Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Prius: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Sometimes ours does the same thing. Also notice similar characteristic at times when the engine starts and the car is not moving.
  • My 05 does it too. Also, I rode in someone else's 05 and his did it too.
  • vfox1vfox1 Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 Prius. It is considerably different from the 2003 one we have. One difference we've noted is with the cold engine light. Why does the cold engine light come on when the outside temperature is below 37 degrees and stay on after the car has warmed up. Was this light designed by the same person who thought we needed a beep to tell us we are backing up. At least we can turn that off.

vfox1
  • It's not a cold engine light. It is a (somewhat silly, I agree) warning that the road may be slippery due to ice/snow. It is described in your owner's manual.

JeffD
  • I recently had the recall service completed on my '05 Prius. Prior to recall, I consistently averaged 44-45 mpg. I'm now averaging 40-41 mpg. Has anyone else experience a drop in gas mileage after the recall?
  • I purchased a 2003 Prius new. Have been please up to this point. I made it through the last Wisconsin winter without any problems. Not so this year. The first snow fall/sub 20 degree weather, I started the car and was driving. When I let off the gas their was a noticeable jerk (not the driver) to the car. A short time later the warning lights went on and only the electric motor would work. Restarted a few time to no avail. I let it sit over night (in the cold) and tried again the next day with the same problem. I got it towed to the dealer and they said the computer diagnosed a problem with the throttle body. They suggested cleaning (cheaper option) it up and going from there. I agreed and the problem seemed to be cured for about a week when I was driving in similar weather and the same thing occurred. I parked it in a heated garage and go it up and running (with all the warning lights still on) and drove it back to the dealer. They now suggest to replace the throttle body, since cleaning it didn't work. They checked with "Toyota" headquarters. They did an experiment with a bag of ice and came up with no other suggestions but to replace the throttle body. They have never had this happen before and found no similar situations. It worked Ok for that week, but the weather was better/warmer. Any suggestions?

This is a nice site, and I am feeling apathy with the people that have lost confidence in their Prius. I've been "lucky" that this problem has occurred close to someone's house. I fear the day it happens in a sub zero day in the middle of no where.

My suggestions on the gas mileage. I had my tires replaced and my mileage went way down. We did some investigating and noticed the original tires had a side wall rating of 50 psi compared to the suggested 35 psi. We put 50's back on and it's back to normal. (Ok but not great in the snow) Plus you have to use the cars strengths. Coast down hill (with your foot slightly on the gas so it doesn't go into regeneration mode), take alternative routes that have lesser speed limits than the interstate and use the heater/AC sparingly.

Sorry about the lengthy posting
    Thanks
  • I've got a black, 2002 Prius with 30,000 miles on it. I'm thinking about getting a new car, possibly another Prius. But I've got a problem. The car has a bunch of dents and scratches that have rusted. I just went to a great body shop near my house fror an estimate. They told me it would cost 3800 dollars to fix everything. I can't decide whether to go ahead and do the work or forget it. Would love some advice. Fix? Or pass? Thanks. Jay
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,899
    pass, will not add that much to selling price.
  • went on a 2 week vacation , needed a jump start whe n i returned, its 2 weeks later the battery is not turning again, i tried to jump start AND A LOUD NOISE from the horn came on for minutes until i took off the cables . any1 have any in put the panels are dark . no inkling of any energy anywhere. hoping 4 sage advice bob
  • mof1mof1 Posts: 6
    I have a 05 Prius and when i am stopped with car running at a drive thru or one time leaving a concert in stop and go traffic my battery has gone down to only one bar left. Has anyone had this happen and what happens if your battery drains to no bars????
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    Nothing happens - that's why the gasoline engine is the primary motive force. It just means you won't have the extra umph from the electric side until it gets back in the green. Most folks who have encountered this have had it occur only on long upgrades at full throttle, but the point is that the car is NOT primarily an electric vehicle - it IS primarily a conventional internal-combustion driven car, after all....
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,784
    "It just means you won't have the extra umph from the electric side until it gets back in the green. "

Always remembering that the Prius will not run at all if the battery is below 20%. The software is supposed to keep it above this level.
  • jrottjrott Posts: 1
    I had the recall done on my prius in november. I filled my gas tank after I left the dealer. I immediately went from 42-43 mpg to 35- 38 mpg. I am very disappointed with this car. I wouldn't have bought this car had I known I would get such lousy mileage for the privilege of paying 6000.00
    more than a Corolla which gets about the same mileage. I would like to hear from other people who have had the recall done to reprogram the ECU.
  • I sat for 2 hours learning the computer, phone, GPS and other accessories in the IG-ON mod which drain the battery to one bar. So, I drove to the store and by the time I was back home I had all the bar's back but one. 10 minutes around trip. The manual says the car will not charge in neutral.
  • My best of 3 tank fulls is 48mpg (mostly freeway). I calculate when I fill the tank not as I am driving. The light is explained in the owners manual. Red is the IG-ON mode. One up from accessories only. To avoid this only press the button with your foot on the brake.
  • I have been trying to find out how to turn the beeping off. How did you do it? The dealer won't help. Safety reasons.
  • FYI: My 2005 Prius fell victim to N. Calif's recent flooding. Result: The electrical system, harnessing & connections were compromised & point to on-going, chronic problems due to corrosion. As a result, my insurance company just declared it a total loss.

Granted any car that is flooded may be a total loss, but for me the bottom line is: as much as I like the (fair weather) mileage (definitely suffers in colder weather), the Hybrid technology is still vulnerable, and I won't be getting another one right away. My only hope now is that my Prius held its value & it's worth more than I owe ~ :sick:

Happy Motoring Prius owners - it was fun while it lasted!
  • I have been trying to find out how to turn the beeping off. How did you do it? The dealer won't help. Safety reasons.

I'd like to know too. Wasn't mentioned in the owner's guide. Starting to get self conscious every time I back out of a parking space. Thanks in advance.
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    if you were to google:
    +prius +beeping +reverse

i'm sure you'd find hits that address disabling this safety function.

the issue is, is this a good thing or a bad thing?

i presume the warning exists to make sure you are attentive to the fact that the drivetrain is engaged, perhaps because the engine is quiet and you have good cabin insulation from the engine compartment.

if i owned one of these cars, i think i'd leave it enabled. i spend perhaps 0.1% of my driving time each day in reverse.

anyway, if someone outside the vehicle could hear it (?) and cause them to look, that would be safer, and also might get more people to take notice of an advanced technology vehicle.
  • cro1cro1 Posts: 1
    Has anyone had success playing their iPod in a late model Prius with an FM transmitter or a car stereo interface? I have an 05 Prius that was manufactured around June 05 and an iPod nano. I can't get my FM transmitter (made by monster cable) to work.
  • Actually, I found the answer in the Prius forums right here, under the "Prius Owners: Accessories & Modifications" thread:

vmccaul, "Toyota Prius Owners: Accessories & Modifications" #30, 1 May 2005 11:44 am

the issue is, is this a good thing or a bad thing?

i presume the warning exists to make sure you are attentive to the fact that the drivetrain is engaged, perhaps because the engine is quiet and you have good cabin insulation from the engine compartment.

No, there's a gear indicator on the dash that tells you what gear you're currently in, like many other automatic trans. cars. If I'm the one driving and not know which gear I've selected, then I've got serious problems. If the car makes it hard to tell, then *it* has issues.

anyway, if someone outside the vehicle could hear it (?) and cause them to look, that would be safer, and also might get more people to take notice of an advanced technology vehicle.

I think the beeping is there for the same reason dump trucks have them, to compensate for rear view blind spots.
    Now the Prius's rear blindspot is nowhere as bad as that of a dump truck and I want my car to be noticed for its unique styling, not because it reminds people around me of construction sites.

Toyota did so many things right on this car, but they've really screwed up on this one reverse beeping thing. First, was leaving it on by default. Second, they made it so ridiculously convoluted to toggle it on or off. (Read the link above and you'll know what I mean). This pretty much ensures once I manage to turn it off, I would not likely turn it back on again. So the few times when I might actually want it on, such as in a crowded shopping center parking garage during Christmas shopping season, I won't have it available. *Grumble* :(
  • I am new to this forum and way of communicating so please bear with me. I have a 2002 Prius that has been in the shop numerous times. the expense of repairs has greatly offset any savings I was getting on gas. I just recently reviewed my repair record and discovered that in May/June 2004 I had strut mount front suspension replaced and electric link assembly replaced. there was no charge at that time. Then in July/Aug of 05 I was buying shock absorber and same support front suspension parts Is this right?! I just realized this and will bring to dealers attention but should this part of the car go bad so quickly and so often? I have had other problems also and am just now having to replace fuel tank and a relay and computer. A warning signal and check engine light came on so I brought car straight to dealer. The fuel tank is not covered so I am paying for this in spite of the fact that I am not convinced that anything is wrong with fuel tank. Mechanic says that is what is recommended. Obviously I am not knowledgeable about cars so I go with mechanics recs. There is less than 40,000 miles on this car.
  • b767b767 Posts: 6
    So the few times when I might actually want it on, such as in a crowded shopping center parking garage during Christmas shopping season, I won't have it available.
    May I point out that the beeping is not heard on the outside, shoppers wouldn't hear anything anyway.
  • May I point out that the beeping is not heard on the outside, shoppers wouldn't hear anything anyway.

Serious? Then it's useless on TOP of annoying.
    What was Toyota thinking? :P
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,564
    I just finished polling three major dealers in the San Francisco area and they report customers' MPG from 28.5 to 54.5. That average out at 41.5, which is just about what all the long term tests have come out to in the major auto mags. So you're only about 8% off a very large database average. Maybe a few more pounds of air in the tires could fix that.

If it's any consolation, your Prius is to be admired not so much for fuel mileage but the lack of emissions. Regardless of whether the Corolla can come close to your fuel mileage, it will never come even remotely close to being as clean-burning and environmentally friendly.

• I have a 2005 Prius and like the car very much, but I am getting rid of it. On December 9th, we got a snow storm, and there were about 4-5 inches on the ground at the time. I was trying to get up a hill on a road that hadn't been plowed. When I was about 3/4 of the way up, the slip indicator icon came on, and the car would not move. There was NO power. I backed down the hill and tried again, but had the same result. As soon as the front wheels started to spin, this indicator came on, and there was absolutely NO acceleration, even with my foot to the floor. I had to abandon the car and borrow a friend's 4 wheel drive vehicle. Subsequently, I spoke to my dealer, who said the car was designed to do that as a safety measure. Toyota Corporate said the same thing- that the engines were supposed to shut down, so the electric motor wouldn't burn out. It was suggested that I get snow tires (which wouldn't help in that type of situation) or chains (totally impractical). In my mind, this is a real hazard. If I had been on a highway going up a hill and I lost all power, I'd be in real danger of getting clobbered. In my opinion, there should be a way to switch over to the gas engine for power in this kind of situation. To have no power at all is ridiculous. Has anyone had a similar experience?
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,899
    Has anyone had a similar experience?

A poster last winter in New England said the same thing happened to him. He just parks his Prius in the winter and drives his SUV. I think the problem is the skid control won't let the wheels spin. I'm sure there are others that drive their Prius in the snow. Not many have complained.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,784
    "I spoke to my dealer, who said the car was designed to do that as a safety measure. Toyota Corporate said the same thing- that the engines were supposed to shut down, so the electric motor wouldn't burn out."

Yup, it is even more interesting for the HH and RX400H owners with AWD. The rear electric motors will stop functioning if they get too hot, which is why those vehicles are not really meant for off-roading.

Just out of curiosity, wasn't the ICE motor still driving the wheels?
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    Put snow tires on the car in the winter, and go anywhere. The OEM Goodyears are useless in any kind of snow. Get a tire/wheel package from Tire Rack or one of the others who offer same, and enjoy the car year round.
  • jonpnjjonpnj Posts: 52
    Had those integrity tires on a Lexus I once owned. Useless. I met someone in m office who said he has a 05 leftover Prius that he put different tires on (not sure which). He said it is awesome in the snow. Tires mean everything
This discussion has been closed.