Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

A Good Ride, So Far - 2016 Kia Optima Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited February 2016 in Kia
imageA Good Ride, So Far - 2016 Kia Optima Long-Term Road Test

Our long-term 2016 Kia Optima is one of the freshest additions to our fleet. So far things are looking pretty good, especially when it comes to ride quality.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    "Small wheels and generous tire sidewall probably deserve part of the credit, and for now things are looking good."

This right here. So many manufacturers go to huge wheels with low-profile tires and compromise ride. I like the 2016 Accord Sport, but the 19" wheels are just ridiculous. Expensive tires to replace, minimal protection from road issues and risk of damage. No thank you.
  • Options
    schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    The thing with large wheels is... it's what the public wants, as nonsensical as it may be.
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    The thing is, I look at that shot and think, wow, those are some fat sidewalls.

I totally agree that the rational aspect ratio is an overall plus, not only for the ride, but for the ability to sharply reduce the probability of a bent rim from potholes (I was a 2 time loser on that front with the 45 series tires and 17" wheels on my 2004 Jetta vs Chicago potholes). But more rim and less tire does (up to a point) look better.
  • Options
    nagantnagant Member Posts: 176
    A mid size family sedan hardly needs bigger tires and wheels than the Optima has......especially a mid priced one. It is nice to be able to replace the tires for under $400 in the future as well.
  • Options
    tlangnesstlangness Member Posts: 123
    That's another part of the equation - tire prices. At 205/16's - the tires are super inexpensive to replace, compared to some 18's and 19's at double the price.
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    Another plus for smaller wheels and tires is a really tight turning radius. Big wheels and fat tires limit how far they can turn in the wheel well.