Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saab 9-3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• The deal was a new car.
    It was not a pleasant transaction which was closed at the end of September. I do think you can get a simlar or better deal, even the manager and the salesman said they couldn't do it better than that. BTW, the salesman wasn't happy at all, and I don't think he would like his name posted.
    Good Luck.
  • 2004 Saab 9-3 Arc + metallic paint + automatic + sunroof + touring + xenon + cold. MSRP = $36,175.

Purchased new off the lot in September for MSRP - $6,485 = $29,690. Fairly relaxed negotiation. SF bay area.
  • We don't allow salespeople's names to be posted here anyway - just dealership names/city/state.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• daddyddaddyd Posts: 22
    That is a good price!

I bought a black '04 9-3 linear in February of 2004 for about $23K. It's a stick and has the winter package and the nicer wheels.

I really love the car. Very solid and less trouble that the Audi A4 I owned before. The bummer is that I have to sell it now because my family is growing so we have to buy a minivan....I wonder how easy it'll be to sell.
  • jbaerjbaer Posts: 45
    I am in the market for leasing a 2005 9-3 linear and have been told that Saab is giving $2500 leash cash. Does anyone know of this deal? Does this mean you get $2500 off whatever price you negotiate? Also what are people getting a base 2005 linear without any extras for these days? I saw one post for 23k which is about $3k off invoice. Is this the norm? Thanks in advance !
  • hhwhhw Posts: 1
    I can't decide between the new 2005 Acura TSX and a 2004 9-3 with low mileage. I'd buy a 2004 TSX but I can't find one in my area.

I've always loved Saabs, but everyone I know who's owned one has told me to go with the TSX. Is buying the 9-3 a gamble? Also, since GM purchased Saab, are the maintence costs lower? My sister has a '95 Saab and every time she brings it in to get something fixed it costs her $500+.

Any feedback?

Thank you!
  • I have a 9-3 Arc and am very happy with it. A few minor problems, but with a free loaner when you take in for service, it's not a big deal, Mine is also an early 03 and many of the issues have been ironed out. Very fun car and great highway power. And the safety can't be beat. The TSX is a nice car, but it needs to be kept at high RPM's to make it's power. And I have heard the automatic is a bit sluggish (3300+ lb car, 166 max torque).
  • With all due respect to mrblonde.. He hasn't owned his car out of warranty or the free service yet.. Or, had to deal with the massive depreciation upon resale...

If you are interested in leasing, the Saab is a nice car, and relatively inexpensive... for the first three years, I would even recommend it..

But, if you want to own the car, I'd buy a new TSX... the '04s that I have seen for sale, don't come with a big enough discount to make them worth buying.. Plus, some '04s will be two years old in April, cutting down on the remaining warranty..

Just my $0.02,
    kyfdx

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• I paid $28900 for my car almost 2 years ago ($34K sticker). Decently high miles (35K). Private party sale price is currently listed around $20K, depending on the source. Not so bad. Remember, the actual depreciation is the difference in what YOU PAY and what you sell it for. Although every stated resource computes it as a % of sticker. If I compared it to sticker, my car is worth 59% of it's original value. Compared to what I paid, though, that figure is 69%. And in the case of the Saab, you are always getting a lot off sticker. Not so w/ Acura

To the original poster, I would suggest a back to back test drive of both cars. Each has plusses and minuses. Buy what makes you happy
  • mrblonde... that is good advice..

I didn't meant to rag on your car.. I think actual value will be less and actual depreciation will be greater than you estimate... but, that is only my opinion..

As you say, if it makes you happy, that is what counts...

regards,
    kyfdx

• SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    is about Prices Paid & Buying Experiences of a Saab 9-3. If you would like to talk comparisons of which vehicle to purchase, please use the pulldown menus to locate discussions about the vehicles you are considering and asking your comparison questions there.

Thanks!
  • niikiiniikii Posts: 3
    for $27,750.
    Base (Manual Trans.)+ Paint+ Sunroof+ Heated Seats. at Parkfield Motors in Bergenfield, NJ.
    The buying experience was okay, no complaints.

The car is great!!
  • shmaltzshmaltz Posts: 1
    Hi:

Can anybody relate new lease experiences? I have always bought used in the past. I'd like to know about your experiences with negotiated prices, money factor, residual, etc.

Thanks,

Shmaltz
  • I got my 9-3 Aero this year for $37,890. It's Flame Red Metallic with a Parchment interior. I am purchasing it, but I think a lease would be good, too. I just loved the car so I boght it.
  • go8go8 Posts: 58
    Yesterday, I leased a new 9-3 linear premium package/heated seats/chili pepper red. The money factor is low (.00011). The residual for 36 months is 48% with 10k miles. The deal I got was invoice minus 1000 gm cash minus 2700 lease incentive. I think the total lease incentive was 3500 so dealer kept 800. I was pleased. Money factor and residual can't be negotiated. Mileage will impact residual. More miles lower residual. I also asked dealer to roll tax and bank fee into lease because I wanted to minimize up front cash. It seemed to make sense since interest rate was about 0.26%.

Hope this helps.

Go8
  • kscctsksccts Posts: 140
    How about telling us what your payment is instead of having us run the numbers ourselves? Thanks!
    $349.50 for 36mths. Includes 6% NJ sales tax and $695 bank fee. Let me know if you see better. Thanks.

Go8
  • jbaerjbaer Posts: 45
    I think that is a pretty good deal. I am actually looking to lease a 9-3 linear as well and was hoping to be in the $300 ballpark. Was it fairly easy to get them to go to invoice? I heard the lease cash incentive on the 9-3 linear was $2500 and $3000 on the 9-5. I like the chili red too...didn't think I would like it until I saw it. Enjoy your car !
  • kyfdx%40Edmundskyfdx%40Edmunds Posts: 25,879
    That is a great deal...

For those that need 15K/year, add on about $30/mo..

The dealer pretty much started at invoice. He then took off 1000 GM cash and 2700 Saab incentive. There must be some hidden dealer benefits that I don't know about because if the forums are right he gave me everything and more.

Go8