Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scion xB Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jfritschjfritsch Posts: 958
    10 or so bids from dealers in a radius around you last week of the month for a vehicle equipped as you want. Prices including all taxes, dealer fees,,... OTD. Work the lowest 2-3 against each other. Lowest wins. Only way to know what the lowest price is is to find out what the lowest price is.

Good Luck
    --jjf

In regards to picking one dealer over another, I have a few questions on buying a new 2008 Scion XB that maybe some owners/buyers could answer?

I know that "pure pricing" means you pay the MSRP on the sticker. However, when you add the accessories, do you have to pay the MSRP on those, or are they negotiable?

I've checked all the Scion dealers around where I live, and they all charge the exact same for the accessories (their prices are listed on their dealer websites and in the showrooms). So if they all charge the exact same, what's the benefit of one dealer over another? Or can you negotiate price on the accessories?

Also, all the dealers around where I live charge a $675 dealer fee and $50 doc fee on top of the "pure price." This seems pretty high, but they all charge both of those. Does anybody know if these are negotiable; can you get one dealer to lower them over another?

And one last question: most dealers around here only have a few 2008 XBs in stock on their lot, but they list upwards of 50 available on their website. Do you have to pay any fee (besides the one built into the MSRP) to get one that they list as available? You don't have to pay any type of relocation fee, do you?

Any and all advice would be great. How did any of you owners/buyers out there handle these things? Thanks!
  • Are you saying the "pure price" is negotiable? I thought that it wasn't, but I thought that maybe the dealer fees and prices for accessories might be?
    There you go. One may also give you a much better price for your trade if you have one. Get 10 bids end of month.

Good luck
    --jjf

Are you saying the "pure price" is negotiable? I thought that it wasn't, but I thought that maybe the dealer fees and prices for accessories might be?
  • bpraxisbpraxis Posts: 292
    Hello everyone and I hope that you are having a great day.

With pure pricing the Scion Xb is providing Toyota with approximately a $900.00 profit which seems high to me for a inexpensive car.

To make matters worse here in Florida the dealers charge an addtional markup fee of $699.00.

So Scion is making an average profit here in Florida of $1600.00 on a economy car not including any accessories sold.

Volkswagon for example has a very thin profit on the Rabbit.

Does anyone else feel that this pure pricing is too expensive???
    Don't put too much stock into published invoice figures. You really don't know what exactly they are making on a vehicle. As is true everywhere from wal-mart to the jewelry store.

Yes the Xb seems expensive with the price boost compared to what others can be obtained for. Their marketing must be working and inventory control and manufacturing such that they can hold close to this price. Only the method suggested in my previous post will tell.

Good Luck
    --jjf

Hello everyone and I hope that you are having a great day.

With pure pricing the Scion Xb is providing Toyota with approximately a $900.00 profit which seems high to me for a inexpensive car.

To make matters worse here in Florida the dealers charge an addtional markup fee of $699.00.

So Scion is making an average profit here in Florida of $1600.00 on a economy car not including any accessories sold.

Volkswagon for example has a very thin profit on the Rabbit.

Does anyone else feel that this pure pricing is too expensive???
  • Purchase my 2008 auto black on black xB this past weekend. 17,180 just as on the sticker--$600 tax and $100 dealer fee I believe

Where do you pay only $600 sales tax on a $17,180 car?
  • bpraxisbpraxis Posts: 292
    In Orlando I have only seen two Xbs in the last two months and the inventory seems to be rising. It the Xb off to a slow start?
  • dreasdaddreasdad Posts: 276
    So whats the mark up on the rabbit and how much is holdback
    and does it have vehicle stabililty contol and traction control?
  • aathertonaatherton Posts: 617
    "... all the dealers around where I live charge a $675 dealer fee and $50 doc fee on top of the "pure price." This seems pretty high, but they all charge both of those. Does anybody know if these are negotiable; can you get one dealer to lower them over another?"

Are you sure all the dealers got together and set the same fee? Pretty smart collusion.

When I bought my '06, the three dealers here had fees of $400, $500 and $900. I only found out about the big fees when I was at the $900 dealer and it showed up on the purchase order I was supposed to sign. It was not negotiable, and when I refused, that dealer invited me to check other dealers. So I did and bought from a dealer with a lower fee.
  • Just got our Nautical Blue automatic XB 3 days ago at the pure price without any dealer fees. I researched many dealers in Ga. and found dealer fees ranging from $249 to $750. The dealer that I wanted to purchase our XB from had a dealer fee of $399. Our daughter lives in Asheville, NC, and on a recent trip I visited the Asheville dealer and found out that they did not add a dealer fee to any of their vehicles. The Asheville dealer is 2 hours away from home, so I preferred to buy the XB from the Ga. dealer that is only 30 minutes away. When I called the Ga. dealer and told them that they could waive the dealer fee or I would purchase the vehicle in Asheville, they agreed to remove the fee. In reality, they left the dealer fee and reduced the sales price by $399. They explained that they could not get rid of the dealer fee or they would set themselves up for a class action suit by everyone that had paid the fee.

We wanted the dark blue color with automatic and no other options, and the dealer did not have one on the lot. They ended up doing a dealer trade, and ironically our XB came out of North Carolina. The drive-out price of $18573.17 came about this way:
    $16,600 list + $715 Del'y - $399 discount + $399 Admin fee + $22.54(?)+ $1213.63 tax + $22 title fee = $18,573.17.

As I mentioned, the dealers did a trade to get the vehicle that we wanted to Ga. When I went through the glove box, I found the trade information that the driver had failed to turn in to the dealer. It showed that the Ga. dealer paid the NC dealer $16,569.41 for our XB. The NC dealer paid the Ga. dealer $25,830.41 for the trade vehicle, but I can't tell from the paperwork exactly what that vehicle was. It was an '07 Model 8216, whatever that is.

The dealer also threw in floor mats at no charge. I am not sure if this was intentional, or they failed to put them on the invoice.

We love the XB so far. I would definitely recommend it. I hope that the above info will help others that are considering taking the plunge.
  • stlxbstlxb Posts: 2
    Just got a new 08 Blue xB automatic. Ackerman Toyota is offering $500 off the MSRP and another dealer in town is offering $400 off MSRP. I saw just about every color except teal.

Price was 16825 + $92 dealer fee. I have to pay the TTL this weekend at the DMV. I hope this helps.
  • Looking to buy one with automatic, no other options. What you guys paying for the out of the door price in the bay area?
  • Is the "no haggle" pricing for XM supposed to be $449 plus installation charge, or $449 including installation charge?
    Go to sams club, costco or wallmart and buy the xm sportster with home and car kit/antennas and remote for $40. Use the windshield suction cup or ac vent auto mount and throw the magnetic antenna outside (door/frame molding) or on the dash in 10 minutes. Evaluate the programming before you put $650 into an xm radio with no remote and no ability to bring your $150/yr account inside for ball games etc. (return policies are usually 90 days)

If you like it have the cheap kit professionally installed for $150 or do it yourself. Some more expensive kits have units that quick switch from car to boom boxes etc and good monthly use intro offers. Anything is better than the rape jobs for these single use auto manufacturer kits.

good luck
    --jjf

Is the "no haggle" pricing for XM supposed to be $449 plus installation charge, or $449 including installation charge?
  • macljsmacljs Posts: 5
    Hi, I want to buy an 08' XB in portland recently. I only need the auto transit option. Did anyone buy it there recently? How much should I paid for it right now?
  • dwynnedwynne Posts: 4,018
    The prices of new Scions is "fixed" for no haggle sales. About the only difference you will see is the amount of dealer "doc" or "prep" fee each dealer tacks on to the top of the price. Sales are really slow due to the higher price and lack of interest of the new xB's design, so some dealers are offering free accessories when you buy the car. Still the same high price, but you might get $500 or so of free add-ons to try to entice you to take the deal.

I have an 06 xB and it is a lot of car for what *I* paid for it and the new design has many improvements, but I don't care as much for the styling and the $17,220 price is pretty high. A Civic LX sedan with auto has an INVOICE price of $16,984 so you should be able to buy one for as cheap or cheaper than the new xB. A Honda Fit Sport with auto has an MSRP for $16,705. So paying $17,220 for a new xB just does not make much sense to me.

Dennis
    An 08 scion tc base has a msrp of about 18500. However its used 07 counterpart barely wholesales for $12500. Youch! Saturn tried to make the no haggle thing work for a few years, and I figure Scion would also with the trendy and stylish bit, but it is probably over. Buying a Tc,and probably a xb (look up an 07 on kbb.com or nada.com) at dealer list is financial hari-kari. Add a bit on the xb as the design this year is a bit better.

If the dealers are somehow prevented from selling too much below list, they may highball your trade, or throw in $2000+ or more of their (inflated) dealer priced add-ons. You want at least a true 3000 worth of stuff, dealer discount and extra trade allowance on the Tc, as the economy is flat and there are too many good deals out there.

Good luck
    --jjf
    Hi Dennis,
    Thanks for your reply and information. I like the civic also. It speeds up smoother than the XB and the look of XB is a little odd. However the 08' XB has a bigger engine(2.4L) than the civic and it has much more pace in the car. That why I choose the XB. Do you know what is the resell value of the XB? Can it be sold easily be cause it is not so popular in US.
  • dwynnedwynne Posts: 4,018
    The resale of the prior model xB is (was?) real good, but since the new 08 can't see knew I would doubt the resale value will be very strong. The Civic always has strong resale value, for sure if you buy near invoice you will not lose as much money down the road when it is time to sell.

Dennis
    Thanks JJF. It seems it is impossible to cut the price off since everyone said the MSRP is fit in scion. But $3000 worth stuff is not so important to me because the XB's standard trim is good enough to me.