Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Colorado Prices Paid and Buying Experience

13»

Comments

• jfritschjfritsch Posts: 958
    That is silly, many domestic cars are surpassed in quality by "imports". The UAW and congress forced the "domestics" into a corner and they built large trucks, the only place they could make a profit with huge labor costs. UAW will survive, clipping a lower paid workforce in autos for dues.
    They are more competitive in heavy equipment and earthmoving equipment plants where their higher salaries are more justifiable.

Years and years of making a profit on trucks, and losing money on all the passenger cars, just keeping up market share.

With 1000's of suppliers everwhere, supplying american workers in "foreign" plants in the south, vs "domestic" in the north, with some auto's (pontiacs vibe and toyota's matrix) actually made in the same plant.

The only thing that distinguishes them is the chrome plastic emblem on the grille and the trunk, and thats probably made in China.

The Colorado is the worst example I know of. Any test drive comparison between the Frontier and Tacoma will put them way out front in all areas, especially for the same price. The Dakota V8 possibly if you have to tow, but it may be too expensive. The Colorado ranks just ahead of the 18 year old Ford Ranger, which isn't saying much. Go with the others even if you have a lot of GM points.

Good luck
    --jjf
  • 04cad04cad Posts: 131
    I guess the UAW and congress forced the imports to build new plants in the U.S. to build their own full size trucks and four wheel drive trucks? Just because the import companies don't have the retiree burden and are more profitable, doesn't make the Big 3 or UAW wrong in having that obligation.

Until the gas companies raised gas prices to $4.00 per gallon, the Big 3, including GM were doing okay. The UAW has given lots of concessions in the last 20 years to try and make the Big 3 more viable, and the quality of domestic vehicles has shot up, surpassing some imports in the same class of vehicle.

GM trucks (GMC and Chevrolet) have outsold all trucks in the U.S. for years and years, they have the best mpg in their class today, for years they have had a very high resale value. Malibu is higher rated than the imports in quality and I believe owner satisfaction?

Canyon and Colorado may have some issues, but if you look at the forums here and elsewhere, their competition have problems also.

Anti-American sentiments about vehicles or other issues are a big part of what is wrong with our economy today. It isn't enough for some people that the UAW and Big 3 have made huge strides in quality, design, mpg, and durability, while still having a living wage, with decent benefits, some people just like to bash American made products and workers.

To those who bash the UAW and it's workers, keep in mind, they have donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to the American public over the years through United Way, Christmas donations, thanksgiving food giveaways, gate collections for burn out victims, etc.
  • jfritschjfritsch Posts: 958
    Nobody here bashing the American working man. I know many. I love my Honda built in Ohio. Have a cousin who is a manager for Toyota in Kentucky. I work in America. Both have college degrees who were on the line. Flexible at many tasks, no bloated whales in blue shirts and golf carts drinking coffee (stewards) in their endless pissing contests with management "protecting the worker".

No 3 skilled trades taking 8 days to coordinate their busy schedules to change a light bulb. No union grievances from some hack finding a saleried man changing his own lightbulb. Union work rules, artificial in many cases to keep headcount high are extinct.

Those of us who were involved with the U.S industry and saw the UAW are amazed they kept the ball in the air this long. UAW will survive in heavy industry, trucks, heavy equipment where their higher wages can be justified.

GM trucks (GMC and Chevrolet) have outsold all trucks in the U.S. for years and years, they have the best mpg in their class today, for years they have had a very high resale value. Malibu is higher rated than the imports in quality and I believe owner satisfaction?

Great trucks-- Silverado and F series can take on all comers.. no doubt. Colorado is a miserable entry to the mid- size market. Problem is they lose money on everything else with this business model. Without the big trucks they are bankrupt.
    Whether the mediocre passenger cars or the better ones like Malibu, the profits aren't there. It's irrelevant what Malibu or others rate, if it can't be sold at a profit and costs are too high.(and you need profits to pay health benefits for employees and retirees. )

Big fan of the American worker. Big skeptic of many of the 7% or so captive in private sector unions like AFl-CIO, Teamsters, and of course the worst -- UAW.

Of course the Democrats in Govt who get their cut of union payroll thru dues and political contributions probably didn't help either.

Good luck
    --jjf

Anti-American sentiments about vehicles or other issues are a big part of what is wrong with our economy today. It isn't enough for some people that the UAW and Big 3 have made huge strides in quality, design, mpg, and durability, while still having a living wage, with decent benefits, some people just like to bash American made products and workers.

...living wage.... decent benefits..... $70/hr labor costs, the most gold plated benefits for high school graduates and retiress out there.... and you're babbling about a "living wage" and "decent" benefits. The average shmuck, many with college is out there for about $28.00/hr union or not.

because the import companies don't have the retiree burden and are more profitable, doesn't make the Big 3 or UAW wrong in having that obligation

No, very wrong .....if they're unrealistic there is no obligation. Bankruptcy and bye bye. No company no obligation. This is true whether the retiree on a company pension is union or not.
  • Greetings from Maryland! Today is Saturday, 28 Nov 2009, and I just wanted to post an update to my original message from Sep 2008.

I have put 23,800 miles on my Colorado, and it has performed very well. No problems or quality issues at all. I average between 21 and 22 MPG with the 5cyl engine. My commute is about 70% highway miles.

My only complaint is with the seating. In spite of having the eight-way power adjustments, it's tough to get perfectly comfortable. Either my legs are too close to the pedals, or the steering wheel is too far from my hands. But, I've been able to find a position that's an OK compromise.

All in all, after 15 months, and nearly 24K miles, I'm still pretty darned satisfied with my purchase.

Respectfully,

Mike R
  • Some dealers here have 2011 Colorado's on closeout price for 16k - it's a work truck with 4cyl 2.9L and automatic.
    It has cruise - which is really important to me.

Is it worth 16k? Should I counter offer something else??

Anybody?? :)
  • Bought a 2004 Colorado new. It is the best truck I have every owned. Has 5 cyl, with 4 whell drive. Have just clocked over 250,000 miles and still running strong. Have not had one major problem.
13»