Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scion xB Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• aathertonaatherton Posts: 617
    I don't use the suede dashmat except when the car is driven with the windows up or parked in hot sun. Most of the time the dashmat is rolled up behind the rear seat.

Since I don't use it all the time, I only stuck the hooked velcro tape in two places around the speedo housing. The hooked tape grabs the back of the dashmat gently. The dashmat lies on the xB dash very well if I take time to place it carefully and leave it there for a day. But most of the time I just slap in on the dash for a few hours and don't care if I don't get it perfect. If I used spots of tape everywhere and left the dashmat in place to settle out, it would lie perfectly.

The dash used to get almost too hot to touch in the sun, which increased the load on the AC and made the parked car very hot. The dashmat only gets warm to the touch, which reduces the load on the AC and makes the parked car a lot cooler.
  • Hi I am considering buying a new scion xb and trading in my chrysler sebring. I am wondering though, since scion has the whole pure price thing, why would you pick one dealership over another besides distance and availability of the model? Also I am in Phoenix, AZ so if anyone has any positive or negative experiences with dealerships out here please share!
  • jfritschjfritsch Posts: 958
    Check my message #12481 in the Honda Accord prices paid discussion for useful info on how to buy a car.

In a no dicker Saturn like situation for the Scion your major determinant would be price otd with all your options with all fees and taxes. The biggie in your case would be the trade allowance offered. Although they have little flexibility on the raw sticker, the options and fees they have more leeway on as well of course, the trade.

--jjf
  • dwynnedwynne Posts: 4,018
    If you had no trade-in, then with "pure pricing" it would come down to the amount each dealer charges for dealer fees (can run from $50 up to $500, I have heard) and if they have the color and transmission choice you want in stock.

With a trade in, then it would be a choice of how much they will allow on your Sebring and how high the dealer fee is. Find the combo that nets you the best price.

Dennis
  • When I bought my xB in Louisville in Feb 2006, the total fees at the three dealers were $400, $500 and $900 (!)
    At the $900 dealer, some of the fees did not become apparent until the purchase order was drawn up for me to sign. There were pre-printed lines on it like Special Benefits Package and Saleperson, and the dealer had filled in $600 for one and $200 for the other, which were nothing but fees.
    I didn't buy from that dealer.
  • dwynnedwynne Posts: 4,018
    Link to free CR 10 best and worst depreciation story

The Scion xb is #3 in holding value behind only the Prius and the Mini. The xA is #9 and the Civic is #10 .

Dennis
    Word to the wise, with the depreciation situation, buy a new xa, xb, even with $200-300 in doc fees.

My friend just sold a 2 yr old xb with 29000 miles on it for about $1300 less than a new one at his dealership (to some nimrod no doubt but still...)

--jjf

The Scion xb is #3 in holding value behind only the Prius and the Mini. The xA is #9 and the Civic is #10 .

Dennis
  • I purchased a 2005 Scion XB automatic from Carmax for 15,500.00. (By the way I LOVE CARMAX, best way to buy a used car in my opinion)

Afterwards I went to the Scion dealership down the street and realized I could have got a brand new 2006 for the same amount.

However, my Scion came with alloy wheels, rear spoiler, and euro style tail lights, so I probably still saved money.

The only feature I think I really missed out on was the radio controls on the steering wheel.

I love the car, it handles great, gets great gas mileage, feels more roomier than the Ford Explorer I traded in, and I was able to load it up with an incredible amount of boxes and luggage when I had to move a couple of months ago.

I miss some features that I am accustomed too...like cruise control.

Can someone who has had the cruise control installed tell me how clean the installation is and how well it works?. Also, what is the lowest speed you can have it set for? I like to set my cruise control when I am driving in 25 mph zones to keep me honest.
  • [quote] Can someone who has had the cruise control installed tell me how clean the installation is and how well it works?. Also, what is the lowest speed you can have it set for? I like to set my cruise control when I am driving in 25 mph zones... [/quote]

The cruise control is made by Rostra, whether installed by the port or the dealer or aftermarket. I bought mine aftermarket from AllScion.com and they provided the name of a local installer (who had done 75 for the three local Scion dealers). I studied the instructions and the car, and could have installed it if I was not 6'-2" and 64 yrs with a stiff back and trifocals. The vision was the worst, as you must be able to look upward and see perfectly 3 inches in front of your face. So I paid the installer, who did it in two hours while I waited. It is a clean stalk on the steering column, below and behind the car's stalk. I had mine installed high and further back, so I would never hit it with my big knees getting in. As a result I can't see the ON light behind the steering wheel, but it is only visible at night anyway, and you learn to use the control by feel anyway.

I have a manual transmission and only use the cruise control when on the Interstate. With an automatic, I think you might be able to set it on 25 mph if you could maintain that speed for a few minutes at a time. But in practice under normal driving conditions where you would be using 25 mph, I think the cruise control, the engine/trans and you would all go crazy. If this is what you want to do, I am very sure that things will not work the way you want. Expect to spend about $350.
  • sduff68sduff68 Posts: 52
    Thanks for the response on the cruise control. I think I will add it to my XB when I get the opportunity.

Happy New Year!
  • icechuuicechuu Posts: 10
    Hi guys, howdy? I am looking into buying a 2007 SCION -XB, I am located in Pasadena., Southern California. Recently has got a quote as follows:

Base price $15,410
    Fog light kit $ 350
    Spoiler $ 385
    Tail light $ 275
    Pumper/protect $ 58
    Auto Trans.
    Black Color
    ----------------------------
    $ 16,478.00
    Tax/Lic/fees + $ 1,598.72
    ----------------------------

Out the door
    PRICE : $18,076.72
    -----------

Is this out the door price in Southern California for a Scion XB (Black) with auto transmission is a decent quote or is it way too high? Do any one know any decent dealership in Southern California around Pasadena. that will have competitive prices for the little Scion I am looking for? Any suggestion or opinion will be greatly appreciated.
  • Icechuu, there isn't a 2007 Scion xB model. All the remaining inventory is from the 2006 year, as this particular model has gone out of production in anticipation of the redesigned 2008 version out later this year.

Thus far, no official designs for the new xB have been released. As far as the quote you received, it seems fair but only if you want those extra features. If you hunt around, you might find a base model without them for around $15G. Good luck.
  • icechuuicechuu Posts: 10
    Hey brucepadgett, thanks for all the info. I found one and only one with the color : Show Mica
    at a dealer ship. With the options that I want:

Rear Spoiler
    Tail Lights
    Fog Light Kit
    Floor carpet

The out the door price with tax/license/fee : $18,143.84 was quoted. They were very frank and admit they have to make about $883.00 on this deal. You think this is still a fair deal? Any comments will be greatly appreciated. :) Thanks!
  • Icechuu, I believe that $883 is what they CHOOSE to make, that's why they included all those options. The important question is: do you think they're worth the extra cost to obtain that particular xB? IOW could you get one with your desired color anywhere else w/o the options?

I would recommend you keep calling local dealers. Try contacting the internet sales manager for each one as they may offer you lower prices than the floor salesmen. Link via the Scion website--your messages should route directly
    to the dealers' internet staff. Good luck.
  • Purchase my 2008 auto black on black xB this past weekend. 17,180 just as on the sticker--$600 tax and $100 dealer fee I believe--great trade in amount on my old 02 Suzuki Vitara. The experience (for the most part) was great. The only thing lacking was that apparently they put the upgraded stereo in it and didn't include that on the sticker (the one with the graphics plate) and when I came back in the next day to finish getting detailed they tried to tell me to either pay the $600 for the stereo or take the general pioneer back--sorry dude but I already have signed off on all of the paperword for a set price for THAT car.

I called their bluff and asked "well what would I have to do to return it" and after a talk with the manager the stereo was mine at no extra cost. That in my opinion--was a bit ridiculous--their mistake not mine.
  • goodmfgoodmf Posts: 1
    I am planning to buy 2008 xB (white or teal mica) with the following options

-TRD supercharger (boost to 200 hp)
    -TRD 19' alloy wheels
    -spoiler
    -navigation system

I am located in chicago.
    Am I expecting to pay build price (scion website) ?
    Any suggestions ?
  • natatacnatatac Posts: 17
    Any one tried the Costco/credit union buying service for a Scion yet? They have you set up an appointment with a specific fleet manager and give you a no haggle, fixed amount over dealer invoice. I have seen listings for Saturn in the listings so I would assume Scion would be a player also.
  • georgiamangeorgiaman Posts: 16
    It is not clear from the Scion website if the following features are standard or optional on the new 2008 Xb:

1. Cargo Cover
    2. Tinted Windows (Deep or Light?)
    3. Fog Lights

Can any of the owners comment? If they are optional, how much extra do you pay for them?

Thanks
  • mcmanusmcmanus Posts: 121
    We have 180,000 miles on a 2001 Sienna that we like a lot, due in part to a good Scion/Toyota/Lexus dealership. But it's a bit pricey to drive the van as much as she does, so I'm always on the look out for something cheaper when it comes time to replace it. Previously I'd brought home a 4 cylinder/FWD RAV4 which she liked well enough to replace the Sienna. As it would be about $4000 cheaper to buy, cheaper to service, better mileage, and probably better during our snowy winters, I was very pleased.

As she works out of town I end up taking it in for service, but we happened to be nearby the dealer yesterday. So I pulled in to show her the new xB. She liked it! She was OK to give up room and the third seat! She even wanted to get it with a manual transmission! This would save another $5000 over the RAV4. :shades:

The only down side is that I was thinking of getting it for myself (before we replace the Sienna) and don't want two of the same car. :confuse:
  • In regards to picking one dealer over another, I have a few questions on buying a new 2008 Scion XB that maybe some owners/buyers could answer?

I know that "pure pricing" means you pay the MSRP on the sticker. However, when you add the accessories, do you have to pay the MSRP on those, or are they negotiable?

I've checked all the Scion dealers around where I live, and they all charge the exact same for the accessories (their prices are listed on their dealer websites and in the showrooms). So if they all charge the exact same, what's the benefit of one dealer over another? Or can you negotiate price on the accessories?

Also, all the dealers around where I live charge a $675 dealer fee and $50 doc fee on top of the "pure price." This seems pretty high, but they all charge both of those. Does anybody know if these are negotiable; can you get one dealer to lower them over another?

And one last question: most dealers around here only have a few 2008 XBs in stock on their lot, but they list upwards of 50 available on their website. Do you have to pay any fee (besides the one built into the MSRP) to get one that they list as available? You don't have to pay any type of relocation fee, do you?

Any and all advice would be great. How did any of you owners/buyers out there handle these things? Thanks!
    10 or so bids from dealers in a radius around you last week of the month for a vehicle equipped as you want. Prices including all taxes, dealer fees,,... OTD. Work the lowest 2-3 against each other. Lowest wins. Only way to know what the lowest price is is to find out what the lowest price is.

Good Luck
    --jjf

In regards to picking one dealer over another, I have a few questions on buying a new 2008 Scion XB that maybe some owners/buyers could answer?

I know that "pure pricing" means you pay the MSRP on the sticker. However, when you add the accessories, do you have to pay the MSRP on those, or are they negotiable?

I've checked all the Scion dealers around where I live, and they all charge the exact same for the accessories (their prices are listed on their dealer websites and in the showrooms). So if they all charge the exact same, what's the benefit of one dealer over another? Or can you negotiate price on the accessories?

Also, all the dealers around where I live charge a $675 dealer fee and $50 doc fee on top of the "pure price." This seems pretty high, but they all charge both of those. Does anybody know if these are negotiable; can you get one dealer to lower them over another?

And one last question: most dealers around here only have a few 2008 XBs in stock on their lot, but they list upwards of 50 available on their website. Do you have to pay any fee (besides the one built into the MSRP) to get one that they list as available? You don't have to pay any type of relocation fee, do you?

Any and all advice would be great. How did any of you owners/buyers out there handle these things? Thanks!
  • Are you saying the "pure price" is negotiable? I thought that it wasn't, but I thought that maybe the dealer fees and prices for accessories might be?
    There you go. One may also give you a much better price for your trade if you have one. Get 10 bids end of month.

Good luck
    --jjf

Are you saying the "pure price" is negotiable? I thought that it wasn't, but I thought that maybe the dealer fees and prices for accessories might be?
  • bpraxisbpraxis Posts: 292
    Hello everyone and I hope that you are having a great day.

With pure pricing the Scion Xb is providing Toyota with approximately a $900.00 profit which seems high to me for a inexpensive car.

To make matters worse here in Florida the dealers charge an addtional markup fee of $699.00.

So Scion is making an average profit here in Florida of $1600.00 on a economy car not including any accessories sold.

Volkswagon for example has a very thin profit on the Rabbit.

Does anyone else feel that this pure pricing is too expensive???
    Don't put too much stock into published invoice figures. You really don't know what exactly they are making on a vehicle. As is true everywhere from wal-mart to the jewelry store.

Yes the Xb seems expensive with the price boost compared to what others can be obtained for. Their marketing must be working and inventory control and manufacturing such that they can hold close to this price. Only the method suggested in my previous post will tell.

Good Luck
    --jjf

Hello everyone and I hope that you are having a great day.

With pure pricing the Scion Xb is providing Toyota with approximately a $900.00 profit which seems high to me for a inexpensive car.

To make matters worse here in Florida the dealers charge an addtional markup fee of $699.00.

So Scion is making an average profit here in Florida of $1600.00 on a economy car not including any accessories sold.

Volkswagon for example has a very thin profit on the Rabbit.

Does anyone else feel that this pure pricing is too expensive???
  • Purchase my 2008 auto black on black xB this past weekend. 17,180 just as on the sticker--$600 tax and $100 dealer fee I believe

Where do you pay only $600 sales tax on a $17,180 car?
  • bpraxisbpraxis Posts: 292
    In Orlando I have only seen two Xbs in the last two months and the inventory seems to be rising. It the Xb off to a slow start?
  • dreasdaddreasdad Posts: 276
    So whats the mark up on the rabbit and how much is holdback
    and does it have vehicle stabililty contol and traction control?
  • aathertonaatherton Posts: 617
    "... all the dealers around where I live charge a $675 dealer fee and $50 doc fee on top of the "pure price." This seems pretty high, but they all charge both of those. Does anybody know if these are negotiable; can you get one dealer to lower them over another?"

Are you sure all the dealers got together and set the same fee? Pretty smart collusion.

When I bought my '06, the three dealers here had fees of $400, $500 and $900. I only found out about the big fees when I was at the $900 dealer and it showed up on the purchase order I was supposed to sign. It was not negotiable, and when I refused, that dealer invited me to check other dealers. So I did and bought from a dealer with a lower fee.
  • Just got our Nautical Blue automatic XB 3 days ago at the pure price without any dealer fees. I researched many dealers in Ga. and found dealer fees ranging from $249 to $750. The dealer that I wanted to purchase our XB from had a dealer fee of $399. Our daughter lives in Asheville, NC, and on a recent trip I visited the Asheville dealer and found out that they did not add a dealer fee to any of their vehicles. The Asheville dealer is 2 hours away from home, so I preferred to buy the XB from the Ga. dealer that is only 30 minutes away. When I called the Ga. dealer and told them that they could waive the dealer fee or I would purchase the vehicle in Asheville, they agreed to remove the fee. In reality, they left the dealer fee and reduced the sales price by $399. They explained that they could not get rid of the dealer fee or they would set themselves up for a class action suit by everyone that had paid the fee.

We wanted the dark blue color with automatic and no other options, and the dealer did not have one on the lot. They ended up doing a dealer trade, and ironically our XB came out of North Carolina. The drive-out price of $18573.17 came about this way:
    $16,600 list + $715 Del'y - $399 discount + $399 Admin fee + $22.54(?)+ $1213.63 tax + $22 title fee = $18,573.17.

As I mentioned, the dealers did a trade to get the vehicle that we wanted to Ga. When I went through the glove box, I found the trade information that the driver had failed to turn in to the dealer. It showed that the Ga. dealer paid the NC dealer $16,569.41 for our XB. The NC dealer paid the Ga. dealer $25,830.41 for the trade vehicle, but I can't tell from the paperwork exactly what that vehicle was. It was an '07 Model 8216, whatever that is.

The dealer also threw in floor mats at no charge. I am not sure if this was intentional, or they failed to put them on the invoice.

We love the XB so far. I would definitely recommend it. I hope that the above info will help others that are considering taking the plunge.