Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic Hybrid Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,020
Share your Civic Hybrid purchase experience here.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

Comments

• midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Posts: 1,978
    1002 of 1007 What is a good price for a 5-speed Civic Hybrid? by midnightcowboy Apr 28, 2004 (2:57 pm)
    Is this a good price?

The msrp sticker on the 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid v4 sedan with 5 speed manual transmission is $20,140.00.
    The factory invoice cost on that model no.(ES956) is $18,444.73..

The special end of the month purchase price will be - - - - - - - - - - - -
    $18,239.00 sales price
       $1139.94 sales tax .0625
         $181.05 lic, title
             $45.23 inventory tax
    Well, I’ve been reading this board, researching every site from Edmunds to Motor Trend to Consumer reports. Don’t know what sales are like elsewhere in the country for Hybrids, but a buddy was shopping for a Prius and was told he’d be on a waiting list for 9+ months and they would set the price the day they called him. Instead he decided to go for the Honda Civic Hybrid. According to Motor Trend the two get similar gas mileage in the real world. I don’t own a Prius so I really can’t say.

It was funny because I had spent the week shopping around for a HCH and when I came into work there is was in our parking lot – right down to the color I wanted. I didn’t find out until today that it was his. I’ve spent a week going back and forth with several dealers. I thought I had the deal I wanted, but they couldn’t get the color right so I sent out a pile of emails asking for the lowest price I thought I could get.

I gave my local dealer the first shot at my business. Unfortunately they would not deal on price. I finally found out why today. They’d sold the car I had driven earlier this week and were having no luck trying to swap a regular Civic to get one. Thing is, the HCH’s are flying off the car lots like hotcakes around here. Dealers that have them will dig in their heels and try to get at least full MSRP. Moreover I’d spent a couple of days waiting for the local guy to find the color I wanted in the 5sp and was led to believe that he could swap etc. When I told him the price I’d found he told me it was unlikely I had the price right and that no one could sell it for that etc etc and to give him a call if it didn’t pan out. Riiiiiight. You waste my time and BS me so I’m going to give you more than the view of my butt walking away.

Next guy did a GREAT sales job. He just didn’t have the Mag. Metallic I wanted. He had a white auto and a white 5sp. I had him down to a price I was pretty happy with. Using the white car (second pick color) as a backup I shopped the local dealers via internet. To make it interesting I dropped a couple of hundred off my offer…then I went to lunch. One guy left a message saying he doubted I understood that that price was NOT the out the door price and to give him a call if that was the case. If on the other hand it WAS the case I’d better buy it because it wouldn’t get any sweeter.

A couple of “that price can’t be right” emails later a HUGE local dealer said “Yep”. He had that exact color in stock and could do the price. I called him up. Reviewed that he was talking outthedoorthattswhatIwritethecheckfor price. “Yep” he said. I went by after work and bought the car on the spot – without even seeing it. Honda has quality control knocked and every car I’d driven so far could have been interchanged.

I got it for $19111.65.
    That’s taxes, DMV, “Doc Fee” yadda yadda yadda – and what I wrote the check for. Calculating in the Dealers Delivery fee, less the Holdback, add taxes and the rest and the dealer comes up with $700 on a car that they are having problems keeping on the lot. I’m sure someone somewhere did better, but – from what I’ve seen happening on the lots this week - it was the best deal going in this neck of the woods. My target is usually $500 over true dealer cost and I’ve never failed to hit it until now.

Keeping in mind I have relatives and friends that are in the business of selling new cars (not a Honda dealer in the bunch) I'm here to tell you that with gas at $2.00+ a gallon anything lower than MSRP is a pretty good deal. Maybe that'll change if the prices go down. Maybe not.

I'd like to thank the folks at Edmunds for all their great information. Could not have done as well without it. And now I pass the official buying baton on to the next HCH shopper. Good luck.
  • kwbyronkwbyron Posts: 1
    I decided last month to trade in my truck, after sending a bucket load of e-mails, asking for prices, I got a reply quoting me 17,650, "GOOD FOR THREE DAYS" We have come to a new price of 18,094 plus ttl, fees, ext. but I seem to have gotten good on it, I should pick it up today! I had to compromise on the color but with gas at 2.16/gal, it's not that big. Dealership has told me they are selling them for MSRP now and it's at least a month till delivery.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    Congrats on your new ride. Fically, I don't think it is wise to trade in only to save on gas. Whatever you lose on trade and paying premium for the hybrid will most likely not be recovered from gas savings, unless you keep the car for 10 years, and gas prices go up to $3-4/gallon.
    The main reason to buy a hybrid is to save the environment. I wonder what effect "day after tomorrow" had on SUV and Hybrid sales?
  • Just got a sweet magnesium 2004 automatic HCH for $19,300. Wondering if I got it low enough, given the end of the season. It was the last 2004 hybrid of any color on the local lots.

Also-- I was told there is no difference between 2004s and 2005s. Do you think that's true?
  • I live in Pasadena/Los Angeles, CA area. I do need a new car and looking into Honday Hybrid because Prius is way too expensive quoted for 28K w/o tax license and such...For people who bought the Hybrid with the price range within my area of 19.8K out the door...anyone who lives in my area can recommend me to a dealer that would sell it for around that price? Thanks....
  • vwxyzvwxyz Posts: 1
    Just bought one for 18950 + TTL
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    I live in Pasadena/Los Angeles, CA area. I do need a new car and looking into Honday Hybrid because Prius is way too expensive quoted for 28K w/o tax license and such...For people who bought the Hybrid with the price range within my area of 19.8K out the door...anyone who lives in my area can recommend me to a dealer that would sell it for around that price? Thanks....

I don't know if it were a freudian slip, Honday Hybrid , lol. If you are looking for a hybrid, and from your post it seemed like you just want A hybrid, on a budget. Check out the Insight. Cheaper alternative to the Civic Hybrid.
  • jaa37jaa37 Posts: 67
    Nimbus -- what was the price not including TTL? And this was a 2004 or 2005 5-spd? Thanks!
  • ryanjwryanjw Posts: 1
    Omaha, NE:

$19440

$925 (extended warranty...7yr 100k mi $0 deductable)

Out The door for $20,365+tax.

This was my first color choice and the best deal that I could possibly finagle...Great dealer, O'daniel Honda in Omaha.
  • bbb99bbb99 Posts: 55
    It had 20K on it and I got it for $14,500. With TTL it came to $15,700. Good deal?
  • I just recently bought my 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid CVT in February 2005 for exactly $20,814.39 OTD and I am 100% satisfied with that price and had no problem finding it in the new Eternal Blue Pearl color. HOTT! I live in the southwest suburbs of Chicago, IL and bought it from the nicest salesperson in Community Honda in Orland Park, IL. I could not find the PZEV version of the car in Illinois, which sucked because that's what really lowered emissions on the Hybrid, but I rationalized the the lack of greenhouse emission being perfect that I would just go ahead and buy it. Hope I helped.
  • tacogrrltacogrrl Posts: 1
    I'm excited! First new car ever, first two were used (4 year olds), from GM, and expensive to maintain.

I dreaded doing the car buying thing, so much so, that I put off buying a new one for over two years. Tired of throwing good money after bad, so I traded in my tired and busted Saturn for a shiny 2005 Civic Hybrid.

After researching Prius vs Civic Hybrid, options, prices, etc, I bought it from a dealership here on the peninsula with 14 miles on it, and at 19050$, pre-TTL and trade-in. I got quotes via email, called around some more, asked dealers if they could beat the previous lowest quote.

All in all, not such a bad experience after all; I think I even enjoyed it.

cheers!
  • markdelmarkdel Posts: 56
    good experience driving it. The buying experience was not so good. The car was bought at list, but when I asked the dealer to try and finance it through my credit union he set it up through an inhouse "friend" of the dealership. Maybe I should have complained but I was caught up in the buying experience and it was close to closing time, and my wife wanted to go home, ... Anyway I own the car and am happy with it.
    However, I just received a letter from Honda to bring it in for a reprograming on the ECM and after that the car now gets better milage and the battery seems to charge better. :surprise:
  • Thanks to Edmunds I have done a lot of research over the past month and have gone from wanting to buy a used luxury to now wanting a HCH. I also live in the Bay area and have been quoted $21,660 OTD, no trade-in, cash down. The dealerships telling me these are flying out the door. Also, when I am telling them Edmunds Invoice, they are telling me they go off of Kelley's Blue Book. Any ideas on how to counter this? I want to buy this weekend.
  • Any ideas on how to counter this? I want to buy this weekend.

Take the lowest quote you've received, and e-mail it to all the dealerships within 100 miles (it may take quite a bit of time). Ask them to beat that quote if they want your business. Good luck!
  • Your advice has been invaluable. I am in the midst of negotiating with three dealers all fighting to give me the lowest price! One dealer is now committing in writing to beat any price I am quoted by at least by $100.00! Thank you!
  • Today I purchased a 2005 HCH for $19,400 (includes destination). On top of that I paid fees (taxes and license) and also opted for the extended warranty (5 years, 100K - because I drive a lot). OTD was $22, 189. I was very pleased with the dealership and would recommend them to anyone, Manly Honda in Santa Rosa, CA. They bent over backwards for me and were very flexible, not pushy. I understand that with the extended warranty, if it is not used, (including the Roadside Assistance), you get your money back at the end of 5 years. Sounded good to me. Thanks civicex05! This was fun!
  • torque1torque1 Posts: 1
    Today, I overpaid for a 2005 HCH CVT. It would have been $22,169 out the door but they convinced me to get a 6 yr, 75K warrantee and the alarm for $24K out the door. Sunnyvale Honda, Sunnyvale, CA. Sigh.
  • The alarm was probably unnecessary, but I bought a 5-year warranty on '02, figuring that the tech was so new I wanted to be covered. It came in handy earlier this summer when the EGR valve had to be replaced, and I wasn't charged a penny.