Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tundra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• White 06 Tundra V6 Access Cab SR5 $16,288 after 4K rebate. Manhattan Beach Toyota.
  • dreasdaddreasdad Posts: 276
    1,000 Rebate on 2007 Tundra's to Active Military Personnel
    from Gulf States Toyota!!!!!!
    3.9% for 36, 4.9% for 48, 5.9% for 60
  • I'm interested in a truck such as this, but it seems the prices quoted here run everywhere from $20K to $30K.
    This price seems to be a real price in that is the final price, but I see there was a trade in.

What puzzles me is that the price seems rather high unless there was a rather high trade in allowance. What I'm trying to say, what would her price have been had they offered her the wholesale price for the 2004 Camry traded in? In other words, was it a good deal or not?
  • I recently bought the all new 2007 Toyota Tundra Double Cab w/ TRD off road, and the mighty 5.7 liter beast. The sticker MSRP was around 35K, but thanks to Edmunds and this forum, I got the truck for about 32K. Thank you Edmunds for helping me buy the all new Tundra for a great price. ;)
  • jfritschjfritsch Posts: 958
    With the 07 Ford F150 and Silveradoes (33k-ish)wholesaling about 11-12k from MSRP,and selling for 8-10k off MSRP , The 06 Tundra Double Cab wholesaling 10k off list 1st year and selling for 7500-8000 off MSRP, The 07 Honda Pilot and Ridgeline wholesaling 10k off list 1st year and selling for $6000 off MSRP, Similar for the Nissan Titan....

I would not want to be the first in with Toyota's 1st full size for 2500 or 3000 off sticker and assume it will disobey the law of gravity for this segment unless I had money to burn.

Once the initial demand or short supply dies off (4-6 months?) you have another full size with the 2 million Chevy and Ford also produce. You probably want about 8k-9k off this truck (if not more if its MSRP against similarly equipped vehicles is higher) like the others. This may be possible by July-August if not sooner. If the initial production is slow this may take a bit longer.

Could be wrong, but unless it is a super duper ground breaking truck it will probably wholesale 10-12k off list 1st year like the others, and will not move sufficiently without sizeable incentives.

Happy Hunting

--jjf
  • bugchuckerbugchucker Posts: 118
    I believe price paid for the new Tundra should be lower than 3k off MSRP but will never get to where the 2006 Tundras are now. Who would want a discontinued 2006 model after seeing a commercial for the 2007 Tundra?
    don't understand your post

what do you mean by wholesaling?

2006 tundra close out deals where never more tan 7,000 total
    discount, and you seeem to think the new one will soon be 10-12 off?
    Wholesale refers to what a used car goes for at auction or what a dealer may offer on trade in. I am using the consumer books (kbb.com, nada.com) etc. Sometimes these are optimistic.

I seem to think a new one will wholesale for around 10-12k off MSRP after the first year (15k mi) and will need to be discounted 6-8k new for the dealers to move them. (like every other vehicle in this segment/mpg range) It's unlikely the Tundra will be an exception. The numbers are probably higher for the super duper $50000 model.

If I could work a 9-10k off deal on a new Silverado (100k warranty) or F-150 it would be much preferable as there doesn't seem to be that much advantage to the Tundra. (although if it turns in a 44ft circle that is impressive) The reviewers at edmunds.com give it a good review but hardly are thrilled.

Happy Hunting
    --jjf

don't understand your post

what do you mean by wholesaling?

2006 tundra close out deals where never more tan 7,000 total
    discount, and you seeem to think the new one will soon be 10-12 off
  • gteegtee Posts: 179
    I think that you are right in your assessment of this segment. Wait until summer when gas prices hit $3.50 per gallon and then you will see demand for trucks go way down and discounts go way up. Many trucks were purchased as work trucks used in construction industry. We all know where new home construction is going. I would say the combination of high gas prices and weak housing market will greatly reduce the demand for trucks from all makes.

Last time I checked the Dodge dealers still had plenty of new 2006 on their lots. They were going for at least $12-$15K discount and nobody was buying. Is Toyota a better truck then Ford or Dodge? I think yes, but is it $10K better? I don't think so.

Just my thoughts on the subject.
  • You're so correct jfritsch. The F-150 competition, seeing how Ford is on tthe verge of extinction, and the new 900 line form GM is going to create immense pricing pressures IMHO. Thusly, Toyota will have to respond with some type of cash discounts. The truck is avery viable competitor though, but TOO high a price for my tastes right now.
  • brad993brad993 Posts: 8
    Please advise where you got $3k off MSRP. None of the dealers in Nor Cal are discounting a all.
    I just spoke to a Toyota finance guy. He said they are dealing like never before to "knock off the top 2". I told him that I always pay cash.(Why would anyone finance a depreciating asset?) Anyway, he did sound very motivated to get buyers financed if you are into that. I bet that they must be that way with gas going up 31 cents/gal in the last month. He did state that the Tundra is selling for 1K over invoice. If you local dealer won't deal then find one that will. When I bought my last Lexus, I flew from Seattle to LA. The dealer picked me up at the airport. I was out of there in an hour and saved 3K.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Posts: 2,882
    I told him that I always pay cash. (Why would anyone finance a depreciating asset?)

Ummmm, maybe because not many of us have $32K sitting in our checking account?
    I would find a cheaper truck if didn't have cash available. Too many people live paycheck to paycheck. You will be much happier if you live below your means and not above it.

Anyone else been invited by their Toyota dealer to a Black Tie Tundra party tonight?
  • jreaganjreagan Posts: 285
    Ooooooh, a "Black Tie Tundra Party" ?? Can I come, please? :P
    It is clear that you are either paid by GM or have psych problems. Either way, go away and get a life or seek help. (Sorry Host but jreagan deserves that.)

Party was great. Valet parking. Huge crowd. Celebrity speakers. Excellent food. Big search lights rotating in the sky. Tundras hooked up to boats and trailers. They were not allowing test drives was the only bummer. I didn't learn much new except that the 21 suppliers for the Tundra all have seperate warehouses so Toyota never runs out of parts and the railroad track goes right up to the S.A. factory. Crewmax will be at dealerships by the end of the month. Also, ask for the Costco price on the tundra seemed important to get a good deal.
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    "It is clear that you are either paid by GM or have psych problems."

I'm pretty sure he's not paid by GM..... ;)
  • trucks6trucks6 Posts: 1
    I just got my truck yesterday it took less than a week to find i got the dark blue with the off road pkg sticker was 34780 i end up getting a good deal $31700 the dealership was great i end up saving almost $3000 everybody was asking for sticker or over so i did my work and i heard of a new toyota truck center that just opened up the place is beautiful they located in smithtown, ny the dealership name is smithtown toyota :shades:
    Sounds like you saved over $3k. I like to work up from invoice and not down from MSRP. And don't forget the 2% holdback.
  • rappcovarappcova Posts: 24
    I just learned from a dealer that Toyota isn't putting the TRD option on the 2007 DC SR-5 Tundra with bench seat. You can get the bench seat model without TRD and you can get TRD without the bench seat. But you can't get both. Tell me this isn't true!! What a bummer!
  • rappcovarappcova Posts: 24
    Cancel my last.....#276. I'm answering my own post. I got a little hasty after receiving some wrong information. A different dealer informs me that he has an SR-5 TRD with bench seat on his lot today. It's too bad when you run across a salesperson who either doesn't know his/her product, is too lazy to get facts, or just plain fibs when he/she doesn't have what you want in the dealer's inventory. I won't name the dealer because it might have been the person's first day on the job.........sure!!
    1st try the manufacturers website or brochure for info like this. Generally try Edmunds.com 2nd when looking for options. (It is more error prone) Last try the salesman.

-jjf
    Yes, it is sad when the salesperson doesn't know the vehicle as well as you. I had the same problem yesterday. The guy was trying to tell me that you can get the Tundra DC Limited with the 8 ft bed. I feel like I wasting my time educating him to do his job.
  • does anyone know when Toyota plans on putting sun roof on DC's? I know you could get an 05 or 06 with a sunroof but I do not see it offered as an option on any of the dearler websites only on the crew-max cab
  • gteegtee Posts: 179
    It looks like Toyota is already offering a $1000 discount or 'rebates' on Tundra regular cab. Only Toyota calls this rebate "Coupons". Here is the article from Road and Track magazine. I think that summer is when real discounts kick in on Tundra.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=14&article_id=4993
    I'm hoping that some new Tundra owners step up and tell what they paid above invoice. Anyone?
  • dearmonddearmond Posts: 4
    I live in San Diego and would drive to the dealer in LA for that deal--who is the dealer? Thanks
    CD
  • Agreed. If I had $32K sitting in checking, which isn't smart in itself, over a higher interest bearing money market account, I would still finance at 6% and below, and more-so below ... and just invest the $32K. So why would anyone pay cash for a vehicle versus a low interest loan? Especially, if you understand the time-value of money.
    If you invested for the car or saved at 4-5%, for 5 or so years then paid for the car, thats what he did. Far superior to dopes financing at 7-8% for 5 years. Takes some self control though.

And will blow most of it buying near invoice when all the other full size are discounted 7-9k. All that saving just to blow it.

Toyota may be better, but not 7k better. I'd wait a month or two until the intro wears off. Reality will hit quickly in this segment.

--jjf

Agreed. If I had $32K sitting in checking, which isn't smart in itself, over a higher interest bearing money market account, I would still finance at 6% and below, and more-so below ... and just invest the $32K. So why would anyone pay cash for a vehicle versus a low interest loan? Especially, if you understand the time-value of money