Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 SVT Cobra

Comments

• First of all the M5 is not a sports car. A sports car, by definition has 2 seats and an open top. Also there is no chance that the Mustang could beat the M3 in the quarter. For the record the 2005 Mustang GT, with 300 hp and 315 lb/ft of torque does the standing quarter in 14.1 where as the current M3 without the SMG gear box (Which is faster than any human) with it's 333hp and 262 lb/ft of torque did it in 13.1. Not to mention the fact that the M3 would smoke the Mustang through the twisties. The next generation may be quick, but the next gen M3 due out by late next year will boast a V8 with at least 400hp. Ford wants to compete with the M3, good luck. They may want to move their operations to Europe, maybe them they'll be able to produce 105 naturally aspirated hp per liter. They can't even do it with a blower. It would be nice if Ford put in some effort instead of resurecting dead designs I.E. the GT, the new mustang, and the Cobra concept. They need to take a lesson from VWAG and come up with something origional. (VWAG stands for Volkswagon Automotive Group, for the majority of people on this post, who apparently know nothing about cars. NASCAR is not racing try watching LeMans.
  • Here is the problem that you may not be thinking about. Your talking about a BMW M5($58,000-80,000) vs a Ford Mustang Cobra ($32,000-40,000). Your spending at around $20,000-40,000 more for a M5. If I could afford a M5 I would most likely get one. Ford is more the less trying to appeal to the ones like me who can afford the payments. That is also why they manage to sell so many Mustangs. I have a 1998 Cobra which I have invested roughly $20,000 into. Now since I have spent more money on my Cobra I would demolition a M5 whether it be through the turns or the straight away. Me pushing 700rwhp (825rwhp on the spray) and having my suspension upgraded would just not be right if I was lined up with a M5. My main point being is that Manufactors appeal to different crowds with different models.
  • sanfordsanford Posts: 1
    If you just can't wait you might consider a Saleen! The S281-3Valve is featured in the April Road and Track. Its around $43K. Saleen also has turbo charged options.
  • xkssxkss Posts: 722
    the current one costs around $48,000. The next one will cost over $50,000.

Not to be rude but, one should drive the new Mustang GT before writing it off.

Here is the Mustang GT which was shown at the 2004 SEMA show. This one will race in Grand-Am Cup. Mustang GTs went 1-2 at this season's first race.

The new Mustang convertible's chassis is twice as rigid as the 2004 Mustang convertible's chassis. Here is the coupe's chassis.

The 05 Mustang GT's 4.6 V-8 engine weighs 75 pounds less than last year's iron block 4.6 V-8. It also has variable valve timing.

Who cares if the Mustang has "old" styling? It is this year's hottest car.

Carroll Shelby and Ford joined forces back in 2003.

Here is the Shelby Cobra GT500 that was recently shown at the New York auto show.

Who cares if the 07 Shelby Cobra GT500 doesn't have over 100 hp per liter? The current BMW M3 has a highly-stressed engine and it has had two service actions affecting dozens of thousands of M3s worldwide.

Let's just wait and see how the Shelby Cobra GT500 compares with the next M3 before saying this or that.
    from the Grand-Am 200 at Daytona earlier this year. Two Mustang GTs were 1-2.

• My honest mistake on the M5 and M3 mix up. Now your telling me to buy a better car? Your telling me to buy a big boy car? Please define what exactly is better and is a big boy car? To me my car is a better car..."to each his own" is a very powerful phrase. I bought the car because I had a 93 5.0 Mustang before. I race my cars as well. My car is very streetable and is my hobby. Also me sinking $20k into my car doesn't mean I am rich and can just spend a load of money at once. I have had my current Cobra for 3 years. When I bought the car I made a mere $29,000/yr. It was something that I could afford. Now over the 3 years I have been working my pay has increased to $50,000 year. So when I bought my car I couldn't afford much more. Now that I can, it doesn't mean that I have to upgrade to a "better" car because I am very pleased with this Ford product. Thank you.
  • divergdiverg Posts: 7
    I was at the car show yesterday...WOW!!! Have you ever gone looking to disprove a theory about how much you are REALLY going to love a car? I went to PROVE I DIDN'T want a Mustang (actually, that I didn't want the SHELBY). OH MY GOD. I am in love. The ultimate in MUSCHLE. The lines on this car are unbelieveable. The power of this car is awesome (oh yeah, it will be 450+ hp. The "+" is the variable they are keeping close to the vest). The care is beautiful and I am going to call my dealer on Monday (who happens to be an SVT dealer) to see about putting a deposit down. The news from the show is they will come in late 2006, but more than likely, 2007. I also wen to the SALEEN area. Very nice cars, but I felt like I was looking at a "Pimp my ride" show. I will buy one and love it. Just thought I'd share. By the way, the Ford rep I spoke to was extremely knowledgeable not only about the current cars, but the history as well. Great show by FORD!
  • tennecktenneck Posts: 1
    Uhm, Eurocarswin, please post some links to your assertion that the M3 is a second quicker in the qtr mile. Checking Car and Driver, they have the SMG running to 60 in 4.8 and hitting the Qtr in 13.4 with the SMG. They also have the Stang hitting 60 in 5.1 and hitting the Qtr in 13.5.

And, the M3 is $17k more expensive. I'm not sure I'd be crowing so loudly.

And, as far as "smoke(ing) the Mustang through the twisties" lets take a look at a race series where Mustangs and M3s compete in the same class...

Mustang vs. M3

...whats that? Wins in 2 out of 3 races? And its not even a NASCAR race. Yeah, what a dog. And, the Ford owned Mazda RX-8, defending champs BTW, pummeled the BMW Z4s and 330s in the ST class. Face it, and I say this as a current BMW owner, the world has caught up with BMW.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,914
    OK, this discussion is specifically about the 2006 SVT Cobra ONLY, and not a topic to debate whether my car can beat up your car.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• enmanenman Posts: 1
    does anyone have any info on a convertible model of this amazing new car?
  • I have seen many articles concerning the new '06-'07 Ford Mustang Shelby Cobra GT500. The title alone indicates someone doesn't know what it will be. I agree with another person here in this forum. Let's make up our minds! Will it be a Shelby or a Mustang Cobra? The one thing we are forgetting is the price. How many of us really believe it will cost $40,000 as advertised. Think again! The Ford GT-40 had a sticker price of $120,000-$130,000+(550hp). You can't own one without doubling or tripling that price. I had a 1995 Cobra ($23,000)and loved the hell out of it. I also can't wait for this new Ford to enter the streets. However, we all must think in real times here. With 450hp, what new vehicle do you know of is around $40,000? (BMW-M3 $50,000+ w/333hp). For years I have been awaiting a car like this. But the big question is; How many people will be able to afford it? Will some deep pocket idiot enter a dealership and order one willing to pay any cost, which will undoubtably drive it's price higher than a ghiraff's A-HOLE? These are important questions here. Let's keep it on a level playing field. "FORD DEALERSHIPS, ARE YOU LISTENING!!"
    I was in the market for a new Porsche 998 ($78,000+ w/340hp) :shades: but, after reviewing pics of this new Ford; I'll wait! If it's less than $80,000 I'll buy!! :P
    Thanks,
    FordCrazy!!
  • lets see BMW beat the Ford GT...also know in europe as the Ferrari Killer.
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    I'm still trying to reconcile these two statements:

"Will some deep pocket idiot enter a dealership and order one willing to pay any cost, which will undoubtably drive it's price higher than a ghiraff's A-HOLE?"

and......

"If it's less than $80,000 I'll buy!!"
    fordcrazy,

Just to clarify...

Ford's new mid-engined 550 hp super car is the Ford GT, not the GT40. Someone owns the "GT40" name. The Ford GT40 won the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1966, 1967, 1968, and 1969.

I think the Porsche you are thinking of is the 997 which is the new 911, which suffers from the RMS (rear main seal) leaks of the previous 911 (though not as badly). This RMS leak came out on the 1997 Boxster.

I think $40,000 is a fair price to pay for a car like the 2007 Ford Shelby Cobra GT500. It looks stunning.
  • stang22stang22 Posts: 36
    First of all,all you bmw and foreign car owners need to take your topics over to a different forum,or better yet,maybe move over to europe if you like your car sooo much!! As THIS forum is reserved for the new Shelby Cobra GT-500 Mustang, and for all TRUE American Muscle Car Fanatics,who truly appreciate a REAL High performance vehicle from good old USA-USA!!!! Key words here are American Muscle car(coupe),Not some 4-dr. velvetta cheese box from europe!!That being said,I believe this is going to be one hott-hott car when it comes out next year for about $39,500!! It will not only be the best bang for the buck,but it will compete with cars $30,000 over that.I can't wait to place my order,and actually get to see the road track test,on this beautiful beast!!! FORD HITS ONE OUT OF THE PARK!!! GRAND SLAM BABY!!!! USA-USA-USA!!!!! :D ;)
  • Okay I own 2 mustangs one a 1994 Ford Cobra 5.0 sn95 body and a 2004 ford mustang gt. The 1994 is a svt, But I am looking in to getting the 2006 shelby cobra gt500 but I have been told who ever owns a Svt Vehicle can only get one just like the dodge viper Is this true? _ Shelby _
  • bamfordbamford Posts: 3
    Oh, you mean dead designs like the VW Bug or Rabbit?
  • bamfordbamford Posts: 3
    This is not true, I know of a few people who own more than one SVT product, if anything, they should give you first picks! :-)
  • boomn29boomn29 Posts: 189
    If you wanna compare it with something... Pick the GTO or something.

400hp RWD vs est 450+hp RWD. That's about as close as you can get right now.

The GTO stickers at like 33k right now. I hate it, but just trying to help out. I believe Edmunds recently did a comparison of it vs the 33k STi (STi won). Not that I'm trying to open up a bigger can, just pointing it out for those who'd like to read about it.

Overall, I'm a former Mustang owner (95 base model) was my 3rd ride. Never really cared for it myself. I've always been a sucker for the 'look' of the old Shelby's, and the kits you can buy though!
  • manyfordsmanyfords Posts: 3
    If the Shelby is going to sell for around $40,000 then I am going to try to buy one. I think that it will hold its value well and with a supercharged 5.4 I don't think I will be modifying it too much. Maybe just add his and hers cup holders. Nah, scratch that; no eating in the car!
  • navigator89navigator89 Posts: 1,080
    If you're like me and want info on the 2007 Ford Shelby GT500, then you're going to want to read this article found in C&D.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=19&article_id=9638&page_number=1
  • shelbynutshelbynut Posts: 1
    I just want to know if the new shelby will be in production for more than one year!!
    It will be in production for more than one year. It can't just be a one year car.

The following is from Motor Trend May 2005 pages 55, and 56:

"Hau Tai-Tang, the 2005 Mustang's chief program engineer, was handed the reins at SVT last fall."

"Visceral feedback from all driver inputs will be greatly increased; differentiated, yet well harmonized."

"We won't hesitate to have you do a driving comparison against IRS-suspended competitors."

- Hau Tai-Tang, the 2005 Mustang's chief program engineer. He is now in charge of SVT.
    check here for a video of the show car and the test car with Carroll Shelby

cool video
    It will go on sale next year.

• Love that video. I placed a large down payment on one of these cars in late March, 2005. This was the soonest (after the New York auto show) that I could find an SVT dealer willing to take a down payment on a car not yet released. With the new platform, knock-out retro looks, Shelby designation, and modern supercharged 5.4l drive line, Ford has hit a home run right out of the American ballpark. Comparisons and criticisms be damned, I feel like a 40 year old kid waiting for Christmas. I hope to be the first 2007 Shelby GT 500 owner who needs new rear tires. God Bless America, and rock-on, Ford.
  • mtstonytmtstonyt Posts: 1
    hey i would love to know where to find this pict at
  • chuckdocchuckdoc Posts: 3
    I've seen posts here and elsewhere on the forums about people already on a waiting list. I've called 2 different major ford dealers in Oklahoma, each full SVT, Roush, and Saleen distributors, and each with Ford GT supercars in stock. They both said there is NOT a waiting list as of yet for the Shelby GT500. They did agree that one is slated for 2007, with delivery likely to begin late 2006. They didn't have a definite price or means of ordering yet.

My question is: Are all these guys saying they're already on a list simply telling lies? Or (more likely) are they being lied to and being put on some phony list just to get their deposit money?

I like the car and have the means to purchase it, but all I've been able to do is leave my phone number for when they can 'officially' make a list.

Any feedback?

Thanks all...

chuckdoc
    I've heard that there will be more high performance Mustangs besides the 2007 Ford Shelby Cobra GT500. Perhaps a lighter GT350 will be made.
  • jlbantajlbanta Posts: 1
    I have contacted 40 Ford Dealers (many SVT but not all) about getting my name on a list for this car. You wouldn't believe the various info (or mis-info) I've gotten. I've heard everything from there are only going to be1800 produced to 3-5000 per year. One dealer told me they will produce as many as there is demand for. As far as taking names and deposits.... many dealers have taken my name and promise to call when more info is available. A few refused to take any names at this early stage. Others want anywhere from a $500 to a $10,000 deposit, a couple of those were non-refundable, "I don't think so"! I have had dealers assure me they will not inflate the sticker price while others have told they will go for anywhere from 5-10k over and one guy told me 40-50k over sticker.
    The first time I spoke with my local dealer, (who is SVT) he assured me I was the first one to even ask about this car and told me I was #1 on the list. I called him a week later to show my seriousness and to discuss a deposit and he tells me they already have 4 bought and paid for and 4 others that had paid a substantial deposit, So now I would be #9 on the list. What a jerk! How do they even know they will get that many?? How can they have 4 bought and paid for when no one even knows what sticker price will be?
    I want one of these cars so bad but if the game is gonna be whoever can come up with $50,000 18 months in advance, then I guess I should just go buy a new Mustang GT!
    Thanks for listening, John
This discussion has been closed.