Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• pinkfloyd999pinkfloyd999 Member Posts: 6
    Can anyone help with the keyless config?
    Instructions in the manual say to put the key in the ignition, turn to RUN (no 'RUN' on the ignition), then press the desired setting (1 or 2) then adjust if necessary and press SET 1 or 2 then press an the lock button on the key within 10 seconds.
    Repeat for the second key.
    Doesn't appear to be working for me...it seems to be stuck on the setting for the 2nd driver key even when the car is unlocked with the first. Have to manually press the 1 button :-(

Tony.
  • michaelg1michaelg1 Member Posts: 18
    Can't seem to figure out the new automatic, rain-sensitive wipers. Do I turn the stalk all the way on and leave it there or in some other position? I do have it programmed on the screen for the "on" position.
  • dennisdennis Member Posts: 50
    No problems at all, 3500 miles.
  • bjsohiobjsohio Member Posts: 69
    Simply turn the indicator off of the empty circle symbol. The wipers will swipe once, then wait for rain. They speed up and slow down as needed when it's raining. I didn't read the manual on this, but it seems that the further you turn the indicator, the more sensitive they become. Great feature!!
  • rdecker1rdecker1 Member Posts: 2
    Purchased my new 300C Memorial Weekend, it now has 5500 miles on it and I am absolutely loving this car!!!! No major problems like I have seen on this board. (I better find a piece of wood to knock on!) I have experienced a few minor glitches, one is the parking brake light comes on occasionally. At first I thought I had accidently bumped it or something, but it happens often enough that I know I have not touched the parking brake. Also the bright lights come on sometimes when I am first starting the car, again, I thought I had bumped the control. These are minor things and I have not talked to my dealer about them. I am starting a list so whenever I have to have the car in the garage for any length of time I will have the dealer check out for me. Like alot of people on here, I have also bought an extended warranty that should cover me to about 90,000 miles. The heads that turn whenever I drive by is GREAT!!! I have had more compliments on this car than any other car I have ever owned.
  • gotahemi4ugotahemi4u Member Posts: 5
    Got my car back last week. My phone call to customer service got me a transmision the next day. Car runs great now. Very happy with the performance. Although with only 315 miles on it I haven't spanked it yet. Kind of sad, on the 23rd it will be a month old and not much drive time yet. The car gets the looks though.
  • gotahemi4ugotahemi4u Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone had any issues with the fog lights? It was rather humid the other day and one of the fogs was fogged up. I would think they should be a somewhat sealed unit. Some kind of foam seal keeps falling down from the sunroof too. Doesn't leak. Probably going to have to go back to the dealer.
  • ivan1ivan1 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks a million. Incidentally, as I was driving to my work this morning, it struck me that the whole thing cannot be removed because of the lighter. I was confused with the Concordes's ash tray where the lighter is mounted next to the ash tray.
    But I appreciate your help. Ivan1
  • wildebeastwildebeast Member Posts: 23
    1400 miles on my C now. Still feel a surge at about 60 mpg like tranny is changing gear. Notice that RPMs at 70 are higher than in previous vehicles. Only other problem is brake light came on a couple of times but pulling parking brake release turned it off. Best mileage so far is 20.6.
  • trashman2trashman2 Member Posts: 44
    could it be going from 8 to 4 or 4 to 8 cly. the gas saving mode, just a guess.
  • carcom2carcom2 Member Posts: 212
    As far as brights coming on-I've noticed this too and think it's because if you have your headlights set to the automatic mode so they come on by themselves, during the day time when the lights are not on, you may have pushed the turn signal lever forward by accident without realizing it, probably from using it to indicate the turn you are going to make. If you turn the ignition off during the daylight, the lights will still be in the "brights/hi beam" setting. Then the next time you start up your car at night, the brights will be on. Check it out.
  • carcom2carcom2 Member Posts: 212
    I've had trouble with the fuse blowing in the center console so my car phone will not charge up. The mechanic couldn't figure it out so wanted to remove the console and I told him not to. I put in a new fuse and it worked for awhile and then it blew again. This has happened a few times already. The front power point is working.

Anyone else have this problem?
    Could be the gas saving mode as you guessed but I have heard that you aren't supposed to be able to tell when gas saving mode kicks in and out. My wife can feel the surge even when I am driving.
  • rdecker1rdecker1 Member Posts: 2
    carcom2,

Thank you, I bet that is what is happening with the bright lights. Now, if I can just keep the parking brake from coming on by itself....
  • dkrhardydkrhardy Member Posts: 134
    Yep, only once (knock on wood/head). Just went on a minor road trip, about 1100 miles round trip. Had the blown fuse, replaced at destination (which was at the 1/2 point, not home), OK so far. MPG was 23.4 for the whole trip, including my brother doing his best to wear off my tires! Right at the 10K mark .... no real problems, no drift, only great ride, great power, and really decent MPG.
  • 300cfan300cfan Member Posts: 2
    Less than 200 miles on my 300C so far, it's a shame. But the times I have been able to drive have been fantastic. Am now looking at accessories. If anyone has recommendations, please post. I even made a web site to assemble useful info on the 300C at: http://300C.blogspot.com.
    2000 miles on my C now. Inside door panel on driver side is coming loose.
  • catercater Member Posts: 11
    Update:
    10,000 miles on car now ;)... drove across Canada and back.
    My 300 is still not starting intermittantly. Keeping a log for the dealer and it takes 5 turns of the key to start the car now about every 2nd/3rd day. ALWAYS happens on the 1st start of the day. Dealership cannot emulate the problem so they have not been able to find a resolution. Anybody else have the same problem?

Blew a driving lamp also - had it replaced under warranty.
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Don't know if this will help. I had a starting problem like yours on my 300M a year or two ago. It turned out there is a $10 relay for the ingnition and a starter switch before the starter gets involved. We weren't sure which was failing so we changed them both. Cost about $130 with labor. You may want to see if there is a starter/ignition relay like that in the 300 and just change it. There was a relay box in the M that housed a bunch of relays and it was a quick out, quick in fix on that part. If that doesn't help consider the starter switch. Changing that took about 1.5 hours of labor. Good luck.
  • sam11sam11 Member Posts: 1
    this is the third time my check engine light is coming on while driving my brand new 300c. sent in for service twice already. service guy says that he replaced a sensor that was sending the wrong signals. i am curious if anyone else is having the same problem with their new 300c
  • greenwingsgreenwings Member Posts: 7
    Yes, I've had my engine light come on for about 2 days, then it went out, and hasn't come back on again. The light came on after I filled the gas tank for 2nd time. The manual reccomends 89 octane gas for 5.7L engines. You can use lower octane. This might be why the engine light comes on. Another possibility is a loose gas cap. Keep driving for a couple of days and see if it goes out.
    Hey guys, I had an SUV and the check engine light came on if I put the higher octane gas in. After the gas ran out and I refilled with the lower octane gas, the light stayed off ;)
    That is really a shame. I would have thought they would have done a buy back or switch of cars and attempted to keep you happy, but as Fastdriver [whose 300M was nicknamed "Christine"] would say, that is not the DC way--most of the time. Good luck on the Lemonade. Still great deals out there on 04 Vettes!!lol
  • bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    If you've taken the car more than 3 times to get the car fixed for the same problem, then it's potential for a Lemon Law Lawsuit. BUT, if there is a TSB for the fix, there's a couple of things to follow:
    1-Call Chrysler and talk to Regional Rep NOT Customer Service (they can't help you)
    2-Go to a different dealer. If this is not an option (there's only one dealer in your area), then let Chrysler Reg. Rep know that they need to take the car
    3-Inform Chrysler that you will acquire a lawyer if they do not buy back the vehicle or work to get the car fixed or offer a new vehicle.

I'm not saying you're not.. but always be professional with your expression. Show frustration but have composure! I'm sure it will work out, one way or another!
  • jpinskyjpinsky Member Posts: 2
    Had an unusual eye opener the other day. Was in the post office parking lot, reading the mail in the 300C and this car was backing out of their spot total unaware I was there. So I hit the horn button. The horn doesn't work when the car is off. Passed by the dealership and asked the service manager. He had never heard of the problem before, but we check the 3 300's on the lot and they all do the same thing (or don't do in this case). The service manual even specifically states that the horn is operational in all key positions. I don't know if this is the result of the most recent software flash upgrade (they do one each time I come in it seems) or just a design flaw, but it can be a safety issue.
  • bjsohiobjsohio Member Posts: 69
    My horn doesn't work either...and I haven't had any software upgrade.
  • amrymom3amrymom3 Member Posts: 1
    1. Car stalls and restarts, occassionally have trouble starting again, wait a few seconds and car starts right up.
    2. when driving at high speeds the RPMS will drop and come back up and the cruise control light flashes. The cruise control is not engaged.
    This is not a constant problem.
    3. We have had the car on the tester and no codes show.
    HELP!!!!
  • jeepjeep Member Posts: 86
    This issue has been addressed on other forums. I too, took it too my dealer on Wednesday. They checked cars on their lot and said they all did that. I informed them of the statement in the service manual, to which they were totally oblivious as they didn't even have a service manual. Anyway, they contacted Chrysler and the response was: "The service manual is incorrect. This is the way it was designed". They even stated: "This is the first vehicle that we have ever seen that was designed like this".

Anyway, we are all posting a complaint with NHTSA, stating that in our opinion, this is a safety factor. You also should file a complaint. Maybe we can get a recall.
  • banker4banker4 Member Posts: 5
    I have a Chrysler 300, with the 2.7 engine. I've had it since July 29 and only have 1500 miles on the car. I love the car, no problems, other than the outdoor temp gauge sticks occasionally.

I haven't taken any long trips, but the gas mileage is disappointing so far. My last fillup indicated a about 22 mpg. That is for combined highway and city, in my area, with the furthest trip, 60 miles and another of 40.

I would appreciate your experiences.

John
    Well, remember to keep in mind that you have a ~4000 lbs. car and the smaller engine has to make more of an effort to move that weight.
  • jinxedjinxed Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 300 two weeks ago and have just filled my car with the second tank of gas on Friday. I took my car back to the dealership after one week of use for a rough idle problem and they said that they had a factory "fix" for the problem (it still idles rough after the "fix"). Also I cannot load a cd into my player (when you try to load the cd it stops as though there is something blocking the entry of the cd)and they said they would have to order a new one. I got my car back on Wednesday (Oct. 6) and on Friday I noticed that there was a smell of oil burning from the motor. I also have black soot all over the back sides on the car and rear. I opened the hood only to find oil pooled in the plastic tray under the motor. I checked the dip stick and it is below the fill line. Is anyone else having that problem? I have not contacted the dealer yet because the service department was not open on Sat. and Sun.
    Seems like your dealer has sloppy workers.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Clearly, the car has developed a major oil leak! Get it back to the dealer and up on a lift so the problem can be diagnosed - quickly, I might add, before you do damage to the engine!
  • mr1340mr1340 Member Posts: 10
    I have 9000 miles and have complained about the same thing to no avail, not to mention the PULL TO THE RIGHT.
    We still have a non-starting problem with our 300!!!! Anybody else?????
    Mostly at first start of the day.
    As it gets colder now it takes from 5 to 60 tries to start the car 70% of the time. (The dealership asked us to log it ;)
    The only solution will be to rent a car for 2 - 3 days until the dealership can emulate the problem and then get a read out. My cash too 'cause DC will not provide a loaner car unless I pay for the ext. warrranty first. (Is this held hostage or what!)
    We are very pissed off with our first new car and first Chrysler - the last one for us!
    We filled in a recent survey from DC and my soft-spoken fiance asked me to write a comment: "If you will write us a cheque for the car, we will gladly give it back!" Basically a great looking car but what a P.O.S. We have been patient but after 2 recalls, pulling problems (TSB) and now not starting, we should have kept the Ford SUV that was paid for! Any help on the starting problem would be appreciated - the dealership has no clue! Tks.
    Hey jay4trae:
    Any fix for your starting problem - ours is getting worse ... almost to the point of it just not starting.
  • chuckgchuckg Member Posts: 69
    I've seen people with this problem (not many) solve this headache by using their other key. There is a chip in the key that when defective, can cause your problem.

No promises but it's worth a shot.
  • cjb2486cjb2486 Member Posts: 26
    I recently noticed something. When the car is cold all the lights flicker when I accelerate as if the voltage is fluctuating. My wild guess is that the alternator is under the most load when the car is cold and I'm running the headlights and heater. Maybe the fanbelt is loose?
    Any other thoughts would be appreciated.
    Thank you
  • intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    Chech your information sheets you got from your dealer when you bought your 300. You are entitled to a rental car for up to 5 days while your car is in for repair/service. This has nothing to do with extended warranty...

If you don't have the brochure that states this, check the Chrysler web site. I believe it is stated somewhere on that site.

I have a Crossfire and I have this upgraded warranty along with all Pacifica buyers. I believe the upgrade (rental car) warranty applies to the 300 as well.
    Thanks for the replys!
    Dealership has finally found the problem - and then the car started for them ;)
    Anyway, the PROBLEM IS THE MAIN COMPUTER - a sealed unit so they have ordered me a new one.
    They will put a rental for me on the worksheet and claim it back from Chrysler as it is in stock in montreal.
    Cheers.
    Changing out the biggest part--the main computer is usually the dealer's way of hoping it will solve whatever problem exists. If it does not solve the problem... consider the starter relay and the ignition switch [assuming the 300 has them like they did on the 300M]. I had a starting problem with the 300M and it turned out to be one of the two, I changed em both [$10 for the relay; $36 for the switch plus labor 1.5 hrs to install the switch] because we weren't sure which was bad. One was because it solved the problem. It could be something as simple as a defective relay or a bad ignition switch. Just keep it in mind if the other fix fails. Good luck.
  • lennylenny Member Posts: 29
    This will be my first winter owning a car with chrome rims (on my 300c) I always thought that the salt from the roads eats the finish on the chrome. When I asked the salesman he said "these new wheels do NOT need to be changed for the winter" So I'm asking if you heard this or if I need to put some other type rims on for the winter driving and the road salt? I hate to have to buy new chrome rims come next Spring. Thanks for your thoughts/comments.
  • wantone1wantone1 Member Posts: 28
    if you check the wheels that come with the 300C are cladded. the chrome u see is not a metal. I'll say plastic or some composite. I know as I just got my 300 C friday and started detailing the car. Pu metal polish on the first wheel and didn't get that chrome shine u normally see. I ended up using a spray polish to shine the "Chrome looking" wheels.
    Does anyone with a 300C have polished metal stock wheels.
  • quocpfnkquocpfnk Member Posts: 10
    this was the first car i've ever purchased and have to say, i love it. the car is great. it looks great, it drives great, and it feels great to be driving it. but, has anyone noticed a vibrating sound coming from their cd player when they are playing any cd other than the one in the first slot? it didn't do this when i first got the car but has been really noticeable recently. it's a tapping sound that's kind of annoying especially since the car is soo quiet otherwise. anyone else?
  • viper01viper01 Member Posts: 18
    I believe the wheels are real chrome plated, BUT are clear coated (paint) to protect the chrome. Therefore, don't use traditional chrome polish - use standard car wax.
  • dkrhardydkrhardy Member Posts: 134
    No, they are not chrome. They are a plastic cover that has been "glued" to the aluminum rim. Much like the chrome plastic used on the model cars of your youth. Look at the very edge of the rim and you will see the metal on the "lip" and the edge of where the plastic starts.
    When I use a soft cloth to buff my wheels on the 300C, they even flex a little when rubbing the indentations.

I'm hoping they will be fairly easy to clean in the winter.

So . . . how should they be maintained?
  • wantone1wantone1 Member Posts: 28
    I have been using one of the "Spray waxes" after I wash the car. I live in the Northeast and am somewhat concerned about their winter upkeep.
    Wantone1. I live in lower Michigan. Snow, slush and salt. Before the 300C I had a 300M with similar wheels. Even with a nice garage they were impossible to keep up. The front wheels especially, seemed to be much worse than the rears. I figured it was front wheel brake dust on top of everything else. Can I ask you what you recommend as a spray wax.
  • scndthghtsscndthghts Member Posts: 1
    Yes, I am having the problem with the Passenger airbag off light blinking on and off continuously. I have had my car in the shop three times for this very same thing. If it acts up again, I am going to get a Toyota or a Lexus.
This discussion has been closed.