Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Focus Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• My brother and I just hammered a deal for my mother.
    We did well. 07 Focus ZX4 SES with auto, weather package(heated seats) and safety package (ABS and side airbags). $13800 + tax. No doc fee. That includes $2500 of rebates. MSRP was 17,660 and that was an old list price, because the car was delivered in June/July 2006.
    It took a lot of hammering,walking out, phone calling. The stories about a bona-fide $5k-6k + off MSRP are lies or sheer hyperbole. Show me the signed motor vehicle purchase contract, and I'll believe it. Yeah, there are good deals to be had, but these dealers don't give it up. In fact, a number of them are saying "oh they're 4 cylinder, economical cars in huge demand, these care won't stick around ..."

There are a lot of high volume, fake lowest price Ford dealers in MA who put out the lost leader ads in papers showing incredible deals, but when you go there you're given all sorts of stories and shifty back pedaling. These guys are scumbags, and they waste your time. Try a mom and pop smaller dealership like we did that has 1 sitting on their lot. You're better off going to a place that prides themselves on customer service, one price no hassle, and then break their rules by hammering on a sitting car on their lot. Screw the high volume dealers like Herb Chambers who are billionaires with glitzy showrooms and "capaccino bars". Like advertising that sexy new dealership is going to make me want to put more money in his pocket.
  • I have an offer, please let me know what do you think?
    Focus 5 DR ZX5 manual, 07 (I think it is SES)
    Has 50S safety package (ABS, front and side airbags)
    Interior upgrade package (20U)
    Leather sport bucket seats (?)
    Power moonroof
    The car has 5,000 miles on it. The salesman told me it is was in the use of the manager and it is actually new and I will be the first owner. However, later in carfax I can see that first owner is already listed (for two month). So I don’t know.
    I was told that I get 100,000 miles/5 years extended warranty (“premium care”) because it was in use. I asked him if it’s the manufacturer warranty. He said it’s of the dealership but it covers the whole states and it covers everything. I think this is nice but I suspect that I am missing something here.
    The price he offered is 15,750$. I didn’t even offer a counter offer (actually I didn’t even test drive the car because I forget my license).
    There is no question that I have no intention to pay even close to this offer.
    I would be happy to hear your opinion about this
  • not worth that amount money.
    Move on.
  • jfritschjfritsch Posts: 958
    You want about 5000-5500 off msrp for a new focus. Add about 1200-1500 off msrp for the 5000 miles and you want about 6500+ off msrp for this vehicle. Otherwise move on.

Good luck
    --jjf

have an offer, please let me know what do you think?
    Focus 5 DR ZX5 manual, 07 (I think it is SES)
    Has 50S safety package (ABS, front and side airbags)
    Interior upgrade package (20U)
    Leather sport bucket seats (?)
    Power moonroof
    The car has 5,000 miles on it. The salesman told me it is was in the use of the manager and it is actually new and I will be the first owner. However, later in carfax I can see that first owner is already listed (for two month). So I don’t know.
    I was told that I get 100,000 miles/5 years extended warranty (“premium care”) because it was in use. I asked him if it’s the manufacturer warranty. He said it’s of the dealership but it covers the whole states and it covers everything. I think this is nice but I suspect that I am missing something here.
    The price he offered is 15,750$. I didn’t even offer a counter offer (actually I didn’t even test drive the car because I forget my license).
    There is no question that I have no intention to pay even close to this offer.
    I would be happy to hear your opinion about this
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Add about 1200-1500 off msrp for the 5000 miles...

My guess would be that they can find a buyer who will be willing to settle for a lot less than 25-30 cents per mile off for the 5000 miles on it. Not saying less would be a good deal or something I would settle for

Also the extended warranty has some value. But because of the 5 year limit, it's value to the buyer kind of depends on how much they drive.

If your description is correct, it looks like invoice on a new one is about $15K, after taking off the $2500 rebate. So I'd think that would be the most you should have to pay and that is only assuming the value of the warranty to you is about equal to the discount you think you should get for the mileage.

The suggested $6500 off MSRP would appear to be about $12,500.
  • Thank you all.
    I just want to mention that the 15,750$ offer is OTD.
    The MSRP with all the options is 17,800$
    There is a 2500 rebate
    I am still confused. Do you think I should pay for this car 13K (or something like 14K OTD)? or is it too much for this car?
  • If you calculated the MSRP correctly then the dealer discount in that offer looks like about $1000, depending on which state you are in. That puts the deal at $3500 below. Offer $1500 less and be firm - see what happens when you refuse their decline. They might well agree or counter close enough to make you happy. I was just offered a well loaded BRAND NEW 07 ZX5 SES (AT, Safety, ... no moonroof, MSRP about $19045) for $15240 plus TTL That was an email offer, before any haggling. That was $3800 below and I figured there was maybe another thousand to be had by haggle. If I could buy now I would go for it at 14500 + TTL, but I need to wait until next summer to buy.

Second thoughts: I forgot about the premium care extended warranty. That should be adding at least $2k to the value, and might be taking the total discount to 5500 below MSRP. I personally consider this car more reliable than most and will not be buy an extended warranty next time, but it is worth something nonetheless. Back to MSRP, I get $19730 MSRP from Edmunds if that were an SES, $18900 if an SE, and the S doesn't offer the options you listed. The deal may well be a great offer already. You can still offer less and see what happens.

My personal feeling is that I don't need to squeeze the very last dollar out of the dealer. I don't mind if he makes something, just as long as my deal is reasonably competitive. I don't want him trying to re-capture his lost profit any time I show up for maintenance.
  • anlinaanlina Posts: 52
    Sorry for the double post.

I'm new to this forum, and just decided to consider the Focus SE. I'd like cruise control, side air bags and ABS.
    I'm in Southern CA. What would be your guess of a best price I should try for?

Thanks!
    You want about 4700-6000 off msrp for a 07 Focus. Sometimes the low end S models are advertised with 1 car teasers for 6000-7000 off. A 19000 focus barely wholesales for 11500 in a year. (kbb.com, nada.com) Get bids from 10-20 dealers end of month via email and work the top 2-3.

Good luck
    --jjf
  • I am not sure about 14K you are suggesting...for example, at the GMC dealership next to the Ford, I was offered for a new manual pontiac G5 14100$ OTD. This car has no ABS, moonroof, and has 2 and not 4 doors. But still, it's a new car. I feel that even if I get the Ford dearers down to around 14K for the ZX5 it's too much for a used Ford car. For around 15K OTD I think a can get brand new Japanese with similar options (Nissan Versa, Mazda 3), cars that are have better resale (especially in Michigan which is full with Ford cars).
    I will be happy with 13K. Maybe take it for 13.5K OTD, but not sure.
  • anlinaanlina Posts: 52
    JJF,

Thanks. With the packages I want, the Blue Book MSRP is $17685 without any cash incentives subtracted.

So...are you saying it might be possible to get it for $12,800 OTD?

Best,

Anlina
  • I think Ford is still offering 3000 in rebates, plus you should be able to get maybe 2000 more from the dealer, but that's 12685 PLUS TTL, putting the OTD price at 14285 (TTL in CA would be about $1500. I would be very surprised if you could get more than 2000 from the dealer. I was just offered a new '07 ZX5 SES for 15243 +TTL (also in CA), or just under 17k OTD before down payment. I got the impression there wasn't more than maybe another thousand to squeeze out, so getting that price OTD to 16K looked like the bottom line.

The car I was offered was SES with A/T, safety package, leather sport bucket seats, and CD-changer/MP3. MSRP 19170.
  • I agree and my experience was the same. $13,600 + tax ($12,975 + dest.) but mine was an SE not a SES, otherwise pretty much the same car w/auto, safety, etc. Small-town dealer. It had 18 miles, also had the cruise/tilt option.

I'm happy, I know people out there paid $17k + tax for this car six months ago. With tax I'm looking at $15k - not many people can say $15k tax included "OTD". End of year for cars is def time to buy...
  • I thought about that offer again, and I would walk away. It's a used car. 5000 miles is low, but it's still a used car. The first year depreciation, according to Edmunds, on that car is around 4500 as I recall. I see dealers all over the place trying to sell used cars for more than brand new cars with factory incentives and virgin warranties. I also wouldn't buy the extended warranty on that car, so that's wasted value. These cars do not have a reliability issue. Some people like the peace of mind of the extended warranty, but remember that most repairs are not fixing defects but normal maintenance. Unless this is a prepaid maintenance plan you will still pay about the same for maintenance with or without the extended warranty in my opinion.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    I don't know if it is a good deal or not, but that edmunds depreciation figure may be inflated. In one place they do list depreciation of $4437, then in another they show total cash price (before sales tax and fees) of $14,711 and resale after one year of $12,774...so less than $2000 in depreciation.

If you go through the edmunds used car pricing tool it comes up with a clean trade-in value at about $13,500 for something like this specific car. If the $15,700 price really is OTD (meaning it includes sales tax as well as fees) then the price before sales tax is probably only about $1000 above edmunds claimed trade-in value.
  • I paid my Ford Focus 2002 SE for morthan $17800 in Nov. 2002 (out door price). But I knew that someone has bought a Toyota Camry by the same price. And the value of used car are very much less than samilar Japanese cars. The fuel economy never reached the number on the tag. The cheap ththing of this car is the materials used by the car. The muffler of my 2002 SE has started leak because of rusting. It can only be replaced the whole exhaust system which will cost me more than $400 at dealer's body workshop. I really regret to have bought Ford Focus. I will never buy it again! :cry:
  • The problem I have with that offer is that there are still some new '07 SES's around. I was offered one at 15240 + TTL (about 17k OTD), with A/T, safety pkg, CD-changer and leather sport. MSRP 19170 - that's $1370 more MSRP for about $1300 more money, and the car is brand spanking new. There is no way I would buy a used car for about $3800 below what the MSRP had been when it was new, not when Ford is giving $3000 in rebates on the '07's remaining. The dealer will give at least 1000 discount after that and there is still profit in there. At the end-of year clearance time I don't think it's smart to buy any barely used car.

Now if that particular offer is the only way to get the particular color and option group, well then the person should buy what makes him or her happy.
  • unfortunately, in Michigan there are no new manual hatchback 07 left for sale. at least not that I know of.
  • Hav an offer on a fully loaded 07 ST with 8k miles on it. Car has all options and MSRP for that specification (07) runs to ard 21.5K.(checked on both Ford website and Carsdirect). Am getting an offer for 13.5K + TTL. Clean Carfax and vehicle appears pristine on test drive.

I think I'm getting a great deal and am really interested in buying. Any other opinions? advice appreciated.
    8000 off msrp is pretty good if it is a demo. Even used it is a OK deal. Check every inch for scratches etc as the rest is under warranty. Also recheck msrp under edmunds new cars as that seems kind of high

Good luck
    --jjf

i>Hav an offer on a fully loaded 07 ST with 8k miles on it. Car has all options and MSRP for that specification (07) runs to ard 21.5K.(checked on both Ford website and Carsdirect). Am getting an offer for 13.5K + TTL. Clean Carfax and vehicle appears pristine on test drive.

I think I'm getting a great deal and am really interested in buying. Any other opinions? advice appreciated.
  • Thanks.
    Edmunds MSRP also corresponds.
    no visible scratches.
    car has the foll options;
    heated leather seats
    traction control
    perimeter alarm
    sunroof
    Sony audiophile audio
    Appearance package 1
    side airbags
    :shades:
  • Hi, I feel that I should report you guys the result of my visit (with two very helpful friends!) to Varsity Ford, Ann Arbor, Michigan, negotiating on the ZX5 mentioned in previous posting. After test driving the car we set down. First I wanted to make clear and understand what I am buying. I started with the extended warranty I mentioned before. I asked the dealer if there is any deductible. I got 100$. He went to the manager to see if this can be changed to 0$. Got an answer no. So my opinion is that this warranty is not worth much, if anything: I have the manufacturer “Power train” warranty anyway up to 100,000 miles. And I don’t see a lot of parts that where included in the warranty that made this warranty worth with this deductible (in the two year left for this warranty to be actually needed)

Next I turned to the more important issue. As I mentioned, I got he offer for this car at the new cars office. I was not interested in a used car (I will buy a used car from a private seller if I am interested). At my first visit, the dealer presented me this car as a car the manager drove. I asked if I will be the first owner listed and he said yes. Later at home I checked in Carfax and discovered that there is a first owner already listed to that car. I concluded that they are lying and thinking that if they put the car in the new cars section it will be easier for them to mislead buyers that look for a new car and won’t mind buying a “new” car that drove a little. I was expecting that that at the dealership they will be very quick to apologize and admit a “mistake” once I raise this point. But I was surprised. When I told him that what I have seen in Carfax he insisted that the car is new (now he said that the car was a demo car- he forgot what he told me in my first visit) and I will be the first owner. He also tried to show me from his computer the Carfax on this car. What I have seen was not what I remembered looking at home. I asked to log in to Carfax with my username. Then I understood that what he showed me was not the report but the web page before that (the one you see if you don’t pay), and got the real report showing that there is a car owner listed on this car already. He looked a little surprised but still insisted that I will be the first owner. This whole thing around this issue lasted for more than half an hour with him going to the manager a few times. I must admit that I was almost convinced that indeed I will get to be the first owner listed, and this is how Carfax shows new cars at dealerships. But at that point he made a “mistake”. At last he came and admitted that the car was already titled and agreed to the fact that I will be listed as second owner. But again we where surprised. He didn’t apologize, he didn’t offer to reduce the price, and he insisted that we don’t use the term “used car” . It was ridiculous. As he looked a bit nervous from the beginning, but at this stage he was almost out of control and so in response to that I couldn’t even bring myself to offer 12.5K for the car (thinking that 13K will be good to me). The atmosphere was too hot and while we said we are waiting for a better offer after this “discovery”, he didn’t want to give us any and said that we didn’t make any counter offer (which was true because we where also a little confused and influenced by all this unexpected behavior). I decided to go because I didn’t feel like paying them even 13K after this experience. At the dealership they didn’t stop us. Probably they understood they can’t fool us. We stopped later in Scion dealership. I got a completely different and good impression on the way they work. Sadly, I will probably buy an imported car. I really wanted to buy American car.

Hope my few lessons will help other buyers. I think the most important thing is that when you get an offer in a dealership, you have to check every piece of information by yourselves and not trust the dealership. You also have to calculate and see if other options added are really worth anything. Another suggestion is always to go with at least one friend (someone that knows a little how to negotiate or at least how to ask good questions). This is very important. It brings more pressure on the dealer and less on the buyer.
  • ysy3ysy3 Posts: 2
    Hey everyone, I'm considering buying a new 2008 Ford Focus. It seems like it's a good value for the money, but I wanted to see if anyone knows of any glaring reasons I should steer clear. I started out looking for a small car with good gas mileage that I could also carry my drums in. I'd been looking at used Corollas and Civics but I have to say with their high resale value they just seem too expensive. I feel like I can get a new Focus for the price of a used Honda. One thing I'm concerned about is that I'm used to driving an SUV and having the ability to haul stuff around, and I'm afraid of losing that capability, but I'm willing to give it up to get into something smaller. I've considered a few hatchbacks (Vibes, Matrixes, Subarus etc.), which would allow me more space, but I feel like they're out of my price range. I like the Honda Fit too but I think it's too small of a car for me. Anyhow, after much deliberation I've settled in on the Focus and wanted to ask for opinions. Thanks for any feedback you may have!
    A new 19000 mazda 3 hatch will run about 16700-17000 new. The sedan a bit less.The Fit automatic with options is about 17000 and a civic lx a bit more. A 08 18000 focus ses should sell for around 14000. There are no more hatches in the focus so the drums are difficult. Did you try to fit them in?

The dodge caliber is a 4 dr hatch. A well equipped 18500 msrp should be about 14500.,The PT cruiser has a huge hatch and 4 drs.It looks like it was built for drums. It should run around 13000-14000 in the 18000 msrp price range. Dodge also has the lifetime powertrain warranty. Prices get lower for less well equipped models. You may be able to get a $20000 08 ford escape 2wd or mazda tribute with power for $14000-15000, so that may be a consideration also.

The quality for the american names is about the same so its the convenience and what you need that is relevant.

Good luck
    --jjf
  • ysy3ysy3 Posts: 2
    Ok, thanks for the info and the advice. I am going to try to fit the drums in today. I like the Focus as a sedan for the value but I'm having reservations about it's cargo capacity. I think I will look at a few more hatchbacks before I make a decision...

Thanks for your help!
  • Hi all,
    I am looking at the Ford Focus SE 2008. I was wondering how much negotiating could be done to get closer to invoice price.
    Harmony
    Read my previous message on the prices of autos. A civic lx is around 17xxx. (around invoice+) A focus is no civic and has sold for about 4500-5500 off msrp for years (lots under invoice). The cheapie $14500 stripper models have had a few loss leaders sold every month for $6000-7000 from msrp. Even an expensive 19000 focus is barely worth 12xxx used wholesale after about a year so you want that much off.

Good Luck
    --jjf

Hi all,
    I am looking at the Ford Focus SE 2008. I was wondering how much negotiating could be done to get closer to invoice price.
    Thanks
  • bigbutrbigbutr Posts: 111
    I've been out test driving cars to replace my reliable and paid for 1996 Chevy Beretta and went by the local Ford place to check out the Focus and Fusion. I haven't been on a Ford lot in quite a while, but I have been at nearly every other brand, so I was a bit taken aback to find a $60 sticker charge for a spare tire on both the Focus and Fusion. Is this what is has come to, charging for a spare? :confuse:
    I didn't ask, but I'm assuming this is for a full-size spare since there's no way a donut could cost that much.
    I'm going back on Monday to drive the Fusion. While it's not really on my short list, I do want to see how it rides. I will say I nearly passed out when I saw an 08 Taurus Limited stickering for 32,700. :surprise: My how times have changed.
    You will also find charges of $100+ for floor mats, $80 for chrome exhaust tips etc. It doesn't matter what they choose to itemize or include as it is the cost out the door that matters. The higher end Crown Victoria stickers around $32000, but they are lucky to move them for $18000, so take MSRP for what its worth also.
    Look up the car 1 yr old used 07 on kbb.com or edmunds.com/ The wholesale price of thousands of your car at auction after 12 months and 15000 mi should give a good indication of how close to reality MSRP is.

Good luck
    --jjf

I've been out test driving cars to replace my reliable and paid for 1996 Chevy Beretta and went by the local Ford place to check out the Focus and Fusion. I haven't been on a Ford lot in quite a while, but I have been at nearly every other brand, so I was a bit taken aback to find a $60 sticker charge for a spare tire on both the Focus and Fusion. Is this what is has come to, charging for a spare?
    I didn't ask, but I'm assuming this is for a full-size spare since there's no way a donut could cost that much.
    I'm going back on Monday to drive the Fusion. While it's not really on my short list, I do want to see how it rides. I will say I nearly passed out when I saw an 08 Taurus Limited stickering for 32,700. My how times have changed.