Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Solara

Comments

• strawbsstrawbs Posts: 8
    Has anyone else noticed that the 2003 Solara is now listed under the "New Cars" section here on Edmunds? It looks exactly like the 2002, and has the same horsepower as the '02 (at least the 4 cyl does).

Anybody know if the '03 is actually available at dealerships already?
  • The 03 Solara is the exact same as the 02 Solara, even the prices are the same. They should be on dealerships, effective last week or so. The reason there are no changes is because the 04 Solara will be on dealerships this coming spring as a completely redesigned model.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Posts: 2,273
    webguyster-

You should make a webpage about your Solara if you're that unhappy and Toyota has done nothing or little to nothing to help you. Just go to YAHOO, Geocities and start there. It's easy to do. I did it as you well know. I will NEVER let anyone forget the experience I had with my 300M AND those "award-winning 5-STAR" dealers and their factory reps! They were the WORST I have EVER dealt with in my entire life of buying new cars!

fastdriver
    Thanks for the info. I have an '02 SE 4cyl, so I'm not in the market right now. But I was wondering why the '03 was out already. I think last year when I got mine in late Sept., the '02 hadn't been out for very long.

I will be watching to see what the '04 model looks like. I happen to like it just the way it is, but it will be interesting to see what they do to it.
  • I love the current model, but it's hubbys turn for the vehicle, so I have to wait until spring/summer 03 for my Solara which is just when they will be changing the models. I don't know which one we'll go with. They are supposed to be be making the 04 Solara "more aggressive" whatever that means. If they change it too much, we'll be looking for an 03 SLE V6 instead of the new 04 model. We'll have to see!
    Sounds like a winner either way.
  • webguysterwebguyster Posts: 434
    Who is "They" are supposed to make it more aggressive? Toyota, or the design place? Where did you get the info?
  • canccanc Posts: 715
    I brought my car to the garage yesterday to have it checked for the chugging again. They thoroughly tested the car, and found that my main ECM had a defect, hence why the car chugged because the computer didn't send the right signals at the right time. It doesn't seem to be anything mechanical after all, which is good. I'll have my car back either tomorrow or Friday, so I'll check it out and hopefully say that this is solved. This is after all such a fantastic car that I was cringing at the possibility of looking for another one.
  • Glad to hear it :) I wonder if this is a one time thing, or if affects a certain range of Solaras... Maybe a bad batch of ECMs?
    My service rep. didn't specify, although he said there were no reports in their database about similar problems, so I'm guessing this is a one time thing. One question though, when they say they'll replace the main ECM, does that include the ECM that tells the transmission when to shift?
  • bezaharbezahar Posts: 20
    Just thought I'd bring this up, thought I'd seen someone else mention it a little while ago. About a week ago when it got really hot outside 100+ the driver's side window would not go down. Took about 3 minutes or so of driving with the AC on before the window finally decided to go down. The passenger’s window and sunroof worked fine just the driver's side that wouldn't work.

Well that's about the only problem I've had with the car so far.

2000 Red SE-V6-5speed 38.5k miles, averaging about 26 mpg on premium.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Posts: 852
    ..........2000 SE V6 5-speed.........driver's side window switch failed (replaced under warr.)..Toyota will probably make good on it (it ain't nothing new, right?).........ez
  • I really have no idea, but I would expect that since unit to be completely replaced, the tranny ECM would be included (providing that the ECM is one device that controls everything). As I said before, though, I don't really know for sure.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure the main ECM is one device that controls everything. Thanks for the input.

P.S. Where are you in Canada?
  • No prob... :)

I'm in Kanata, Ontario (near Ottawa). But I'll be moving out to Kingston (university-land for me this fall...) in September.
    I'm in Ottawa! Best of luck at Queen's...
  • Cool... :) Thanks... :)
  • alexhhoalexhho Posts: 5
    I have a 00 V6 Solara, and don't want to mess around with stock items. I'm just wondering if by adding a front strut brace or a rear sway bar or both would increase the car's handling significantly? And does it matter what brands of bars? Any recommendations and where to get the parts? Thank you for your time.

Alex
    alexhho@yahoo.com
  • bwiebebwiebe Posts: 27
    Brought my 2000 SLE in for them to have a look at my chugging problem. Dealer advised that it was because I had my Traction Control on and the computer was sending the car wrong directions as it had too many things to think about (traction, ABS, etc!!!!!! Suggested I keep the Trac Control off unless its icy on the roads. Now I'm no mechanic but this seems like a load of crap, pardon my french. Can you tell me what the ECM is and what it does. I would appreciate it if you could report back in when you have had a chance to see if that works. I plan on writing Toyota with my dealers explanation and see what they say. I've had the Trac on since I bought the car, almost 2 years ago and the problem was non-existant for the 1st year and it has been getting steadily more persistant in the 2nd year. Nowhere in the instrucion manual does it suggest to leave the switch off unless its icy. Any other comments or suggestions would be appreciated.