Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Focus Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jfritschjfritsch Posts: 958
    You're just probably better off getting competitive bids towards the end of the month. Regardless of marketing gimmicks. Most of the rebates state dealer participitation qualifications anyway. (So if you work the lowest or any deal and try to pop that you are a recent college grad in the military with a 750 rebate coupon from a brochure they can just state that the deal they are giving is so good they cannot honor them or only 1)

I'd probably be more excited about 4000 off msrp if the 19000 msrp focus ses and 17000 se didn't wholesale used for $10000-11000 or less in their 07 versions with avg miles.

--jjf
  • bobpinobobpino Posts: 3
    I got 2000 rebate plus 1000 conquest for having a non ford--could not use my 750 private rebate because ford said the 1000 conquest was also a private rebate and can only use one private rebate,
  • matsukesmatsukes Posts: 21
    BOY! somebody lied to you! The $750 coupon clearly states it can be used on top of any other offer! I got all the cash back that you did and when they ran the coupon on the computer Ford took it with no problems!
    I would like to pursue this rebate--anyone know who to contact at Ford?
    My dealer told me they called Ford and they would not give the $750 personal rebate with the 1000 conquest rebate-----
    Your telling me you got it?
    anyone else combine the two?

Maybe I could contact your dealer and see how they did it.
    In general a lot of the rebates state dealer participation may vary. The term "personal rebate" instead of factory rebate already sounds iffy. Many times these are marketing gimmicks. If the other guy got 3000 off msrp plus the 750 rebate and you got 3750 off msrp with their deal and "dealer discounts" you are about the same. (for about a 17000 vehicle) You would have to check with him to find out.

If they sent you the coupon you could always try to contact ford and see what forms to send in for the rebate, but they have been doing rebates for decades and usually have the participation wording exactly right to avoid this sort of thing.
    If the 1000 conquest rebate is not combinable with any other offer they could always take it back in exchange for the 750 and you could pay 250 more if you wish.

Good luck
    --jjf

I would like to pursue this rebate--anyone know who to contact at Ford?
    My dealer told me they called Ford and they would not give the $750 personal rebate with the 1000 conquest rebate-----
    Your telling me you got it?
    anyone else combine the two?

Maybe I could contact your dealer and see how they did it.
    As I said before, The $750.00 coupon clearly states that the $750.00 could be used on top of any and all offers! When I used all my cash incentives they put each one into the Ford Computer and Ford oked all of them in that combination with no hang ups! All Ford dealers use the same computer system and all inquires go to the same place. The only thing I can think of is that your coupon did work but the dealer kept the $750.00 for themselves! Did they keep your coupon or did you get it back? The dealer needs the coupon to get the money from Ford so if they kept the coupon maby they were doing some shady business with your money. If I were you I would check on that closely! I know I would be pissed off if someone stole $750.00 from me!!!! Good luck to you sir and I am sorry about your loss!!!
    It would be interesting to know what cars you bought, the price paid (sans tax and title) with all dealer fees and Msrp.

For factory rebates and others, you sign forms assigning your rebate to them for credit against the purchase price, instead of paying full price and mailing in the rebate yourself. If no signature and someone tries to claim the rebate in your name they would be in deep doo doo with Ford and State Attorney General . With their dealership at stake. Highly unlikely.

If this is a direct from ford rebate there is really nothing in it for the dealership to deny it. Perhaps a mistake was made and you can send it in but this coupon thing doesn't sound like the standard factory rebate.

Good Luck
    --jjf

money. If I were you I would check on that closely! I know I would be pissed off if someone stole $750.00 from me!!!! Good luck to you sir and I am sorry about your loss!!!
    I went with xplan pricing so there were no dealer discounts.
    1000 public ford rebate
    1000 ford finance rebate
    1000 conquest rebate for having a none ford car (this was advertised in paper so should not be considered a PRIVATE OFFER.

ALSO HAD A 750 PRIVATE REBATE supposed to be good on top of any public offers
    and also valid with xplan pricing.

dealer did not keep my 750 coupon, I still have it--tried contacting Ford but they just say contact dealer.
  • eterbyeterby Posts: 1
    So the price you mentioned here are OTD price or price before TTL? Thanks!
    I think 14000 for a Focus SES 08 OTD will be a great deal. Do you know somebody here make it before?
  • shaner429shaner429 Posts: 2
    I am looking to by a used ZX3 or a ZX5. I am wondering what suggestions any of you might have with regard to options to get or things to avoid. Motor...etc. Also, what are the differences between the ZX3, ZX5 and SVT? mileage, suspension and Etc. I am thinking between 2001 and 2005. Really any suggestions are welcome.
  • markus5markus5 Posts: 102
    SVT's are probably dificult to find and as they are primarily an enthusiasts' machine might have be driven hard, Clutch 6 speed tranny and so forth.
    I have an '04 ZTS, which is not as hard nosed as the SVT, and because of the 2.3 motor which is recommended ( was only available for about 2 model years in limited parts of the country) has a still a lot of spunk or torque which continues to surprize. If you get a used model make sure that it has been regularly serviced. Auto trans should have been serviced at 30-40,000
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    At least a 2003 and up; the Duratec motor is better than the Zetec (and has an improved 5 speed); ZX3's were mass produced and should be cheaper than the ZX5's.

An "S" trim with aircon and 5 speed should be your best buy. Avoid the "loaded" SES variants although in the last years of the ZX3 they were the only ones to get a rear sway bar (but the absence of the rear sway bar didn't seem to hurt the S's and SE's).
    Be sure to ask to see the factory sticker that came with the car so you know exactly what the car came with. Try to buy one with a build date after September (most defects appear when the assembly line is just starting back up). Build dates are on a placard usually found on the door frame of the driver's door, but check all the frames and the doors themselves until you find it. Private party price should be private party blue book, dealers will sometimes come close to this pricing instead of the much higher retail blue book. Run carfax, single owner cars are usually worth more than multi owner cars because single owners usually take better care of them (change the oil). Beware of former rentals and especially beware of cars that are coming off, or were, leased, lease cars are driven harder and treated worse than rental cars, which are already abused.
    Also have it smog checked before you buy even if you don't need a smog check to register it. It's the cheapest, fastest way to spot engine problems.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    have it smog checked before you buy

For 1996 and newer cars, this normally consists of plugging the car in and reading any OBD codes, at least that is the case where I live. You can get this done free at many auto parts stores or buy a cheap reader for maybe $20. If seller has reset it to temporarily turn off CEL, I think it will read that it is not ready or pending.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    At a large Ford dealership I came upon an 07 SE 4door automatic Focus for $13,995. This car only had 15,353 miles on it. It was used and Carfax showed 1 private owner and no issues. Title was clean. They even had it serviced at the dealership by thier records. Car was like new. Still had new car smell. After about 2 days of negotiations I was able to get them to sell it to me for $10,600 cash!!. Bought it for my daughter/3rd car for the family. Great basic transportation and thousands less than a Civic or Corolla. ;)
  • At $10,600 you got a Great DEAL.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,013
    A reporter from a large national newspaper is looking to speak to consumers who purchased a used fuel-efficient car and why they decided to purchase it and whether they were surprised at the costs of the vehicle. If you’re interested in speaking to the reporter, please contact Chintan Talati at ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than July 9, 2008.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• mmcm1886mmcm1886 Posts: 2
    Hello,

I want to purchase a 2008 Ford Focus SE with automatic transmission in vermillion red, charcoal black cloth interior with ABS, Sync and Sirius radio.

Thanks for the previous information regarding getting email quotes, I plan on following this advice.
    The standard vehicle price MSRP is $15,585 on this vehicle. The charges for the options that I want in addition are roughly $815 for automatic, $385 for ABS, $395 for Sync, plus $195 for the Sirius.

Could anyone give me an idea of what rock bottom price I should be shooting for on this vehicle including dealer fees?
    A well optioned 08 Focus Ses or equivalent, msrp 18500 or so barely has a trade in value (07) used of 11000. (look up a used 07 on kbb.com) This is what your new 08 will be worth in 12 months. A useful target on a loaded one is about 13000+ or less. A base with auto around 11000 or less. 5000+ off msrp has not been uncommon on the Focus in the late summer for the last few years. At these price levels the Focus may be far more attractive than a Hyundai accent, chev Aveo, kia rio, etc, with good mpg, however no hatchback is available.

If you can't get near 5000 off msrp ( and you should) the mazda3 s touring value editon sedan and its other models then become far more attractive. The mazda6 i sport value editon 4cyl msrp 21200 is frequently available in the low 16s and is good.

Also some have been successful in getting the 09 Hyundai 4cyl sonata (20000 msrp) in the high 15000 range, and the 08 Elantra in the high 12000 range. (usually in CA or NY area). Hyundai has a helluva warranty, these vehicles are higher quality,and should be explored before settling on a Focus unless lots off.

good luck
    --jjf

Hello,

I want to purchase a 2008 Ford Focus SE with automatic transmission in vermillion red, charcoal black cloth interior with ABS, Sync and Sirius radio.

Thanks for the previous information regarding getting email quotes, I plan on following this advice.
    The standard vehicle price MSRP is $15,585 on this vehicle. The charges for the options that I want in addition are roughly $815 for automatic, $385 for ABS, $395 for Sync, plus $195 for the Sirius.

Could anyone give me an idea of what rock bottom price I should be shooting for on this vehicle including dealer fees?
  • mmcm1886mmcm1886 Posts: 2
    Sorry to be redundant, but after looking at the prices in the dealships, this is really surprising, yet wonderful.
    Am I to hope to be able to attain this price of $13,000+ out the door, including all tax, title, destination, fees? I am assumimg this figure also takes into account the $1500 in Ford incentives currently available, or is this in addition?
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    No, he was indicating you could shoot for $5000 +/- off MSRP...that would include destination, but not sales tax or title and license fees, which vary a lot by jurisdiction.
    These are all prices inclluding dealer fees exclusive of tax and title. ttl can vary from 100 to $1600 depending on what state and county you are in.
  • gerrickdgerrickd Posts: 2
    I just bought 2008 focus se sedan for 12998 after ford rebate(s). options are auto,drivers package, sync. black on black. dealer was perry ford poway. I worked backwards. didn't test drive until just before signing final paperwork. got up to leave a few times. I started by asking the salesman if I could get the car for 14K. he said no. I told him I could get a corolla for 15k so a focus would need to be cheaper. this dealer runs a huge ad every friday in the paper. this weeks was a coupe with auto, drivers package, sync, and abs for 11998. I wanted those options in a sedan and didn't really value any other options. the car I bought is missing abs. we sent to the sales manager and I was given the price of 12998. we didn't not talk trade at all until after that price was given. then I got them to give me more for my trade.
  • weihaoweihao Posts: 2
    Is 12998 a OTD price with tax, tags and fees?
    Thanks
  • gerrickdgerrickd Posts: 2
    not OTD price
  • Hello,

I was quoted on a 2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan with Auto Transmission. It has ABS, Sync, Driver's Package, Ambient Lighting, and all the options that come standard with the SE. The dealership said the MRSP on the car is 18,175 but that they would sell it for $15,308. I do not believe this includes taxes but does include the destination charges. Do you think this is a fair price?? I am looking to lease for 36 months, 12,000 miles a year so if anyone knew the residual and money factor on this car that would be great. Thanks!

KNeedsACar
    The 2008 Ford Focus is a wonderfull car! in fact, my wife and I liked it so much we each got a fully loaded "SES"! (SHE DOESN'T LIKE TO SHARE) the fit and finish is great! No squeaks rattles or bangs to be heard. Ford did lie a little about the fuel mileage though.... the 08 Focus is rated at 35MPG but both my wife and I get 38-40MPG on ours!. The heated leather seats are comfy and the upgraded 500 watt Audiophile stereo sounds like a concert hall!. We both traded in our Toyota's to buy the Focus and haven't looked back!. And with the thousands of bucks we saved by not buying a Honda or Toyota , we are going on a 3 week cruse in December to a warm island in the Caribbean! By the way, I raced a kid in a Honda yesterday and left him at the stoplight! you should have seen him sitting there with his mouth hanging open LOL! and, if you go on line on the Ford Focus web sight and request a brosure on the Focus you will find a unadvertised $750.00 coupon in the brosure when you get it in the mail! with that coupon and the cash incentives we got over $4,000 off the price on each car! plus we talked the salesman down even more on the price! We paid $15,237.49 each out the door on our fully loaded top of the line "SES"s price including everything! A GOOD BUY! and just wait until you get to use the new Sync system in the Focus! do you have some fun ahead of you!!!! (HINT) make sure you get the anti lock brakes and traction control option! (safety first!) now hows that for a review?
  • weihaoweihao Posts: 2
    Thanks for sharing. Where did you get this good buy?
    Kunes Country Ford Delavin Wisconsin