Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado Hybrid Pickup

Comments

• aspesisteveaspesisteve Posts: 833
    what genious came up with a hybrid truck that gets another 1-2 miles per gallon? When you need parts and service on this, there will only one option...Mr. Goodwrench

I wouldn't take this truck even if it was $2,000 less when they want people to volunteer to pay more for it.

Is the warranty at least 100k miles on the hybrig stuff?
  • john1701ajohn1701a Posts: 1,897
    The humorous part is that the error-of-margin for measuring MPG is actually greater than the MPG improvement itself!

How will anyone even know what benefit they are receiving... unless they only drive on the highway, since there is a ZERO percent improvement for high-speed cruising.

The auto-stop ability is completely worthless unless you actually stop. And because this type of "hybrid" lacks the ability to contribute to propulsion power, driving without any long stoplights won't really benefit either.

How exactly can they claim this is a "hybrid" vehicle? There wasn't even a component change from a design perspective. All they did was increase the size of the already existing battery & starter and change the way they react. All else is the same. The 3 currently available hybrids and the 2 upcoming have much, much greater differences from the traditional design.

If nothing else, the "hybrid" from GM shouldn't cost so much, since they didn't do that much.

JOHN
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,960
    Be sure to check out our Town Hall chat lineup for Tuesdays... everyone is welcome and ALL things automotive (and some not-so-automotive topics) are fair game! Stop in tonight and get to know some of your fellow Town Hall residents better. We may even play a little automotive trivia!

Getting things started, from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET, If your passion is Mazda or you just like to go ZOOM ZOOM, the place to be is the Mazda Mania chat.

Mazda Mania Chat Room

Imediately following from 7-8pm PT/10-11pm ET, talk the latest in new automotive technology during the Hybrid Vehicles Chat

Hybrid Vehicles Chat Room

The Town Hall chats are a great place to take these message board topics LIVE. Hope to see you there this week!

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• logic1logic1 Posts: 2,433
    full size pick up trucks are not commuting vehicles, they are work vehicles. When one looks at the hybrid Silverado from a commuter's perspective, it does not seem worth it. From a worker's perspective, its advantages are clearly obvious.

Many people who work with pick ups work in areas where regular grid electric is not available.

Until now, the option was to use generators such as those made by Honda. These generators pollute much more and use more fuel than a stationary V8 auto engine. They are bulky and take up a lot of space that could be used for tools or supplies. Plus, they are frequently stolen and less reliable.

The advantage of having built in generators from both an enviromental and work perspective are obvious to those who know what pick up trucks are for.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,090
    Your right on target with perspective of the GM hybrid Pickup. What I wonder is if it would not have been more practical to incorporate their hybrid system in to a truck using the Duramax diesel. Diesels are much better for idling power. As improved mileage was not the main goal of this vehicle I wonder if it will sell to the general public. I believe all the first production go to fleet buyers.
    I think the regulatory framework has to change to allow more diesels. GM probably sells almost its full allotment of diesels in California, Mass. and NY.

GM already makes diesel hybrid city busses.

I imagine a lot of Silverado sales are to fleets. Most construction and agriculture operations have gone corporate. Presumably, these will always be the primary customers for large pick up trucks with built in generators.
  • john1701ajohn1701a Posts: 1,897
    > think the regulatory framework has to change to allow more diesels.

There's no need for it to change. The current restrictions are due to diesel not being able to meet the current emission requirements.

Simply reducing the emissions is all that's needed to be allowed to sell more.

JOHN
    the Federal Government allows refineries to produce an older, sulpher laden diesel that can never burn as clean as gas.

When and if the US goes over to the cleaner diesel, diesel engines will burn cleaner.

Even the best diesel engine will produce more particulate than a comparable gas engine. The European regulators believe the particulates are acceptable considering there is less pollution generated to make the diesel fuel and, of course, there is less fuel burned over all.

My understanding is that even before Arnold became governor, CARB was looking at allowing more particulate in order to accomodate more diesels.

In short, I do not think it is as simple as you suggest.
  • 88pickup88pickup Posts: 1
    Shouldn't this new truck get better mileage than my old 88? It had a sticker on it of 17 and 19 mpg when bought in 88. It gets in the 14-15 range . I will be checking this out again!! Maybe next year.
    I will be checking this out again!! Maybe next year.

Good idea. GM is totally re-designing their SUV & truck line in 2006. Hopefully they look better than the last few years. I had 1988, 90, & 93 Chevy PU trucks and loved them all. I don't think the hybrid will be sold to the general public, only fleet.
  • All it does is "turn off when stopped". Big deal. I can do that NOW with my old car, just by turning the key off.

Also, it still only has ONE source to propel itself down the road (the gasoline engine) & therefore is not gas+electric-motivated vehicle.

trpy
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    It is definitely a "form" of hybrid, or they couldn't call it "Hybrid" at all...

"these trucks aren't actually propelled by the electricity they generate. Instead, an electric generator nestled in their transmission cases enable GM's hybrids to shut down their otherwise conventional gasoline engines while coasting or sitting at a stoplight."

So it CAN MOVE without using the gas engine and without the driver taking any action to shut the engine down (unlike a gas-only truck) and it does have an ISG (unlike a gas-only truck) and it does have two 20-amp integrated power sources in the rear (unlike a gas-only truck.) :)

It's great for contractors who need electric power on work sites. It was also a critical tool for the Florida hurricane season last year, when it was used to go to areas which had no power to help with things.

So although it is the LIGHTEST kind of hybrid, it's without argument a "gas electric vehicle" for sure, and last I heard, they call those "Hybrids."

“In the 2008 calendar year, they’re going to start building a full hybrid,” said Brett Smith, assistant director of manufacturing, engineering and technology at the Center for Automotive Research in Ann Arbor, Mich.

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/newssentinel/11073011.htm
  • yerth10yerth10 Posts: 428
    Something is better than nothing.
    Its good that GM is also building Hybrid though it is Mild.
    Infact Toyota is also selling Mild-Hybrid in Vitz model.

Those who cannot afford Full Hybrid can atleast go for Mild Hybrid.
  • "Something is better than nothing.
    Its good that GM is also building Hybrid though it is Mild. "
    that is exactly right, the change doesn't seem like much, but how many guys can plug a beer fridge into the back of their ford or dodge when there out hunting in the far north?
  • >>>>>>>>>It is definitely a "form" of hybrid, or they couldn't call it "Hybrid" at all...

Salespeople are professional liars (I know...I used to be one...and saw how my coworkers would lie to make the sale). They will call a cat a "dog" if they think it will sell the product.

If all the Chevy Pickup does it turn off the engine, then that means ALL cars are hybrids, because they all have that ability (just turn the key to off when coasting to a stop).

troy
  • mirthmirth Posts: 1,212
    And thus turn off your power steering (safety hazard), your radio, air conditioning, etc., etc.

This is just plain snobbery, plain and simple. The truck is a hybrid. Deal with it.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,648
    Haha! Jeff, the beauty of hunting in the "far north" is that during the majority of hunting seasons, you don't NEED a beer fridge! Maybe a space heater..... ;-D
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • Well, if you're going to allow calling this Truck a "hybrid", then I shall insist ALL cars are hybrids... all the way back to the 1940s.

After all, we don't use a handcrank to start our cars, do we? No, we use a battery+motor to spin up the engine. i.e. A HYBRID.

troy
    OK Hybrids are 100% of the market then....:)
    I don't see much difference from the IMA used by Honda, other than the AC outlets...

Auto engine start and stop at speeds lower than 13 mph
    Normal and continuous modes for onboard generator use
    Energy storage module
    Regenerative braking

http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado/hybrid/
    seem's pretty hybridized to me.

Here's a question:

Does any "non-hybrid" car or truck have regen braking and energy storage modules?

Seems not......
    I can see a market for someone that needs AC on the job. I wonder what kind of EPA rating it gets if they have to give the 8 yr 100k mile warranty.

Warranty Information
    For vehicles sold in the United States, in addition to the Bumper-To-Bumper Coverage described in the Warranty Booklet, General Motors will warrant certain Hybrid components for each 2005 Chevrolet Silverado Hybrid (hereafter referred to as Hybrid) for 8 years or 100,000 miles (160,000 kilometers), whichever comes first, from the original in-service date of the vehicle, against warrantable repairs to the specific Hybrid components of the vehicle.
  • rfruthrfruth Posts: 630
    GM should have done this right after the Arab Oil Embargo of the 70s but I need to give credit where credit is due, who else offers a hybrid option in a P/U, oh & it's not just for fleet customers anymore. Here is a review from thecarconnection.com - snip - General Motors is a little bit behind in the hybrid race. But they're starting to catch up. Although more advanced hybrid models from GM are on the way over the next two years, for now the company is offering a "mild hybrid" version of its big Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra pickups, keeping the same V-8 powertrain but claiming a fuel economy improvement of 10 to 13 percent.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=8254
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,648
    "Releasing your foot from the dash causes a sudden start of the engine but no serious surge forward."

Haha! I hope you're flexible. Exactly where is the brake pedal on this truck?! ;-D

-Wes-
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • The truck uses regenerative braking.

But none of that electrical energy goes to the wheels. So, what's the point? Why recycle energy if it can't be used to drive the wheels?

troy
    quote ETroy:Why recycle energy if it can't be used to drive the wheels?"-end quote

Same reason your favorite car the Lupo shuts down at stop lights....The Chevy Hybrid uses that energy "in part" to achieve it's higher MPG rating by keeping all the truck's functions running while the gas engine is shut off.
  • Well Volkswagen says Lupo is NOT a hybrid. Doesn't sound like this pickup is a hybrid either?

troy
    I don't see much difference from the IMA used by Honda, other than the AC outlets...

Auto engine start and stop at speeds lower than 13 mph
    Normal and continuous modes for onboard generator use
    Energy storage module
    Regenerative braking

http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado/hybrid/

seem's pretty hybridized to me.

Here's a question:

Does any "non-hybrid" car or truck have regen braking and energy storage modules?

Seems not......

these trucks aren't actually propelled by the electricity they generate. Instead, an electric generator nestled in their transmission cases enable GM's hybrids to shut down their otherwise conventional gasoline engines while coasting or sitting at a stoplight."

So it CAN MOVE without using the gas engine and without the driver taking any action to shut the engine down (unlike a gas-only truck) and it does have an ISG (unlike a gas-only truck) and it does have two 20-amp integrated power sources in the rear (unlike a gas-only truck.) :)
  • "I don't see much difference from the IMA used by Honda... Auto engine start and stop at speeds lower than 13 mph / Normal and continuous modes for onboard generator use / Energy storage module /Regenerative braking"

Yes, but the IMA does one extra thing that makes Honda a hybrid, and Chevy NOT:

- uses the stored electricity to push the car down the road (+14hp)

Having two sources of power to drive the wheels is the very definition of "hybrid power". The Chevy Pickup only has ONE power driving the wheels.

troy
    Here's a question:

Does any "non-hybrid" car or truck on this planet have both regen braking and energy storage modules?

If the Chevy Silverado is not a Hybrid, how would it be "labeled?"
This discussion has been closed.