Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S40 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Did you drive both the Mazda 3 and Volvo s40? The s40 really isn't crossed shopped with the Mazda and although they share underpinnings, they feel quite different. The Mazda handles sharper but feels considerably lighter, rides differently, doesn't have the 4 grades of steel as the Volvo, doesn't have the whiplash protection, and numerous other aspects that make Volvos Volvos, not to mention different engines and brakes. The Mazda is a fine value, and a fun to drive car for sure, but it really is quite a different car than the Volvo outside of general size and some shared components.
  • cllawcllaw Posts: 32
    Hi all

I'm a newbies here so please forgive me if I put down something funny.

I got a quote from my dealer with S40i with option listed below
    1: Select Packages
    2: Climate Packages
    3: Metallic paint
    4: Automatic transmission.

The MSRP is $28,750 and the dealer quote to me is $26,480. The dealer is located in Brooklyn, New York City. There are only 3 Volvo dealers in the town and one of them give me a crazy price so I won't go back there.

I'm looking into enter a 2 years lease with 10,000 miles per year. Do you think any dealer willing to do a 2 years lease? I check around and most of the dealer out there offer 3 years lease only? I will appreciate if any one can give me a hand on it.

Regards

Alex the rookie :)
  • I was listening to the radio here in las vegas, and a volvo commercial comes on. It has something to do with the new pricing on the volvos, there is a $3000 incentive right now? and they will double it on the remaining 05's. Has anyone heard of this? is it regional? I can't find anything about it online or on the dealers website. Any info would be good, thanks.

Ready to buy a s40 t5 in vegas.
  • is there any complaints about the s40? Any problems? :P I think it's a sharp looking car. I'm debating over a saab9-3 or a S40 :P
  • au94au94 Posts: 171
    We've had a T5, auto with premium pkg for about a month now and love it. The car is quite powerful with the turbo. Very comfortable as well. Only "complaint" I have is that the space between the brake and gas pedals is tight for me. Does not bother my wife however, which works as this is her car. Read the other posts in the forum and make you decision. I did not see anything that scared me off the car. We also considered the 9-3 (scared of reliability), CTS (too expensive) and TSX (too common). One of the things we like best about the car is that it is not too common, at least in our area. BMW's, Lexi, Infiniti and Acura at almost every intersection, but not many S40's. Same could be said for the Saab, but again reliability and resale scared me. We'll see how the Volvo fares.
  • dhanleydhanley Posts: 1,531
    My opinion on that was that in 2005, the 9-3 was better at the low end, more power, AWD, leather, stability control all in the base car, but the volvo was better at the high end when equipped with the t5, awd, etc.

dave
  • brightness04brightness04 Posts: 3,151
    You were probably thinking of 9-2 vs. S40, not 9-3 vs. S40. 9-3 is a lot more luxurious than 9-2, but no AWD, yet.
    Ugh. I was meaning to compare the 9-3 to s40. The AWD in the above was a brain hiccup i get for cutting and pasting too much. I meant to say "but no AWD available."

You're right the 9-3 is much more luxurious then the 9-2. I wouldn't compare the 9-2 to the 9-3 to s40.

My previous look see was in '05. Both cars have changed somewhat. Here's the '06 comparison:

9-3 (210hp2.0L turbo 4) $26,620
    s40i (168hp 2.4L i-5) + leather and DSTC $26,345

The saab's just a few bucks more and wins on engine big-time. On the other hand, you can delete leather on the volvo for the arguably superior gore-tex and save significant $$.

However, on the high end:
    s40+awd+t5+dstc+xenons+premium(sunroof)+winter = 33,087
    9-3+winter package(rest is standard) = 33,720

The price was much more on the saab last year--in this case the volvo offers AWD, but the saab offers the 258hp turbo v6 vs the 218hp i-5. Depends on what you like.

Tough call in either case.
  • schoupschoup Posts: 22
    You can't really compare the S40i to the 9-3 2.0T you need to compare the S40 T5 (218hp) to the 9-3 2.0T (210 hp). Also realize that on the 9-3 you need to get the premium pkg because the Std audio system is horrible. The 9-3+premium+moonroof is comparable to theS40 T5+premium(includes moonroof)+audio. The The MSRP's are close but Volvo has much better resale value and reliability. Also Saab is offering nothing for incentives right now while Volvo is.
    Fair enough. I have more thoughts, but i'll be quiet as this is not a comparison board. ;)
  • I am curious as to what fellow board members think of the offers I was proposed by 2 dealerships in Colorado.
    1st offer: '06 S40 T5 Auto MSRP 30,335, offered it at a lease price of $26624.

2nd offer at another dealer: '06S40 T5 fully loaded MSRP of $34500 offered it to me at a cap cost of 28800.

What does anyone think??? Problem is, I've got 2 trades to figure in the equation '03 Explorer, and an '01 Mustang that I owe a combined 23k on. Dealer 1 said they'de give me 20k for both and dealer 2 said he'd pay them off but I'd have to come up with 3k down for the advertised monthly lease pymt of $399 pr mo.

Can anyone tell me if these are good deals or if there is room for more negotiation..
    I would be very grateful for any wise words of wisdom Thanks!
  • disney2disney2 Posts: 25
    What incentives is Volvo offering now? Thanks. Does anyone know what the money factor and residual value of a 36 month lease would be for the S40? Thanks.
  • I'm looking at the S4 and there is a beautiful one at my local dealer. I can't figure out what a good deal for the 2005 vs the 2006 online. I think there is a 2500 'marketing' incentive for the dealership. Any idea on what a good deal, perhaps from invoice, would be for this S40?

My guess would be invoice minus the $2500, plus about $500.00.

I hope to get the deal made tomorrow. Thanks!
  • Volvo does have a manufacturer to dealer incentive of $1000 right now, probably available to most dealers that they can pass on to the customer. Dealer told me yesterday the m.f. is about .00196, another dealer told me the residual is about 50%.
  • Ok... narrowed it down to this:

I'm in the Twin Cities area and
    plan on making an offer tomorrow for:

2006 VOLVO S40 2.4i with:

Blue Metallic Paint
    MC577 Select Package
    TMP086 5-Speed Automatic Transmission
    MC578 Sport Package
    MC580 Climate Package

------------------------------
    MRSP 29,498
    INVOICE 27,568
    -----------------------------

I'm thinking of offering 26,500 as I know there are about $1500.00 in dealer incentives.
    Am I screwing myself?!??
  • I didn't get it for $26,500.

Finally settled for $27,218 - $350.00 under invoice. I was happy with that. I've only driven it about 10 miles, but so far so good!
  • Yes the S40 is a nice car. but you're in debt. Keep the cars, or sell one (yourself, not a trade) and pay down your loan before you even thing of buying a new car. FYI, stay away from leases. If you can't afford to buy an new car don't do it. Besides, you end up with nothing at the end and pay more in the long run.
  • Hey thanks, I appreciate it. Also, I too, realized that leasing is not the way to go for me... I drove an S40 T5 this weekend and man I love that car, but, I'm also thinking about waiting until some of the used ones hit the lot, that body style started in 2004.5 so I figure some used ones should start to hit the lots in the next 6 months or so. THANKS!
  • Congrats on your new car purchase! That brilliant blue IS Gorgeous!!
  • Hi everyone, I'm new to this board and am seriously cosidering an S40 T5 purchase. It's down to the Subaru WRX Limited (pretty much loaded w/leather) or the Volvo S40. The final decision will be made based on cost of the car. The Subaru will cost me about $27,500 OTD but if I wanted a similarly packaged Volvo, I think I'll be paying much more. What would a good deal on an S40 T5 auto/premium/sport/xenon equipped be OTD (tax here is 4.167%)? Any and all opinions/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance. eric