Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Focus Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kam327kam327 Posts: 115
    Starting at dealer invoice is always good. Holdback for a loaded Titanium is around $800 so that's one place the dealer is getting money on the sale. Did they charge you a "dealer fee" or whatever name they gave it, usually $500-$600? That's another profit center. I look for the dealers that don't charge such a fee, which are few and far between.
  • Hey mndriver72, I'm looking for about the same trim in Minneapolis. Do you mind saying which dealers you looked at and got such a good deal?
  • tomcatt630tomcatt630 Posts: 124
    I got my new Focus SE, with 203A and Auto for the TMV(R) price. And my trade in was spot on with TMV too.

I refer Edmunds TMV to others looking for prices. :shades:
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,570
    A reporter would like to speak to anyone between the age of 20 and 30 who needed financial help from a parent to buy a new car. If you fit this description – or if you are a parent who has helped a 20-something son or daughter buy a new car - and you’d like to share your story, please send your daytime contact information to PR@edmunds.com no later than 3 p.m. Pacific/6 p.m. Eastern on Thursday, May 3, 2012.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• hackattack5hackattack5 Posts: 315
    2012 SEL hatch with the $2900 package leather, back up sensor, my touch and sony stereo. 1000 rebate 750 trade assist 500 private offer and a 1800 dealer discount. Milford Ohio
  • dad2bedad2be Posts: 57
    2012 SE hatchback manual transmission with 203A package, sport package, winter package, and 17" alloy wheel upgrade. MSRP was $21140, which reflects the new pricing with "no charge sync" discount of $395 and "SE sport regional discount" of $515.

Price paid was $18240 (+tax and tags), so the $1500 rebate plus a $1400 dealer discount. The $750 trade assist promotion is over, but the rebate went up from $1000 to $1500 this month. Also did not qualify for the $500 private offer mentioned above (even though I'd requested several brochures - no coupon included...)

In addition to the above, I got slightly above KBB trade-in value for "good" condition, and the Focus had to be located/brought in from another dealer.

I've got to disagree with the post above about just relying on the TMV prices - the TMV price for the Focus was $19405 ($1165 higher), mainly because the pricing on the site is not updated with the latest sync and sport package discounts. Also, the TMV trade-in value was about $500 lower than my reference point from KBB. I guess there's not one perfect site, but point is just to collect several data points from multiple sites and shoot for a reasonable target.
  • gambit293gambit293 Posts: 406
    Thanks for sharing, dad2be. Would you mind stating where in the country you are? And maybe even which dealer you worked with?
    Sure - I'm in eastern PA. Will post the dealer info on Tuesday - after I've picked it up - assuming everything continues to go well.

Something not mentioned above was that I got a few other quotes from other local dealers as part of the process. We can get X-plan pricing through my company, and I made the mistake of mentioning that for one of the quotes. The X-plan price stinks! It was a discount of just $905, plus same rebates. Stuck to traditional price requests without mentioning X-plan for the rest of the dealers...
  • billy3554billy3554 Posts: 147
    People using TMV to price a new vehicle should consider it is more of an average price paid rather than the rock bottom price which can be expected. Average means half pay more but half pay less. While TMV will yield a decent price, especially for people who do not enjoy the art of the deal, I would prefer to be in the half which pays less. I have accessed TMV for years and found it quite useful. However, I have always found a better price with a bit of work.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,876
    A reporter is interested in talking to any car shoppers who are thinking about buying any one of the following small cars: Chevy Cruze, Ford Focus, Hyundai Elantra, Honda Civic or Dodge Dart. Please send a brief description of your shopping experience and your preferred contact information to PR@edmunds.com by Monday, June 18th

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Delivery was today. There were very few Silver or Gray cars that met my exact specs, and turns out they had a very hard time getting a dealer to let one go. But in the end I've got the exact car I wanted, in my first color choice (Ingot Silver) for the agreed upon price. Also, they were able to beat my credit union's 2.49% / 60 month term rate - got me 2.39% / 60 months through Chase. Will take me a bit of time to learn the Sync system, as I'm use to fairly simple Subaru radios as of late. Everything went as-promised. Dealer was Haldeman Ford in Allentown, PA. Feels good to be back in a Ford...
  • rlc001rlc001 Posts: 9
    edited July 2012
    We just picked up our new 2012 Focus Titanium HB in Sonic Blue with Sport Shift, Winter, Roof, Navi, Parking, and Remote Start. MSRP is $27595. As a Costco member, we did not need to negotiate except for the remote start which I really did not want but it came with it on the only sonic blue car they had (and now even more, I would recommend Not getting it!). I was able to get the dealer to take an additional $200 off for the remote start ($445 MSRP). All in all, the total discount from the dealer was $3056. Ford currently (until July 2nd) has $1500 rebate, and I also received $500 rebate for college student (had to add my daughter in as the 1st owner and also on the loan). So the total discount including the rebates was $5056, for a purchase price of $22559 + tax and lic. I am happy with the deal. The sonic blue color is amazing! This car was built on 5/27/12 so it has all the latest fixes on the DCT and the MFT and is part of the Job#2 built which included the 4-way head rest and the flex fuel badging, in addition to the fixes on DCT and MFT. So far the car runs great! On 1 highway trip from south Denver to CU Boulder, the car computer registered that 45 mile trip to have a 54.5 MPG!!! Gotta love that if it is a true figure. Car is still too new to tell if that MPG is way over estimated by the car computer. Car still only has ~350 miles on it. So far so good and we are loving the car! The car purchase experience was also great with no surprises or game playing by the dealer to pressure us into adding any extras, i.e., car protection packages or extended warranty, etc.
    Awesome! I like the sonic blue too. Keep us posted on how things unfold. I'm especially curious about people's experience with mytouch.
  • venusjxvenusjx Posts: 2
    I am planning to buy a 2012 Ford Focus Sedan SE. I asked the dealer about the OTD price. The OTD prices are around 19,200 to 19,250. What price should I actually pay when I buy the car? Can I get a cheaper price. By the way, I am in Mississippi. Thanks.
  • rlc001rlc001 Posts: 9
    The OTD price will vary depending on your locations because of the sales taxes and lic fees, as well as the dealer doc fees (which is all profit but I was told that is non-negotiable from several local dealers. That fee varies from $499 to $649 unless you are on the X-plan which Ford limits the dealer fee to under $100) so I prefer to work with the discount from the car MSRP for comparison, and then you can add in those other fees to get the OTD price.

The first thing you should do is to use edmunds to configure the car you are interested in with the options on the car so you can get the invoice price of the car. I found the invoice price from edmunds to be exact except it did not include the Ford's Sync discount of $395. It also did not have the advertising fees and 1 tank of gas which all dealers have to pay and these 2 items totaled to ~$350 on my car.

For me as Costco member, the price was $825 under the invoice price with no negotiations needed. But my dealer required a $649 dealer fee.

Since my car purchase price was $3056 from the MSRP of $27595, the discount would represent approximately 11% off from MSRP so you can use that as a guide to gage if you are getting a good deal or not. That price is before the Ford rebates. So in my case, I have $1500 Ford rebate + $500 college rebate, so I got another $2000 off from that price, so my price was $22559 + $649 (dealer fee) + tax + lic.

Good luck in your dealing!
  • venusjxvenusjx Posts: 2
    Thank you so much! I may buy this car in Collins from Mississippi or Meridian from Mississippi.
  • I just purchased my ford focus SEL black, black interior leather, NAV, ford sync, backup sensors, 17 inch alloy wheels. MSRP price of 23,300, I got it down to 19,600 with a tank of gas. The OTD price was 21900 exactly. I feel like it was a good deal tax sucks here in CA anyways, but i feel like i got a good deal basically negotiated as close to invoice as we could roughly i think within 100 then took off 2500 worth of rebates 2000 as the deal they had and 500 for having a competitor lease. Will buy a extended warranty just heard it was better to go online to get prices.
    edited August 2012
    I never know what to think when comparing with other shoppers. It sounds like you and I got similar deals though I hope we are comparing apples to apples. A few days ago, I just picked up a 2012 SEL hatchback with premium package, moonroof, and winter package. MSRP was $24,950 (that includes the destination fee). My "price," as far as I can figure, was approximately invoice. After $2,500 rebates as well, my OTD was $22,330. Taxes in my neck of the woods are 6% of price prior to rebates.

Dealer I worked with acted as if I was holding the place up, although it seems like others got better deals.

Edit: I mispoke: MSRP including $395 sync discount was $24,360.
  • Just picked up a 2013 Ford Focus SE Sedan with 200A (no charge sync), Auto Transmission, Sirrus radio, Super fuel economy package - RED for $16500 + TTL

Leif Johnson Ford -Austin

Example - http://www.leifjohnsonford.com/details/New+2013+Ford+Focus+SE+1FADP3F22DL115491+- Austin
  • Simply WOW ... the best I did on an 2012 SE with A/T and 201A package (sedan) was 3,580 off MSRP .. that was rebates and discounts .. new car

BTW - sign up on the FORD website a good 6 weeks before you want to buy and they send out a 500 to 750 off coupon as well ... mine came two weeks after I bought ... Dhoa!!
  • Saw the same deal in MA for a 2013 SE w Automatic and Sync .. unlike the 2012, the 2013 comes wth Alloy wheel, side morror turn signal indicator, Sync, two 12v outlets and a USB port ... not sure about Cruise ... Does not have the fog lights ...

All in all an impressive deal for the car
  • Hey there, your message sounds awesome! Would you please tell me where can I find the deal at MA? Also, I didn't find the ford coupon so far, is it in the official website, if it's, I might did not recognize it.

Thanks a lot if you can let me know more about it! :)
  • If you're in the Houston area, I would check out Mac Haik. Got a manual se hatchback for 14,633 before ttl. Great price, very happy with it too. The process was a little longer than I had hoped, but they didn't try to pull a fast one on me so I would still recommend them.
  • Hello all....

I'm relatively new to the world of the art of Car Buying. In the past, we always bought Ford/Mercury because of the ease of the A Plan.
    Is anyone here familiar enough with A/Z plan pricing to know if I can do better with a little work on my own, or just settle for the no hassle A/Z plan pricing?

We are looking at '13 Titanium, not sure if we'll do 4 door or HB. I would publish the price, but I would think that violates some sort of terms of service for my plan sponsor.

Thanks in advance.
  • 2013 Ford Focus SE Hatchback - SE appearance pkg, winter pkg, auto
    MSRP $24,225
    Invoice (according to edmunds) $22,378
    X plan pricing
    Ford Rebates: $2,895
    Total Car cost after rebates: $20,050
  • Sounds like a pretty good deal. What was your final OTD, including taxes, title, etc.?
  • Getting quotes in DFW of 16,500 + TTL. Good deal? I really dont need a car till March/April. Is it best to buy now or should I wait?
  • coolgdeltacoolgdelta Posts: 4
    edited December 2012
    I have an offer for 13998 plus ttl after all rebates ford focus se with mysync automatic
  • jcfialajcfiala Posts: 3
    edited December 2012
    It was $21200 with TTL. (201A+winter, 5 door)
  • Wow. Thats a crazy good offer. Where is this at?

I picked up a 2013 Focus HB SE in Ruby/black. Got that for 16000 + TTL. So you are a good 1Kish below(accounting for HB price difference of 1K).