Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Focus Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• chetjchetj Posts: 324
    i bought a new basic focus for 9500$ in nov 2006...my wife qualified for the first time buyer discount...it is very roomy and 39k miles later it still runs great...i also work at a place that makes transmission parts for the focus and f-150
  • I'm looking at a 2009 4 door SEL automatic.
    The car is maxed out with heated seats, moon roof, sync, etc.
    The email from the dealer has

list price = $21,020.00
    internet price = $15,400.00

OTD = $16,771.09
    with ford credit @ 8.9% including $500 rebate.

I've been approved by chase for $15K at 5.6%
    OTD = $17,271.09

According to this http://www.bankrate.com/brm/calc/rebatecalc.asp
    I save $974 over the life of the loan by taking the lower interest rate.

Questions:

What do you think about the $17,271.09 OTD price? I think it's too high.

I want to buy this weekend; should I tell him?
    Will telling him "if he gives it to me for $16K OTD I'll go get it right now" help?

I haven't told the dealer how much I've been approved by or the rate.
    Should I? Could it help me get a lower OTD price?

FYI: the local mazda dealers offered me Mazda 3's for 2K less but with only auto and ac - nothing else! One guy offered me one with no ac! I live in Miami! :)
  • capellacapella Posts: 20
    Where's the dealer's profit at $16K out the door? I don't know what the incentives are in your area, but wouldn't that be about $7K off of a MSRP of $21K?

Try it out, maybe it would work, but that would sound like a heck of a deal.
  • I tried it and the dealer said:
    "Wish I could help but I'm giving it to you with no dealer fees"

That was from a small town dealer in central fl where my mother lives.
    I tried a local dealer and got an OTD price of $299 more.

So now I'm pretty comfortable that the price is fair.
  • jfritschjfritsch Posts: 958
    You want about 4500-5000 off a 09 Focus this time of year. Not much more than previous years. So no rip roaring bad economy deals unless you exceed this by much.

Anything less than that and you are better off getting 5-10 bids on a 09 M3. Bigger interior dimensions and a much better auto all around, even if a thousand or so more. That said may be worth it even if $5000 off the Focus. The M3 sells for about 3k off msrp, putting a nice i touring value edition with alloys and auto in the 15k range or less.

Also the 09 Hyundai Elantra gls auto for 13-14k-ish before the Focus but still behind the M3.

Good luck
    -jjf
  • carolr94carolr94 Posts: 5
    Do yourself a favor and DO NOT BUY A FORD FOCUS.....................they have trouble with the TRANSMISSIONS...............I had 38 thousand miles and took it to a Dealer as the engine light came on and the car was jerking they said it was a selenoid replaced it to the tuneof $500.00+ and it did the same thing now they say it is the transmission.........................Just don't do it.........................
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,452
    you could look into refinancing the ford credit loan after a few months.
    many banks/credit unions will refinance at new car rates.
  • matypuppymatypuppy Posts: 3
    I am looking for a Focus SE and the MSRP with the options is $19245. The price I am quoted before tax, title, and fee is $17779 in Virginia.

I also have the $500 College rebate and the $1500 Drive the Difference.

What do you think?
  • essiemessiem Posts: 1
    I'm just starting my research on purchasing an 09 Focus SE coupe - with Auto Transmission + the ABS option - and I want the dealer to throw in the floor mats and cargo mat for free. I'm a current Ford driver, and my family has bought 4 cars from the same dealer over the past 22 years, so ideally I can use that as leverage. My current car is a 1990 Probe - less thank 50K on it. I will be paying cash - what is a good OTD price for the NYC/Long Island area?
  • kcrossleykcrossley Posts: 172
    I'm considering an 09 Ford Focus SE for my 18-year old. What is the going price for an SE? I'm located in the tidewater area of VA. Thanks!
  • area123area123 Posts: 22
    Don't know how it would be in your area but I've gotten several quotes for an 09 SE auto w/ cruise control. That just seems to be how they are equipped around the Tulsa, Ok area. Best price so far is $14749 on the SE, and $15558 on an SES Auto. This is after $2500 in rebates assuming the $500 rebate using ford credit also. I was hoping for about $14500 on the SE which would be in line with Edmunds TMV, and about $15100 on the SES.
    The Focus has been about a $5000 off MSRP car in summer for numerous years. If you are in an area where they Hyundai Elantra can be had for close to $4000 off MSRP, that would be a better car and deal.

Car prices have been jacked up recently because of the $3500-$4500 cash for clunkers vouchers from the govt. This may last a few months.

Good luck
    --jjf
  • wingerrwingerr Posts: 2
    It's been a long while since I bought a new car, and I just paid MSRP on a 2010, to which the dealer added another $321, listed in "dealer installed equipment" which he called a dealer fee. He stated it was for performing paperwork like "lien release".
    This is something I've never heard of, is that really something that's done for a new car? Or is this just the new way for the dealer to put the usual "ADP"?
    This dealer did some really creative things with the invoice, which I had mostly corrected, and this dealer fee still remained.
    It seems the old car sales practices that kept me from buying new are still alive and kicking at some places.. I have to admit it was quite an unpleasant experience, being as unprepared as I was walking into the Ford dealership. My fault in being sucked in by the C4C program deadline.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Yes, these "document fees" are pretty standard. The amount varies by market. I just look at it as they are realy just giving a lower discount than claimed, though that does not work in your case.

In my area the fee is much more modest, typically $99-129. I've read of fees as high as $500-600 in some markets.

I hope you at least got the $2000-3000 rebates on your new Focus (or were those only on the '09?).
  • wingerrwingerr Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info- I really didn't think that add on fee was really on the level, but it's good to know it's not unheard of-

No rebates at all- there was a tristate ford rebate for the 2010 that I saw listed online for 1000, but this dealer didn't seen to know anything about it, and I didn't see it on the ford website, so maybe it was outdated or in error.
    A 2010 focus should have about 2500 off msrp in discounts etc. A 09 about 4500-$5000. Unfortunately most of this went out the window for many, as a deluge of people smelling free money flooded dealerships with sales rates for about 30 days never seen in the history of many dealerships.

Obviously, with demand that high, and many people entering the door who hadn't bought a new vehicle since the Reagan Administration, normal discounts disappeared supplanted by $4000 gov't vouchers straight into the dealerships and factory's pockets.

With some clunkers worth $1500 and up, many could have done better or as well a month before the gov't certificates. The flood of demand driving prices up cancelling out most or all of the $4000 govt check.

Just another $3 billion to the gov't debt clock.

--jjf

Thanks for the info- I really didn't think that add on fee was really on the level, but it's good to know it's not unheard of-

No rebates at all- there was a tristate ford rebate for the 2010 that I saw listed online for 1000, but this dealer didn't seen to know anything about it, and I didn't see it on the ford website, so maybe it was outdated or in error.
  • I'm looking for a new Focus sedan in Houston. Does anyone have idea how much I should expect to pay? Am I too late for the summer specials?
  • I mentioned this in other forums, but felt it was worth repeating... If you are a Ford Focus owner - try to check out the Ford Owners (http://www.fordowner.com) website. It helps to keep everything online, and allows you to keep track of your cars’ complete maintenance records, calendar/mileage of recommended maintenance, and tons of coupons to use when you have your car checked at a Ford dealer
  • Hi evrybody, I signed a contract yesterday at a dealer ( TryCastle in Silver Spring Md). They price they said OUT THE DOOR was not the one I found in the contract later when I get home...When I went to signed the contract I was focused on the interest rate and the monthly payment that I did not double check the price and options the charge me....Can anyone tell what are my option....
    Thanks
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,906
    Have you taken delivery?

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs