Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

General Lease Payment Questions, PLEASE HELP!

bfdengine5bfdengine5 Member Posts: 2
edited February 2016 in Ram
Good evening all!

I have a few questions about leasing. I have never leased a vehicle before, only owned used vehicles. My questions are as follow:

Is it possible to lease a vehicle for a ridiculously low monthly payment (ie, $25/month)? I ask this because I think it would be a good idea to put a large down payment on a lease if I planned on buying it out at the end of the lease (rather financing it out). Here is my logic: Pay minimal monthly lease payments for 24mo or 36mo, vehicle value will depreciate over the 2-3yrs, end of lease price will be substantially lower than brand new price, finance for 3 years for a lower monthly payment than if I were to finance outright for 72 months.

Also, is it possible to negotiate the overall price of the vehicle down if I "custom order" a brand new vehicle from the factory.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,289

Good evening all!

I have a few questions about leasing. I have never leased a vehicle before, only owned used vehicles. My questions are as follow:

Is it possible to lease a vehicle for a ridiculously low monthly payment (ie, $25/month)? I ask this because I think it would be a good idea to put a large down payment on a lease if I planned on buying it out at the end of the lease (rather financing it out). Here is my logic: Pay minimal monthly lease payments for 24mo or 36mo, vehicle value will depreciate over the 2-3yrs, end of lease price will be substantially lower than brand new price, finance for 3 years for a lower monthly payment than if I were to finance outright for 72 months.

Also, is it possible to negotiate the overall price of the vehicle down if I "custom order" a brand new vehicle from the factory.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

If your intention is to keep the vehicle a long time, simply buy it outright from the start.

Putting a down payment on a lease is a bad idea; if the car is stolen or totaled before the end of the lease, you lose that money.

There are costs associated with a lease that you won't have with a purchase, too.

Yes, you can negotiate the selling price on an ordered vehicle if it is custom ordered.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4