Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Solara

Comments

• suvshopper4suvshopper4 Posts: 1,110
    Was it you who used a tankful of ethanol?
    Do you think this could be the source of your chugging problem?
  • canccanc Posts: 715
    Yeah, I used a couple of tanks of ethanol. At first I thought it could be the source of the problem, so I immediately stopped using it, and went back (and stayed) with premium since. After switching, I changed the fuel filter (which didn't need changing after all), had the fuel injectors cleaned, and the transmission flushed. All this, of course, at my expense.

I have the feeling that it's either the main computer that's going crazy when it's hotter outside, or the (eek!) transmission.
  • webguysterwebguyster Posts: 434
    It's a Toyota! I think all the little annoyances, are designed into the car, to separate it from the other car manufacturers!?! IMHO, still say you got a bad solenoid.

Really Canc, I believe you should not have to deal with the problem any longer. Although I believe you purchases your car used, Toyota should fix it properly. Although I don't know you, Canadians in general seem to be very polite compared to many Americans, say from major American cities (not the people who relocated from small towns to big cities), but it's your money, time, and your car. Have the dealer take it until it is fixed properly.

As much as I liked this car, then became disenchanted with it, I was trying to tough it out until the wheels fell off, and not just the little caps in the center. I don't think thats going to happen. This is the 2nd worst quality vehicle I have owned since I was a teen with a Ford Festiva. Even that car did not have any "quality" issues, other than being too small, and very ugly, and rusting prematurely!?!

I feel like I got robbed this time around. Going to see what the dealer will give me for a trade... LOL, and/or put a sign in the window soon! My friend unloaded her Camry, 1999, 50k, LE, as it was already falling apart, literally! Lost a bumper on the highway, and I believe she lucked out and got $5000.00 at a dealership, and only ripped off an extra 2 grand on her new car! The dealer was never able to fix her interior light so it stayed off, so she drove without the fuse for the last year and 1/2 to prevent the light from intermittantly coming on, and draining the battery! I should be soooo lucky!
    You're right... I don't have to deal with this any longer, and I'm not going to accept the "we haven't found anything, drive it for another 1000 miles and then come back to see us" excuse.

On another note, that whole story of your friend losing her bumper and the interior light is really something. That sounds like a complete lemon! What did she trade it in for?

And you say that your Solara days are coming to an end... what are you thinking about getting?
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    I know this issue was from late last week, but I haven't had time to post recently. Those spots are part of the HSEA window treatment (High Solar Energy Absorbing). They are much more visible when viewed through high quality sunglasses, especially polarized. Canc is correct that this is present in high end cars.

An odd effect happens when viewing another car with this treatment through your treated windows. You get a really strange checker-board effect as the "spots" go in and out of phase with each other.
    Not sure what car I am going to get. I am looking at the Matrix as a small practical car, but the price is premium for a Toyota Focus!?! The MSRP at the local dealership all start at $20,000, and I have not even test driven one yet. It is more practical, and I will have no expectations that I purchased a "NICE" car, like when I bought the Solara. Otherwise going to look at BIG SUV's GMC!

As far as the glass spots in the rear window, they are visable without glasses, and as far as other cars having them, I am sure some do, but while walking the grounds of the development where I reside, 1500 units, I did not see any others. I drove a buddies BMW 7 series, and after having to be shown how to get it to go, I took a look-see at the rear window, as this is a more expensive car. NO spots.
  • cats10cats10 Posts: 2
    I have been researching the Solara for awhile. I am ultimately looking for a 2000 or 2001 white SE with moonroof and spoiler with low miles.

I haven't been able to locate the right year and was debating whether to look into the '99's. For all you '99 owners, have you been satisfied with your car? Any major problems?

Also, if you purchased used, can you give me an idea of what the total cost of the car was (SE or SLE)?

Thanks.
    Although I have a 2000, my advice would be to keep on lookin' beyond the Solara, and keep some of your premium Toyota Solara dollars. My experiance, this car is a headache!

I did see a few cars with spots on there windows this morning, a Honda Civic, and a Honda Accord. The more expensive cars!
  • cats10cats10 Posts: 2
    What problems did you experience with the Solara?

I am real curious, as I researched Consumer Reports and the overall rating was very good.

Thanks.
  • rblelandrbleland Posts: 312
    You've opened a can of worms there - brace yourself for the litany of complaints/problems and general misery.
  • Chill, Solarans! :)

IMHO, Cats10 should check every post made by WebG and Canc. It's only fair that a decision be made with all of the pertinent info available...

However, Cats10 should keep in mind that reading about the riding/ownership experience is nothing like the real thing. Cats10, you sure you don't know anyone who owns a Solara? If not, take a long test drive in a new one. Also, since you're getting a used car, may I ask what the other cars U are on your 'counter-shopping' list?

Finally, Cats10 should check out this entire 3 yr-old forum. He'll note that peeps like me and Ral also have valid opinions of their cars that don't match up with other opiners.

g'luck!
    You'll see that my recent posts have dealt with chugging. Yeah, I have it, but I wouldn't go so far as to not recommend the Solara. It should definitely be a car to consider, as it is quieter, roomier, and more comfortable than most cars in its segment.

My chugging issue would be comparable to a dashboard squeak; annoying as heck, but confident they'll find it out soon enough and fix it. It's not like it's leaking oil or the pistons are slapping. Go try one out!
    In all fairness to everyone, I won't do this to the board. I have been in the Solara threads for about 2 1/2 years, soooooooo! If you are really interested, hit me back at webguyster@aol.com
  • cats-10 - My '99 SLE, pearl white, loaded with everything, has been essentially flawless from the day I drove it home. Only the alarm system had to be fooled with.

The sticker was about $27K. If you're considering a used one, I might consider an offer - I guarantee that you won't find a better one. My ONLY problem with it is that I now find that I really need 4 doors.

I think that this is a GREAT car, and so do 99% of all Solara owners. It drives just like the Lexus I traded in for it, and cost a lot less.

ALL cars have some problem ones, and the ones with problems show up in the forums. Toyota has one of the best reputations in the auto industry, and deservedly so.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Posts: 2,273
    automophile-

I was going to tell him about your car. With that beauty, all he has to do is get in, start it up and off he goes. NOTHING to do that that white beauty. SHOW HIM THE PICS!!

A picture is worth a thousand words!

fastdriver
    How do you know sooo much about automophiles car?
  • We are both Zaino polish fanatics, and have been trading pics of our gorgeous cars for years!

Besides, he is really, really smart!
  • fastdriverfastdriver Posts: 2,273
    webguyster-

Do I HAVE to give away all my secrets? Let's just say that if YOU had automophile's car, you'd be thrilled with Toyota! ;-))

I think you have the worst Toyota they EVER built. Is there anything that does work right? Your Solara sounds like my former "award-winning" Chrysler 300M- Christine!! I didn't think there could ever be a Toyota Christine! ;-))

fastdriver
    Yeah, I'd be thrilled! Someone must have ginen it to him for him to be thrilled! :)

I think your right, I must have the WORST Toyota ever built! Maybe I should see your great car! At least I have not taken time to post a web page about my mistake, like some posters! ;)