Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• Maybe I'm wrong here, but I thought Hyundai and kia are two seperate companies (unlike, say, ford/mercury)

Nope, Hyundai owns Kia and has since around late 1998. Here's a link to an old article about that.

Hyundai buys Kia
  • gy563gy563 Posts: 44
    5-door model or hatchback is to be out in Korea around June or July so expect it to come in United States around October or November.
  • Do you think the forthcoming liftback will have electronic stability control, or at least traction control, as an option? I'm surprised Hyundai doesn't offer these features on its new Elantra. Hyundai is working on including these improvements sometime in future, but there's been no word as to when. :confuse:

Cheers...

Peace! :shades:
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    A prediction: Hyundai will make ESC (with traction control) an option on the Elantra in the U.S. (it's already available in some other countries) if it achieves Good ratings on the IIHS side and rear tests, because then it would get the IIHS' "Gold" award.

Consider that no other cars in the Elantra's class (moderately-priced compacts) offer ESC standard, and few offer it as an option. So Hyundai could stand out in the crowd by adding it to the options list.
    I just noticed HMA increased the general rebate on the '07 Elantra to $1000, with the $500 loyalty rebate still in place. If someone is lucky enough to live near a city with an auto show that gives out the $500 rebate coupons (e.g. Minneapolis, Chicago, and NYC have done this in the past), it would be pretty easy for a current Hyundai owner to get $3000 off a new Elantra. Just think, a nicely-equipped Elantra SE for around $13.5k + T&L... not a bad deal for that kind of car IMO.
  • nodulenodule Posts: 118
    Backy, just out of curiosity, how do you come up with 3000.00
    off? Should that be 1500.00 off?
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,680
    Its new math.

Now how did you come up with $1,500? A general rebate of $1,000 a loyalty rebate of $500 and a $500 rebate coupon from the car show adds up to $2,000.

Math classes start at 5 PM. :P

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

• nthenthe Posts: 414
    the rebates add up to $2k, then get the dealer to knock off $1k, and there is your $3k off.
  • I hope you're right in your prediction, backy...
    I really like the new Elantra, and I look forward to the liftback model when it makes it debut in the U.S..I just hope Hyundai wakes up to the fact that if it does get to feature ESC (with traction control) with both sedan and liftback it WILL set itself apart from the rest of the pack, as U said. ;)

Cheers...

Peace! :shades:
  • I am interested in purchasing the Elantra but I feel TCS/ESP is a requirement. Why would Hyundai choose to take out the TCS/ESP feature on the US builds? :confuse:

Looking at their International site, they feature the TCS/ESP with an animation sequence. Is is a cost issue (getting near Sonata pricing) or something else?
    Yes, you are absolutely right. The markup over invoice on the Elantra SE is about $1000, so a Hyundai owner buying a '07 Elantra SE around invoice could save about $3000, including one of the $500 auto show rebate coupons.

For those with the wisecracks about math... if you want to buy your Elantras at full MSRP less rebates, go right ahead.
    I think it is a comparative price/cost issue vs. Sonata. The Elantra is a very large car for many foreign markets, and people there may have no problem paying for features like ESC, auto climate control, and navigation since it might be their only car. But in the USA the Elantra is considered an "economy car". FWIW, a local dealer advertised no-money-down leases on the Sonata GLS at $199/mo. this weekend, and the Elantra GLS at $209/mo. (!). That would be a no-brainer for the Sonata to me.

Also consider no other cars in the Elantra's class have both TCS and ESC/ESP standard, and almost none offer ESC as a readily-available option. You can get it fairly easily as on option on the Rabbit and Jetta, although those cars in 4-door form will cost quite a bit more than the Elantra. VSC is available on the Corolla, at least in theory, but when I've gone to toyota.com to spec one with VSC, only the top-trim, fully-loaded LE model was available with VSC. And you have to get one of the upper-trim Mazda3's to get ESC on that. ESC isn't even available on the Civic, Sentra, Focus, or Cobalt. I think it may be available on the Caliber.

What other cars are you looking at that have TSC and ESC readily available?
  • I enjoy Edmunds vehicle comparison feature, but I am a bit confused when doing a comparison of some small cars:

Edmunds "cons" for the Mazda 3 S say it has "tight rear legroom" with 36.3 in. rear-legroom spec., but under "pros" for the Hyundai Elantra SE they say that the Elantra, with only 35 in. rear-legroom spec, has an "adult-friendly backseat"

Furthermore, the Honda Civic LX is listed with only 34.6 rear-legroom, less than either other car, but Edmunds doesn’t fault it for "tight rear legroom"...

Are the interior specs wrong? How is this rated? Who measures this stuff? How should all this conflicting data be interpreted?
  • I assume that different people rated them.I guess they didnt check the actual specs.I was going to buy the Elantra Ltd,but when I couldn't find one,I got impatient and bought a KIA Optima.Boy,am I sorry :sick:
    "FWIW, a local dealer advertised no-money-down leases on the Sonata GLS at $199/mo. this weekend, and the Elantra GLS at $209/mo. (!). That would be a no-brainer for the Sonata to me. "

the 199 sonata lease is a national hyundai special, and it is with $999 due at signing.
    "Edmunds "cons" for the Mazda 3 S say it has "tight rear legroom" with 36.3 in. rear-legroom spec., but under "pros" for the Hyundai Elantra SE they say that the Elantra, with only 35 in. rear-legroom spec, has an "adult-friendly backseat" "

my only quess is that edmunds is looking at hip, shoulder, and head room in addition to the rear leg room for the elantra.
    The HMA lease program on the Sonata is with money down, but that doesn't stop individual dealers from offering better terms, e.g. the no-money-down deal I saw advertised. A correction on the Elantra GLS lease deal I mentioned above: it was actually $219/month with no money down, or $20 more than the Sonata GLS! Obviously the Sonata lease is subsidized more by Hyundai than the Elantra lease.
    Inches don't tell the whole story. Other things like the height and angle of the seat cushion and the amount of toe space are important also. Go sit in a Civic, Elantra, and Mazda3 back-to-back-to-back (like at an auto show) and you'll find that the Mazda3 does feel the tightest in back compared to the other two, and the Civic feels like it has more legroom than it should have based on the numbers. And the Elantra feels the roomiest of all, probably because it has a high cushion and good toe space under the front seats. Also the Elantra's cabin is pretty wide for a compact car.
  • Actually, I am looking at the Elantra vs Sonata. I now live downtown (city life) and currently have a 2005 Impala. I would like to downsize to a smaller (small midsize) car. I like the Elantra for all the reasons discussed on this forum. I am not looking for an econo-box and my wife wants the Limited, so who am I to disagree. My problem is that I want to be as safe as possible given the current state of the industry. The Sonata has TCS/ESP and now that I know that the Elantra 'could' have it, if I get it I will feel that I 'cheated' myself everytime I get behind the wheel.

I would purchase the Tucson but for the fuel economy. I want to average over 30 Mpg.

Backy, I guess I am just venting :cry: as I feel that the Elantra is a perfect fit and I would get one if it had the TCS/ESP. I can keep my Impala unitl next year and absorb some more depreciation in the hopes that the Elantra will be offered with TCS/ESP in 2008. The Sonata is larger than I need and I do not care for the dash materials and layout. I am concerned that 'external' events may cause gas prices to go up and I want to have a fuel efficient vehicle while keeping comfort features. If the 2008 Elantra has the 'world' engine and TCS/ESP along with 40mpg, I will be a genius for waiting. ;)
    My problem is that I want to be as safe as possible given the current state of the industry.

What about passive safety also (crash safety)?. I don't think there is a car today that costs under $20k that meets your requirements, if you include crash safety. The Rabbit/Jetta come closest (ESC available, very good crash test scores) but you won't average 30 mpg in those unless you wait for the diesel version. The Corolla can be had with VSC but it's rare, and the IIHS side impact crash score with optional side bags is mediocre. The Sonata has only a mediocre score on the IIHS side impact crash test also, and I doubt you will average 30 mpg in that either unless you get an I4 and run it on the open road all the time. The Tucson does not have very good crash safety either. Other mid-sized cars like the Accord and Camry are pricey with ESC, e.g. the Accord comes with ESC only in V6 trim. One car that would meet all your requirements is the Camry Hybrid, but that starts around $25k. The Sonata is reported to be getting a new dash for 2008, and I wouldn't be surprised if Hyundai addressed its side crash test scores. Another option to look at if you haven't already is the Optima--it has ESC available, but the IIHS side impact crash test score hasn't been reported yet (same as for the Elantra). But the Optima's fuel economy won't be much different than the Sonata's (maybe a little better with the 5-speed automatic on the I4).

Life is full of compromises!

It sounds like you don't have to buy a car right now. If did, you could buy a used car that holds its value well, maybe a Civic or Accord, and then sell it in a year or two when your "perfect" car appears. With ESC becoming more common on cars, you should have more choices in a year or two--and maybe the Elantra! :)
This discussion has been closed.