Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hybrids in the News

Comments

• Since the Hummer H1 and H2 are over 8500 LBS GVWR they do not have to be tested by the EPA for fuel ecomomy. They are considered commercial vehicles.
  • falcononefalconone Posts: 1,726
    Wow... such wonderful insight! Amazing how you know the plans five years in advance. Can you tell me what the DOW will be in 2010 as well?
    http://tinyurl.com/8fgwf

Link to NY Times... if you don't have a registration, just use bugmenot
  • john1701ajohn1701a Posts: 1,897
    > Amazing how you know the plans five years in advance.

Take a look at my blogs from 5 years ago...

JOHN
    Not sure I get your question. Look back at the thread.
  • Lets see if I got this right....You say the Hummer H2 & H1 are over 8,500 lbs (other words BIG & HEAVY) and are considered "Commercial Vehicles"....By who? Makes absolutly no sense. Its a vehicle that is purchased by the public and should meet the same standards as any other vehicle. EPA rating and reasonable mileage. Next thing they'll be calling them Auxillary Military Vehicles on Reserve Stand By thus disqualified from any required standards.
    Railroadjames This is off topic a bit but it does address the issues of how different these two vehicles really are and which one meets todays best needs.
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/27/AR2005092701812.html

""We are seeing people who are driving $40,000 Suburbans trading them in on $15,000 Corollas," said Mathews, who manages a dealership in a state where big trucks and sport-utility vehicles rule the roads. "The last 30 days have been unlike anything I've ever seen in the automotive industry."</big

Those of us who expected this can revel in the news......Higher MPG is indeed better !!! :D :) :shades:
  • I am not saying it makes any sense but that is how the currenty laws/EPA regulations are worded. Any vehicle over 8500 LBS Gross Vehicle Weight is considered a comercial vehicle and does not have to be tested by the EPA for MPG.

The Chevy Avalanche is another vehicle that falls into this category.
    http://tinyurl.com/cx2fh

Sorry if this was posted already. NYT article.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Here's the bottom line: You should consider buying a full hybrid vehicle (one that can run on its electric motor alone) if you want to reduce CO2 exhaust emissions, particularly if you do most of your driving in the city.

But if you want to save money, taking into account the purchase price of the vehicle, then you will be better off buying a conventional model, even at today's elevated gas prices

hybrids stretch gas dollars
    Those guys can generalize and estimate and crow all they want about "how much smarter they are than all those fools who are buying hybrids" but for many of us, finances were not the only reason for buying a hybrid.

I wanted a car with a certain "interior comfort level" and no car priced below the $19,324 I paid for my Hybrid met that mark AND also:

1. Got 50 MPG, and
    2. Had a government tax incentive, and
    3. Insulated me from the future worries of high gas prices, and
    4. Was a 5-seater.

Every mile I drive puts me more into the black.

So all those smart people who think hybrids are financial boo-boos and thus are not smart buys are wrong in MY case, and in the case of many others too.

If I had wanted a "bottom feeder" car, I would have gotten an Echo or a Kia or a Hyundai for $12,000.
  • john1701ajohn1701a Posts: 1,897
    That article just lumped all types of hybrids into a single category and it made no reference whatsoever to smog-related emissions. They've had 5 years to learn about the various aspects of hybrid operation & design. There's simply no excuse for such misleading writing anymore.

JOHN
  • I've seen a lot lately in the news about retrofitting the Prius so that it can plug in, getting nearly 200 MPG in the process. Pretty amazing.

Now, there's talk that broadband internet can be delivered on that same household power receptical. That's awesome: so while your Prius is getting its batteries juiced, it can be receiving software updates (and maybe even report back your mileage statistics or shopping locations).

But then, I suppose, we'll have to purchase 'pop-up' blockers and virus scan for the Prius' computer.
  • mirthmirth Posts: 1,212
    How much will a plug-in add to your electrical bill every month?
    I wanted a car with a certain "interior comfort level" and no car priced below the $19,324 I paid for my Hybrid met that mark AND also:

1. Got 50 MPG, and
    2. Had a government tax incentive, and
    3. Insulated me from the future worries of high gas prices, and
    4. Was a 5-seater.

A new Civic LX can be obtained for $14,600.
    1. It will obtain 40 mpg.
    2. No, it does not have welfare* (*govt. tax incentive). Government should not support your hybrid addiction.
    3. Civic LX insulates you from the future worries of high gas prices and costs $4724 less than $19,324.
    4. It is a 5 seater. In fact, it is remarkably similar in dimensions to the HCH. And the rear seats even split and fold.

So you started out $4724 in the red. That money saved would buy gas for 69,000 miles of driving at $3.00 a gallon in a Civic LX using the 40 mpg highway mpg.
    Or is a Civic LX a "bottom feeder" and not eligible for your purchase consideration?

You are a perfect example of why hybrids do not make cents! :P Thanks for making the article more relevant.
    50 mpg in your HCH? LOL CR can not get 50 mpg, Pete B. can not ge 50 mpg in HCH, HCH is not even rated at 50 mpg. Amazing that you get 50 mpg in your HCH larsb. You must be a phenom.

Pete Blackshaw was so excited about getting a hybrid gasoline-electric car that he had his wife videotape the trip to the Honda dealership to pick up his Civic Hybrid. The enthusiastic owner ordered a customized license plate with "MO MILES" on it, and started a blog about his new hybrid lifestyle.

But after a few months of commuting to his job in Cincinnati, Blackshaw's hybrid euphoria vanished as his car's odometer revealed that the gas mileage he was hoping for was only a pipe dream. Honda's Civic Hybrid is rated by the EPA to get 47 miles per gallon in the city, and 48 mpg on the highway. After nearly 1,000 miles of mostly city driving, Blackshaw was getting 31.4 mpg.

"I feel like a complete fraud driving around Cincinnati with a license plate that says MO MILES," says Blackshaw, who claims that after 4,000 miles his car has never gotten more than 33 mpg on any trip. The tenor of Blackshaw's blog shifted from adulation to frustration after his Honda dealer confirmed that his car was functioning properly, and that there was nothing he could do.

Hybrid mileage woes
  • In California it's estimated to be the equivalent of 70 cents a mile. Maybe a bit more, but not much. Plus the power grid is ten times cleaner (measured from energy source to consumption) even when coal is used.
  • Hybrid addiction? Huh?
    quote Moparbad-"50 mpg in your HCH? LOL CR can not get 50 mpg, Pete B. can not ge 50 mpg in HCH, HCH is not even rated at 50 mpg. Amazing that you get 50 mpg in your HCH larsb. You must be a phenom."-end quote

There are MANY drivers of HCH who have more than 50 MPG as their lifetime number. Mine is actually lower because my commute is short and my car does not normally reach optimum operating temps (which make for the best fuel economy numbers) during my short commute. I also live in Phoenix and am forced to use the A/C a lot in summer, which hurts all car's MPG.

I am FAR FROM a phenom, but my car will be at lifetime 50 MPG within about 10 more tanks. My current tank is approaching 100 miles and I am sitting at 57.9 MPG for that first 100 miles. My lifetime average is only 47.9 on the car, but I have learned a new trick lately and that lifetime number is on it's way up. :D

That Pete Blackshaw thing is old news. He was just refusing to "play the game" and drive an HCH like it needs to be driven to achieve 50 MPG.
    Civic LX did not meet my needs. No 50 MPG, no clean emissions, not the same car as an HCH. Sorry about pointing this out. :D
This discussion has been closed.