Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Focus Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Hey Matsukes, Can you e-mail me the name of your saleperson at Kunes Ford...

Thanks, djackson@startribune.com
  • need some help....looking at 08 s focus auto only. msrp 16,270....am thinking of offering 12,000 otd including doc and ttl. is this realistic given the total rebate is 2000 if i finance w ford. thanks
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    It will be dificult for anyone to give an opinion on your "OTD" price, since sales tax can vary from 0 to about 10%, depending on your location and there are also fairly significant differences title and license fees among the states.
  • I'm working with a dealer for an '08 SE Focus and here's what they're telling me so far:

MSRP 15585
    + 815 automatic trans
    + 670 destination & delivery
    Final price: 17070 + tax + title/etc

w/X plan it is $16,155
    w/MI tax + title final price w/X plan is $17147 less $1,500 rebates if using Ford credit.

That comes to a final price of $15,647

This is SE vehicle w/standard equipment.

Is there anything else I can negotiate? The dealer says that with the X plan, there are no other offers other than the posted Ford rebates. Is that true?

Thanks for any help!
  • jfritschjfritsch Posts: 958
    14500 for a 17000 focus is a lousy deal. Read the last few pages of postings. This is about a $5000 off msrp car, and has been for 5 years.

Many can get the mazda6i sve auto sedan msrp 21200 for the 16000's the mazda3 loaded i touring value edition auto sedan for the 15000's. Certainly if you drove any of these after you paid 14500 for a Focus you would feel sick to your stomach.

The dealer says ... Certainly you jest.

Good luck
    --jjf

I'm working with a dealer for an '08 SE Focus and here's what they're telling me so far:

MSRP 15585
    + 815 automatic trans
    + 670 destination & delivery
    Final price: 17070 + tax + title/etc

w/X plan it is $16,155
    w/MI tax + title final price w/X plan is $17147 less $1,500 rebates if using Ford credit.

That comes to a final price of $15,647

This is SE vehicle w/standard equipment.

Is there anything else I can negotiate? The dealer says that with the X plan, there are no other offers other than the posted Ford rebates. Is that true?

Thanks for any help!
  • elena250elena250 Posts: 28
    Anyone know of dealers in the San Antonio-Austin area who might be good to deal with to get a good price. From what I read here I should be able to get a Ford Focus for about 15,000-16,000 with sync, abs, auto, etc. for this price OTD. However, when I go to the dealerships they seem to say that's impossible. What is a reasonable price at this time?
  • Cincinnati Ohio Blue oval dealer today gave this quote on a 08 S focus with auto,sirius satellite and anti lock brakes....Sticker 16,840 Quoted 15,700 plus tax at 6.5% title 275, minus 2000 in rebates.... comes to 14,995 otd..... Where are these 5000 off msrp deals supposedly happening........thanks
  • capellacapella Posts: 20
    "Where are these 5000 off msrp deals supposedly happening........thanks"

Good question.

Posts from jfritsch might be correct, but I sure don't know, $5K off of a $15K car that's selling well . . . and the posts from jfritsch usually seem to be accompanied by a plug for the "superior" Mazda 3. Well, that's all in the eye of the beholder. For example, for those who don't live in large metro areas, Mazdas might not be the best bet. In fact, our Mazda dealer dropped Mazda and there's no Mazda dealer within 100 miles of where I live! The dealer network is actually a little thin on the ground in many areas of the country (which is too bad, they make nice cars, we had an MPV we liked a lot).
    Request bids from 20 dealers via email last week of the month for a sedan of your approximate specs (approx 18000msrp etc) Work with the last 3-4 who need to make a sale. (Smoke the 5000 off deals out) With 3500 Ford dealers nationwide and about 1000 mazda, the concept there may be many more ford dealers in an area is no news.

Do the above with the mazda dealers on the 3 and 6 value edition sedans.(18100 and 21200 msrp respectively) and if you can get in the 15000s for the 3 and mid 16000s for the 6 seriously consider them if you can't get near the 5000+ off the Focus. Things may be kinda batty with the run on 30 mpg vehicles but can't imagine you can't work something out. Test drive both brands and the quality differential is obvious.

The 07 mazdas used go for about 13000 and change 07 while the 18500 loaded Focuses barely trade in for for 11000. (kbb.com).,

Of course, in many areas of the country the 09 sonata gls auto (msrp 20000) is going for about the 15000's, is loaded with a massive warranty and is competitive with the bigger Mazda 6. Either at the price points is superior to a loaded Focus for 14000 and change.

Good luck.

Where are these 5000 off msrp deals supposedly happening........thanks"

Good question.

Posts from jfritsch might be correct, but I sure don't know, $5K off of a $15K car that's selling well . . . and the posts from jfritsch usually seem to be accompanied by a plug for the "superior" Mazda 3. Well, that's all in the eye of the beholder. For example, for those who don't live in large metro areas, Mazdas might not be the best bet. In fact, our Mazda dealer dropped Mazda and there's no Mazda dealer within 100 miles of where I live! The dealer network is actually a little thin on the ground in many areas of the country (which is too bad, they make nice cars, we had an MPV we liked a lot).
  • Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,028
    A reporter with a large national newspaper would like to speak with consumers who purchased a small, fuel-efficient vehicle in the past couple of months. If you are new small fuel-efficient vehicle owner, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Thursday, August 21st.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• mrrk47mrrk47 Posts: 104
    The Focus is no longer a 5,000 of sticker car. How can Ford's best seller next to the Escape Hybrid be a massive discounted car. I know a little bit about the current pricing of the Focus and all Ford cars right now. Here's an example of the best deal possible without the dealer losing money on the car.....
    2008 Focus SE auto, SYNC, 6cd, ambient lighting, 4dr:
    msrp 18,590
    invoice 17,450
    maximum dealer discount -500
    rebate -1,500 customer cash
    rebate -500 using ford credit
    subtotal: $14,950 plus tax and fees

3,640 is not 5,000. This is pretty official pricing
    one more thing jfritsch....chances are unless you go internet and grind deal so bad you don't car about the poor salesmen you could'nt get this deal becuase Focus's at 500 below inv don't need that much disc. ...you's be lucky to get 500 over invoice nowadays
    Oh brother... poor salesmen, grind deal ........ I calculate the dealers cost as......

I know things have picked up in the 30 mpg vehicle segment but the Focus is a 5000 off msrp car. At only 3500 off (Focus) the mazda3,(about 15500) Mazda6 (21200 msrp, 16000), and others are much higher quality. My brother just bought a 09 Hyundai Sonata sedan gls auto (msrp 20000) for 15300+ ttl. Huge warranty and much higher quality and more car than Focus. Mazdas and Hyundais great ratings from edmunds.

You fellas may be hopeless but for the many others fyi.

Good luck
    --jjf

one more thing jfritsch....chances are unless you go internet and grind deal so bad you don't car about the poor salesmen you could'nt get this deal becuase Focus's at 500 below inv don't need that much disc. ...you's be lucky to get 500 over invoice nowadays
    There are people out there who still want to buy American and will choose the Focus over those others. Have you sat in one recently? The quality is far better than the 2007.....To make it a 5,000 off car you have to go into HOLDBACK to do it....that is not the first option. HB on a Focus is in the 550's. It can happen if Ford tosses more rebates... they won't anymore. I
  • Let's stick to them...

We have many comparison threads... do a search...

Thanks!

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Happened to see an Automotive News article, from July 7 issue, about average transaction prices increasing for Focus (as well as other small cars). The figure for the Focus was an increase 8.3% in the last year and average transaction in June was $15,885. By my math that means average one year ago was $14,668 and average has increase by $1217.

So perhaps what was a $5K off car is now a $3800 off car.

In the same issue is an article titled: As car buyers flee bigger engines, dealers scream for 4-bangers. In talking about one large dealer this article says: His Ford-Lincoln-Mercury store has a 10-day supply of me (sic?) Focus and four-cylinder Fusion. "I could take all the Focuses and four-cylinder Fusions they could send,"
  • Got this deal today from a Cincinnati Ohio Blue Oval Ford Dealer.............
    2008 Focus S, Auto,Anti lock brakes,Sirius satellite radio.
    MSRP 16,850, Purchase price 15,000.00, Doc fee 250.00 Tax (6.5) 991.25 tile fee 25.50= 16,266.75 minus 750.00 Ford rebate brochure, minus 2,000.00 public rebate w Ford Financing = 13,516.75 OTD.........Thats 4600.00 in savings.......
    We couldnt be happier with the purchase, love the fit and finish, and the way this car handles! No doubt you get your best deal when the EOM looms large and the sales manager needs to move some metal.
  • pats1pats1 Posts: 36
    We just took delivery of a 2008 loaded SEL, sticker $19450. The dealer gave us a $1250 discount and the $1500 factory rebate; that's $2750 off MSRP, or $16750. Where I live the discount reduces the tax liability but the rebate is treated like cash down, so you apply taxes before it's figured in to the deal. We passed on the Ford Credit financing and the associated $500 rebate, as my credit union beat their rate by enough to save me that $500 many times over. You need to watch those rebates tied to financing - they are not always a good deal. If I would have taken that rebate my total "off" would have been $3250, not $5K. I've dealt with this dealer before, and when he says there is not $5K to work with, I believe him. Other posters have talked about the holdback being in the $550 range, which is correct. So even if you can find a dealer willing to part with an '08 with very few left and provide a discount (like mine did), I doubt he's going to go into his holdback. There just aren't that many left. Maybe 8 weeks ago, but not now.
  • A reporter from a national newspaper would like to speak to consumers who recently purchased a new small or mid-sized car and either got great financing or cash back/incentives offered to them . If this is you, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime phone number by Wednesday, October 8, 2008.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• A reporter from a national newspaper would like to speak to consumers who have downsized their vehicle in the past year . If you moved from a larger vehicle to a smaller one, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime phone number by Thursday, October 16.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.