Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S40 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• hehe, you guys are making me feel like I got the deal of the century. I am not lying to you. Thats the price of the car. Minus Sales Tax in my area and Destination fee. Also don't forget I ordered a 2.4i manual, not a T5 Manual.
  • 7,000 miles - leather, moonroof for $20,000 (could save another $1000 by not taking a two year warranty extension beyond the 4 1/2 years mfg warranty available). A good deal? {previous female owner got pregnat and switched to a wagon).
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    Sounds good to me, especially if the price includes the extended warranty.
  • I'm thinking of leasing a T5. Does anyone know how Volvo's leases are looking these days?
  • Was offered the following today:

-2005 S40 T5
    -Automatic Transmission
    -Black
    -Premium Package
    -Audio Pacakge
    -Climate Package

for $27,700.

Any thoughts on how that stacks up? Thanks much!
  • <sound of crickets>
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,913
    Hi Rickster - looks like we don't have many S40 shoppers. You might have a look for a good discussion on our Smart Shopper board - i see you found the lease questions discussion, but there are several others that might be appropriate.

kirstie_h

Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Wow, that was fast. Thanks.
  • bluewolfbluewolf Posts: 101
    I'm considering an S40 along with the Saab 9-3 Linear or 9-2X.

But I'd need to keep a 2.4i pretty stripped to make it 'affordable'. Manual tranny, maybe sport package or Xenons, that's about it.

Great looking car though, and I'd feel comfortable with my family in a Volvo.

Is $500 over invoice reasonable on a new S40/V50 right now, or will deals get better toward summer '05?
  • Is $500 over invoice reasonable on a new S40/V50 right now, or will deals get better toward summer '05?

I believe that you can do better- I have a standing offer from a local dealer for $2050 under invoice for a S40 2.5T. Volvo incentive for Dec. was $1850. I think the regular S40 is $1500 for December.

I just bought a 2004.5 S40 2.5T with premium, audio, sport, climate, Tcontrol- for $26K not including 6.5% sales tax, title and doc fee.
  • Even though it is not listed on Edmunds, I believe there is some kind of dealer incentive in the $1500-2000 range on T5s right now. I just bought a 2005 T5 with premium, audio, climate and bi-xenons for $27.8.

Why would deals be better in the summer than they are right now when there are these incentives, dealers need to make numbers, and showroom traffic is slow because of the holiday season?

Regardless, it's a wonderful car -- far more refined, sporty and solid than any Saab I've ever been in. Handling is wonderful, power is great, turbo-lag is minimal and the sound system rocks my world. Why wait?
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,035
    Why would deals be better in the summer than they are right now when there are these incentives, dealers need to make numbers, and showroom traffic is slow because of the holiday season?

IIRC, the Volvo model year ends pretty early - around May and the next year's model starts rolling in around July hence the potential for better deals in the summer.
  • creakid1creakid1 Posts: 2,032
    "I'm considering an S40 along with the Saab 9-3 Linear or 9-2X.

But I'd need to keep a 2.4i pretty stripped to make it 'affordable'. Manual tranny, maybe sport package or Xenons, that's about it."

They're all bad choices! The 9-3 is good for nothing -- neither comfy nor great handling -- & only excels in crash tests like the side-curtain head protection. Both the 9-3 & all Volvo's excel in whiplash protection. The new S40 probably beats any Saab in driver's-legs protection for head-on's 'cause even the S60 can't match.

The 9-2X is a Subaru that rides less comfy than the AWD S40/V50 while handles hardly better -- see Motor Trend.

& the new S40 rides comfortably as long as you slow down on the deep ones such as speed bumps.

But once you add the stupid sport suspension, the ride will suffer so badly you might as well get the Mazda3 2.3 that revs less noisy than the S40 2.4i's 5-cyl.

& for someone w/ limited budget like you, is the bi-xenon worth the extra $? I chose to get the '05 Focus ST 2.3(Mazda engine) & found the low beam very good as long as the std fog lights are aimed at the same level.
  • creakid1creakid1 Posts: 2,032
    It would be the DSTC. This legendary "Focus ESP" system does not intrude into your performance-handling driving style. So you are not likely to turn it off.

It does help you on slick unfamiliar curvy roads, especially in the dark w/ limited visibility.
  • As a first time buyer, I'm looking for a little advice.

I'm commissioning in the Air Force this coming May and need some wheels. I've been looking around at the T5 and was wondering if it's wishful thinking to get this car, equipped with leather, heated seats, and a moonroof for $25,000 total (includiing tax, title, tags)? So far USAA has offered me 3.59% financing. What's the chance of this happening?
  • nopsamnopsam Posts: 2
    I've been shopping for a lease on a 2005 S40 about a 10 days and finally signed the contract yesterday. I was originally looking for a manual 2.4i with a moonroof, but this turned out to be very hard to come by in the LA area (I tried 4 dealers). My only option was to have a dealer install an aftermarket moonroof or go with an automatic.

I ended up with a T5 with 6 speed manual, Premium package, Convenience Package, Audio Package (Premium) and the Sports Package. Oddly, my price on this was LOWER than for a basic 2.4i with an aftermarket moonroof! Must be some good dealer incentives on the T5 right now.

I paid $3500 down, then $259.66/mo + tax for 36 mo with 12k/yr, $.18 per mile over.

Best quote I got on a 2.4i with premium package was $2000 down, 284.55 + tax for 39 mo with 12k/yr.

Pretty happy with the T5, even if it is more car than I wanted!
  • hi everyone.. i'm hoping to buy a s40 in a few months..

robr2, or anyone that might know: when was the 2005 released? i'm hoping (as you mention) to get a better deal on a 2005 when next year's models roll in .. i called a dealership and was told that these cars were *just* released. i dont think i could wait nearly another year!

also: should i expect to have good rates on car insurance owning a volvo, considering they are reknowed for safety?

thank you in advance!!!

-andrea
  • I have had good experience with insurance and the S40. It replaced a 2000 Passat and my insurance went down.
  • scott31scott31 Posts: 280
    Never EVER put $$$ down on a lease.
  • Just picked up a V50 in New Hampshire for $30257- Could've gotten it a bit cheaper from a non local dealer, but this price is fair.

Included T5 AWD, Premium package, Climate, Metallic Paint.

Drove it to Maine and back - really comfortable and a blast to drive. Was driving a Legacy - looked at Outbacks and Passats - Glad I decided to go with the V50
  • scott31scott31 Posts: 280
    Has anyone gotten a new S40 via overseas delivery recently? How was it?
  • After having xenons on my Audi, they were a must on my S40. I think that they're great! By the way, I am very pleased with my S40 awd 6-speed. While it's not a hot rod, it is a beautifully constructed car and a joy to drive daily! beaunedoc
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Has anyone recently bought any variant of the S40 in Western Canada? Any factory cash incentives? Are dealers eager to deal?
  • Hey ppl,

I'm about ready to buy an S40 T5. I've read a little about the delivery abroad program and spoke with the Volve rep at the recent Auto Show here in town.

I'd like to get this list of info or the links to where I can find it myself:

I was told the mark off on S40s on Overseas Deliveries is 8% of RETAIL. Is this correct?

Are prices negotiable on Overseas Delivery cars?

What are some prices paid on Automatic, Select Package T5s?

Thanks in advance!
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,035
    Check out www.volvocars.us and look for the overseas delivery program.

You get appx 8% off the list of the base vehicle and all options are MSRP. Volvo throws in 2 tickets to Sweden and one night stay along with transfers.

Typically prices are non-negotiable since the dealer is paid a flat amount by Volvo for processing the order. Also, the 40 and 50 series is a low profit vehicle.

Good luck.
    We've also got a European Delivery discussion that you might find helpful.

kirstie_h

Roving Host

Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• i have a deal on the table for my wife, any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

No money down, 355/month for 36 months at 15k.

Silver

automatic

2.4i

moonroof

t-tec seats

*select package, i believe is what they call it.

Thanks in advance
    Hi acenhole - you didn't mention the selling price or MSRP of this car. These are important for you (and us) to know for two reasons. First, the selling price of a leased vehicle can be negotiated, just as if you were purchasing it. Without knowing this car's selling price in relation to its MSRP you don't know how much of a discount you are getting on it. The second reason is that one needs the selling price and MSRP, including the destination charge, of a vehicle to calculate the lease payment.

kirstie_h

Roving Host

• MSRP: 28420

Sale price: 23000 destination charge included.

Residual: 14120

Lease payment: 355

36 months

15k miles

thanks for your feedback.
    So basically, you are financing $8,880 over three years (23000 - 14120). Without including interest & taxes (assuming they're rolled into the payment), your payment would be $247/month. If sales tax is included in the $355 monthly rate, it seems like a good deal. If it doesn't include sales tax, then you should be aware that you're paying about a 7% interest rate.

kirstie_h

Roving Host

This discussion has been closed.