Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hybrids in the News

Comments

• moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    quote-Soldiers drove the Humvee for six miles on only battery power, convoyed in the hybrid (electric-diesel) mode, -end

Nice diesel.
    Link is bad. :(
    quote-Industry analysts estimate that this year, 1% of all new-car buyers in the U.S. will drive away from showrooms in hybrids.-end

WooHooo! 1% Only 99% more and they will achieve world domination.
    quote- “We sell every one we get, and so do all the dealerships that are selling Toyota. -end

Now that is an accomplishment :P Too funny.
  • falcononefalconone Posts: 1,726
    Hmmm...I wonder why all the majors are vying to get hybrids to market. Is it to get a piece of that 1% marketshare? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love hybrids!!!!

Yummy!!!
    Already been discussed posted by larsb

and here3665

quote falconone #3261- Already posted. Let's not have the folks read the same article ten times. -end :surprise:
    Different source...different perspective. Hey...enjoying the hybrid forums? Glad to see you sticking around. Maybe one day we'll see a hybrid Liberty. Hopefully not as woefully troublesome as the diesel version.
    Even if the link did work, the Philly Hybrid story was already posted.

quote falconone #3261- Already posted. Let's not have the folks read the same article ten times. -end
    Since we have new visitors, it may be useful to repost important items from time to time. What really bothers me is when people cross post the same story to other threads. Glad to see you're enjoying my posts!! When you gonna trash that gas guzzler????
    falconone -2006 Prius on order. Mission in life? To dispel hybrid hate and to reveal hybrid envy-end :surprise:

Mission in life? Wow! You take hybrids very seriously.

Envy

It is likey that other automakers envy the "Green Reputation" that Toyota has created.
    When you gonna trash that gas guzzler? :confuse:
  • Talk about a Green . You can buy a Jetta Desiel and not have to worry about your battries going dead !!! Plus the techknowlege will not be outdated in 6 months .
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Intellichoice is value..not reliability
    Ahhh... you have a lot to learn freshman. Please show us how you get 60mpg in you VW Jetta. Yeah..the one that CR rates as very poor reliability.
  • Reliability ??? I have seen and drove Desiel Jetta's above 250,000 that ran just as well if not better than new . CR has not allways been accurate . Esspecaly with there apperent hate of VW !!!! I have always had a VW and they have always been reliable .
    This story was discussed here two weeks ago. The Canton, OH story as you can see is a verbatim transcript of a LA Times story that ran on 10-23. It's conclusion is correct.. 'put your calculators away..' there are other reasons than money to buy a Prius or HCH.

The foremost one for me is that it helps keep money out of the hands of the ayatollahs and saudi princes. You may be in favor of doing that but I'm not.
  • If you look at my profile I currenty own two VW's and have had no problems.
  • mistermemisterme Posts: 407
    "I have seen and drove Diesel Jetta's above 250,000 that ran just as well if not better than new . CR has not always been accurate . Especially with there apparent hate of VW !!!! I have always had a VW and they have always been reliable"

Forget CR if you like, but you can not dispute the fact of poor VW reliability, just google "VW reliability" and get an endless sea of troubles and woe, from windows falling out, fires and steering parts falling off to name a few.

Used car listings are a good sign of reliability and there just isn't many diesels over the 100K mile mark.

Saving money with a hybrid-
    I chose to dissolve any premium paid within the first year, and I did. Now all I do is save at the pump.
    Your diesels ~40MPG is good mileage. But diesel fuel is drastically more expensive and they don't exceed 900 mile tanks like my own gasoline hybrid car does.
    Well then who IS buying all of them so that there is none to be had? The ones I mentioned previously see the value of the Prius and can afford to buy it and pay for the upscale features What upscale features?
    You said you knew what package 6 was?
    Small Car Interest Falls

Three popular Internet car-shopping sites report notable drops in users seeking information on gas-electric hybrids and other fuel-efficient cars.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,018
    Aloha from Hawaii. I don't think the Prius is a big seller here. I have driven past the Toyota dealer several times and they have a new Prius sitting out front. I don't think it has moved. I may go by for a test drive tomorrow. What is amazing is the price of gas here is about the same as CA $2.779 per gallon. It is usually a lot more expensive.

PS
    No way you can compare a Passat to a Prius. Only in a Prius drivers dreams. Jetta TDI is a better comparo. The Jetta TDI wagon is popular here in Hawaii with the Hollywood transplants. They are all using biodiesel. That is truly "green" not pale hybrid green. :)
    Mahalo for you post! Hope you're enjoying the nice fresh air in Hawaii care of the trade winds. Hopefully you're not having Kona winds!

Anyway...as you all know the TDIs are not sold in many "green" states for a reason. They spew out noxious fumes. Diesels do have a place in our country. In rigs transporting goods from one side of the continent to the other. Once we have "clean diesels" then I'd be interested. As to a Prius vs a TDI. If you like vibration and harshness, then the TDI is for you. Idling in a TDI is like sitting in those vibrating beds at Brookstone. Idling in a Prius? Sheer bliss.

They're loving hybrids in Fiji too!!! Gotta love it!!

http://www.fijitimes.com/story.aspx?id=31295
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,890
    Let's watch the topics we're in and stay on topic. This one is for discussion of hybrid news items, not for comparing hybrids to diesels or whether hybrids actually save you money. The What's your reason for buying a Hybrid? and Paying more than MSRP for (new) Hybrids, Depreciation/Value of used Hybrids
    discussions are the places for that. I'll be moving posts to appropriate topics to keep things on track here.

While we understand your passion for the subject, we also need your help to keep these discussions on topic.

Thanks

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Toyota May Be Developing Plug-Ins
    3 November 2005

An industry newsletter reports that Toyota may be reconsidering its “no plug-in” mantra and be developing plug-in hybrids for the US, although the company still remains concerned about battery limitations.

A Toyota presentation at the Tokyo Motor Show outlined the benefits of plug-ins, according to the story in Inside Fuels and Vehicles.

The presentation concludes that plug-ins would perform as well or better than other motor vehicle technology—including regular battery-electric hybrids, all-electric vehicles and even fuel cell vehicles (if the hydrogen is obtained from natural gas)—in five criteria under assessment:

Well-to-wheels carbon dioxide emissions;

Emissions of criteria pollutants;

Refueling infrastructure;

Driving range; and

Fuel diversity.

The report suggests that Toyota may partner with Pacific Gas & Electric on the battery component, an approach not without precedent. Mitsubishi, for example, is working with Tokyo Electric on batteries and a recharging system for its new electric vehicle.
This discussion has been closed.