Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Solara

Comments

• Articbeauty
    The 4-Cyl is a very good engine and is fine for almost everybody. If you have a few extra bucks ($$$), the V6 is worth it to have and fun to drive with the manual shift feature. Both engine are very good.

Theflow
    I changed my oil at 2000 miles (probably don't need to) and 5000 miles and every 5000 miles after that. Old habit never die. For city driving only, I would consider every 3000 miles. With this interval, there is no need for synthetic oil. Definetely stay away from added on stuffs (Bad habit from yesterday technology). It will not help the engine but eat up the gasket over the long run.

I took the car to LA. It ran beautiful over the Grapevine (mountain). It cruise at 70 mph (4th gear maunual shift all the way up).
  • Okay, I know what a manual is. I know what an Automatic transmission is. But what is a "seqential" automatic transimission? Is it just a gimmick or does it do something that provides a benefit? I know stupid question.....but now I'll know.
  • z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    So called break in oil is a myth. If a manufacture really used break in oil / or had special additives - it would say something about it in the owners manual.

When an engine is first put together many of the parts are lubricated with special oil - this is so they are not dry during the first start up. I think this is how / why many people have the mistaken idea that the oil that comes from the factory is somehow special.
  • Thanks for the response guys.

I drive the car 1-3 times a week, usually during weekend when there's not much stop and go traffic on freeway. Each time I put at least 100 miles on it and I would say it's 77% freeway, 23% city driving. I have the car for 2 months and have 15xx miles on it. I drive it gently and don't floor the car too often. Given my driving habit, what do you guys think is the proper mileage for the first oil change? I'm not trying to be cheap on oil changes and I don't mind changing it frequently at 3K miles. But I just want to make sure I do it right for the first one.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 West coastPosts: 855
    ....V-6 Solaras mfg prior to '03 were manual/stick capable. C/D (9/99) pertains for the doubters not too burdened with traffic, bar-hopping and other dense population specifics.

Matthewh: In about a week, it's south toward the Grapevine. This time - per your post - I'll use 4th gear (it's an overdrive also) just for variety. Happy Holidays...ez
  • A Solara is worst than a Focus???

Actually, I'm glad you didn't buy it.
  • I thought all those Acura owners wouldn't even go into a Toyota dealership - let alone consider ordering one. What's the deal with that? If Snakerbill already drives the "PERFECT" Acura, I am surprised he would even consider the lowly Solara.

And I guess all those positive reviews by Edmunds, C&D, KBB are from a bunch of shills for Toyota.

Is Snakerbill an Acura salesman? I wouldn't be surprised.
  • Don't bother. Just ignore his comments. I think he more likely to be Honda dealer since the Solara's main competitor is Accord and it sell not as well as Solara. Just guessing. His last false comment that got a new Solara only show he is a big liar. Everyone in this topic for some time know he keep complaining his lemon '99 solara (I don't even think he has one). His comments on the Solara only negative never positive. And he will buy another Solara? Get a life Snakebill. There are so much thing you can do while making up story!
  • I think he got wrecked 99 Honda from a used auto body shop, except, they put the Solara skin on by mistake.
  • lumbarlumbar Posts: 421
    Haven't seen this in person, but the pictures indicate that the upper dash (i.e., above the "wood" on the SLE) is a charcoal color--unlike the darker interiors in which the upper dash -matches- the primary interior color. Frankly, I don't get this. Why mix and match? Love the inside otherwise.
  • Correction: Was misinformed about the TSB being issued. I'm a bit new to all this and now ready to ask more specific questions.

Called another Toyota dealership service rep today and asked for a left pull update. Unfortunately, there is no TSB yet.

However, they had 2 engineers from Toyota California head office in and they turned the strut supports about 1 inch counter clockwise then fitted on a new 3 dot camberbolt 90105A0005. They then realigned the vehicle to spec.

They have done this fix to 5 Solaras and 1 Camry and reported that they are all running dead solid perfect. Also, they now do this to every Solara they sell before it leaves the lot.

They faxed this fix to my dealership to have the work done on Monday.

Until then.....
  • Just got back from a one hour get together with a head mechanic at a private alignment shop. He said that the fix that I mentioned peviously (where the strut assembly is turned 1 inch counter clockwise with the new camber bolt and original alignment specs) is only masking the true underlying problem.

He advised me to be patient and wait for the official TSB to come out and begin the arbitration procedure at the same time (carrot and stick).

I'm cancelling my Monday morning appointment and making an appointment with the regional manager instead.

This beautiful car deserves to be fixed properly.
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Posts: 301
    Caster angle is what causes pulling issues in all vehicles and it sounds like they are making a change in that spec by rotating the upper mount and to me thats not masking the problem,it's a step in the right direction.People who are going for alignments and only getting toe/camber adjustments will not see an improvement on the pulling issue.This is my 2nd Solara (had a 00)and have never had any pulling problems...
  • ezshift5ezshift5 West coastPosts: 855
    (never any pulling probs since driving off showroom floor) 2000 Solara SE-V6 manual shift.

And still recording 31-33 highway fuel economy using cruise control/5th gear....happy h...ez
  • I'm considering installing a Cellport hands-free cell phone system in my 2000 V-6 SLE. Has anyone tore apart the dash/A pillar/roof lining to install a cell phone microphone, antenna or the like? Pictures would be useful :)

Thanks in advance.
  • s852s852 Posts: 1,051
    Why not follow the recommendations in the manual? If you feel you fall under the "severe" usage schedule, follow that oil change routine.
    Why someone would change the oil even more often than the severe schedule recommends (changing first oil at 500 or 1000 miles etc.), makes no sense. This is not 1970.
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Posts: 1,110
    I agree - just follow the oil change interval recommended in the manual. If you want to be on the safe side, follow the severe-use interval. Toyota has proven they build long-lasting engines.

But for other owners, the peace of mind is worth the more frequent changes, I guess. It's their time and money.
    Could you speculate on why the Edmunds editors don't share your opinion of the new Solara?

There are others as well, but I can't link from the site. Is everybody *else* wrong?
  • your posts/bio read an awful lot like a fella who used to post here - he wanted an Acura, but got a lemon Solara.

as a happy 200 Solara owner, i have to agree with The Flow - so your one bad experience with a car makes you hate the whole company? maybe you should take your bile someplace useful?
    I'm glad you clarified that for me--i.e., that your judgement about the Solara is based on a relatively brief experience with a *single* vehicle.

When you wrote this---

"Consider this; if Toyota allowed these cars to hit the street with a goofy front suspension, and a transmission that is not in sync with the engine and jerks through the gears, why would anyone buy one?"

---I was almost sure that you were making a sweeping generalization about all Solaras. I'll remember in the future not to be "confused by the facts" as reported by one person based on one alleged experience.
  • Not even Own one? Jeez how can you said for the Toyota Quality? Your consistent comment is just based one a brief test drive and try to convince others not to buy? I believe your intention is good but not fair nor complete. Even reliable brands like Toyota and Honda have lemon cars. It's just percentage wise, is relative low. Plus the Solara is based on current Camry platform which has more tahn a year's test and review. Any critical problem should be addressed and most likely solved. If I were the CEO of Toyota, I woon't be stupid to risk the reputation for not aking care any big issue. As to my writing skill, I can survive without your worry. It's a message not an thesis or publishing article. Everybody understand but you. Case rested.
  • Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all Solara owners and readers of this forum. Have fun and enjoy your car many many years to come.
    Best wished,
    Matt
  • ral2167ral2167 Posts: 642
    i assume, snakerbill, that before you ordered a solara you test drove one that was on the lot... based on the test drive, you were satisfied so much that you ordered one. is this correct?

then again, you may not have test driven a solara before ordering one--- although to me that seems odd to order a car without test driving it...

i guess the lesson to be learned is, if at all possible, try to buy a car that is available right now, on the dealer's lot, as opposed to having to order one, or get one shipped to you.... then again, this is not always possible.

hoping the bengals beat out baltimore (browns fan here-- go Browns in 2004!).
    i test drove a solara when it first came out... seemed to drive nice enough.... wasn't in market for a car, but the saleslady almost thrusted the keys at me to take a test drive...

i was just wondering, snakerbill, now that there are solaras on the lot now, whether you've test driven another one, or whether you've soured on toyota based on the one car you did drive.

i kinda like the gold solara color, if i did get one.
  • Hey, snake, I bet you wouldn't want any of us to get that lemon you "supposedly" ordered. So why don't you give us the VIN number so that we can avoid that particular car. Or at least give color, model and dealer location so we don't get stuck with that piece of crap.

Honestly, I have my suspicions whether you even ordered the car. You are telling me you would freaking order one, but you had never test drove one? I don't believe that. If you did, you deserve what you get.

And, YES, you GENERALIZED about the entire Solara model based upon your "supposed" experience with one car. Go back and read your own posts. I'd bet a dollar to a donut that you sell a competing brand and are just here to bash Toyota.

We heard you a hundred times. We got it. Do you have to keep repeating it? You said the Solaras aren't selling. What evidence do you have to back that up? Yeah, just what I thought. You got none.
    i assume after all was said and done, and the out the door price was there in writing for you to see, you decided to sign your name to the bottom line.

"you got dynamite at the end of your fingertips-- it's called a signature." --bruce williams- an old talk show guy who i don't hear much anymore.

so why the complaints? until you signed your name AFTER the numbers were there for you to see, you had every right to take a walk until the figures were to your liking.

am i nuts?
  • pallcpallc Posts: 3
    Just completed a 1,400 mile trip with a new set of Bridgestone Turanza LS-H tires in 205/60-16 size. I can't believe the difference in the way my '99 SLE handles. I researched these tires on TireRack.com, and their surveys of the "Most Popular" tires for my car rate this tire BEST in all 9 catagories. Not surprisingly, the OEM Potenza RE92s came in last place in every catagory. You can't beat this tire for the price - $100 plus shipping.
  • Thanks for your post!

My '99 SLE is going to need new tires in a year or so, and I can't wait to get something other than the OE Potenza RE92's!

Your Turanza experience sounds very positive.... Please keep us updated.
  • I was just wondering if anyone has purchased the new 2004 Toyota Solara? Has anyone experienced problems with it? Thnx!
  • Anyone running these that were highly rated by CU?