Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• spmrebelspmrebel Posts: 130
    Hi all,

I got a tip from Douglas Hyundai in Santa Ana, CA that Hyundai would have an 07 Elantra on display at the auto show. Anyway, I got free tickets so I decided to check it out.

They had 2 07 Elantras and none of them were on pedestals so I could walk around, touch them and sit in them. They had an Azera on a rotating pedestal was really making it the bright spot for the Hyundai booth. A lot of people were interested in the Azera and the little Elantras didn't have a lot of people around them.

There was a Red Elantra GLS base with stick and no radio or AC! I don't think this will be very popular model here in southern CA. I really can't believe Hyundai can sell such a decontented Elantra.

The second Elantra was Black Pearl Limted with Auto. It had all options except the moonroof and sound package. When I first saw it I was like this looks really good. My girlfriend really liked it in Black Pearl and said it looked really upscale and sharp. I agree. It soothed my dislike for the Corolla inspired front end and Passat/Corolla inspired rear end. The fit and finish was top notch and equal to the best in its class. The paint seemed a lot better than the current generation as the application was more uniform and much thicker. Black Pearl or dark colors tend to show paint process defects quite noticeably. Of course there was none on both Elantras. The engine was definitely the Beta II with some minor modifications in plumbing and air intake. Looks like the oil filter will be a little easier to get to. The engine sits much lower than the current gen Elantra's and it seems to have much more room to put a larger engine in there should the need arise. Also, the car is wider about an inch and taller by nearly 2 inches. Length is nearly the same. My impression was that it didn't seem any larger than the current generation (thank god). I really like the style or the 16" rims. Much better than the 15" on the current GTs.

The best part of the Elantra was the interior. It seemed that Hyundai really put most of the effort in the interior. The interior is top notch in ergonomics and most things are logically located and within easy reach so you don't have to look down much. The materials and workmanship in my opinion is better than 2006+ Honda Civic and at least equal to Madza 3. In fact it seems of higher quality than Sonata and is best in class. In fact, it made the interior of the Sonata extremely bland. I am glad they have the rear tray for the back seats. The interior was tan with leather with dark gray dash. Very classy. The leather was a significant improvement to the GTs. It looked more like real leather.

My biggest gripe with Hyundai was since they raised the price so much (3K over similiar optioned GT) I was hoping they would have automatic climate control and navigation as options. I thought that since they are now targeting a more upscale compact market that they would be trying to compete with the Honda Civic EX with Nav or Mazda 3 with Nav.

I just got a call from the Santa Ana dealer and they said an 07 Elantra has just arrived. The salesman mentioned to me that it rides noticeably quieter than the current generation Elantra - he mentioned that this was the first thing he really noticed as being significantly better.

If the rebates come in I think I will definitely be looking at the Elantra as my next new car.

Happy Motoring
  • doohickiedoohickie Posts: 949
    The salesman mentioned to me that it rides noticeably quieter than the current generation Elantra - he mentioned that this was the first thing he really noticed as being significantly better.

When I was looking last year, the outgoing Elantra was already best in class for its quiet ride, in my opinion. That's what sold the car to me over the Focus. So if the new one is even better.... wow.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,727
    Thanks for the detailed report! Your comment about the room in the engine bay is interesting. I have been thinking that an Elantra GT could get the 2.4L engine from the Sonata. Since it gets 34 mpg in the heavier Sonata, it should do well in economy while providing plenty of oomph for a car the size of the Elantra. I can dream anyway. :)
    Actually, germancarfan1 has posted multiple times about the wheel shimmy problem on his Elantra. And maybe other problems too but I don't recall.
  • Okay, this really threw me for a loop, but there's a black 2007 Elantra in my local Hyundai dealership's lot.

I drive by my Hyundai dealership (Northwest Indiana) about once a week. It's a nice new dealership, but the stock is always quite small. I've been looking at Accent SEs and they never have more than one at a time, so I drive by to see if the stock changes. Anyway, I drove by tonight at 9:30pm after I got out of class. At first it didn't really register when I saw the car against the side of the building, but then I realized "Holy crap, that's the new Elantra."

I parked and ran up around the gates and it's a 2007 Elantra GLS with Automatic and the Preferred Package. It's freezing cold here tonight, plus they were closing up and asked me politely to leave, but I'm almost positive the preferred package was $1750. The car really does look nice in person. The interior is nice, the backseat looks roomy, and the rear reminded me more of a smaller Sonata than the current Corolla. Although I looked at the radio and didn't see any auxiliary input jack -- didn't the press release say there's one with the preferred package? Maybe it's in the glove box or something.

You all need to check your dealer stock! I'm gonna try to test drive it tomorrow.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    The aux jack probably isn't in the glove box, but it may be someplace that is not plainly obvious when you look through the window.
  • grutzagrutza Posts: 52
    build and price

go to vehicles
    build a car
    Hyundai
    Elantra
  • According to the Elantra Club posting the Aux jack is: "under the center dash facia between the two power outlets. this is right below the AC controller. there will be radios offered that will also have inputs directly on the radio panel. that depends on the various models of radios offered."
    See here:
    http://www.elantraclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10319&st=12
  • Ah-ha. Neat! I like the idea of the jack being low on the console versus going up to the radio. A cleaner look.
    From the linked thread; this is apparently from a sales brochure:

• nobienobie Posts: 10
    Invoice prices and TMV are up on edmunds website
    I remember someone saying they asked a Hyundai dealership a few weeks ago when would the 2007 Elantras would be in and the dealership informed him it would be January (so don't bother waiting).
    They're hitting Canadian dealerships as we speak. I've seen several posts on other forums by people who've seen and test driven them. Let's just say.... they are not the same as the current generation of Elantra.

I think they will sell well, but not for the same reasons as the current Elantra. The outgoing model has a very classy, distinctive style. You might or might not like it, but it stands out. The new Elantra will be totally anonymous on the road. Everyone who sees one in the flesh remarks how much it strikes them like some other car- a Jetta, a Sonata, a Corolla. Hyundai's been doing so well with rollouts lately- putting out some great stuff- but I can't say I would even consider the new Elantra until after its first update to adjust the exterior style.
  • luvmbootyluvmbooty Posts: 271
    ...will Hyundai come out with hatch version? How long till crash tests are out?

If crash tests are decent and there is a hatch version I'll buy Elantra. If not I'm buying 07 Sonata GLS!
    That was me, based on a discussion I had with a sales rep who had just come out of an update on the new Elantra. I also recall when the Azera and 2007 Accent hatchback came out each dealership had one car for demos for a few weeks. It's possible that is what is happening now, at least in the U.S. It's also possible the pipeline of 2007 Elantras firmed up faster than was expected.
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    The Elantra sedan should arrive in the showrooms for the US market sometimes this month (Oct. 06)

The Elantra hatch replacement is about a year away. If you need a car within the next six months, your best bet would be at a Sonata.
    That's possible, but I've found dealers often give far away dates to new models whether they now the real date or not, just as a way to encourage people to buy what they have today rather than wait for what's around the corner.
    When I ask a salesmen what's new about the next years model, they often say something like, "It will be about the same, buy it will cost more."
  • Seriously? I couldn't wait for the Elantra to be restyled. Like the Sentra, it's looked old and outdated for practically 5 years. The exterior may be a little more "anonymous" now, but the interior's so much nicer, I don't care.
    I agree, except in this case I made it clear to the sales rep that I was a current customer who had just come in for an oil change and was poking around the showfloor while my car was in the shop, and I would not be buying a car anytime soon. He was also clearly frustrated by the delay in getting the new Elantra, and was discussing that issue with another sales rep while I was there. So I suppose he could have just been a great actor and was hoping against hope that just because the 2007 Elantra was delayed a couple of months, that would cause me to buy a car that day, but I doubt it.
    Yeah, seriously. The fact that the outgoing generation is dated doesn't bother me too much; if I like a car's styling, it kind of fixes itself in my mind as timeless. I still love the styling of the old Dodge Dart I used to have, and I still think my wife's 03 Taurus looks sharp for a family sedan. Maybe once I see the new Elantra for myself I'll change my mind, but from what I've seen and read, I wouldn't go out of my way to buy the new generation Elantra.

I'm a hatchback guy anyway, so I need to wait for a hatch (or wagon) version to come out, and my current Elantra is barely broken in. So I'd probably wait for the update (probably for 2010 model year) anyway.

My current Elantra is my first Hyundai. Based on my experience, my opinion of Hyundai has gone up considerably. But I expect that when I replace my current ride, I'll start with a clean sheet of paper and try to get the best car for the money I will be spending. We'll see what's in Hyundai's lineup then.

I may be leaning toward a sport coupe next time around anyway.
  • tsgeiseltsgeisel Posts: 352
    I know the feeling. I like the fact that the styling on my Elantra Hatch makes it look like a Saab, as opposed to just another 4-door sedan - for better or worse.

The interior doesn't bother me at all - I'm not even sure what "modern styling" means to a car; I had my last one for nearly 10 years before getting this one.

My next car is probably going to be a Miata, frankly. Because sometimes utility is overrated.
    Lately, "modern" interior means more hard plastic and fewer seat adjustments (which is true on the 2007 Elantra). But it also means generally more room, a more streamlined dash, and some additional features like aux inputs, curtain airbags, rear center armrests, lighted vanity mirrors, steering-wheel controls, and (eventually) XM radio. So I guess it's a tradeoff.

The additional interior features of the 2007 Elantra are more important to me than whether it looks "newer" than the inside of the old Elantra.
  • tsgeiseltsgeisel Posts: 352
    Well, I've got plenty of room in my 2k5 version - but, then, I'm short. The airbags are nice, and an aux input on the radio would be killer, but that's about all I need. Rear center armrests aren't even an option on the hatch, so that's not a concern.

I'm just not a mainstream buyer. I've come to accept this.
  • You seem to be forgetting about all of the extra cup holders.
    ;) ;) ;) ;)
    Edmunds.com has invoice pricing now. If you select every possible option on the Limited, it tops out at $19,910.

Here's what they have to say about the 2007 Elantra:

Pros: Long list of standard features, comfortable interior with lots of storage, generous warranty.
    Cons: Engine lacks midrange pep, floaty highway ride with base suspension, hard to find equipped with ABS.
    Summary: With its low price, roomy cabin and above-average materials, the Elantra is still worth a try if you're looking for value in a small sedan or hatchback. Keep in mind, however, that newer competitors have moved ahead of it in performance and overall refinement.

Hmmm... ABS is standard, and there is only one suspension on the 2007 Elantra. And it's the newest car in its class save for the Sentra. Maybe Edmunds should update their comments on the Elantra to reflect the 2007 Elantra--not the 2006 model. :surprise:
    Sounds like they copied and pasted 2006 info.
    Not valid.
    The sedans are definitely at some dealers now, although in limited quantities. For example, my local dealer got two in the other day, a SE AT and GLS AT with Preferred Package, and told me these are all they will get for 6-8 weeks (that was after I told them I was in no hurry to buy). This is similar to what Hyundai did with the Azera and Accent late last year.

As for the hatch, this same dealer told me that the hatches would be available as early as this January. Take that for whatever you want, but that's what the sales rep said.

As for crash tests, the NHTSA tests should be available pretty soon because their web site says "to be rated" and it's a fairly popular car. The IIHS frontal test scores should be here soon also, since Hyundai can run those themselves and report the scores to the IIHS. The side and rear tests would need to be done by the IIHS so they could take awhile to show up.
  • I live in California, a low-emissions state. I checked edmunds.com and it looks like the SULEV engine, which I would presume to be the engine for vehicles sold in California, will only be available with an automatic transmission. Does anyone here or in the other low-emissions states like New York, Massachusetts, etc., have any info on this? I'd really prefer a manual.
  • I saw a Sentra today while buying a used car at a Nissan dealer today. One of the salesman was complaining because the initial Sentras they had were $19K and he was really pissed about it. He told me they are going to be 'outpriced and out-gunned by the Koreans'.
    He also told me that ever single one of their Maximas they sold this year req'd the whole sub-frame to be removed due to a recall and a ton of Altima engines recalled. He IS NOT IMPRESSED WITH NISSAN and blames Renault.
    With the 2007 Elantra and Sentra the two newest cars in their class, that's a natural for a comparo discussion, isn't it? ;)

backy, "2007 Hyundai Elantra vs. 2007 Nissan Sentra" #1, 15 Oct 2006 6:09 pm
This discussion has been closed.