Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Prius Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• scottc3scottc3 Posts: 109
    It's there, I looked under Customization in the index, the dealer needs to set this option, but as someone said, I bet there is someone out there who knows how to do this w/o going to the dealer. I beleive it was on page 488.. but it's very near the back of trhe book.

sc
  • I wonder if they've changed the manual. I've got mine in front of me and the customizable features start on page 488 and go to page 490 and there are no options that says anything about auto locking using speed controls.
    options are:
    Smart Key,
    Smart Key system
    Operation Signal (Emergency flashers)
    Operation Signal(Buzzer)
    Wireless remote control
    Unlocking operation
    Time elapsed before automatic door lock function is activated if door is not
    opened after being unlocked
    Operation Indicator(Emergency flashers)
    Operation indicator(buzzer)
    Panic Function
    Buzzer sounds when pushing (lock) with any door not closed
    Door Lock
    Unlocking with a key
    Automatic Light control system
    Light sensor sensitivity
    Time elapsed before headlights automatically turn off after doors are closed
    Daytime running light
    Illumination.
    Time elapsed before lights turn off
    Operation when the doors are unlocked
    Operation after the "POWER" switch turned off
    Fron/rear personal lights turned on when a door is opened

That's it.
  • Page 489 of 2008 manual: "Speed detecting automatic door lock function". The default setting is "off" and can be set to "on".
  • I guess our manuals are different then, as what I wrote above is the exact wording that my manual has on pages 488 through 490, nothing about the "Speed detecting automatic door lock function"

I wonder which one is correct.
  • Well - mine is the 2008 book. What year do you have? If the same year, could be there was a running change or something. :confuse:
  • It's also a 2008 Owner's Manual for the Prius. On the back is publication number OM47613U Part No. 01999-47613, Printed in Japan 01-0803-01

Is yours the touring model? Mine is standard package 2
  • Mine is also Standard Package #2. Base model, not touring.
  • I have taken it to the dealer already, and one of them said it didn't have the particular feature. I was hoping someone out there might know a way around it. There was one guy at the dealer that say they could set it, I'll have to try him next when I go in for my 5k service.

I had look through the manuel and I didn't see page 489 regarding the door lock at speeds.

Thanks for all the help ppl!
  • I saw a fix for that on one of the Prius parts websites. It looked like a simple plug-in and cost under $90. According to the blurb it locks the doors at 15 MPH. Not too bad of an expense if you have small children.
  • whitey9whitey9 Posts: 138
    100lbs is a lot of added weight just for the joy of hauling a bike.
  • maxwell_maxwell_ Posts: 2
    I saw an ad for pulse plugs (made by Pulstar) and was wondering if anyone had any experience with these things. They're suppose to improve fuel efficiency, but they're pretty expensive.

The only discussion I've seen on the internet about them was on muscle car enthusiast forums. They were more concerned about hp gains, hardly mentioned gpm at all.
    I think it was Phineas. T. Barnum who said, "a sucker is born every minute".
    Which goes hand-in-hand with the old proverb, " a fool and his money are soon parted".
    Spark plugs are most probably the least important component in the ignition system. That is, you could use almost ANY brand of spark plug and get almost the same result. Some plugs are different in that they offer resistance to radio interference, or platinum tips for long life.
    But a basic spark plug in the correct heat range will work just as well as a "super duper" spark plug costing X times MORE than a basic OEM plug.
    SAVE YOUR MONEY!
  • maxwell_maxwell_ Posts: 2
    6 days and only one snarky remark.

I think I'm taking this question somewhere else.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    Yea they are great plugs and I think you should buy them. You will get at least another 5 mpg by using them. There are you happy that you heard what you want. :P
    Hey Max, if you WANT to buy 'em, then BUY THEM!
    Just don't expect them to take out the garbage, and fold your clothes.
    They are JUST spark plugs!
    If you are trying to get better mileage then make SURE the tires are properly inflated ( NOT 55psi ), and you by-pass drive thu windows.
    Also, wear your tiny right foot for the accelerator.
    I am not one who thinks everything can be "cured" by taking a "pill". Life is more challenging.
    Sorry for the "snarkyness". As Jack Webb used to say, "just the facts ma'am".
  • This just happened this week I can use my key if I place it into the spot in the car to start it, but if I pull it out or try to start it with it being in my purse(as I usually do) it wont start??i can unlock if i use the unlock botton but i can not lock from just pushing the dot onthe doot handle. anyone know what to do? Does it need to be reprogramed or something??very frustrating!! thanks!!
    cheryl
  • sthogesthoge Posts: 28
    Check the disable switch under the steering column. It's possible the switch got bumped or something and turned off. This disables the sensors for when you aren't going to be using the vehicle for a long time to prevent running the battery down.
  • eric60eric60 Posts: 1
    Have you either found an answer for this, or have found out how to open it yourself? I have a similar problem, although slightly more embarrassing. My panic button is stuck down, and constantly causes my car to enter panic mode. I've also disassembled my key to the point of taking out the battery, but can't figure out how to get any farther than that.

Thanks for any info you may be able to provide!

Eric
  • stevegoldstevegold Posts: 185
    I had a recent problem with my FOB for my 2004 Prius. I live in the Rockies at 8,000 ft. elevation. When driving to Chicago (sea level) the FOB buttons stayed down. I was ready to order a replacement but a day after driving back to Aspen the FOB was again working perfectly.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    Thats funny as I had a problem with my HHR we tow behind our motorhome in Estes Park, Co. Push button to lock door and the lock button on the inside of the door wouldn't go down about half the time all though the door did lock, it worked all the time in Mi. Got back home to Mi. and no more problems. And a year later still going strong.