Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado Hybrid Pickup

Comments

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,845
    Sounds like the hybrids will be limited to the light duty 1500 series. Most contractors use the 2500-3500 HD trucks. So much for the built-in gen set. Tax credit is kind of wasted also when you can write off a new 6000# vehicle in one year. Diesel pickups are going to still be the way to go.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,231
    I've heard a rumor of the Dodge Ram coming with similar hybrid set-up, but with the Cummins trucks. I imagine the 3/4 trucks will eventually get this if it works. Actually, a huge number of contractors and such use 1/2 ton trucks. Mainly because they're cheap and generally get the job done.
    I was thinking about the Oil field where I work in Alaska. All you ever see is 1 ton diesel crew cabs. Mostly Ford a few Chevys and Never a Dodge. Seems strange with that great Cummins diesel. I think the Oil Companies have closer ties to Ford and GM. No Toyota trucks either. I imagine we will get some hybrids if the fleet price is competitive and they get a tax break from Uncle Sam. BP knows how to milk the governments of all the countries that have oil.
    When I was in corporate, fleet buying was under my supervision. Ford is extremely aggresive on their fleet sales. Our statistics pretty much left us with operating costs that were equal regardless of GM/dodge/ford. Ford generally had a big advantage on the trucks, $1,000 sometimes. Once in awhile, GM would push a particular model that would be a better deal. Dodge rarely did any selling on the fleet side for trucks. GM pushed the cars hard, luminas would come in $500-$1,000 under a Taurus. I understand that Ford is now backing off of fleet sales, at least on the car side. Not sure they'll ever back off of the trucks, they've got a big profit center on them. GM will probably push these into fleets, particularly because fleets are more tolerant of problems and sometimes have better warranties.
    That fits exactly what I am seeing in the field. Also what I heard, that Ford was less expensive.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Posts: 1,978
    >Mostly Ford a few Chevys and Never a Dodge.

Curious?

Why never a Dodge? Is a Dodge unreliable?
    Why never a Dodge? Is a Dodge unreliable?

Not at all. They refuse to give into big corporations on fleet sales. As Sebring95 pointed out Ford usually gives the biggest discount. It all has to do with dollars. I am sure to Exxon or BP a 3/4 ton truck is just that, no matter who makes it. They go for the bottom dollar. If Chevy or Dodge would buckle under they would get the sales.
    all has to do with dollars. I am sure to Exxon or BP a 3/4 ton truck is just that, no matter who makes it. They go for the bottom dollar.

Exactly. We were buying between 700-900 cars, 300 vans, 300 pickups, 85 medium-duty chassis per year, and if you can save $50 per unit you'll do it as long as the operational costs are similar. The operational and resale was always better on the toyotas/hondas, but the upfront cost was many thousands higher which would never materialize in overall savings. Same thing though on the 1/2 tons, fuel burn can be an issue and if one model gets significantly better mpg, it can correlate to cheaper operating costs and give you an advantage. At the time I was involved, chevy trucks weren't any more efficient than the Fords. However, I would think now with the V8's, GM probably already has an upperhand in efficiency. Another 10% with the hybrid system could be significant. My Tahoe was rated 1-2mpg higher than the Expedition was when we were shopping. Add another 1.5mpg and you've got a couple thousand dollars savings over a 100k miles service life. Significant when you've got 2000 trucks!
    I think Chevy has always had a slight edge in MPG over Ford. Where I work the big companies only buy diesels. They keep them for 3 years and send them out. If you get a Truck from Alaska with only a few miles it may be misleading. The last I heard an hour of idle time was the equivalent of 35-45 miles of driving. Many vehicles are started at 6 am and shut off at 7 pm. May never move from the power rail. It is easy to calculate. 400-500k miles equivalency is common. Fuel consumption is not a big issue in the oil fields, wonder why?
    Most trucks now have hour meters so it's easy to figure out on the resale side. Hybrid GM truck won't save anything over a normal gasser if idling is all it's doing. Although the built-in generator could be useful if you normally haul around a gen set anyway.
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Posts: 833
    what genious came up with a hybrid truck that gets another 1-2 miles per gallon? When you need parts and service on this, there will only one option...Mr. Goodwrench

I wouldn't take this truck even if it was $2,000 less when they want people to volunteer to pay more for it.

Is the warranty at least 100k miles on the hybrig stuff?
  • john1701ajohn1701a Posts: 1,897
    The humorous part is that the error-of-margin for measuring MPG is actually greater than the MPG improvement itself!

How will anyone even know what benefit they are receiving... unless they only drive on the highway, since there is a ZERO percent improvement for high-speed cruising.

The auto-stop ability is completely worthless unless you actually stop. And because this type of "hybrid" lacks the ability to contribute to propulsion power, driving without any long stoplights won't really benefit either.

How exactly can they claim this is a "hybrid" vehicle? There wasn't even a component change from a design perspective. All they did was increase the size of the already existing battery & starter and change the way they react. All else is the same. The 3 currently available hybrids and the 2 upcoming have much, much greater differences from the traditional design.

If nothing else, the "hybrid" from GM shouldn't cost so much, since they didn't do that much.

JOHN
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,854
    Be sure to check out our Town Hall chat lineup for Tuesdays... everyone is welcome and ALL things automotive (and some not-so-automotive topics) are fair game! Stop in tonight and get to know some of your fellow Town Hall residents better. We may even play a little automotive trivia!

Getting things started, from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET, If your passion is Mazda or you just like to go ZOOM ZOOM, the place to be is the Mazda Mania chat.

Mazda Mania Chat Room

Imediately following from 7-8pm PT/10-11pm ET, talk the latest in new automotive technology during the Hybrid Vehicles Chat

Hybrid Vehicles Chat Room

The Town Hall chats are a great place to take these message board topics LIVE. Hope to see you there this week!

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• logic1logic1 Posts: 2,433
    full size pick up trucks are not commuting vehicles, they are work vehicles. When one looks at the hybrid Silverado from a commuter's perspective, it does not seem worth it. From a worker's perspective, its advantages are clearly obvious.

Many people who work with pick ups work in areas where regular grid electric is not available.

Until now, the option was to use generators such as those made by Honda. These generators pollute much more and use more fuel than a stationary V8 auto engine. They are bulky and take up a lot of space that could be used for tools or supplies. Plus, they are frequently stolen and less reliable.

The advantage of having built in generators from both an enviromental and work perspective are obvious to those who know what pick up trucks are for.
    Your right on target with perspective of the GM hybrid Pickup. What I wonder is if it would not have been more practical to incorporate their hybrid system in to a truck using the Duramax diesel. Diesels are much better for idling power. As improved mileage was not the main goal of this vehicle I wonder if it will sell to the general public. I believe all the first production go to fleet buyers.
    I think the regulatory framework has to change to allow more diesels. GM probably sells almost its full allotment of diesels in California, Mass. and NY.

GM already makes diesel hybrid city busses.

I imagine a lot of Silverado sales are to fleets. Most construction and agriculture operations have gone corporate. Presumably, these will always be the primary customers for large pick up trucks with built in generators.
  • john1701ajohn1701a Posts: 1,897
    > think the regulatory framework has to change to allow more diesels.

There's no need for it to change. The current restrictions are due to diesel not being able to meet the current emission requirements.

Simply reducing the emissions is all that's needed to be allowed to sell more.

JOHN
    the Federal Government allows refineries to produce an older, sulpher laden diesel that can never burn as clean as gas.

When and if the US goes over to the cleaner diesel, diesel engines will burn cleaner.

Even the best diesel engine will produce more particulate than a comparable gas engine. The European regulators believe the particulates are acceptable considering there is less pollution generated to make the diesel fuel and, of course, there is less fuel burned over all.

My understanding is that even before Arnold became governor, CARB was looking at allowing more particulate in order to accomodate more diesels.

In short, I do not think it is as simple as you suggest.
  • 88pickup88pickup Posts: 1
    Shouldn't this new truck get better mileage than my old 88? It had a sticker on it of 17 and 19 mpg when bought in 88. It gets in the 14-15 range . I will be checking this out again!! Maybe next year.
    I will be checking this out again!! Maybe next year.

Good idea. GM is totally re-designing their SUV & truck line in 2006. Hopefully they look better than the last few years. I had 1988, 90, & 93 Chevy PU trucks and loved them all. I don't think the hybrid will be sold to the general public, only fleet.