Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord Diesel????

Comments

• dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,429
    The ody wasn't too terrible ... about the same as a 96 Accord w/ 3 extra people. ;)
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I think it might have been better with some holes in the floor so the passengers could "Flinstone It" to help out with acceleration.

:shades: :P
  • rivetsrivets Posts: 8
    Was able to drive the TSX / Accord "demonstration" diesel today.

Liked it.

I think I want one.
  • blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    Well,then, tell us about the drive!!!!!!
  • rivetsrivets Posts: 8
    It was the silver one you may have seen pictures of either here or one of the other automotive news outlets. I think the New York Times drove it once too.

If you've read one of those reviews, I don't have much of substance to add.
    I did read the spec sheet inside, which claimed 60mpg highway on the European highway cycle, which would translate to something in the 50-ish stateside. It also claimed something like 40 (Euro) city, which had me convinced for a while they were talking imperial gallons - but I'm not so sure.

Acceleration was fine for a family sedan. It was slightly noisier than a 4cyl gas Honda, but not any worse than something like a Subie gasser. It was a manual (yea!) and compared to 4 cyl gas engines, the extra torque seemed to work well pulling away from stops.

What was perhaps most remarkable was how unremarkable it all was. It's a very serviceable family sedan - room for 4, decent handling, decent performance, and better fuel economy than a Smart.

It was only later that I found it would be offered in the US sometime in 2009. I don't know that we'll get one, but my initial impression is very very favorable.
    Thanks for the hands on experience. You can go to Honda UK. and get the relative mileage for the Accord,CRV,and Civic diesels. Multiply by about .82 to convert to mpg. Sorry to hear that it sounds a little noisy. Look forward to driving one in a few months.
  • noa1noa1 Posts: 7
    I think you need your facts up to date the VW Jetta TDI does not need urea. i think it's only needed for engines over 3 litter and up.
  • biker4biker4 Posts: 746
    It does not look good for a diesel Accord with the 2.2l engine. The 5AT in combination with this engine failed certification tests for the TSX (6MT passed), so things will be in limbo for a while.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    The Acura diesel may be canceled and since the Accord will probably be using the same or similar powertrain, it may also be canceled.

It's unlikely they will go ahead and release it in the US without an automatic version since they would have probably sold 90% automatics anyway.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/acura-puts-us-diesel-plans-on-hold.html
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,891
    So much for Honda having great engineers. They need to get a hold of VW to give them a few pointers on emissions for diesel engines. I am disappointed, though not surprised. Honda has very little diesel experience. They thought they could just jump in and compete with the big boys in Germany. Too bad guys better get a Jetta TDI.
  • quipsquips Posts: 9
    Honda's loss will be Subaru's gain since they will have an Outback with the diesel option.

I'll investigate the Subaru for my next vehicle. :P
    I'll investigate the Subaru for my next vehicle.

Don't hold your breath. I have wanted a small diesel PU truck since 1998. So far no company has brought one to the USA. VW is the only company that has been able to pass all the emissions to sell in all 50 states with a mid priced vehicle. Mercedes and BMW have passed the tests and will offer several pricey diesel rigs this year in all the states.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    Right now Subaru's diesel is only at the 43-state emissions compliance level, and apparently they are holding off spending the money to bring it to a 50-state standard.

So your predictions will probably prove to be uncannily accurate gagrice - all the much-vaunted and well-advertised forays into diesel by the Japanese companies will come to naught, at least before 2010. And that's too bad. :-(

Word on the TSX is that they will now put a V-6 in instead of the diesel that failed certification with the automatic. You know, the manual passed - wouldn't it be cool if they sold TSX and Accord diesel manuals while they improved the emissions of the automatics?

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

Word on the TSX is that they will now put a V-6

I just read that. Does Honda think because gas prices are back down that we want another gas guzzling V6? I realize that is the only way they can get the torque of a 4 cylinder diesel. Maybe they should try a little harder instead of making excuses. Oh well I would not have been interested in anything smaller than a Pilot diesel anyway.
  • I wonder why Honda used the 5AT instead of the 6AT? They could play with the gear ratios to get the same ranges as the 6MT. How far off was the 5AT version? One wonders why they would send a car for certification that wouldn't pass. When a car fails certification, do they get additional attempts or do they have to wait for next year?
  • I read the Left Lane news article and Honda was using the 6AT for the certification. Too bad they couldn't meet the standards.
    One wonders why they would send a car for certification that wouldn't pass. When a car fails certification

I wondered the same thing. They have all the test criteria. In fact they may have even done the testing. It is all pretty hushed up by Honda. I think it could be the exchange rate or any number of excuses.
  • My question now is what is Honda going to put in the "Camry and Altima" market segment? Their last attempt at a hybrid didn't pay attention to why people buy hybrid cars i.e. high mileage... .

OTOH, I don't understand how their 2.4L engine only gets 1-2 better MPG than the six which is a liter larger in displacement, but I'm getting off topic...
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    In the real world, most people are seeing much more than 1-2 mpg difference between 4 and 6 if they do much city driving. On the highway, it may not be much difference.
    Consumer Reports got the i4 at 3 mpg better than the v6 overall. The diff is greater in the city.
  • Seeing as the 4 cyl is giving up aboutt a liter of displacement to the 6 cyl engine, I'm not sure why you wouldn't see a greater difference. Could this be weight related i.e. you have to expend x number of horsepower to push y number of pounds and the 4 works pretty hard to do that while the 6 does not?
  • Anyone know how "dead" this project is? Is Honda going to develop further and bring this out in 2010+ or did Honda completely pull the plug on the diesel?
  • Yeah, is there any update on this vehicle ? Or is it a 2010 thing?
    If I recall correctly this is dead. It seems the automatic diesel did not pass 50 state emmissions so they pulled the plug. The stick shift did, but they won't bother for such small numbers. Too bad - I would have snagged a stick with the diesel.
    Dead as a door nail. Honda says it flunked the U.S. emissions test. However, they have redone the engine to make 170 hp and 280 ft. lbs. of torque. Maybe Honda will try it again,
  • quipsquips Posts: 9
    Consumer Guide Automotive said that 2010 Honda CRV may have a 2.2 liter diesel.

Vehicle Highlights
    The 2010 Honda CR-V may receive a diesel engine. This five-passenger compact SUV should continue to be available with front-wheel drive or all-wheel drive. Trim levels should include LX, EX, and top-line EX-L with leather upholstery. All should have a 166-hp 2.4-liter 4-cylinder engine and a 5-speed automatic transmission. A new 2.2-liter diesel 4-cylinder would make 138 hp. Maximum towing capacity should be 1500 lb with the gasoline engine. Available safety features should include ABS, traction control, antiskid system, curtain side airbags, and front side airbags. A power driver seat and dual-zone automatic climate control should be standard on EX-L. A navigation system would also likely remain available on EX-L. Versions so equipped will be priced as separate models. This report is based on evaluations of the 2009 Honda CR-V.
    That's old news. Honda put the diesel on hold. The new news is that the 2.2 now make 30 more horsepower and 20 more ft. pounds of torque. The newest news,is that Honda put the diesel on hold for business reasons: Not becuase it could not comply w/EPA as Honda originally stated. Which means: We may see a better Honda diesel in the distant future,
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    That future is truly distant, very distant.....

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• The 2.2 TDi engine had so much potential I was hoping that Honda might go back and re-engineer the emissions. It I may turn on the "Way Back" machine, I remember Honda using the stratified charge CVCC engines without catalytic converters but then was forced to go add them when the emissions laws made it impossible for them to pass without them. I wonder if this is a similar situation, instead this time needing to incorporate other technologies such as urea injection (I wonder if their 2 step cataytic converter system, while cool technology, just couldn't get things clean enough. OTOH, I'm sure I'm greatly oversimplifying this whole thing.

IMHO, we are seeing the effect of electing Mr. Obama -- they handed emissions controls to the states so instead of having one really good standard to run to, we can now have 50 different standards for the automakers to conform to. Just the thing automakers on the edge of bankrupcy need...
  • So what is Honda going to do for a high mileage option for the Accord line? Might they go for a new hybrid drivetrain with a smaller 4 and electric assist?