Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Focus Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jfritschjfritsch Posts: 958
    Page along and check out my other messages on this forum.
    Even the most expensive Focus will wholesale for barely 12000 in a year, most for about 10000 from the consumer books. Based on this you want about 5000 off.

I've seen numerous ads for the base type model for 6000-7000 off MSRP. These have been teaser ads with only 1-3 cars available at that price. How successful people are at getting 6000+ off the loaded models, I don't know but I would certainly try emailing 20+ ford dealers for their best price end of the month with my cell # included and see how far I could push it, especially if I was flexible on model and color.

Its a good choice, at 5000+ off MSRP, and probably better than the Cobalt or chev Aveo. Doesn't it still have the 60000 powertrain warranty?

--jjf

Any thoughts on what to offer in the Houston area? I've seen a couple of places advertise 5,000 to 5,500 off which includes the 2,500 rebate. How far can one push it?

1. 4 door SES, options are: automatic, leather bucket seats, and safety package (ABS and side airbags) MSRP 18,035

2. SES wagon, options are: automatic, safety package, 6 disc CD player MSRP 19,575

Thanks for any advice.
  • chetjchetj Posts: 324
    i love my 2007 focus...i am 6 -3 and it has plenty of headroom...it also has a 100k powertrain extended service contract..top that civic and corolla....car dealers dont make a lot of money on new focuses and cobalts so there is not a lot of room for discount...unless you let them screw you on trade in
  • jbaaronjbaaron Posts: 4
    Vehicle Description
    FOCUS 2007 4-DOOR SES
    2.0L DOHC ENGINE
    AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE
    Exterior - LIQUID GREY CC METALLIC
    Interior - CHARCOAL/LT FLINT TRIM CLOTH BUCKET SEATS

Standard Equipment INCLUDED AT NO EXTRA CHARGE

EXTERIOR
    . 16" ALLOY WHEELS
    . P205/50R16 TIRES
    . BODY SIDE MOLDINGS
    . DUAL POWER MIRRORS
    . VARIABLE INTERVAL WIPERS
    . REAR WINDOW DEFROSTER
    . SOLAR TINTED GLASS
    . FRONT FOG LAMPS

INTERIOR
    . AIR CONDITIONING
    . AM/FM STEREO SINGLE CD/MP3
    . MANUAL SEAT HEIGHT ADJUST
    . 60/40 SPLIT FOLD REAR SEAT
    . CONSOLE W/ 3 CUPHOLDERS & DRIVER ARMREST/STORAGE
    . FRONT MAP/READING LIGHTS
    . TILT/TELESCOPING LEATHER

WRAPPED STEERING WHEEL
    . TACHOMETER
    . INTERIOR TRUNK RELEASE

FUNCTIONAL
    . 100,000 MILE TUNE-UP INT.
    . FRONT WHEEL DRIVE
    . FRONT/REAR IND SUSPENSION
    . FRT DISC/REAR DRUM BRAKES
    . POWER RACK PINION STEERING
    . POWER WINDOWS/LOCKS
    . SPEED CONTROL

SAFETY/SECURITY
    . DRIVER/PASSENGER AIR BAGS
    . OCCUPNT CLASSIFICATION SYS
    . ADJ HEIGHT FRT SEAT BELTS
    . CHILD SAFETY REAR DR LOCKS
    . SECURILOCK/PASS ANTITHEFT
    . LOW FUEL WARNING LIGHT
    . REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY

WARRANTY
    . 24 HR ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE
    . 3 YR/36,000 MILES

Price Information MSRP
    STANDARD VEHICLE PRICE $15,775.00
    Key Standard Equipment
    ORDER CODE 420A - 4DR SES
    SPOILER
    POWER SIDE WINDOWS
    CONVENIENCE GROUP
    INTEGRATED FOG LAMPS
    CFC-FREE AIR CONDITIONING
    16" ALLOY WHEELS

Optional Equipment
    2007 MODEL YEAR
    LIQUID GREY CC METALLIC
    CHARCOAL/LIGHT FLINT CLOTH
    .2.0L DOHC ENGINE

AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE $815.00
    .P205/50R16 BSW TIRES

WEATHER PACKAGE $175.00
    .HEATED SEATS
    .POWER HEATED MIRRORS

PERIMETER ALARM $125.00

50 STATE EMISSIONS

6-DISC IN-DASH W/MP3 PLAYER $370.00
    .DUPLICATE RADIO CONTROLS

WINDOWS
    .TINTED $299.99

TOTAL VEHICLE & OPTIONS $17,260.00
    DESTINATION & DELIVERY $570.00
    TOTAL MSRP $18,129.00

THE DEAL (Break Down)
    Negotiated -($3000.00) off MSRP
    State Sales Tax $789.31
    Federal Luxury Tax $0.00
    Dealer's Inventory Tax $33.25
    License Fee 77.30
    Title Fee $33.00
    State Inspection Fee $23.75
    Documentary Fee $50.00
    Consumer Service Fee $0.00

Total $16135.61
    Rebate -($2500.00)

Total $13635.61

Easy Breakdown
    MSRP $18129.00
    Negotaited / Rebate ($5500.00)
    TT&L + Fees $1006.61
    Total $13635.61

I purchased in Houston, TX. I hope this helps someone.
  • delcorbettdelcorbett Posts: 11
    I am in the market for a can and I got a quote on a New 2007 Ford Focus ZX3 S with A/C for 13,499 OTD, I know the invoice for this car is 12,977 plus 791 for the A/C so thats 13768 right there, and the there would be destination charge, tax title, registration, and what ever else they try to stick you with. I really wanted it in yellow and this one is silver. It's not a deal breaker as I only like how it looks in yellow. So what do you all think? 13,5 OTD?
    We don't know what your state is so taxes can vary from 300-1000 dollars.

These vehicles sell at steep discounts, especially the S models. If you look up an SE you will see at least msrp wise, you get power options and Air conditioning for aoubr 1200 more. You want a minimum of 5500 off MSRP. I've seen the base models advertised (teaser ads) for 6000-7000 off. Look up on kbb.com what a used 06 with 16000 miles wholesales for. Probably about $9500. $3000 dollars 1st year is too much to eat for a car in this price range.

Yellow is hard to get and you may have to pay more to get it. You will need 10-20 competing quotes from email end of month (or possibly now before july 4-9) to beat the dealer with the yellow over the head with. Get quotes on the SE also and see what the market looks like 100 miles around your home.

I am in the market for a can and I got a quote on a New 2007 Ford Focus ZX3 S with A/C for 13,499 OTD, I know the invoice for this car is 12,977 plus 791 for the A/C so thats 13768 right there, and the there would be destination charge, tax title, registration, and what ever else they try to stick you with. I really wanted it in yellow and this one is silver. It's not a deal breaker as I only like how it looks in yellow. So what do you all think? 13,5 OTD?
    delcorbett,

I don't know what state and what you're specifically wanting when it comes to options/features. If you could provide at least your state and what you would like to have in the Focus ZX3 S that would be very helpful. Also, do you have a lot of Ford dealers near you? If so, roughly how many? I'm willing to help you but I would need this information to better understand the market you live in so I can help you save some money.

I've exhausted myself by do a lot of reading, researching, and dealer hopping but when it was over, it was worth the 5500.00 in savings.

For the price you're mentioning, you should be walking OTD with an SES and several options. Based on just the Specs you're providing, I wouldn't buy the car until I got the ZX3 S anywhere between 9K to 10K. It can be done.

Shoot me an email and I do what I can to help you out because I hate to see people get raped by big corporations.
    Also check out the Chevy malibu as I've seen numerous ads for the 4cyl 17800 Ls for 13000ish. It is much more sedan than the Focus (drive it) but with no manual available.

Unfortunately, the big corporations are always under the spotlite and image conscious. Most of the trouble and rape you get are with Bob's Ford of Tuscaloosa and God knows whatever else small operator the State Attorney general is aware of.

Good Luck
    --jjf

Shoot me an email and I do what I can to help you out because I hate to see people get raped by big corporations.
    I live in Miami Florida, Cuba 2. I do Have a few within driving distance. I think Maroone, Gus Machado, and a few others, Maybe a world Ford something. It is a 2007 Ford Focus ZX3 S with option 572, manual Air Conditioning. Thats all it had and thats all I wanted. Color does not matter but this one is cd silver. I have see ad's for teaser cars in the local papers for about 9899 or around there for base s models with AC, So it perked my interest. I also qualify for the ford x-plan but every time I mention that, the dealers seem to stop all negotiating. Stupid prearranged price. I know I can haggle a better price then the x-plan. I was also looking at a chevy cobalt, new 07 ls with am/fm/cd and ac, manual for 12,500 out the door with my gm supplier price. I know this is a focus forum but i am between those 2. Which ever dealer bites the negotiating hand and draws blood wins.
    I don't know what your timeline is but august-sept is bound to be a shooting gallery for these cars. Do try 10-20 chevy dealers via email before july 6 or end of month for 13ish on a chevy malibu ls 4 cyl base before a Cobalt. Lots more car for the money. I've seen 12800 prices for GM supplier folks. Possibly 15-16000ish for the V6LT model.

Good Luck
    --jjf

I live in Miami Florida, Cuba 2. I do Have a few within driving distance. I think Maroone, Gus Machado, and a few others, Maybe a world Ford something. It is a 2007 Ford Focus ZX3 S with option 572, manual Air Conditioning. Thats all it had and thats all I wanted. Color does not matter but this one is cd silver. I have see ad's for teaser cars in the local papers for about 9899 or around there for base s models with AC, So it perked my interest. I also qualify for the ford x-plan but every time I mention that, the dealers seem to stop all negotiating. Stupid prearranged price. I know I can haggle a better price then the x-plan. I was also looking at a chevy cobalt, new 07 ls with am/fm/cd and ac, manual for 12,500 out the door with my gm supplier price. I know this is a focus forum but i am between those 2. Which ever dealer bites the negotiating hand and draws blood wins.
    I have a dealer down here in miami telling me for a 2007 Focus SE with Auto for 12223 Out the door. I am thinking of jumping on this. Any advice?
    jfritsch,

What does the window sticker list for options/features and what's the MSRP? Depending on what it says, I'll tell you what I think. The options/features are on the right side of the windows sticker. One thing to note, if it comes with the safety package for $750.00 dollars then make sure you see a discount of -$400.00 off the MSRP on the bottom right side of the window sticker. I noticed one dealer that did not show this discount and it's very disturbing. Also, are you going to have a trade in? If so, what's the make, model, year, options/features, current mileage, and the condition of the trade in (excellent, good, fair, or poor)?

One other thing, when you say OTD, does that include TT&L?
    The only options is the auto trans which he charged 815 the msrp price for, not 791, invoice price of option. Destination charge is 620 as per edmunds.com, but he charged 595, the MRSP he maid up is 16180 including auto and destination. The final otd price is 12,223 or so it claims. This dealer is probabley low balling me the price and when I get there it will be gone. So will if they try that crud.
    These vehicles are regularly advertised for about 5000-6000 off MSRP. An MSRP $18500 SES wholesales used under $12000 after year 1. The low end S models are frequently in teaser ads selling for 6000-7000 off.

Get a big discount, as the MSRP is fantasy.

Good luck
    --jjf
    After researching the Focus SE / SES, I selected the options/features I needed (Auto, Perimeter Alarm, etc.) Living in Houston played a big part in the options/features I needed. Since it hot/humid, traffic sucks, and car thieves, I needed A/C, Auto, Alarm, etc.). I wanted the Convenience Group and Safety Package since I spend roughly 3 hours commuting everyday to and from work. I was flexible on several colors but not on the interior because I personally think the Pebble would easily show dirt or stains.

Now, finding the car I wanted at the price I was willing to pay ($5000 to $6000 off MSRP) was the hard part. I kept finding the exterior and interior colors I wanted but the options/features I needed were not all there. On the same token, I found the options/features I needed but like I said, I really didn’t like a car that was Kiwi green or one with the Pebble interior. The hardest part was getting the dealer that had the car you wanted at the price you were willing to pay.

This is when I decided to go with the SES since I made it easier to get what I needed and wanted but it was running about $800 to $1000 dollars more. This was okay because it kept me in about the same price range because it came with some of the options I needed or wanted. I was flexible with the other options/features but only if it kept the car in the price range I was willing to pay for it. The options/features I’m referring to are the expensive interior and exterior packages. By choosing this route, it provided me with more dealers to negotiate with.

I finally found the car I wanted and the dealer was willing to negotiate because as they say they are ready to move the car for newer model coming in. I pushed really hard for $6000 (includes $2500 Ford rebate) off the MSRP. I played the game and worked my way down slowly and when I hit $5500 mark, I said we’re either going to make a deal at this price or I’m going to another dealer because I don’t want to waste anymore of my time. He said it’s a deal and sold it to me.

In the end, I got my favorite exterior and interior colors and all the options/features I wanted except for the Safety Package, which is okay. I still got 2 airbags and since the car is very light, I could live without the ABS brakes. For a heavier car or truck, I would have definitely needed ABS braking but I was flexible with this. I did end up with the 6-DISC in-dash w/MP3 player, tinted windows, and the weather package, which I really needed down here in Houston.

SO, I AGREE! The MSRP on any vehicle is a FANTASY PRICE! On the Focus, I would not buy it unless you’re getting $5000 to $6000 off MSRP. I really wanted $6000 off but I settled for $5500 off and I would have not gone any lower. I personally think it’s best to flat out tell the dealer that this is the most you will pay for it once you reach the point during negotiating and if they don’t like it then leave. After all, it’s your money you’re talking about.

Also, I would like to point out that you have the option of a $2500 rebate or 0% percent financing but not both on the Ford Focus when you finance through Ford. I know they will give you both on specific but more expensive cars, SUV’s or trucks. Either way, you have to go through FMCC and if you take the $2500 rebate, you’re subject to Ford financing at a higher rate and it will not be 0% percent. After they checked my credit, I fell into Fords Tier 1 financing, which means it’s their best category and it was 8.99% percent. After all, they have to find a way to recoup the rebate money. I did question it because I wanted to finance it through my bank or just pay it in full. The dealership showed me the document that outlined the terms and conditions for both the rebate and 0% percent financing. Well, it was there so I asked if I could pay it off early without any penalties and they said yes. They showed me the financing contract I had to sign and it stated there were no penalties for early payoff. Well, I decided that I would pay it off after the first payment by taking a loan against my 401K plan. After all, if your going to pay finance charges, you might as well pay yourself the finance charges but at 3.99% percent. I hope this helps.
  • lablover2lablover2 Posts: 106
    found a kiwi green auto trans which listed for $17,690 with destination-just got a dealer price of $13,683 which includes the $2500 rebate-i think that is way too high, am i right?
    base price 14825
    auto- 815
    sport group 475
    moonroof 625
    amb. lighting295
    colored body 60

dest 595
    msrp 17690
    rebate 2500
    invoice 16,683
    dealer disc 500 ?

shouldn't at least another $1,000 come off of their price?
    Yes, you want about 5000-6000 off these machines. A 17xxx Focus wholesales used for 10k in 12 months.

Good Luck
    --jjf

found a kiwi green auto trans which listed for $17,690 with destination-just got a dealer price of $13,683 which includes the $2500 rebate-i think that is way too high, am i right?
    base price 14825
    auto- 815
    sport group 475
    moonroof 625
    amb. lighting295
    colored body 60

dest 595
    msrp 17690
    rebate 2500
    invoice 16,683
    dealer disc 500 ?

shouldn't at least another $1,000 come off of their price?
  • lablover2lablover2 Posts: 106
    no luck with the dealer-price is the best they can do-and, no other ford dealers have responded for quotes-see why ford is not doing well?
    Hit 20-30 dealers end of month with emails for bids on your model in several colors. SE/SES brown, etc. Out of the 1/2 who respond, work the top 3 against each other. If you only solicited 3-5 bids from the locals (the usual suspects) that may explain your problem.

Unfortunately american car franchisees whether Honda or Ford etc are pretty much the same in tactics etc. The parent american companies problems stem far more from low producivity and a $75/hr labor cost for many folks with hardly a GED. Even outsourcing half a plants business to smaller shops with a $30/hr cost doesn't help.

Good luck
    --jjf

no luck with the dealer-price is the best they can do-and, no other ford dealers have responded for quotes-see why ford is not doing well?
  • wlw2wlw2 Posts: 1
    I went into the Maroone Ford dealership in Margate, FL about 7:00 pm on July 3rd. This is a high volume dealership that is normally exceptionally busy. On this night there were only two customers in the showroom. I wanted to get a Focus for my youngest son.
    We looked at a SE with a sticker price of $16,740. The dealer add-ons kicked the price to around $17,500.
    I offered the salesman 13 K out the door which he declined. It was obviously a slow night as the sales manager then came over when he saw I was done negotiating and said they would take the deal if I took Ford financing (which was high). I took their offer even though I wasn't totally thrilled with the finance rate.
    I'm pretty happy with the deal ($13 K OTD) but think I could have gotten another $500 off the price if I wanted to haggle longer - which I didn't as it was approaching 8:30 pm and I was ready to go.
    Was that the dealership at 16800 57th ave.? I went to that maroone ford wit ha internet price quote in hand, got there, and they switched me between 6 different dealers every time the car they said they had turned out to be "sold". They tryed to pawn a "demo" with almost 3000 miles on it off on me. I got the run around and they kept me waiting for hours, They failed to honor the rules and regulations of the Ford X-plan by not showing me the invoice and x-plan price without first agreeing to a final price first.

When I did, ohh that car was sold. But we have a similar one at similar savings. BS if you ask me. Luis ochoa there internet sales manager was polite in between keeping me waiting for 20 minutes at a time. A gentleman named Richard, with a nigerian accent was very rude and said he would not put options that he promised in writing. It must have been a off day for sales.

They would not even honor there own price quote even on a similarly equipped car. They didn't update there website and the car they said they sold is still mentioned there.

I drove straight to maroone chevy the next day and bought a 07 cobalt. Absolutley not one hassle, in and out in less then a hour with my new wheels.