Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S40 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• umshbumshb Posts: 10
    these guys seem to be under the impression that they need to make a profit on these cars...sounds like they're getting them at the cost of invoice.

anyway, it's black t5 with premium package (well at least it's got the beige leather, sunroof, and power front seat). nothing else really regarding upgrades...not 17's...wired with the sirius, but not installed...no climate package, no navigation system, no premium headlights, no 6-cd changer.

pretty much a base t5 with spoiler, the power sunroof, leather, and power front seat w/ memory (premium package i assume).

oh, and i'm in alabama. since i am a college student, i wonder if they just think i don't know anything about these cars...i've already contacted dealerships around where i am in school (in florida).
  • mrrk47mrrk47 Posts: 104
    I don't think he's bluffin....some dealers don't believe in the "get the unit off our lot at any cost" mentality. When I was shopping for my 2.4i I had located 2 cars at 2 diff dealers one @23500 and one @21060(the one I eventually leased) I told the dealer with the higher price that another had offered me 21060 and she said you'd better snap that one up because we ain't doing that. Her whole message was that her dealership would rather make profit than match a volvo with a young customer who more than likely will buy more volvos as the years pass on (that's not exactly what she said ,but that's what I heard. Her actual words were "to not sell it just for the sake of gettin it off the lot". So, I ended up gettin 5400 under msrp and about 2500 under invoice and a very happy experience. You just have to find a dealer who places a higher priority on cust. service than profit( the S40's are probably loss leaders and XC90's are where there real money is. (I'm probably wrong about that, who am I? )
  • mrrk47's experience seems to be similar to mine. You just have to keep shopping dealers until you find the one that is willing to take the hit. I had to go all the way to Georgia from Texas b/c a dealer there was offering me monthly payments $50 less than the lowest TX dealer. Just keep searching and you'll find it.
  • umshb, try out Volvo of Athens (Georgia), they are willing to sink very low to get your business by the end of the month.
    hey thanks for the suggestion! i called them and yes, the deal was a lot better...$25799 (before tax and fees) for the same model.

of course i wasn't sure of our state sales tax, haha...for some reason i thought it was 8%...turns out it's 3.5% for autos.

so thats just a little under $27...not bad. didn't sound like he could go much lower...like when i said $25 flat, no was the answer.

hmmmm...
    Wow, just got an e-mail quote from a place near San Francisco:

Color: Black w/Beige Leather
    Equipment: Base w/Auto Trans
    Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price: $ 30075
    McKevitt Online discount: $ 5091
    McKevitt Internet price*: $ 24984

niiiiice
  • skwirlskwirl Posts: 4
    Nice price! Was that for a T5 or a T5 AWD?
    regular t5, but they also got a bunch of awd's for not much more.

it's good if you live in the california area...would be about $1500-$2000 to ship here (unless i decide to drive it back here).

i'm going to check out atlanta dealerships tomorrow.
    Ah, very cool. I'm in the market for a 2006 S40 T5 as well. I live in the Seattle area and I'm heading up to my local dealer tommorrow morning. Wonder what price he'll quote me.
    Hmmmm ..how'd you think to contact Mckevitt Volvo, that's where I got my 2.4i....I live 15 minutes fromthe dealership...try to get them to knock 6 grand off....they did 5400 for me. I bet if you tell em you'll hop an plane right away if they do 24 flat , they'll do it .
  • suspendmixsuspendmix Posts: 42
    hey you may also want to try royal motors in SF...thats where I got mine and was able to better mckevitt's quote for mine by about 1000 (500 less for volvo and 500 more for trade in). If you want my contact over there, email me...
  • jkaojkao Posts: 4
    Hey try and get it from southern cali. I was able to get T5's with preumium package for 25 flat. Tax, license, etc. and extended warranty to 100,000 miles for 29. The MSRP was 31655, but i got it for 25000! That was a 6655 discount!
    Hey maybe he should Olympus Mons Volvo on MARS, they'll probably give him the non-oxygen discount before he dies from lack of it...haha, everybody and their dog telling this guy to go to their Volvo dealer. Question has any ffigured out why our S40's gather so much brake dust on the rear wheels???
    I just got back from a dealer in Washington State.

They had a 2006 S40 T5 automatic with Climate, Premium, Audio, and Convenience packages for $28,500. Would not go lower.

Does this sound like a good deal? MSRP originally in the $33,000s.

I've called a few other places and some mentioned that if I had a costco card, I could get $400 over the invoice price. Worth it?
  • donthegreekdonthegreek Posts: 126
    Hey guys, whats a fair price for the extended warranty to 100,000 miles???

Thanks,
    don
  • suspendmixsuspendmix Posts: 42
    i just did a carsdirect.com quote for a seattle zip code (not sure where in wash u are) and for your config it comes back 29138 as the target price and invoice is 31288...take your quote and shop it around....
    well i got a quote for $27000 out the door (tax and fees included) from a place in ATL.

probably not the bet offer, but the best in the area. plus i havent seen this particular one in person.

but i drove the same exact one here in town, but got it for $1600 less.

oh well.
    Where did all the posts go?
  • I've test driven the S40 now on four occasions (2.4 and T5 both in automatic). I want to love this car, I really do, but the pedal positioning drives me crazy. My foot keeps on catching between the gas and the break. I've tried sandals, sneakers, and dress shoes (I'm only about a size 10.5 to 11). Heck the assistant sales manager at one dealership lent me one of his dress shoes to try to persuade me my shoes are big...how's that for service. ...oh and I shudder to think if I had winter boots on...baby you're going to need that traction control! Me thinks the designer of this car had feet like goldilocks...sadly this is a show stopper for me. (here's a hint to Volvo...get your tape measure out and compare your pedal distance with the S60...much better.) I have never experienced this problem with a car before. Heck even a Honda Civic has decent pedal room...too bad guys...an otherwise enjoyable car.
  • ya...i've had it for bout 3 weeks now and i've got size 9 feet and i do notice if im not paying attention somewhat that i'll catch the edge of the brake...its not too annoying for me tho but i have to admit the thought has hit me of my foot getting stuck in between when i'm trying to emergency brake...wonder if i can sue volvo if that happens and i can't stop?

hahahaa...ya, i guess everyone got thier vovlos? i wonder if people are getting better deals? i love my 2.4 but i'm kind of regretting the auto...off the line pick up definately leaves a lot to be desired...but i sit in traffic when i'm driving so i guess off the line pick up doesn't matter 90% of time?