Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saab 9-3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• i'm looking at a 2006 cpo 9-3 aero with 13k miles...

dealer has it listed at $18995 and says there's not much room as "they price competitively upfront"

i amthinking 17500 would be a deal...

any thoughts?

i'm having a hard time making a decision after seeing the big discounts on the 2008s though...
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    $17,500 is a fair price.

Offer $17,000 flat, then bump up to $17,500, and walk away at $17,750.

You could probably get into a new one for under $30K. Might be worth a look to try for an '08 or '09, which you could get with XWD if you wanted. (2009 V6 models come standard with XWD, though)
  • I paid $17,200 for a CPO 2006 Arc convertible three weeks ago. It does have a manual transmission and 21,500 miles.

Chris
  • This was one of the more interesting back and forth threads in a car forum site I've read in a long, long time. I understand where both of you are coming from. I understand why the multi-dealer site would be such a sensitive issue for someone who works at a local dealer. I could also see how the internet age has made it possible for one mega dealership to have such an impact on markets outside the area. I see the prices advertised, and I sure would use the number as a bargaining tool. As a buyer, I certainly feel the tension between wanting the best deal (on the one hand) and supporting folks who are trying to make a living (on the other). I've seen car salespeople play on this tension before, and it irked me-- this "we're going to lose money if we sell you this car." I actually had a saleperson tell me something about buying his newborn diapers or some such. The good faith negotiating should go both ways.

I don't know what to think. If I can get a 9-3 from the place in Chicago for $26K, and the more local dealership can't go lower than $28K, what should I do? $2k is a lot of money. Not too far different from the tension some people feel about shopping at Wal-Mart. I'm no fan of the rush to the lowest common denominator (dollars in your pocket) that seems to fuel "free market" capitalism, because "externalities" are so easily removed from the picture. I don't think I want a car distribution system that relies on a few mega-dealers, but they did find a way to sell saabs at cost (as loss leaders for other higher profit cars). Again, not sure what a responsible buyer is to do, but thanks for putting the matter out there, even if done with a little edge.
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,194
    Save 2k on the same car? Easy decision for me as long as they have the model equipped the way I want it. Feel guilty? Donate the 2k to a worthy charity. Win-win.
  • casdmgcasdmg Posts: 11
    Premium
    Navig
    Auto

Dealer offered me 35857 before tax tags

thoughts?
    You could probably go a little bit lower: I'd say into the $34 range, although I have found ads with several dealers listing "former GM Company Cars" (typically, Aero XWD models with Navigation) in the $35-$36 neighborhood, so you might want to give that a look...
  • i've had my eye on a 2008 sportcombi listed at 22,900 with 3k miles (former courtesy car)

until GM and the Swedes figure out what is going to happen with Saab i'm going to sit on the sidelines.
  • Local Saab dealer has a brand new '08 turbo X on the showroom floor. MSRP is a touch over $43,000. Window sticker says $37,000. Does anyone have real world prices as to what these beasts should bring?
    Judging from the ads I've seen all over eBay and Cars.com, I'd say closer to the $35K mark is realistic, assuming the car hasn't been titled as a GM company car or suffered hail damage, which I've seen some examples of both.

Maybe not exactly at $35K, but definitely closer to $35K than $37.

If you could take it home between $35,500 and $36,000, I'd say it's a pretty good deal.
  • Or.. .wait two years and buy it for $19,900?

Sorry... it's just stunning how cheap used Saabs are... :surprise:

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• saablcpsaablcp Posts: 195
    The missing part's of that" wait two years save 50% equation" are:First off ,the most obvious...two year old "anything's" cost less than a brand new "anything" doh!.A Turbo-x is a pretty high level performing vehicle....I'd be more comfortable saving on a two year old 2.0T.Much less chance of getting an abused vehicle,especially if we're talking 6 speed Man.Tranny.Secondly,You don't have the pleasure of driving this particular car for the two years your'e bidng your time.waiting for the depreciation to kick in. I bought a 42" Hitachi Plasma Screen tv in Dec.of 2002,I could have waited 6 years and bought a bigger model for less than half the $5,895.00 I paid in '02....but I would'nt been enjoying my HD tv in the interim period!
  • I know....

Started on the basement in May... thought I'd be getting a 46" LCD... By the time it was finished in December, I was able to get a better 52" model for less money... :)

But, when it comes to cars, having to have the latest and greatest model is a sure way to hurt your wallet...

I'm glad there are "early adopters", though... I like picking up where they leave off...

If you want a two year old car, no need to wait. Don't know about you but if I'm in the market for a used ride waiting two years for a particular model is way beyond my patience factor.
    My local dealer has closeout pricing on 08's. 10-12 grand. Just saw the ads this weekend.
  • yv27yv27 Posts: 3
    do you have a link or more specifics on 08 saabs?

thanks.
    True, but with the Turbo X, it might hold its value a little bit better than a garden variety 2.0T, especially given its limited production run.

I'm not saying the Turbo X would still be worth $35K in 2 years, but it probably won't be depreciated as much percentage-wise as a 2.0T would be.

Plus, for those 2 years, you don't know what that Turbo X has been doing.
    I will admit that a used Saab is a tantalizingly good value... Especially if you can find a CPO one from a dealer... I see CPO-ed '07 sedans in the $17-$19K range...
  • Thanks to everyone who replied. Car is still on the showroom floor. I told the sales dude I would pay the window sticker $36,811. Not we are trying to find agreement on my trade-in.
    It was a saab dealer in west st. louis county. You can google saab and find them. Contact the internet dept.
  • kyfdx%40Edmundskyfdx%40Edmunds Posts: 25,851
    Obviously, I have no idea what the actual resale will be...

But, usually, the highest-priced trim lines depreciate the most, percentage-wise, compared to the purchase price. Take a model that is selling closer to MSRP than it's dowdier siblings, and I think it's almost a sure bet.

If the Turbo-X turns out to be the most popular Saab, ever.. maybe it will be the exception.. but, that's not the way the smart money would bet.

I do agree, though... if that's the car you really want, no point in waiting on it..

regards,
    kyfdx