Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Insight

Comments

• midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Posts: 1,978
    and you won't see a Del Sol version of the Insight. The Indsight has horrible sales and is still a money loser for Honda. 2005 is tha last year and it is special order only.

Honda will be bringing a new smaller car next year (2006) named the Fit/Jazz to complete with the Scion and CE Corolla. There will also be a SI perfomance hatchback. Additionally there will also probably be a high fuel version, probably not a hybrid.

As soon as the clean sulpher is in effect in USA, Honda should start importing their diesel models. There will be several versions, including a probably 90 mpg Hybrid diesel manual shift car.

The Insight for all practical purposes is DEAD.

Good Luck,

MidCow
  • Agreed the Del Sol never seemed to be a hit, which is puzzling for the following reasons:
    1) I owned a VW convertible and had the top slashed and radio stolen. The Del Sol top would have acted like a hard top and probably prevented that from ever happening.
    2) The Del Sol is quieter than a "Rag Top" convertible when the top is on.
    3) You can roll down the glass rear window. A nice feature with the top on or off.
    4) With the top off, you don't get the wind blowing directly on you. You feel it, but it's not blasting on you.
    5) The storage section for the top (when off), is in the trunk. It holds it in place and you still have a lot of room for luggage. Not many two-seater convertibles can brag about that.
    I'm merely pointing out that Honda could offer two available models of the Insight. A current "Hatchback" model and one like the Del Sol for a "Targa Style" model.
    The Honda dealer in my area informed me that the Insight will be continued with a new redesigned body for 2006. Possibly the IMAS.
  • I have been a big fan of the Honda Insight for some time now. Here in Texas the dealers do not stock them nor will most dealers order them. I recently found a dealer with a red Insight with automatic transmision leftover from a local autoshow. I found it at a dealer and test drove it and fell in love. I put some money down, and ordered a silver 5 speed. (After convincing the salesman that I did not want the model currently in inventory. I was told not to expect the car for about 3 months. This was cool with me because I already own a car. Has anyone ordered an Insight? What was the time frame given for delivery? and was it accurate? Any troubles with ordering one?

Paul, Insightless in Texas
  • I PAID $20, 862.00 18 months ago @ LAKESHORE TOYOTA in Burns Harbor INDIANA. I pay $268.00 every 6 months for "full coverage ins. @ Farm Bureau. No breaks on plating the hybrid in Indiana (although Indiana should be ashamed for not offering a discount for plates and a tax break from the state tax people.
    Railroadjames(enjoy the ride)
  • aldgealdge Posts: 3
    Has anyone found an after market armrest that is nice and works in a 2001 CVT? Thanks,Aldge
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,676
    If you own a hybrid vehicle and live in New England, a reporter would love to hear about your experience.
    Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com by May 1, 2005 with your daytime contact info and any brief comments you care to share via e-mail.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    Consider buying a hybrid? Reconsider after you learned about the long wait? Whether or not you chose to add your name to the waiting list, a reporter is hoping to hear your perspective. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info by May 27, 2005.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • Sounds good! I have over 100,000 on my 2001 Insight and will take a trade lke that!
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    Hey, I think that might set some sort of record on Town Hall--nearly a year between the post and the reply! :)
  • Hi -- I need to replace a tire, so I should replace two, right? Can any of you advise me what tire would be good for this car? I drive mostly in NYC plus some Northeast highway driving. TIA!
  • tlhjtlhj Posts: 1
    I've been searching for several days for a 2005, standard transmission , Honda Insight . Calling dealers all around northeastern USA . Can anyone tell me where I might find one . I know it's out there . Many Thanks
  • Something to consider before buying a Honda Insight: The rear wheel skirts are attached with two quarter-turn screws that evidently are prone to release. I just lost a wheel skirt on the freeway this past week after having my tires rotated. Thankfully, the airborne skirt did not strike another car, but it was totally destroyed. Cost to replace the skirt and the two bolts: $275. This event totally wiped out my savings on gasoline for the past six months. I read in the Edmund's road test review of the Insight back in 2000 that the team experienced the loss of a wheel skirt during their 15,000 mile test.
    Also of note: I bought the car used and wanted to replace the cabin air filter. The dealer had to order the filter and it took a week to arrive. I was expecting the skirt and bolts take at least as long. Oddly, the wheel skirt and the bolts ($15 each) were in stock in the local warehouse. That's seems peculiar for a car with such a limited production run.
    I'd like to get some feedback from Honda Insight owners who have had the same experience, to see how extensive this problem may be.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,680
    I would hit up the tire people for sloppy workmanship. You may get something from your insurance on Comprehensive. May not be worth the hassle.
  • Is it still possible to order a new Honda Insight through the dealer or are they completely gone?? What is the MSRP if they are still available?? Thanks...
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    Honda sold 80 of them in August, so they are still around....
  • I was wondering if anyone on here has purchased a new Insight recently and what price they have paid? Im going to stat looking and wanted to get an idea what i would expect.

thanksin advance!

Mike
  • I was quoted MSRP( Baytown ) with $1,000 deposit to special order a 5-speed manual. The automatics did not seel weel here and at least one car dealer has three sitting on their lot; I think one of each color. ( Gillman Houston)

However, I really don't think you can order a 2005; production has stopped. Probably could order a 2006, but the wait migth be 3-6 months.

MidCow,

P.S.- I drove a used 5-speed, but apparently it wasn't very well maintiained. When it started up the was a lot of valve clatter; either the oil was now low or it had become low in the past. I passed on buying.

P.S.S. - I think the insight is awesome in mileage, features and styling. My wife said I would not be happy with the performance though; she is usually right!
  • One of my wheel skirts flew off at about 70mph. (unrecovered)
    Two things can cause this: 1) turning too sharp and running over a curb will loosen the structure. 2) Service techs do not care about the cars they work on and when rotating tires fail to tighted bolts.
  • yerth10yerth10 Posts: 428
    Are they going to manufacture 2006 model Insights.
    Will it sell with the 2nd gen Civic Hybrid boasting 50 MPG and costing the same amount of money.
  • I really want a 2006 Insight. As they are order only I cannot test drive it. Also, there are no used ones in the tristate area, my dealer searched last night. I want to know if it is too small of a car. I have a 2dr civic now and love it. I have never put anyone in the back seat, maybe threw a sweatshirt back there, but that is about it. My husband has a pickup truck, so if i get the Insight we will both have cars that cannot fit more than 2 people. (opposites attract, his car gets 12mpg on a good day!) But we have no children or dogs. The price difference between the Insight and the Civic hybrid are pretty darn close, but the civic only comes in 4 door and is really plain looking. Basically, what I want to know is if anyone feels that their Insight is too small? I need to get my order in ASAP and cannot make a decision.