Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Solara

Comments

• ral2167ral2167 Posts: 641
    yes indeed-- the accord coinbox is a true pleasure, as is the center armrest... i do miss the solara headrest and the better jbl radio, plus the larger gas tank (on the honda, the low fuel light comes on at about 350 miles on the V6- what's up with that?)...each car has its plusses/minuses.... go Tribe/Browns in 03!
  • nrl76nrl76 Posts: 30
    I have a '99 SLE and my CD player has been skipping a lot. I take the CD out to make sure that it is not scratched and try to get rid of any finger prints. No help. Then I place the CD in my Changer and it does not skip at all. This leads me to believe that the in-dash CD player is to blame.

Has anyone experienced this problem? If so, did you use a cleaning disc? Any other solutions?

Thanks in advance,
    Neil
    '99 SLE - red/gray
  • I did have that problem on my CD player on my 2000, although my solution was to use a CD-MP3 player through the tape player. Not the best quality but it did give me plenty of music.
  • decondecon Posts: 56
    What mileage have you guys been changing the tires at?

I'm considering replacing them with the OEM Michelins again. The Bridgestone ones pulled left in old postings.

What are some other good brands?
  • Don't take this as whining. I am trying to solve this one also. Toyota selected a tough size.
    Michelins - poor wet traction after very few miles from experince
    Dunlop - hard to keep balanced from experience, but still leaning this way
    Bridgestones - no way again from experience
    Yokos - I hear they are soft
    Toyo - ????
  • Lot of guys on this group!!I expect majority of people on this group are female. Don't tell me sex-change is the favorite sport around here.
  • rblelandrbleland Posts: 312
    ..are you talking about? Would you like to clarify that last post?
  • fastdriverfastdriver Posts: 2,273
    Is there a FULL MOON???

fastdriver
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Posts: 852
    ......still avoiding the tread depth bars at 35800 miles.......local General tire dude is offering a 420 rates 2l5/55 series for 350 out the door....FWIW. 2000 SE V-6 con clutch...ez
  • during today's morning commute, my SE-V6 began to shake/vibrate strongly at 50-60 mph. i pulled off, didn't notice anything wrong with my tires. my shop said water/ice/snow had gotten into the wheels, and just to let today's 40 degree termperature take care of things. sure enough, an hour later, no vibration...
  • rblelandrbleland Posts: 312
    .. and not only with Solaras. In the conditions you folk have had down there, it's no wonder! Some of the more-obsessed Subie owners actually apply certain types of wax to the wheels in winter to try to stop ice-buildup. Well, I'll just get on with our no snow, well above average temperate winter here in B.C. - LOL :>)
  • You drive your Solara pretty fast in blizzard conditions. Hope you got new tires at least!
  • Toyota says to expect the 2004 Solara's public debut at the New York Auto Show in April.
  • It sure missed Chicago's auto show.
  • vz18wpvz18wp Posts: 20
    Has anyone seen any pictures of the new 2004 Solara?

Please pass them along if they exist!

Come on, SOMEONE has had to see if it will be debuted at the New York Auto Show in April.

Thanks!

'99 SE Dianond Pearl White
    67K and still strong
  • canccanc Posts: 715
    I am very surprised too that I wasn't able to find anything about the new Solara. We were able to see spy shots a few months in advance of the new Camry, but nothing about the Solara. Perhaps someone here with finer google-search skills will be able to find them!
  • Maybe it will be a rebadged Lexus IS300? The quality that came out of Ontarios first attempt at building a car from the ground up, rather than just assembling Corollas, might have led corporate to rethink their new Camry 2 door. Seems strange Toyota would be keeping any car under wraps, especially one that is in direct competition with Accords 2 door, that seems to have all the bells and whistles, and buttons, and levers, and GPS's etc! I hope it's the bomb.
  • When I first bought my 2000 V6 SE Solara a few years back, this forum was really helpful with car care tips. Anyway, I haven't been back for a year or so and it's good to know people still love their Solaras. My Solara is still going strong, not a single problem. I do have a question however, it really isn't that big of a deal but has anyone of you guys experienced the silver paint on the front grill chipping away. If so, barring taking it to body shop, how did you fix it. Thanks
  • My son's 2000 Solara convertible SLE got caught in a flood in D.C. this past Saturday. The insurance company says it's totaled because of the moisture that got into the electrical components. It has 78,000 miles on it but is(was) in excellent condition. The insurance company has offered him about $17,600. That seems a bit low to me. What's your take on it? (If you work for Alexandria Toyaota, it's on your lot - red with a tan top)
    Thanks.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    Actually, I used to work at Alexandria but have since moved back to my original store in Springfield. The figure of $17600 doesn't sound too bad to me considering the miles. For a three year old car with double the average miles, they only depreciated it 45% (based on a $32K price).

If you want to negotiate with them, you will need ammunition. Go to traderonline.com and pull up as many 2000 Convertibles are possible. Find a few with higher mileage and see what they are asking. Print these out and take them to your insurance company. Those on-line figures are asking price and usually very high but that is what you need when talking to the insurance folks.