Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Solara

Comments

• There is always exoticwoods.com!!! And Zaino! LOL! Can't wait til the new model comes out, and everyone starts trying to push Zaino, and new interior accessories on the site! That was like the first few thousand posts of old Solara postings! ;)
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Posts: 301
    Kinda dissapointed about the new 3.3 engine not haning more power,i mean the new Accord has 260!...come on Toyota get with the program.I was relly hot on getting a 04 untill seeing the pics and now i'm not sure.Maybe i'll just s/c my 00 and put some 17 or 18 inch wheels on it...
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Posts: 932
    The Accord has 240hp doesn't it?
  • toycashtoycash Posts: 139
    The Accord has 240, which is only 15 more. But the Toyota has 240 lb.ft. of torque and the Accord only 212. Plus the Toyota peaks at a lot lower RPM.
  • And Toyota will likly have a TRD package to upgrade, but usually not in the first year.
  • Taichi Ono introduced lean production, and a highly disciplined approach to engineering and manufacturing. He imposed strict scheduling, small-batch production and low-cost flexible machines in place of the large stocks of parts and dedicated manufacturing tools that characterized American auto production for decades. This is one reason that we can all look forward to the new Solara, depite the earlier posts about the new Kentucky Camry's rattling.
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Posts: 301
    My bad on the Accord HP :( was thinking of the Acura CL-S
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    This model is head and shoulders better than the current model.

Looks primed for NASCAR also. Announcement on that is expected soon. Wonder if Honda will follow.
  • gpoltgpolt Posts: 113
    My observations: I'm certain that this will be a superior car with both 4 wheel disc brakes and side air-bags standard across the board, not to mention a stiffer chassis and reduced body and interior panel gap tolerances. However,.........

in their "infinite wisdom", the marketing "geniuses" at Toyota have made some blunders IMHO. Just as in the Camry they believe every customer wanting a European feel must advertise it as in mandatory trunk spoiler/wing in the SE packages, here in the SE SPORT package the customer must be acceptant of a ridiculous looking five piece ground affects kit (air dams, ground spoilers whatever - i.. TRD after-market). This reduces the ground clearance (speed bumps!!) and gives the car a pyramid look - i.e. a pup-tent or Darth Vader helmet. I hope the car will look more stylish in the SE plain or SLE. Further, if this is Toyota's "sport specialty segment" automobile ["Consumer appeal in Solara will range from style, to design, to impressions, to excitement. The Solara buyer will want something extra in life regardless of their age or life stage."], then why doesn't the company offer a manual transmission with its V6 engine - i.e. Accord Coupe, Maxima SE, Mercedes C230, BMWs, etc. Reps at the show stated that the 4 cyl will be available with a stick, but that their research showed that only 6% of their first generation Solaras were built with the stick (or stick with V6). When I rhetorically asked how many of those V6 5 speeds were still on the lots unsold, there was no reply).

Styling is a subjective thing and the rear light treatment is very Lexus SC 430 -ish. The front end looks like a cross between an ES-300 (or is it now 330?) and an Acura RSX, and in my view pales in comparison with its predecessor.

As stated above, I'm sure this is a better car, but aesthetically, at least in its Sport configuration, I believe the first generation Solara, especially the 99-01s, are more classic in their apppearance.
  • canccanc Posts: 715
    What!?!? Are you saying that Toyota will be in Nascar soon? *drool*
  • steveb84steveb84 Posts: 187
    Toyota is joining the Craftsman Truck Series with the Tundra in 2004, the Camry (Solara) will follow a year or two after that.
  • canccanc Posts: 715
    It'll be interesting to see how Toyota and its Solara will fare with the Chevy/Ford/Chrysler boys.
  • cunnrcunnr Posts: 9
    My check engine light recently came on and I took my Solara in for a checkup. The technician said that the oxygen sensor in the emissions system had gone out and that it would cost around $300 to replace. Since they did not have the part, I think I will get it replaced at the next oil change. He also said that there was no problem driving the car without the sensor and that he has seen the sensors go out in less than 20k miles. Seems like an unreliable part. Has anyone had similar problems? Thanks
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    I think the styling of the vehicle, even with the 'ground effects' is much improved. Doesnt look nearly as cookie-cutter. I dare to call it sexy.

~alpha
  • O2 sensors go out all the time. Did you get the extended warrenty?? otherwisw, its a Toyota, just ignore it! Unless you got extra bucks!
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    Toyota will reportedly be joining NASCAR in 2006. The similar lines the car has to the Monte Carlo are likely no accident. Since NASCAR mandates certain dimensions, Toyota had no choice but to re shape the car. I personally think they did a good job aside from the Tiburon look in the back.
  • jraysjrays Posts: 20
    toyota.com now has pictures and more information on the new 2004 Solara.

Some interesting new and standard features:

Steering Wheel-Mounted Audio Controls
    Tilt/Telescoping Steering Wheel
    Anti-Lock Brakes
    Heated Seats
    Side Airbags
    Metallic Trim

It looks like some features that use to be options, like the sunroof, are now standard on the SLE.
  • rward99rward99 Posts: 185
    My oxygen sensor is sporadic on my '91 Camry (80K miles). Light goes on and off, but dealer says that unless you are getting engine ping it's OK to drive. The $300+ repair is because it's in the back under all the fuel injection stuff, and they have to remove it to replace the sensor.

I'm opting to just let it alone for now. I ran a couple of cans of fuel injector cleaner though the gas and the light hasn't come on since then.
  • Wondering if the O2 sensor wouldn't be covered under the 6 year, 60,000 drivetrain, or the longer emissions laws. If not wrong, emissions type failures are longer than manufacturers warranty.
  • The announcements of the '04 Camry Solara and the Toyota web site content aren't very descriptive about the transmission for the V-6. The website refers to it as "5-speed automatic sequential shifting transmission (V6 models)", while Autoweek called it an "automanual". Yet, the following says it's really the cool Sequential Manual Transmission from the MR2 Spyder -- which is a true clutchless manual, not an automatic:

http://www.mcall.com/features/all-printz0420,0,3280083.column

Does anyone know if it's really getting the SMT from the MR2, or just an auto that can be shifted up or down?