Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Its a different Maserati than when they were selling sedans with Chrysler engines. The Quattroporte has gotten pretty good reviews, and both the sports car and sedan come with 4yr\50K warranties, twice as long as Ferrari. I've driven the Coupe Cambiocorsa, and its quite a car. It may not matter for long though, now that Maserati has been seperated from Ferrari and partnered with Alfa, they are going to make "lower-market" cars. Because that worked so well for them in the past.
  • richcreamrichcream Posts: 205
    My friend has an 2005 S55 AMG...after he had to swap through 2, count 'em 2, 2004 S55 AMGs because of major computer problems that completely disabled Nav and audio on multiple occasions in both. The dealer gave him a brand new 2005 after the back-to-back fiascos, and it seems that all is well.

That car is an absolute BEAST. I think it's 4.5 sec to 60mph...in a car with a backseat the size of a living room! You can't put your kids in the trunk of a 'vette...well you can but your wife might object. ;)

For a car of that size and comfort to be THAT fast is wonderfully absurd. Yeah, the price is up there, but for those who can afford it, why not.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,476
    "while the 4.2 doesnt share quite as many bits as the 3.0, its still very closely related to the Lincoln LS V8. Displacement is identical, and power is very close. "

LS was never offered with the 4.2 - still 3.9.
    Nor the 6 speed automatic trans.
    - Ray
    Having just listed 2 BIG reasons the LS is not on my short list . . .
  • bw45sportbw45sport Posts: 151
    Yeah, the price is up there, but for those who can afford it, why not.

Only for the reason you stated two paragraphs earlier. It now takes Benz :lemon: 3 shots to get one car to work. When they DO work they are unbelievable machines. Good luck to your friend on number 3.

At least they bought his back. They haven't been so kind to me.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    I guess I'll have to research this myself because depending on who I ask I get wildly different answers about the Jaguar AJ-V8.

Yes the Aston-Martin version is a real gem, 380hp naturally aspirated hp. That is within 10hp of what Jaguar gets from the same engine with a supercharged in place. Yes that is real engine tuning on the part of AM.

Maserati has come a long way. Just recently I saw one of those Chrysler TC's "by Maserati" which was a made over LeBaron convertible. How wonderfully dreadful.

M
    Yes this is disgraceful shame. Dare I ask which Mercedes you have and what your problems have been with it?

M
  • If you want a good looking car with a nice interior that the Audi maintenance guy will enjoy with all the visits to the shop, go with Audi. If you want a great performing, reliable car with quality materials, fit and finish and that you will be able to spend time in vs. driving a loaner, go Acura, Infiniti or Lexus.
  • bw45sportbw45sport Posts: 151
    Yes this is disgraceful shame. Dare I ask which Mercedes you have and what your problems have been with it?

As I laugh to myself, you certainly may ask and I'll be happy to answer.

I've had a fondness for Mercedes automobiles and their history since I was a wee lad and was in seventh heaven when I was able to purchase my first new Mercedes sedan 20 years ago, a 300E, at the tender age of 27. I've happily continued to buy Mercedes during this time and after a drunk driver put an end to my CLK430 Coupe two years ago I took the opportunity to buy a 2003 SL500. This, IMO, is a truly beautiful car (obsidian black/ash) that is amazing in its ability to do things so easily.......when it isn't in the shop. Unfortunately, that's where it has spent a great deal of its life in the first two years.

What types of problems have I had? Let me simply say that the list is impressive and my stack of service orders rivals the volume of paper the GAO uses to print the annual US budget. I will however, give you a brief breakdown by acronym - ESP - 3 times, ESP/BAS combo - twice, ABC - now on repair 3, SRS - 3 times ( the funny thing about these failures is that they occurred while they were attempting repair on another issue. I had not even taken the car in for an SRS problem), driver's SAM(computer control module) - twice, SAM on passenger side - twice, audio system(TeleAid, CD player, stereo) - once, no air-conditioning - once, lumbar supports on seats adjusting at their own discretion - once, and last, only because this is getting too long, scheduling a visit for the second recall on SBC (brake-by-wire). Off topic, but did you notice that SBC is missing from the upcoming S?

Unfortunately, I live in a state that is not very consumer-friendly as it relates to lemon law. After consultation with my attorney, he suggested that the reason the dealer and Mercedes had backed out on commitments to replace my car was because there was indeed a loophole in the Nebraska lemon law in the manner of the purchase of my car from the dealer. He floated a threat at them and they responded with a commitment to defend any lawsuit vigorously because the car was not covered by lemon law. So, I enjoy looking at my SL500 while I enjoy DRIVING my M45 Sport and G35 Coupe.

My apologies for the extended post but spewing can sometimes be cathartic.
    Thanks for the reply.

All things electronic it seems. I figured you had a 2003 SL, they were the worst it seems. Along with the 2003 E-Class. Both new and full of electronicals.

Yes the fancy brakes have been left off all future Mercedes because they're just too complex and even Bosch has backed away from the technology now. Just too complex and they've reportedly already developed all the SBC features into the good old fashioned brakes to be used from now on.

That list is amazing and seems to be all electrical or at least things governed by electronics. I wonder what the real problem is? Connections, wiring harness? There has to be one root to all of that, besides it not being intergrated properly.

How many miles on the car? Why not sell it?

M
  • rich545rich545 Posts: 386
    My father-in-law has the SL55 AMG. What a car that is!
  • garyh1garyh1 Posts: 386
    My father-in-law has the SL55 AMG.

Rich-- Now that's what my mother would have called marrying well!
    My friend with the S55 - his brother has a 2004 SL55 convertible, and my other buddy has an '03 CL55 AMG....they laugh at our friend with the CL500...piker. LOL.

BTW: ALL OF THEM HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH THESE CARS ranging from the "3rd time's a charm" S55 fiasco previously described, to numerous electrical problems, an unusually high number of blown tires and cracked rims (but I'll attribute that to 20" rims and low profile tires. The SL55's doors lock and unlock on their own and the window work when they want to.Oh, and the guy with the CL55 blew his tranny trying to get the car out of a snow drift. It was parked next to his Suburban....we gave him hell for that bonehead move. :P
    Yes, the AMGs abound in my circle, though none are mine :(

My friend with the S55 - his brother has a 2004 SL55 convertible, and my other buddy has an '03 CL55 AMG....they laugh at our friend with the CL500...piker. LOL.

BTW: ALL OF THEM HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH THESE CARS ranging from the "3rd time's a charm" S55 fiasco previously described, to numerous electrical problems, an unusually high number of blown tires and cracked rims (but I'll attribute that to 20" rims and low profile tires driving at high speeds over NYC potholes.)

The SL55 is a ROCKET, but it's doors lock and unlock on their own and the window work when they want to.Oh, and the guy with the CL55 blew his tranny trying to get the car out of a snow drift. It was parked next to his Suburban....we gave him hell for that bonehead move. :P
    It seems you are correct, I just assumed that as Jag increased the displacement of the AJ-V8 from 4.0 to 4.2, Lincoln would do the same, because 3.9L and 280hp is pretty uncompetitive now. Still, Lincoln LS to S-type 4.2 only gets you 14hp. Considering the .3L bump in displacement, thats not exactly a lot. Especially when Audi went from 300hp to 335 without any increase whatsoever.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,049
    . . .this will sober anyone up:

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/05_19/b3932001_mz001.htm

Couple this article with the observation that we almost literally have no participants here who talk about Cadillac's offerings (especially the STS).

Swallow hard.

Then reflect on the headline "US Economy: Going Out of Business Sale?"

I reread the purpose of this particular discussion and duly noted the lack of Cadillac in the listing of cars that would be discussed. However, the recent LPS tests in the major Car Magazines generally include the STS in the list of usual suspects.

I for one, find the lack of participants in this forum to perhaps be due to low, low, low sales numbers for the STS AND the crazy bundling of option packages that more or less forces one to spend WAY over the base model even if all you want is AWD or Magana Ride, etc?

I would not have felt like I would have had to hang my head or worse if the STS could have been packaged to make it even remotely attractive to someone shopping in the $45 to $55,000 range.
    I'd like to think his daughter married well too though!
    He really hasn't had many problems with his SL55. The only one I can think of is after idling for a long time it started stalling. Not sure what caused that. It's a tremendous car though. I've had the pleasure of driving it on a long trip while my father-in-law was dead asleep in the passenger seat so I got to play with it a bit. I thought my 545 was fast. But between his SL55 and my brother-in-law's Viper I might as well be riding a moped. My father-in-law was considering trading it in for the SL65, but I think he changed his mind. Must be nice to have those tough decisions huh?
    Interesting article. As you've said, the STS is "on the list" just like the S-type is on the list. I just dont think the STS is good enough, especially not for the Benz level pricing they think they can get. There's just not room for "average" cars anymore. When Toyota starts asking you if you "need some help" things are SERIOUSLY wrong.
  • cstilescstiles Posts: 465
    It's scary that GM is banking on the Solstice, HHR, updated Tahoe/Yukon, and H3 to support their revival. These are all niche vehicles, or else large SUVs whose penetration/interest are on the wane. If they can't make their mark with sedans, minivans, pickups, and mid-to-upper end luxury, they are toast.

The brand new Chevy Colorado just got hammered in a C&D comparo, finishing last of 5. (The Ridgeline won, BTW.)

There will be intense pressure on Cadillac to maintain momentum with luxury vehicles. Don't know if they have the goods to deliver. The onus is also on the unions to be a part of the solution rather than the problem. It will be very interesting to watch in the next few years.

I just moved a lot of my investments to the Prudent Bear and similar fixed income accounts. Is the proverbial Secular Bear about to roar over the next 2-3 year horizon? Me thinks so.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Posts: 1,289
    "It's scary that GM is banking on the Solstice, HHR, updated Tahoe/Yukon, and H3 to support their revival."

They are banking on cars like the Solstice to bring in sales & dollars, but when you go and aim for a September introduction date for a convertible you have to wonder if they are purposely trying to put themselves out of business!!! I mean...who in their right mind introduces a convertible in September???