Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 Ford Super Duty Trucks

player4player4 Member Posts: 362
edited March 2014 in Ford
AMERICA’S WORK TRUCK GETS STRONGER, BETTER, TOUGHER – 2005 FORD SUPER DUTY IS KING OF THE HILL

Ford Super Duty customers rely on their trucks to get the job done - whether at work or at play. The 2005 Super Duty delivers - with more capability, unsurpassed power, more toughness and useful new features that will make work easier and recreation time more enjoyable.

"The 2005 Super Duty takes capability to the max, with towing and cargo ratings that will astound our customers," said Frank Davis, Ford vehicle programs director for pickups and commercial vehicles. The 2005 Ford Super Duty features a host of functional, capability and convenience improvements:

Increased tow ratings across the board, with best-in-class maximum tow rating of 17,000 pounds.

Class-leading payload for Super Duty pickups - up to 5,800 pounds of cargo in the F-350 dually. On average, payload improves 500 to 1,000 pounds for F-250 and F-350 pickups.

TowCommand™ System - a combination of standard and optional features that makes towing easier, including an industry-first factory-installed trailer brake controller.

Unsurpassed power - including the segment's most powerful gasoline engine, the 6.8-liter, 3-valve Triton™ V-10 with 355 hp and 455 pound-feet of torque. The best-selling 6.0-liter Power Stroke® diesel increases to 570 pound-feet of torque.

A new front suspension and improved steering for better ride, handling and maneuverability in 4X4 pickups and all F-450 and F-550 chassis cabs.

Best-in-class braking, with larger rotors and larger, stiffer calipers. Even the parking brake is larger and stronger.

Stronger, tougher frame to deliver all of this new capability.

Design changes that cap off the new capabilities with a bolder, tougher look up front, the segment's only 18- and 20-inch wheels and a more refined interior.

Higher Tow Rating, More Payload Capacity

For 2005, Ford Super Duty pickups have more towing and payload capacity than ever, making F-350 the clear class leader, for towing up to 17,000 pounds.

All Super Duty trucks - from F-250 through F-550 - benefit from chassis upgrades, including stronger frames and available stronger axles. With more customers opting for features like diesel engines, four-wheel-drive and crew cabs, Ford Super Duty's higher axle weight ratings, stronger frames and better brakes enable maximum pickup payload capacity increases by up to 1,280 pounds.

"There's a reason people look up to Super Duty as the benchmark in this class," said Susan Dehne, F-Series Super Duty chief engineer. "It was a great truck to begin with - and we've improved more than 100 individual areas to make it even better."

TowCommand™ System Makes Towing Easier

The 2005 Ford Super Duty's TowCommand System makes life easier for the driver when a big load is along for the ride.

"This truck is all about capability and control," said Dehne. "Knowing 90 percent of our customers tow trailers, towing had to be a priority in our improvements."

The TowCommand System, which includes the industry's first factory-installed and warranted electronic trailer brake controller, offers smoother operation and safety features. This includes a special trailer brake strategy when the truck's anti-lock braking system detects poor traction. No aftermarket trailer brake controller can do this.

F-Series Super Duty

Ford's Super Duty lineup includes F-250 and F-350 pickups, as well as F-350, F-450 and F-550 chassis cabs, and is a part of Ford's F-Series truck family - America's best-selling truck for the past 27 years, and the best-selling vehilce, car or truck, for the past 22 years.

The 2005 Ford F-Series Super Duty will be built at Ford's Kentucky Truck Plant in Louisville, KY., and will arrive in dealerships this fall.

Comments

• lowered_f250lowered_f250 Member Posts: 1
    I thoroughly enjoyed viewing the pics of the new 2005 Super Duty. I was on the fence on wether to get one or not but now it is just a matter of time. Ford continues to do it again and again. Thanks Ford, keep up the good work.
    curt
  • bewhite25bewhite25 Member Posts: 35
    I really like the changes to the grill and headlights. I think that the rear would have benefitted from some more dramatic tailights, like those on the new F-150. Unfortunately, the interior didn't get much treatment. Also, it would have been nice to see the 6.0L get a boost to 600 lb.-ft or more to better compete with the Duramax and Cummins, but I suppose Ford should just be happy if the 2005 Powerstrokes run without any major trouble. I thought I read somewhere that the 5 speed auto would be expanded to fit with the new 6.8 and possibly even the 5.4. Anyone know anything about that?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    Ford will offer the new TowCommand System in '05 F-Series Super Duty pickups:
    http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosconsumer/0406/09/g03-177987.htm

What do you think about this safety feature?

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• horsejdhorsejd Member Posts: 18
    Does anyone know if the 2005 F-250 Crew Cab will have side curtain airbags available standard or as an option? Thanks
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Great post and great pictures. I may well buy a new F250 diesel. I just cannot get over how ugly the new trucks are. I loved the old Ford and Chevy trucks. I am hanging onto my 1999 Suburban, no matter what I buy for a truck.
  • smablandsmabland Member Posts: 1
    I've been researching this subject myself. From what I've learned, from reliable sources, the side airbags will not be available on the 2005. However, I've not seen it in writing. Ford always seems to lag behind the longest when it comes to offering safety features.
  • tflotflo Member Posts: 3
    I have a 99 F-350 SuperDuty diesel truck. Recently I've noticed that when I drive it hard with a trailer in tow, I get a really bad vibration when I come to an idle. I took it to the dealer and they said I needed an oil change (which it was time for). They said it had no other codes other than oil airation. Even after the oil change the problem still persists, I can drive along 75mph and not really notice any problem, when I decelerate and come to an idle the engine is missing badly and when I take off again. Once I get the RPM's up you cannot feel the miss anymore. When I'm driving with no load, I have not noticed the problem, only under loaded conditions. Any ideas what could be causing this?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    tflo, we're really only talking about the upcoming Super Duty trucks here, but you might post your problem in one of these discussions:
    Ford F-Series pickup truck problems
    Got a Quick, Technical Question?

That's where you're most likely to get feedback on your engine problem.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• wisbeckwisbeck Member Posts: 10
    I was told last year to wait until after January to buy the F250 Diesel because Ford was going to make engine improvements. I now saw the pictures above and read the one web sight about the new transmission and break controller coming out on the 2005 models. I like what I'm reading. I just have one question, what kind of gas mileage improvements will the 2005 have? I talked to several Dodge Ram Diesel owners with the 373 gears and they get 22 MPG highway and 18 MPG towing a 30-foot TT. From what I hear Ford only gets 18 MPG highway and 14 MPG towing. Will this improve in 2005?
  • emilio1emilio1 Member Posts: 3
    when will this vehicle be available for special order [ i assume few if any dealers will have on lot] ?
    where can i find the factory order form [copy] online; ford direct.com only has 2004 "build your vehicle form" or when will they change to the 2005 form ?
    how will dealers sell this vehicle in terms of discount from sticker / how was it done in 2004 ?
    finally if i do a special order how long does actual [real] delivery time typically take ?
This discussion has been closed.