Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Insight

baxmanbaxman Posts: 1
Hello. I have a 2000 Honda Hybrid that I take EVERYWHERE I go. It has about 120k and ALL the work that has been done is 1 tire set at 80k, oil changes at 3500 miles and a EGR valve at 85k. I get about 56-60 mpg using all types of driving styles and have switched to a larger tire for better road handling. I have a manual tranmission that is not as quick as a Auto. I do use the AC on Econ mostly, but have used it going to Tahoe up the grades. Going to Las Vegas, we rec. approx 63 mpg and when I went to Bridgeport, Ca. I got 71 coming back to Los Angeles. It is the BEST car that I have EVER owned!! Our next one will be a Civic Hybrid and we will keep the Insight. GET ONE!!!!!!!!

Comments

• stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,800
    Since they discontinued production of the Insight.
  • rfruthrfruth Posts: 630
    Or get a used one or sweetheart deal on new, anyone in the Houston area want to get rid of a Insight ? Would prefer a 5 speed but CVT is okay and the color, well surprise me ! (hope not black, did I mention Houston area) Just a couple weeks ago I e-mailed a local Honda dealer about a Insight, MSRP is 19.2 K "internet special" was 18 thousand, too rich for my blood, Honda must not want to get rid of them yet. Anyone want out of their Insight ? I'll come to your local and pay cash if the price is right.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Posts: 1,978
    Gillam Honda has two new 2003 Insight CVTs for sale :)They siad they are geeting a 5-sppe Insight with AC in and also could order one, but I will belive it when I see it. All other Houston areas dealeres say they can't get anymore.

#1 what tire upgrade did you do? How much did it affect your mileage.
  • derekgdwderekgdw Posts: 51
    If Honda is nixing the Insight line (Not too surprising unfortunatly. They're cool cars but the market for a $20k CRX isn't there . . .) Although probably not something that would happen . . .

The current Insight has the basic looks and design of the old CRX.

I think it would be cool if Honda brought a hybrid vehicle along the same design as the Del Sol as the next version of the Insight.

Obviously the convertable feature wouldn't help fuel economy much but they could instead turn it into somewhat of a hybrid performance vehicle.

Just a thought. Mainly because I like the Del Sols and I wouldn't mind buying one in the future preferrably a new one. ;-)

In any event does anyone know if Honda is canceling the Insight all together or are they just going to redesign it into something else? If anything I would see Honda designing it into another sporty type car if they kept the nameplate.
  • "In any event does anyone know if Honda is canceling the Insight all together or are they just going to redesign it into something else?"

Since Insight never returned profit unlike Prius, I don't think Honda is going to release a new redesign model.

Dennis
  • xcelxcel Posts: 1,025
    Hi Usbseawolf2000:

___Actually, it appears that the Insight will be available for the 2005 MY.

___In regards to profit on the Prius, have you seen someone state this as fact yet?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
  • "In regards to profit on the Prius, have you seen someone state this as fact yet?"

"Toyota Motor Corp posted on Tuesday(May 11, 2004) a double-digit rise in annual profits as it slashed costs and drove sales higher in every major market, and forecast another strong year as it rolls out one hit model after another."

"Toyota, whose stock value of $120 billion exceeds the combined worth of the U.S. "Big Three" -- General Motors, Ford and DaimlerChrysler AG"

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4951189/

With profits returning like this, would Toyota be loosing money on every Prius they sold? They plan to offer hybrid models in all line of vehicles by 2010. I only see profits just going up. Better buy Toyota stock now. LOL.

Dennis
    Hi Usbseawolf2000:

___I have been watching Toyota’s total sales and increasing profits for what seems like forever … That does not make the Prius profitable by any stretch. When I see that verified fact posted, I will post it all over the net myself!

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
    Xcel -

That sounds great Insight for 2005 MY. How reliable is your information? Could you please indicate or post the source?

Thanks,

MidCow
    Hi Midnightcowboy:

___It was first seen here: http://www.topgear.com/content/news/cars_coming_soon/03/ with rolling commentary from the Insighter’s over at Insightcentral dot net afterwards …

___There is at least one dealer saying the same but until one arrives … many are actually hoping it’s the Insight II w/ even lower weight, higher performance, and even better fuel economy but Honda as usual is very tight lipped.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,035
    Don't you think that is kind of misleading? GM has at least 13 different stocks on the NYSE. The last figures I saw for 2003 is that Toyota was slightly ahead of Ford selling a total of 4.9 million vehicles. Far behind GM that sold 6.9 million vehicles. I know that Toyota shows a profit more than the other majors. That could mean they are ripping us off. I agree that their stock may be the one to have as they have led the way on hybrid technology.
    This is the Honda Isight board so why are you posting last year's Prius articles? Initially neither Toyota's offering Prius or Honda's offering were profitable. Bascially they were a step beyond prototype limited availabiltiy to the public as a "loss-leader". The concept was accepted by the public and both Honda and Toyota have moved on. However, there are strong rumors of a Insight II in late 2005. The 2004 Prius the beta of the Toyta HSD system will die a quiet but heroic death!.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,738
    Because one of the posters here asked to see some verification that the Prius is profitable, so he could post it all over the Internet. So far over 1/3 of the posts here deal either with the Prius or Toyota. So why pick on me for trying to respond to someone else's post?
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,800
    It was full of mis information.
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    A newspaper reporter is looking to interview owners of hybrid vehicles who live in the midwest. Bonus points awarded to Michiganders who drive hybrids and respond to this query. Please send daytime contact info and a line about your vehicle choice to jfallon@edmunds.com by Friday, May 21, 2004.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    A newspaper reporter is interested in hearing from hybrid drivers in New England. If you are willing to share your story, please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Thursday, June 10, 2004.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
  • rfruthrfruth Posts: 630
    This is in the UK, not a bad deal, now if they did this in the US xcel would be one happy camper - snip - Honda Hunts High-Mileage Insights - Honda has started to look for the driver who has done the highest mileage in its original petrol/electric hybrid model, the Insight coupé. It will present the owner of the best-presented 100,000 miles-plus Insight with one of its current Civic IMA cars as a free replacement. http://www.carkeys.co.uk/news/2004_august/05/3980.asp
    But what if the Insight owner doesn't want to replace his/her Insight with a HCH--which returns far lower fuel economy than does the Insight? Does this indicate Insights won't be sold in the UK in the future?
    Hi Rfruth:

___There is a guy out of Washington state (an Internet friend of mine) that cleans the bottom of his Insight including waxing behind the rims every 3 or so weeks! His Insight is so clean you could eat off the bottom, top, side, and interior ;-) In actuality, he takes it to car shows almost weekly so that is why its so meticulously maintained.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,035
    I don't blame the guy for choosing the Insight over the HCH. If he is a commuter that is looking for the best mileage the Insight is still KING of the Road. If you don't haul 3 or more people 20% of the time it is a waste to have a 5 passenger car that only gets 45-50 mpg. You can rent a bigger car on the occasion you need more room.
  • Insight (5-speed with /AC) is still on my short list. Does anyone have an specifics of the 2005 model. Any changes?

YMMV,

MidCow

P.S.- Oh to give up power for mileage!
    The Insight is on your short list? What happened to the S2000? What happened to the HAH? What happened to that "need for speed"? Finding that 0-60 isn't everything, eh? ;-)
  • falcononefalconone Posts: 1,726
    I saw the crash test results (4 stars) front and side crashes. Problem is there is NO side airbag option. I wonder why?
  • Well side airbags were not very common when the insight was first introduced; the car is a small seller for Honda so they are not going to invest alot of money updating. Heck there are cars with side airbags that don't get a 4 star side rating.

I think now that Honda has mainstreamed hybrid technology into the civic and soon the Accord, that they should look at turning insight platform into a replacement CRX; imagine what that car could do with the 1.6 and 1.7 liter engines honda has produced in the last few years.
  • rcc442rcc442 Posts: 56
    Well, looks like Honda has announced that Insight WILL be built for 2005. But, the problem is, they said there will be NO changes from the 2004 model.

Problems with this:

1. They will not be including any advances in hybrid technology (batteries, motors, wiring, etc.) that they've learned. So, should one buy a Civic or Accord hybrid instead? Are/Will they be significantly "better" because they are "newer" technology?

2. I can't believe there was no room for any improvement. Can you say that "everything" in the 2004 is "perfect"? That there was nothing learned from warranty repairs, etc. that could have been corrected/adjusted for 2005?

3. Would have been really nice to get a different color interior.... I really have a problem with that brown/tan they use! I can't understand why they didn't choose grey, which would have gone beautifully with the three available external colors.

And, I can't find any statement as to how many they expect to build for 2005. Will they purposely keep the number small so that dealers won't need to discount? Or will there be plenty available once they start rolling in? I know at the end of the 2004 model year dealers here were discounting left-over Civic hybrids.
    No changes for 2005 doesn't mean a car is perfect. It probably means that the sales volume doesn't justify changes, such as a new interior.
  • rcc442rcc442 Posts: 56
    Is it true that the Insight is not a "full hybrid"? In other words, when starting from a stop, it always starts the gas engine, correct? And, for most around-town driving, both the electric motor and gas engine run, correct?
    (If both of the above statements are true, then it is not a full hybrid, since a full hybrid will use only the electric motor for starting and most around-town driving, unless the batteries are low or if the driver demands more power.)

However, this may be a moot point, since the Insight's fuel economy is so high as it is...