Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Solara

Comments

• ed1234ed1234 Posts: 5
    Thanks for your reply, 2k1trd

I have read somewhere that the front upper strut mounts problem will keep returning, just a couple months after we fix it, is that true?

Thanks,
  • mak750mak750 Posts: 3
    Please read #4451 - 'Oil Gel Campaign'
  • mhs7386mhs7386 Posts: 33
    Can you take the Solara into a regular car wash?
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Posts: 301
    I highly doubt it...i have done a ton of them and never had any comebacks.
  • cooldad24cooldad24 Posts: 162
    This issue bothers me a year after acquiring the coupe with 3.3 V6. When first time I send it in for Alignment, I was told by the manager that my driver side cam is tilt inward (vertical misaligned) and the design is not for adjustable. I called Toyota twice in the past year but no one really know if there is sulotion. Today I was force to replace both tires on the left (I rotate the tires every 5 to 6K) due to uneven worn with silghtly less than 15K in mileage. One of them can barely see the track at the outer edge. The reason is alignment problem. I was told there is after market adjustable cam to replace the original to solve this issue. Does anyone else has the same problem? How do you resolve it? Please help so I don't have to buy another pair in the next 15K. Those tires are very expansive. We are talking about $190 to $240 each then plus other fee. Ouch!
    Yes you can replace the strut bolt with a adjustable type aftermarket bolt.As far as your tire wear issues,negative camber will wear the inside of the tire.You claimed that the outer section was wearing out.I personally think that your alignment is not getting done correctly... Also make sure you are running about 35 psi in all tires.
  • cooldad24cooldad24 Posts: 162
    Do you know where can I get it? Thanks.
    Check your local Napa store.
  • Are 17" tires supposed to have 32psi?
  • capriracercapriracer Somewhere in the USPosts: 800
    Yes, according to Tire Guides, the 17" on a Toyota Camry Solara are supposed to be inflated to 32 psi.

But just to be sure, check your vehicle placard. I'm not sure where the placard is on Toyota's but they are usually on the doorpost or in the glove box.
  • I have a horrible smell inside the car. The smell is only once in a while, but smells like burnt rubber or sewer. It lasts only for a minute or two and then is gone. It is after I have been driving for 15 or 20 minutes. I have a 99 Solara SLE with 90k miles. I first noticed the smell about 10k miles ago. I also have the knocking strut noise from the front, wiich from previous posts, appears to be the top strut supports. Can someone please shed some light on what this smell is and how to get rid of it?? I also have the chrome paint chipping from my grill on the front of the car. Any suggestions on where to get a reasonable priced replacement??
    Thanks in advance for all your help!!
  • Hi guys,
    I bought a 99 Solara SLE in April 05. When I bought the car, the Automatic climate control LCD was cracked. I am not sure if the unit works or not (since the LCD is cracked), but I want the LCD to display so I am looking for a replacement unit. I am under the impression that the heater will not work till I change the unit (because of the cracked LCD). Is there any site where I can an automatic climate control unit for a cheap price?
    thanks all
  • tvortvor Posts: 1
    I have a 99 solara se I just picked up with 20k original miles on it. But the right front strut mount is clunking. Shoulda paid more attention when they said they replaced the tires because they were worn. :mad:

Where can I find specifics on how to pull and replace the struts - or just the mounts since really all that is bad.
    Just have someone change the uppper strut mounts and have it aligned and you should be good to go.
  • Uh... "Boneless Chicken"??? What does that mean?

Other than a soft supsension, I find my '06 SLE Convertible to be quite stable...

As for the stereo that others have mentioned, I have the JBL "premium" stereo package, but it leaves a little to be desired. I can't seem to hear any diff when driving or standing still, even though it is supposed to automatically adjust for road/wind noise. I doubt that I will keep it stock very long... ;)
  • rblelandrbleland Posts: 312
    After 6 and 1/2 years of pleasurable ownership of a '99 Solara SLE V6 Coupe, we have traded it plus one other vehicle, for a new 2006 Solara SLE V6 Coupe in Black with the Stone (dark grey) leather interior. The '99 has only 71,000kms on it and has been a perfect car (it's my wife's daily driver). It has been zero hassle and we have had no trouble with it at all. Hopefully the 2006 will be as good. I am keeping my '05 Highlander AWD V6 with leather pkg so we remain a two-Toyota twosome. Get the new one tomorrow, wife is excited.
  • Anybody can help with these maintenance question please:

Solara SE V6 Convertible 2004, 67,000 miles

1. When does the automatic transaxle fluid need to be replaced? Is there a filter to replace as well? No word in the owner's manual about the replacement schedule of ATF.
  • Do you mean the transmission Fluid? It depends on driving condition, driving pattern and, as my guessing, highway mostly or local. Rule of thumb is every 30k, you should replace it and I don't recall there is filter. Some GM has lifetime transmission design but better replace every 60k at least.
  • Thanks for the info. It is mostly highway. My previous Accord had a manufacturere suggested replacement of ATF every 30K. The newer Hondas need replacement every 100K.
  • There are service bulletins for the following 2004-2006 solaras. Cables for the convertible top, front end "replacement of springs and coils" and for the sluggish transmission. Have fun.
  • kaarona1kaarona1 Posts: 6
    I just had my front struts and mount replace on a 99 solara SLE and WOW what a difference. They are so quiet and smooth now I can hear a small knock in my rear strut. Does anyone know how to get to the rear strut mount?? I was going to try to tighten it up before replacing. I looked in the trunk but did not see access to it. Is is behind the back seat? Thanks!!
  • Hi all, newby to this forum but I've read 1200 previous posts here. I just made a great purchase on a 2001 Solara SE v6, 44k miles, with everything(JBL, moonroof, etc.) but leather seats for $8,000. So I want to protect the drivers seat with a good quality custom fitting seatcover. My seat is power. Is this the same seat as the Camry? Also how can I determine if my seat has side airbag? I would really appreciate any advice from the members of this great forum.

Thanks....Morph
  • philipbphilipb Posts: 9
    Has Toyota or any after-market place ever come out with custom mud guards for the 2004 Solara wheel wells?
  • gohawaiiangohawaiian Honolulu, HawaiiPosts: 84
    I haven't been able to find a dealer who has an '06 Solara on hand in either the Arctic Frost or Lunar Mist colors can anyone describe them accurately? Is either color close to Platinum, or are those two colors more like white and silver-grey respectively? Also, when is the '07 Solara due, and is it likely to be a carryover or a redesign?
  • I have a 2000 V6 SLE Solar - Where is the Coin Box?
  • meegwellmeegwell Posts: 67
    Just inked my deal on an Arctic Frost `06 Solara. Keeping in mind that color is probably the most subjective characteristic in the bunch, here's my attempt. Imagine a cup of coffee that has so much cream in it that only the slightest indication remains that there's coffee in the cup. That's my sense of the color. Add to that the mother-of-pearl look that comes from the mica or silica type additive that's in the paint.

The Lunar mist is in the Silver family.

My two cents,

Meegwell
  • hey guys, just got a '00 SLE V6 Solara and really enjoying it. never had a toyota before so i dont know whats common and whats not. so....

1. does a Solara engine typically rev high at startup? goes up to about 1600-1800 rpms but then drops after a few minutes - it doesnt drop hard into gear when shifting to drive

2. check engine light is on when i received the car (got thru an estate, so was sitting for awhile)- had two oxygen sensors put in, failed emissions test, and light is still on. non-toyota general mechanic says doesnt know why. i do have a broken gas cap that might not click all the way. any ideas?

3. lastly, i'm not sure if this can be related to number 2 above, but i get some engine lag/jerkiness/pull when driving between 35-45 mph, not accelerating or shifting gears so i dont think its the transmission. maybe something is firing right or gas intake, ??? confused. need a tune up???

i'm willing to go to a toyota dealer, but looking for some ideas first. i'm a youngin (25) but willing to learn, thanks for the help.
  • gohawaiiangohawaiian Honolulu, HawaiiPosts: 84
    Thanks for your comments re colors. I have finally seen both colors, not at the dealerships, but on cars on the road in my town. Both colors look nice.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,032
    A large local newspaper is looking to interview consumers who purchased a Lexus, Toyota or Scion vehicle and what led you to purchase that vehicle. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, April 5, 2006 containing your daytime contact information, along with the make and model your vehicle.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.