Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Has Honda's run - run out?

Comments

• newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    "Honda used them in the non-U.S. City Turbo. But never shipped any Turbos here."

Sure they do:

http://powersports.honda.com/watercraft/index.asp?bhcp=1

I saw a few of them on the lakes last summer. I can't wait to try one.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    I get the dunce award for today. How I could forget the Cayenne turbo, I just don't know.

But look at those other examples. It says something (maybe some LITTLE thing) that Ferrari and Lamborghini don't use forced induction at all.

It is just purer not to, I dunno. I will be very disappointed the day Honda resorts to superchargers or turbos. For one thing, they kill your mileage every time. The thing about a high-revving engine (certainly Honda's, anyway) is that when you are just tootling around town running errands, you can get some pretty fantastic mileage. S/C's and turbos are always dragging the extra gear. I remember commuting in a Saab 9-3 turbo for a week with the teensy little 2.0 4-cyl turbo and getting only 22 mpg or so in a car that is only about 3000 pounds. Not that good, to say the least. My own car at the time had about the same power rating, a bigger engine, and would do low 30s all the time under the same conditions.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    If Civic gets 2.4 in Europe, RSX may get 2.4-liter engine here. And that could mean 200-210 HP for the base model, and 240 HP for the Type-S (slightly detuned version of the rumored 250 HP power plant in the next CTR). TSX could get 240 HP too!

I think if AHM decides to keep the Acura RSX for the US market, we will definitely see the RSX with the 2.4-liter I-4 i-VTEC engine rated at 245 bhp (SAE) as the updated RSX Type-S. That same engine--in somewhat less peaky tune--will go into the Acura TSX rated at 220 bhp (SAE). We'll probably see a 200 bhp (SAE) version of this new engine go into a two-door coupé version of the next-generation Civic due this coming fall.

This way, Civic sales won't affect RSX sales, and the TSX gets a more powerful engine.

Here's some interesting speculation about the new engine: will it also sport direct fuel injection and stratified combustion in addition to the i-VTEC valvetrain? I have the feeling that even the US-market version of what amounts to a much-updated K24 engine will have both.
  • avs007avs007 Member Posts: 100
    I will be very disappointed the day Honda resorts to superchargers or turbos. For one thing, they kill your mileage every time. The thing about a high-revving engine (certainly Honda's, anyway) is that when you are just tootling around town running errands, you can get some pretty fantastic mileage. S/C's and turbos are always dragging the extra gear

I thought we just concluded that argument image I hope we aren't going to argue it again image
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    BMW and Honda, yes. Porsche, no. Porsche has a history of using forced induction.

Honda has some history of forced induction but in very limited models. Honda used to make a turbo charged version of Honda City (a car that has evolved into Jazz/Fit/City in various markets), and Honda Dunk Turbo (a mini car in the Japanese market). Among non-automotive applications (and currently available in North America), Honda offers turbo charged 1.2-liter DOHC I-4 (good for 165 HP) in one of its water crafts.

And of course, for diesel engines, turbo charger is there (BMW as well as Honda).
    "I thought we just concluded that argument I hope we aren't going to argue it again"

The verbal duel between you two got so tiresome that I didn't read the last 100 posts of it. However, I was merely stating an opinion based on my own real-world experience which has been substantially in favor of the non-forced-induction engines.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Pushing a pushrod to 9000 rpm isn’t a big deal either. Honda has done it (and probably continues to), for one of its motorcycle engines. ;-)

If anything, I think Acura needs a V8.

I don’t think there is a need at this time, only want. If V8 was all that people needed, why would you see GM offering STS with 3.5/V6 whereas in the past 4.6/V8 was standard? And, the same goes for Infiniti M.

For Honda, there is plenty of growth to be had without having to invest on new platforms and engine. Until then, V8 simply remains a want for a few not a need.

And you can have a high torque engine, with a high redline. Saying that a high torque engine has a 5000RPM redline is a bit much

High redline by itself is meaningless. To make it useful, you also want a sustained torque output. That’s where you get engines like the 3.2/V6 in TL (or 3.5/V6 used in RL). But, in these cases, perception takes over regardless of how uninformed it might be. People look at ratings of 225 HP/240 lb.-ft differently from ratings of 260 HP/245 lb.-ft.
    "Honda has some history of forced induction but in very limited models. Honda used to make a turbo charged version of Honda City (a car that has evolved into Jazz/Fit/City in various markets), and Honda Dunk Turbo (a mini car in the Japanese market). Among non-automotive applications (and currently available in North America), Honda offers turbo charged 1.2-liter DOHC I-4 (good for 165 HP) in one of its water crafts."

All of that has already been pointed out. Pay attention, lol. See posts 3958 and 3960. Thanks anyway though.
    Oh I know! But I didn’t care (or had to) to go through all the posts before responding. You got tired of hearing the same thing over, eh? :-)
    I have actually seen a few of those turbo Hondas out on Lake Minnetonka here in MN. I'm really curious about those because they're so much different than the other personal watercraft. Most of those types of watercraft are 2 strokes, but the Honda basically has a motorcycle engine with a turbo. Besides less pollution, I'm not sure if that engine set up is the best idea for a personal watercraft. The two stroke engines are lighter, more powerful, and way less complicated (no valves, no camshafts, no turbo, less cylinders, etc.)
    "You got tired of hearing the same thing over, eh? :-)"

No, just had to let you know that you were pointing something out to me that I had orignally pointed out myself. ;)
    2-stroke engines will be out as stricter emissions control take effect, even from racing! 4-stroke engines are the future in areas that were dominated by 2-stroke motors so far. I’m not sure if Honda continues to produce 2-stroke engines for motorcycles (PWC is classified as a motorcycle). There has been a rumor that Honda is going to phase out even its OHV engines in favor of OHC designs.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    Civic versus Jazz/Fit:

"Civic may have reached a point when its sales are likely to stay around 300K-325K units per year regardless of Honda does with it(without resorting to massive incentives and double digit fleet sales). In Addition, Civic is expected to get more features(including standard ABS and side airbags) and that could make a Civic a $14.5K car."

Yeah I know Honda does not like to sell to fleets. They already have had 1.9%-2.9 APR financing on the current Civic model for at least a few years now. That autoweek article that somebody posted on this board too said that Honda offered dealer cash on 03 Civics as well. 03 happened to be the first year that Honda since 96 that Honda missed selling 300K Civic's. Thats not a big deal in my opinion that Honda didn't go at or over 300K Civic sales for 03(they sold 299K for 03 anyway.)

With the 06 Civic do you know if the DX model is out and if Honda will just sell LX, and EX trims? I can't picture a 06 Civic DX or LX stickered at 14.5K with ABS and standard airbags.

Accord Sales:

"Honda has seen worse drop in Accord sales a decade ago. After averaging 403 units/year from 1990-1992, sales plummeted to just 330K units in 1993. Went up a little to 367K units, and went down in 1995 to 341K units. Remember these sales were for an Accord that had a drastic version on the outside compared to the old."

Ok about the 1993 the drop in Accord sales was probably based on 2 factors: The Accord was in its last year of redesign and also for the 93 model year a brand new versions of the Nissan Altima and Mazda 626 came out. Also with the 94-95 Accord they tried to get younger buyers but missed with the older crowd in my opinion. I did like Honda for taking a chance with the 5th generation Accord styling though. I wonder if you have sales numbers for the 96 and 97 Accords too.

"It was the rubber maid style(as some reviwers and many people quoted) 1998-2002 version that brought home much better sales(averaging about 400K units.) With the current Accord, Honda tried to break the mold, and it was dismissed, Perhaps a safe approach would be the better way to go about the next Accord(noticing how people are going gaga about Altima and Camry Styling."

I don't see how the exterior styling of the 1998 is rubber maid. Honda hit a bullseye in my opinion with the 98 Accord. The young people bought and the older audience bought the last generation Accord as well. It was just a matter of Honda just having the right product at the right time.

I don't see how Honda tried to break the mold with the current Accord. The interior is better than the last one and the car itself is better than the 98 all except the exterior styling.

About people going gaga about the Altima and Camry styling the Altima I can understand, the Camry I don't see many people going crazy over the exterior styling.

"Something intreseting, however, is that as much as we see Civic being bashed foor lack of features and power, its sales are up. OTOH, Accord is loaded with features and is among the more powerful vehicles around with a fantastic interior, yet it ends up losing some sales."

Well with the Civic with the 04 revisions sales are up. The lack of features we have talked about this before but having to go up to the EX model in order to get ABS fustrated some buyers with the 01-05 Civic. Hopefully Honda clarifies the lack of features issue with the 06 Civic redesign. As for the Accord the 03 redesign did not appeal to a variety of old and young buyers alike. I mean I;m 25 I would have bought a 99 Accord. However I would not buy an 04 Accord because I don't care for the styling of it. Thats the thing Honda has to watch because they have the following of the young people. The totally threw them off with the 03 Accord Sedan redeign. The Coupe is doing well with the young crowd. In my opinion they still need younger buyers with the sedan model.

BTW, Intrestingly enough Honda threw off the older crowd with the 94 Accord restyle and threw off the younger crowd with the 03 Accord restyle. Its tough being a designer in the car industry.
    "its interseting to see that Honda's reversing its trend towards making its headlights bigger. Does this mean the Accord wil follow suit?"

Yeah thats interesting to me too. Interestingly enogh Honda goes back and forth with making headlights bigger and smaller. The headlights of the 96-98 Acura TL are huge. The 99-01 TL had very small headlights. The revisions for the 02-03 TL had bigger headlights than than the 99-01 TL's. Now the 04+ TL's headlights are smaller than the 02-03 models.

Thats the thing that bothers me with the curent generation of Accord the headlights are small just like the 01 Civic. In my opinion Honda's current exterior styling theme with the exception of the S2K follows the front end treatment of the 01 Civic. The Civic front end works out well with the current 05 Oddy but doesn't work well with the 03 Accord, and 02 CR-V in my opinion. The 99 Oddy interestingly enough had the same front end styling theme as the 98 Accord.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    And there I was thinking we were talking about cars in an automotive forum. Now watercraft? I didn't know those could be registered to drive on the street.
    Hey, why not? Honda makes all kinds of stuff, and they do ship turbos here. Not cars though, you're right.

The only reason why I know about them is because I saw a couple of them hangin' out at big island on Minnetonka. I saw the turbo stickers, and I thought, Wow!

I wonder if they make riding lawn mowers with those engines, that'd be something else. I don't have a lawn, but I'd love to own a turbo lawn mower. I'd soop it up. Throw a wing on there, get a nice loud blow off valve, maybe crank the boost up a little, and get a huge [non-permissible content removed] exhaust pipe. Oh yeah, I'd need one of those digital boost controllers too. I'd love hear to hear the turbo hissing when you have to mow through thick, long grass, and going up hills. Crank it up to rabbit speed, and then back to turtle speed and hear the blow off valve. Lol.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Hasn't Honda also sold turbo motorcycles?

Having said that I doubt they'll go in that direction. Remember when the Prelude ads targeted the DSMs with "turbocharger, schmurbocharger" ads?

-juice
    But I wouldn't discuss closet space when talking about storage space in cars. Kinda off topic.
    "Remember when the Prelude ads targeted the DSMs with "turbocharger, schmurbocharger" ads?"

Yeah, I remember those. Stock vs. Stock, the Prelude was a pretty good match for the DSM cars, but the DSM cars were just way too easy to modify. At drag racing events, you'll see about 20 DSM cars to one Prelude. VTEC SCHMETEC.

"Toyota builds houses"

Wow, I didn't know that. Are there Lexus and Scion houses too?
    True, but Prelude had reliability all over the DSM cars.

-juice
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Why would anyone take a Prelude to a drag racing event?

Why not bring a Lambo to an ORV park...
    Hey, the Diablo VT has AWD...

LOL

-juice
    "Why would anyone take a Prelude to a drag racing event?"

I don't know. Why would anyone take a Civic to a drag racing event? Or an Integra for that matter? There are much better cars available to use for drag racing, yet there are Civics and Integras out the ying yang at drag racing events.

Back on topic....

I think Honda should introduce an Acura line of lawn equipment.

My first idea:

A riding lawn mower with a leather seat, leather throttle lever and steering wheel, a xenon headlight, alloy wheels, lawn navigation system, and SH AWD for rich people who still like to mow their own lawn. What do you think?
  • driftracerdriftracer Member Posts: 2,448
    What's the problem? We're not in 1968 anymore...
    "FWD cars drag racing? What's the problem?"

Traction. Weight transfer.

There are some quick FWDers out there, but even today, in 2004, you cannot deny that RWD cars are much easier to set up for drag racing and are a better setup than FWD.

As far as I know, the top fuels and funny cars are still RWD. I don't think we'll ever see John Force in a FWD Civic. Lol.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Who said anything about FWD?

I just think of the Prelude as a cornering car, not a straight line racer.
    Civic was not the only car that struggled in sales during calendar year 2003. It was a slow year in general, so Civic missing 300K by couple of hundred units wasn’t a big deal. Actually, Honda as a whole sold fewer cars in 2003 (compared to 2002) but managed to increase its market share (from 10.3% to 10.8%).

I can't picture a 06 Civic DX or LX stickered at 14.5K with ABS and standard airbags.

Why not? Try to picture Mazda3i with a sticker of $14.5K without ABS and Side Airbags. Add AC, and the price jumps to $15.5K. And we have not talked about ABS and SAB or destination cost, yet. This should give you an idea of where the market is.

the 1993 the drop in Accord sales was probably based on 2 factors

There are always some factors involved. The point was that ups and downs are part and parcel of doing business over a long term. To address your point, however, the sales I quoted were calendar year sales, and included that of the newly designed 1994 Accord (typical new model year launch is September of every year).

I don't see how the exterior styling of the 1998 is rubber maid.

I don’t either. But, I have read it, in these forums, and in expert reviews (if you can believe that).

lack of features we have talked about this before but having to go up to the EX model in order to get ABS fustrated some buyers with the 01-05 Civic

I agree, and this is something Honda is supposed to address with the redesign that ABS and SAB will be standard across the board (already is, in Accord). But, Honda isn’t alone. I quoted Mazda3 above. Mazda has opted to package ABS and SAB with 16” alloy & Power package, so to get something that shouldn’t add more than $500 to the cost, you end up paying $2200. In the end, you have a Mazda3 with MSRP that costs as much or more than Civic EX.
    benefit in drag racing, I just think it's ludicrous to slam a person for thinking of racing a Prelude - I know of two 10 second Preludes in my area...and that's not street racing hype or smack talk.

There are 8 second Civics, 9 second Integras - sure, you may have better weight transfer with a Mustang, but a 8/9/10 second car is an 8/9/10 second car...
    "There are 8 second Civics, 9 second Integras - sure, you may have better weight transfer with a Mustang, but a 8/9/10 second car is an 8/9/10 second car..."

Not really. 8-9 second Civics are rare and most likely tube-frame Frankenstein cars. 8-9 seconds Mustangs aren't a big deal. Mustangs have been doin' wheelies when Civics still had CVCC engines. It takes a lot of work to get any car to run a 8-9 second quarter mile, but it takes A LOT of work to get a FWD car to do so. As far as drag racing is concerned, a FWD setup just isn't very practical, but that doesn't stop people from using FWD cars.

As far as DSM cars are concerned, the AWD ones are crazy drag racers. They're out there running 10s and 11s with street radials and stock rims and they look completely stock. They'll run those 1/4 mile times on the street, not just the strip. Beware when you pull up next a DSM with a big exhaust pipe, they might just dump on your Viper or Porsche twin turbo. That ain't happenin' with a FWD Honda. I've been to tons of drag racing events and street races in MN, WI, and CA, so I've seen a lot of this stuff.
    has a 1991 Eagle Talon (TSi AWD) with a Buschur long block and 18G turbo, custom front mount, big fuel components...only 6 grand total into the car, we don't drag race, but I'm sure we're in the high 11s or low 12s.

Yeah, and 3" exhaust....high flow cat, Flowmaster muffler, all legal, even in picky-emissions PA (just like CA).

Funny how all the guys in Civics always want him to run on the street.
    So you know exactly what I'm talking about with those DSM cars. They're freaking nuts.

You can't really drive a 10 or 11 second Honda on the street because driving a FWD car with drag radials or slicks on a public road isn't that smart....unless you don't need to turn. And if you take the slicks off, it's not a 10 or 11 second Honda anymore.

That's why I like RWD or AWD for drag racing. With AWD, you could basically run those times with a set of Uniroyal Tiger Paws, lol. And with a RWD car, you can still drive the car on the street with drag radials.
    another reason why Honda needs to build an affordable AWD car to compete with the EVO, WRX, and those old DSMs...young folks would eat it up.
    is easy to modify to get more power. 400 hp Audi 1.8T's, 400 hp MR2/Celica Turbo 2.0L, and the ungodly amount of power people get out of the Supra 3.0 I6. It seems the only limiting factors are power vs. reliability or low end instant power with a small turbo vs. top end high lag power with a larger one.

I would like to see Honda build a AWD TSX sized sedan. But since I wouldn't plan on racing or anything, they wouldn't have to go forced induction to catch my attention. The EVO and STI have the "fast engine but cheap interior" thing down. I wouldn't mind a high content and competent handling performance sedan.

But even if you based it on a loaded version of the Civic(they make some VERY nice Civics in other countries) AWD, a 240hp engine, and more luxury features would run the cost up to over $25k. Ain't nobody gonna pay that much for a loaded Civic. Actually though, that much content would probably require it to be an Acura further increasing the markup. I could imagine the Edmunds forum for THAT car.
  • durability05durability05 Member Posts: 142
    I have a well maintained Honda Accord, that had auto trans. failure, and I own a 2004 Pilot EX, the I hear on the web, is suppose to have potential trans. problems. Being a recent convert to Honda's, I am very dissappointed in Honda durability. Honda has to provide 100K power train warranties to get me back. I bought a 05 Focus Z4, Nice Euro style and handling, forget about the nice Honda interiors. I like my 05 Focus , and 04 wrangler better.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Which model years of Accords are affected by the problem transmissions? I'm thinking of buying a 1998 model but don't want to be saddled with transmission problems. Been there and done that with a 1990 Sable!
  • durability05durability05 Member Posts: 142
    1990 to 2002 Accords have trans. problems, I recall the 1998-2002 were given extended warranties up to I think 90K miles/ 7 years. I remember the junk 1st & 2nd gen. Taurus trans. However Honda needs to give us a 100K warranty on paper like Ford , Hyundai, Kia etc. It is not good to let the customers be at their mercy with possible extended after the fact warranties.

Honda's have great quality, but poor long term drive train durability.
    out of the thousands and thousands of Honda owners in the(now) 6 states I cover, I've seen ONE transmission failure lemon law case in the last 4 years, and that was on an Odyssey...

Durability? Please...
    I don't know about Accords, but I know on the TL's, the trannies are going left and right. Out of everyone I know with TL's, ALL of them had tranny problems, myself included. Maybe it's because the TL has a more powerful engine than the accord, I don't know. But what ticks off all the guys on the TL boards, is that the extended warranty Honda gave us is WORTHLESS! It is, becuase Honda has not fixed the problem. They released a recall for a 2nd gear problem, that not many people have experienced. The real problem is the third-gear clutch pack. So Honda makes people think they are doing something, when they actually aren't doing anything. But like I was saying, they can replace my tranny under warranty, but they are just giving me another defective tranny in return. After 100,000 miles, I'll have to swallow this cost on my own. That's rediculous. I know people that are on their 4th tranny in 60,000 miles.

FWIW, not everyone that had a tranny failure seeks lemon law action. You have to have 4 failures before you can lemon a car in most states. Some people don't want to sit on such a time-bomb, and trade the car off after the first 2 or so failures. Besides, some states, like Oregon, don't even have a lemon law. At least that's what the dealer told me when I bought one of my other cars in Oregon.
    "400 hp Audi 1.8T's, 400 hp MR2/Celica Turbo 2.0L, and the ungodly amount of power people get out of the Supra 3.0 I6. It seems the only limiting factors are power vs. reliability or low end instant power with a small turbo vs. top end high lag power with a larger one."

Supras are insane. There are people with 1000 hp and a stock bottom end.

Do a google search for "Bryce's dyno" or "Bryce's Supra" and there's a video of a Supra on a dyno putting down 850 hp to the wheels. You HAVE to hear that thing, it has one nasty loud turbo shriek. If evil has a sound, it sounds like that Supra.
    "You have to have 4 failures before you can lemon a car in most states"

There's a lot more to lemon law cases than just the lemon law - time to do some research and understand your rights more.

There are three statutes that cover a vehicle in this situation, not just one. The lemon laws in each state are based on an assumed number for reasonable repair attempts. PA is 3. NJ is 4. We've won HUNDREDS of cases based on ONE significant repair, like a transmission failure.

Additionally, the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Improvement Act and the Uniform Commercial Code, both Federal, have no such provision for minimum repair attempts.

Your information isn't correct.
    while dealing with this transmission issue, and while Honda/Acura owners are hurt to see their perfect brands show some problems, you should REALLY take a look at GM and Ford transmission cases, if you want to feel better. I've done over 100 Ford Windstar cases where each van had the original transmission, plus at least 3 remans prior to 30,000 miles...

I guess what I'm saying it - "so you think YOU'RE upset..?"

Post #4,000. Cool.
    about little ol' Honda's woes. Never thought I would see it. Personally, I say there are some bumps in Honda's road right now, but it can still sit more comfortably than many brands in the market, it is aware of some of the things that need to be done in the near term (starting with this current safety-focused ad campaign and going on to a major Civic revision eight months from now), and it really doesn't have 4000 posts worth of problems. :-)

I don't know about ford, but GM actually has a pretty good reputation for building reliable, smooth automatic units. Even such companies as Volvo and BMW use GM trannies.

You should talk to Rusky. I think he has it down to an art form. Every 14,000 miles on the dot, the tranny in his TL goes kaput.
    "GM actually has a pretty good reputation for building reliable, smooth automatic units"

Smooth perhaps, but reliable? GM has a full-blown brand name for their remanufactured transmissions - SRTA, or SERTA, as they're called in GM shops - other manufacturers don't have a separate brand name for their remans - GM uses a LOT of remans, for a LOT of failures. You're welcome to check my GM stats. You'd think differently about that "reliable" statement after perusing the GM cases I have on hand.

In addition to Volvo and BMW, Jaguar uses GM transmissions in their older cars. And there we have it - other than Kia and Hyundai, Jag, BMW, and Volvo are the next must unreliable vehicles in the market, with stats to back up my statement.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,517
    Since Honda is replacing the trannys, doesn't that keep them from becoming a lemon law case? If they fulfilled their warranty obligations (and in some cases extending it), they avoid the Lemon law cases.

I could see it being different if they tried to blow it off, or were not able to rectify the problem.

All these TL issues don't make me feel better about getting the wife an Odyssey next month!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

obligations and being a lemon, or falling under the Mag-Moss or UCC statutes are different things.

It doesn't matter that it was fixed under warranty; it doesn't matter that it didn't cost you anything out of pocket. What matters is that it broke at all, plus the fact that when comparing this vehicle, with a negative service/repair history, to a vehicle with a clean history, I would devalue the vehicle, or at auction, chose not to buy it. There's your "significant impairment of value", the primary provision in all three statutes.

If you also have down time from the repair(s), or a breakdown while driving, there's the safety and use arguments for a lemon law/Mag-Moss slam dunk.
    I thought that BMW's reliability curse has been electrical gremlins, not powertrain gremlins.

As for GM trannies, I'm no expert on the subject, I'm just going by hearsay, and the fact that my parents were GM nuts, and none of their cars had tranny issues, and they easily drove a combined million+ miles on all their GM cars. I happen to own two myself, (in addition to an Acura and Infiniti), and I drove both those cars past 100,000 miles without issues.

But for the separate brand... There could be a bunch of reasons for that. There is no reason to create a separate brand just for the heck of it. Lots of GM's component vendors started out as separate entities or even companies. That and GM Powertrain makes engines/transmissions for more than just cars, they also make stuff for commercial and marine equipement as well.

By any chance were the GM issues you were dealing with, from the mid-late 80's? I know GM had a dud of a tranny in the 80's, but the 4T60-E/4T65-E family was supposed to rectify that.

Besides, GM sells more cars, engines, and trannies than ANY OTHER CAR COMPANY ON THE PLANET. Naturally that means you will have more remanufactured units being made, but that doesn't mean anything in-and-of itself. Besides, GM also has lots of fleet sales. I don't know about you, but I've heard most rental companies don't bother with maintenence on their fleet, let alone the customer. But that's besides the point. When you have high volume fleet sales, sometimes you need to have high volume parts to back it up, even if it doesn't fail, as per CONTRACT OBLIGATION (especially when dealing with government contracts). That in-and-of itelf could be a reason for having a division doing nothing but remanufactured stuff.
    "By any chance were the GM issues you were dealing with, from the mid-late 80's?"

No, I wasn't doing this job in the late '80s, I was in the Air Force through 1992.

All of my cases deal with recent/current model cars still under warranty or just out. The breakdown on my GM cases this week is one 1999, 3 2000s, 2 2001s, 2 2002s, 9 2003s, and 3 2004s.
    I have an 02 Acura CL with 23,900 miles on it and have yet to see a tranny problem. I live in NJ by the way. Maybe because its the base model and not the Type S model. The TL and CL started to have alot of tranny problems when the Type S model came out.

I thought though Honda cured the tranny problems with the V6 with the 03 Accord. I'm wondering if the poster who posted with the blown tranny in his Accord had a 4 cylinder or a 6 cylinder model?

About Gm tranny's my parents have owned GM cars for years and have never seen a tranny failure but we did have 1 lemon car from GM. Ford made some bad tranny's with the Tarus. My Dad had like 3 Tarus's as company cars(one 80's model and a 99 and 00 model)and he never had a tranny faiure. Some people have different experiences with the same cars I guess. I really don't know.
    "In addition to Volvo and BMW, Jagaur uses Gm transmissions in their older cars. And there we have it-other than Kia and Hyundai, Jag, BMW, and Volvo are the next most unreliable vehicles's in the market, with stats to back up my statement."

I understand Kia is unreliable and Volvo has had shaky reliability especially the first year the XC 90 was put out in the Is market which was last year i think. I disagree with you with BMW and Hyundai. Hyundai has improved its reliability greatly since 1998 when they started offering 10 year/100K mile warranty's. BMw of late their reliability has slipped mainly because of the issues with the I-Drive. Pre-I Drive's BMw's were pretty reliable.
This discussion has been closed.