Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Prius Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• florida_wenflorida_wen Posts: 29
    We will be taking delivery of our new 2007 Prius Touring (package 5) in a couple of days. I want to purchase some “optional accessories” such as rubber floor mats, cargo net, bumper protector, oil filter, oil filter wrench, etc. Obviously the dealer charges quite high prices and I have always had great luck with our Honda / Acura products buying items on the internet. Since this is our first Toyota I need some good pricing, trustworthy, and sort of close to Florida internet dealers that sell GENUINE TOYOTA parts. So far I have found two:

www.toyotapartsstore.com

www.trdparts4u.com

Any others?? Any better selections ?? Thanks………
  • clgerstclgerst Posts: 4
    The easiest solution is to buckle the seatbelt when something heavy is in the seat. That should satisfy the system so it won't have to alert you.
  • mrmellmrmell Posts: 10
    Was wondering if anybody out there has installed aftermarket accessories for Prius, such as roof rack, luggage rack, bicycle rack, aftermarket wheels and tires, and what Mfg was used and degree of your Satisfaction with same.Thanks.
  • stevegoldstevegold Posts: 185
    I bought a 1 1/4" receiver hitch from Coastaletech.com for my 2004 Prius. It came quickly, went on real easy and works perfectly but some people have reported difficulty in dealing with them a few years ago. They now have a 2" model but it's
    probably much heavier.
    http://www.coastaletech.com/04hitch.htm
  • I just imported a 2005 Prius to Oahu, only to discover that the stock navigation system does not provide any map or destination functions. Is there any update on whether Toyota is going to address this problem? Thanks.

Bruce
  • nypriusnyprius Posts: 8
    Try Priuschat.com also ebay motors.
    Hope This Helps
  • akollerakoller Posts: 15
    Hi.

I'm a 6-month Prius owner about to buy a small boat and want to know if anyone can share experience with towing using this car. I have a Package 2, 2007 Prius that's doing great. I don't have concerns about mileage and won't be towing long distances or heavy loads (1,000 pounds max, small boat), and I've found several hitches made specifically for the car, but I wanted to tap the knowledge base here. Any comments much appreciated.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    You're aware that it's "not recommended" by Toyota? It's in the owners manual. There are a few owners who do tow small utility trailers (500 lb or so), and they haven't reported any problems that I've seen. The receiver hitches available were originally made to accept bicycle carriers so some strengthening may be required. One owner who used the 2" one, beefed it up by adding a cross member to it. I think I saw the picture on Priuschat.
    Thanks. Not sure what I will do yet, but the hitches I've seen so far look just like others I've used on cars like the Vibe. Small trailers don't place a great deal of stress on the vehicle unless you are driving in mountainous territory or at high speed, or if you are towing a lot of weight. I'd probably be in the 700 pound range, but I'd be really interested in any experience out there.
  • I have a hitch and have towed construction material with a trailer. I pushed it hard and will never try a stunt like it again when I towed debris in the range of 1400-1700 pounds within the trailer (additional 400 pounds) and the back of the prius about 2 miles to the closest waste management site. Watch for transmission burn. I changed the Automatic transmission fluid at 60-65K miles. I have towed the trailer multiple other times with lighter loads of plywood, sheetrock, etc. The trailer comes to about 400 pounds and I weigh about 150 pounds so "technically" I could safely add 250 pounds worth of material in the trailer.
    Wow, you WERE pushing it for sure. I plan to tow a boat with motor and trailer totaling about 700 pounds tops, including al the gear. When I do that, I won't be pushing for any speed and will keep a close eye on how it handles. Worst case, I guess I'd have to add some kind of second vehicle just to pull a small boat around, and I really don't want to do that, but I also don't want to ruin what I consider one of the best cars I've ever owned.

It helped to have your input; so thanks for making time to reply.

Al Koller
  • An old rule of thumb my grand-pappy once told me was....never pull more than 1/4 to 1/3 the weight of your vehicle. Unfortunitly Toyota does not recommend any towing with the Prius. I personaly think my grand-pappy made sense.
  • I am about to purchase a Prius. Either a 2007 or
    perhaps a 2008. Anyway, I want to find out who has
    installed a pet/dog barrier that actually works with a
    Prius and not hard to install.

Thanks
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 6,088
    If you are a long-term hybrid owner, our Senior Editor, John O'Dell, would love to hear from you! A short email with your maintenance experiences and concerns would be great. Please send to John at jodell@edmunds.com by close of business Wednesday, August 22, 2007. Be sure and include your Forums username.

Need some roadside assistance? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• I have a 2007 Prius with navi. I want to take advantage of the Bluetooth but I only do prepay phones. The pickings are slim for prepay. Is anyone working under the same conditions? My research has provided me with these choices.
    AT&T - Motorola Razr V3, Pantech c3b or Nokia 6201i
    T-Mobile - Motorola V195 or Nokia 6103
  • I have a 2007 Prius and would like to know if anyone knows where I can buy a hood cover (bra) for it? Apparently Toyota doesn't offer one nor did my dealer in Tempe, AZ. Thanks!
    I use a Virgin Mobile Nokia 6275i. It works just fine with the Prius Bluetooth.
  • Thanks for the info. I have Virgin Mobile currently. However in the USA, they do not offer any bluetooth phones such as the Nokia 6275i. Don't know why the offerings are so different.
    Does the Nokia 6275i load the phone book as well as make calls?
    I have a Sony T-608 that does both quite well.
  • Which carrier uses that phone?
    It is an older Sprint phone (limited edition) that I was able to convert to Verizon. The only problem is that it occasionally fails on making the first call of the day. Re dialing always solves that problem until the next time you start the car.
  • Hmmm. How does that conversion process work? I won't use the Verizon pre-paid service because it is too expensive for my needs.
  • jana6jana6 Posts: 17
    Since I do have the navigation system in my Prius (Touring 2007), any comments or suggestions about tinting my windows? I live in NV and would love to better protect the inside but was told I need to be careful about tinting the windows-something about the tint not having metal in it (or something like that).

Thanks
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 6,088
    Metallic tints can interfere with signal reception. Want to be sure you're not going to kill your nav.

Need some roadside assistance? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• I'd seperate the phone from the plan. Find a used bluetooth phone that you like, then pop in the SIM card for your prepaid service. If you ask around, I bet a friend has a last generation phone that will meet your needs. If the phone is not from the same carrier, you can get it unlocked to work with any carrier.
    From other owners postings, the Nav doesn't seem to be affected much by window tinting. If you are worried, and want good tinting as well, go for the "Huber Optik" tint. It's supposed to be a ceramic tint, not metal.
    Or just buy an unlocked phone to start with. Most are GSM units, so that would be AT&T and a few other service providers. Celluloco and others sell lots of different models. Just search on the internet. The Toyota site has a section that advises which are suitable for use with the Prius.
  • I've been hearing about configuring the Prius so that it can supply about 3kw of 120v power to household appliances in the event of a storm outage.

Any takers?
  • Are you for real? The beeping is much more likely to cause distraction. The back up camera is another issue, it works. You can't really be that unable to think. Social workers....
  • OK, you don't buy a prius for creature comforts, but in the 02, the cup holders and center console storage configuration aren't that great. You don't want to take a corner too fast with a hot cup of coffee in either of the cupholders, and the center storage is one big bin, which means you really can't sort anything, it's all in a vertical pile, and then where do you hang the plastic bag you use for trash and put the kleenex box??? Did I say we were a little high maintenance?
    We went to the local parts store looking for one of those aftermarket console things you set in the middle and put stuff in. None of them fit very well.

Has anyone found a good brand? It would be nice not to have stuff on the floor.
This discussion has been closed.