that certainly seems to be intuitively dangerous and deadly. Yet I also hope you will seriously consider that this is not only potentially dangerous to YOU but to the other people on the highway.

If you want a DVD playing in your car you could certainly have opted for the Infiniti in car rear seat DVD system.

Obviously none of us here knows the full story -- but with all due respect to you and with respect for what I have read about TV's and other similar distractions in the front seat, I think you should disassemble the gun and smash the pieces beyond repair, if you get my drift.
    The host has commented on this before. Playing movies\TV on screens in the front of the car is illegal in several states, and it cant be discussed on the forums here.
  • jrock65jrock65 Posts: 1,371
    MotorTrend GS300 AWD Test: 7.2s 0-60

As far as I know, this is the first test number for the GS300, RWD or AWD.

The article praised the car for its interior, features, refinement, and Levinson stereo, as is virtually universally the case.

It also called the new 3.0 V6 a technological "marvel", because of its multiple variable valve timing and efficiency.

However, the article also hinted that the GS300 is lacking in power, stating that the car "struggled" up mountain grades.

---

The only numbers test of the M35 (RWD) got 6.3s 0-60.

The RL (AWD of course) usually gets about 6.7s 0-60, although it did get 6.5s once (C&D).
    C&D is very good at brake-torquing cars for quick launches, and the RL would probably benefit from this more than an M35 because the lack of low end torque would be negated. The M35 is definitely the quickest 6 in the class though, no question.
    The AWD hit has been addressed in the M35x with a lower final drive ratio. The numbers you stated are probably reasonable for the "x" and trounce the GS300 and the Audi A6 3.2 -- "if I were in charge" I would have not allowed either of these two cars to come to market with over 7.0 second ET's to 60.

I'm not in charge.
    The A6 3.2 does better than the previous 3.0 doesnt it? I know it definitely spanks the A6 2.8. I dont think the 3.2 was really meant as a repacement for the 2.7T.
  • richcreamrichcream Posts: 205
    Whatever the case, compared to the M35x, the 3.2 feels sluggish off the line.
    Even when you're up to speed, it's OK, but still noticeably slower than the M35x.

I, like Mark, cannot believe that they CHOSE to put the 3.2 out there with a 0-60 time over 7 seconds...and depending on whose doing the testing, WAY over 7.

I guess Audi figured if someone wanted more speed they would pony up the extra bucks for the 4.2, and the 3.2 would be just fine for the target demographic. I'm also guessing that Audi just didn't factor the M35(x), the upgraded 530(x)i, the upgraded E, or the new GS into the equation for the 3.2.

What did they factor in? Audi brand loyalty?
    Mark....oh, wait, forget it.
    Its just that the base engine for the A6 has always been slow. The acceleration of the 2.8 was abysmal, and Audi let that run for a few years with no engine options at all. Going from three engine options to two is a little strange, particularly since the S-line 2.7T had significantly more power than the 3.2. The 280hp VR6 may fill the void, but it means it will cost significnatly more than the M35x.
  • richcreamrichcream Posts: 205
    "The 280hp VR6 may fill the void, but it means it will cost significnatly more than the M35x."

The Audi dealer I dealt with had said that the VR6 probably wouldn't be the upgraded six cylinder engine for the A6 because of it's east-west alignment in the Passat vs. Audi's north-south engine placement. He had said that something along the lines of a 3.6 liter V6 was in the works/on the way, and that it would be the new model's replacement for the 2.7T.

I don't know if this is the case, as I am starting to learn that many car salesmen know very little about the cars they are selling, especially the new models.

Whether it is to be the VR6 or a new 3.6 liter engine, I would say that your conclusion is right on...it will have to be significantly more expensive than the M35x, as the current 3.2 is already priced a bit higher.

I thought the idea of debuting what you're expecting to be your greatest answer to the 5 Series yet is to SURPASS it (and presumably it's competition) right out of the gate. It looks like they are going to have to play catch up, and quite frankly, 3rd fiddle to both the M35x and Lexus GS AWD. Performance wise, they really missed the mark with the 3.2, IMO.
  • jrock65jrock65 Posts: 1,371
    Residual values from leasecompare.com:

36 months (15,000 per year)

2006 E350: 59%
    2006 M35: 59%
    2006 GS300: 54%
    2005 RL: 48%
    2005 A6 3.2: 47%
    Residual value is not the strong suit of the A6. The previous 4.2 in particular really tanked.
  • senneca01senneca01 Posts: 34
    It looks like Edmunds.com got some serious backlash about their $50k Japanese car comparo. I think that it is well deserved. Check it out, some pretty funny stuff if you ask me...

http://www.edmunds.com/news/column/letters/105278/article.html

Were we really that far off in our comparison of the latest sport sedans from Japan?

Well yeah, DUH! A five year-old kid could have done a better job... :P
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Well they aren't the only one to put the M45 at the back of the pack. Automobile just did the same thing, with the GS430 being second to the A6 4.2.

Lesson here: Drive them yourself.

Honestly in any comparo I can see the M45 and GS430 swaping places back and forth, but the RL over either is ridiculous imo.

M
    Automobile is probably my least favorite of the US auto rags. They've picked some outright garbage several times as "Automobiles of the year" in their history. They've even mentioned this fact themselves, and sort of implied "our bad". Notable entries are the '92 Seville, '93 Concorde\Intrepid\Vision, and '94 Dodge\Plymouth Neon. Some real idiots must've been in charge of the place during those years. They are definitely still 4th rate though.