Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz SLK Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Thanks for the reply. Yep, you have the traditional Mercedes color combo.

I'm eargerly awaiting to see what the U.S. press has to say about the SLK55 AmG and the CLS for that matter.

M
  • mbdmbd Posts: 12
    Why doesn't MB have a pretty red color for their SLK sports car. The mars red is too muted & ugly.... not bright red like a sports car. Please ... get a real, bright red color.
    And, get rid of the ugly black plastic grates on the hood. They look cheap. At least color code them.
    And, what with a 6 disc changer that takes up almost the entire glove compartment. What poor designing. Why should we sacrifice storage area?
  • reuel3reuel3 Posts: 114
    Please keep the discussion focused on prices paid and the buying experience. You are welcome to discuss the pros and cons of a particular vehicle on the model-specific forums.

Thanks!
  • I just closed a deal on a new SKL350 for $3000 of list. I shopped in the Phoenix, Dallas, ElPaso, Albuquerque, and Denver area. Phoenix is ~$1600 off, ELPaso is +1000, Albuquerque -1000. The availability in cars out of the LA port seems really poor. Denver (Littleton) is the place to go.
  • darius1darius1 Posts: 1
    Can you be a little more specific. What option packages did you choose and what was the final price for the car. (also does it include the recent $750 bump in price or was it off the lot at the old price.
  • dsbdsb Posts: 4
    in central valley california, i have found dealers that will take $1500 over invoice. seems pretty reasonable. what do you think? also, i know its not the right forum, but i have a question... if you get the entertainment package without nav; do you still receive the color screen? if so, do you think the look and features of the screen is worth the price vs the 6-disc upgrade option?
  • I bought the 326 Premium, 323 Heating, 427 AT, 320 DVD Nav, 775 Iridium on the 2005-2 model which has the $750 bump from MB. $51240 out the door.
  • dsbdsb Posts: 4
    I assume the $51240 is before tax. The invoice on what you purchase = $50540. That means you paid $700 over invoice. I think that is a great deal. Can you confirm that $51240 was before tax. Also, where did you get that price? Thanks
  • There is no sales tax on new vehicles in NM or in CO as near as I can tell. The dealer is giving me the MSO and I will pay 3% to register the car in NM. I am writing a check for the $51240 and driving off. I agree that I am paying invoice plus $749.

One thing I noticed is that there are cars that are on the ground that have 2005-1 on the sticker and those that have 2005-2. The 2005-1 have the lower price and you can get the sport suspension for $200 or so but now you must buy the AMG package to get the sport suspension.

There are two other dealers in the Denver area that said they would sell for $2500 off MSRP.

Good luck. I am driving up Wednesday to pick up my car.
  • rebukerebuke Posts: 1
    Hi

Just got a black SLK350 for 1000.00 below invoice. I did a ton of research, and ended up going through the internet department at the dealership here in SoCal. Saved me a bunch of $.
    Can an owner here give a brief statement as to how reliable their SLK has been so far?

M
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,897
    Hey merc1, howzabout starting a new SLK discussion on our Coupes/Convertibles board? I know you like to talk about them, and that's a better board than Prices Paid for general conversation.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• slk200slk200 Posts: 2
    I bought my slk200k a year ago.It is a 2002 model (60000km) and I've had no problem.Best car I ever had!
    Chris johannesburg south africa
  • slk200slk200 Posts: 2
    Would also be interested.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,897
    OK, I re-activated an existing discussion:
    Mercedes-Benz SLK

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mikeypdmikeypd Posts: 2
    I have been looking around to buy a 05 SLK350. Does anyone know where to go for a good deal on the SLK350 in the DC metro/VA/MD area???

Mikey
  • stroudmanstroudman Posts: 192
    folks, if you're trying to boil-down the numbers,it goes like this: mercedes fixed pricing about five years ago throughout the U.S., so the apple in Alaska will price the same as the apple in Florida, and everywhere in between. The mark-up in the cars is 6.9% across the board. So, you take the MSRP, subtract the $720 destination charge, then multiply that amount X .069 and that is the profit margin. Now before everyone responds with "holdback" and "rebates," let me say something about that, because this site is dedicated to disclosing that info, but I don't believe everyone thinks critically about it. In a perfect world where every car sells the day it hits the lot, the dealer NETS almost every dollar of that holdback. In the real world, cars can sit on the lot for up to a year if they're cold(wagons, for example) and consume not only their own holdback, but that of 4-5 other cars as well. All holdback does is pay the interest that the cars are drawing while they sit. A small dealership like I work at can expect to pay 3/4's of a million dollars a year in floorplan interest, and my store has two salespeople and we sell 80-90 cars a year each. The holdback barely keeps the lights on.
    Also, if you MUST be a shopper at this level of auto, try your best to buy from the people who will service your car, because the good servicing of these cars is far more of a value to you for the years to come than the moment of glory when you 'get the deal.' There is also, I think, the importance of spending your money within your community. Shop everyone else first, if you must shop, and give your local store the last word,(unless they are among the vermin that give this business a bad name). It's very easy to beat someone else's number, but pay someone for their time and expertise. Sorry for the rant. I'm a huge enthusiast, but I work long, hard hours(wah!) and feel like I have to defend the good people of my profession.
  • My salesman showed me a netstar invoice for a SLK, which lists "IRG participation $500". He said it's a sort of advertising fee imposed by the factory. I don't believe what he said, but he insists the dealer doesn't get the money. It's strange the factory invoice has even code 905 for that fee.
    Has anybody seen this kind of thing?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,792
    A lot of manufacturers add onto the invoice for national or regional advertising..

BMW calls it MACO.. and with them, it varies by metro area or region...

I don't think your dealer is lying to you.. If you think they are making up fake invoices, then using them to sell you on a deal, I'd go somewhere else.. but, that seems like a lot of trouble to go to...

When you ask to see the invoice, or negotiate a certain amount "over invoice", then expect to see a lot of extra charges...

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

most dealers are compelled to participate in regional advertising, it's part of the cost of doing business. The dealers are in business to make money, so if you're trying to manuever around that fact from one angle, it stands to reason they will try to make their profit from another angle. If you're in the market for a mercedes-benz automobile, then somewhere, someone is paying you a significant profit. Why, then, shouldn't you?
  • jwilliams2jwilliams2 Posts: 861
    Generally, the Netstar invoice bottom line is what the dealer pays MBUSA. IRG is a legitimate charge. Have to wonder why you "don't believe what he said". You might be better to work off MSRP as opposed to up from invoice. Would eliminate these misunderstandings. Most Mercedes Benz dealers I know don't sell at XXX over invoice anyway. Especially on a new roadster model with Spring coming. I mean, even if you paid full MSRP the dealer only makes 6% or so....
    Thank you! I find it hard to understand why so many people who are in this bracket of cars are so afraid to pay a profit. I think part of the reason our economy seems so slow to rebound is because so many consumers have made such a science of not paying anyone for anything, anymore. Money has to circulate. If you're going to buy a ford or toyota, by all means shop, there's a store on every corner. But when you're talking about a premium, pleasure car such as a mercedes roadster where service after the sale is a huge factor, pay the guys you expect to bend over backwards for you for the next few years a profit(not "holdback," a meaningful profit). At sticker price the dealer nets 6.9%, less than most state and local sales tax.
  • Regarding economy, it's yes and no. The money saved from SLK can be better used to buy PSP or other computers to save economy even more, :)

I believe dealers have to right to make profit. Also, we, consumers have right to look for better deal. The reason you see so many webs/forums/message boards for price issues is that simply internet works better for consumers.

I have never done invoice + something before. It's been alway fixed prices deal. So, I didn't know there is such item in the factory invoice list. Paying $500 more for a $50000 car should cause so much damage to a buyer. I just wanted to know if it's legal. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
  • My bad
    It should read
    "Paying $500 more for a $50000 car SHOULDN'T cause so much damage to a buyer."
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Posts: 336
    Have to replace my OEM Michelins--which are "summer tires" with "all season" tires as we get some snow in winter.
    Any recommendations? Am thinking about Pirelli "P Zero Nero" They look good from the info on Tirerack's site.
    Also how can I salvage some money from the Michelins that have less than 3K miles?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,792
    Why not wait, and put winter tires on next winter, then put the Michelins back on for the summer?

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• greasykid1greasykid1 Posts: 336
    You are right. ---If I don't sell my Michelins that's what I'll do.
  • I placed an order for a SLK350 on Jan. 3 and picked it up yesterday, Mar. 26. Unfortunately, MB raised the price by around $750 on Feb. 1. Thanks to my dealer, the agreed price was protected from the increase. The dealer had to show the proof of my order/deposit to MB to keep the previous price from the manufacturer. If you placed an order for one before 2/1, you should ask your dealer for the price protection.
    Please come over the Coupes board and tell us all about your SLK, colors, what you like/dislike etc.

M