Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Solara

Comments

• qibbleqibble Member Posts: 26
    Hello all,

I'm pretty sure this forum has touched upon this subject but I just have to get this out my system.

THE POTENZAS SUCK!!!

I have had two terrible skidding incidents with this car. Fortunately, I've had no damage. In the most recent incident, I actually hit the curb. I must say that the weather was bad(freezing rain), but is some traction too much to ask for when going about 25 miles an hour? I'm definitely going to change them for the summer. OK, I'm done now. Any suggestions about which tires I should change to would be greatly appreciated. Happy motoring.

99 silver 23,000 slippery miles
  • phelpsmphelpsm Member Posts: 21
    Quick Question...
    My girlfriend has a Cougar and just got her 30K mile work done. Her book said something about a Transmission Flush (I figure this includes a new filter and the such). But our book doesn't say anything about it. The only place (correct me if I'm wrong) that talks about transmission fluid changes is under "Special Operating Conditions". I even looked under the 45K, 90K and 120K checks. Maybe I just missed it but my questions is when should transmission fluids/filters be changed??? How long do they usually last???

Thanks, Mike
  • denniswadedenniswade Member Posts: 362
    Potenzas suck. My wife's new Ceilca has em, and they're trash. Took it to Vegas this weekend, and the darn things screamed over textured pavement like they were going to come apart. I have Sumitomos on my turbo Corolla -- they're Z-rated, handle great, ride smoothly and are quiet as a tomb. They're the same as Dunlops (the parent company) but at half the price. Check TireRack for a comparison review between them, Kumho and another big name brand.
  • luphyluphy Member Posts: 31
    Hi, just a question to all the leather interior
    owners out there...especially those who've had
    their cars for at least a year now...how's the
    leather holding up?
    I'm not sure about the quality of the Solara
    leather...it's very nice and I like it..but
    leather in a 25K car would definitely not be of
    top quality...just wondering if anyone's had
    problems with their leather cracking or breaking
    down already despite periodic conditioning.
    Thnx
  • decondecon Member Posts: 56
    I've had my car for almost a year. The leather is just as nice as it was when I purchased it. I have 20% tints so that helps prevent any extra sun damage.
  • ojcojc Member Posts: 31
    after 2 1/2 years, the leather is surprisingly still quite supple. I almost rdered cloth and aftermarket leather (~same cost) but I am glad that I didn't.
  • dominia_1979dominia_1979 Member Posts: 1
    I'm stuck guys! I don't know if I should buy a decked out Toyota Solara SLE V6, or a decked out Honda Accord EX V6. I've been a Honda owner twice, and I love everything about them. Could anyone help me make up my mind? Pro's & Con's of both? Anyone had bad experiences? Please help!
  • pumpkinpumpkin Member Posts: 5
    I have had my red Solara for less than 2 years and it has alot of paint chips. I am super careful with my car. I don't follow close, park way out in parking lots (always an end spot), and wash my car by hand (except for winter when I go to a touchless car wash). I noticed my rocker panels were chipped badly after owning the car for only 6 months! I thought it was just me being too picky about my paint, but after visiting this site, I see there are quite a few complaints about the paint job on Solara's. I am going to contact Toyota and complain. I am really sick of seeing more chips everytime I wash my car. Anyone share my frustration? Would like to hear your experiences. Thanks.
    that since they stopped using lead-based paints, it just isn't as hard as it used to be.

When you repaint, have them used a catalyst urethane, like Deltron -- it'll last forever. Many body shops use Deltron for that reason.
  • curlyqcurlyq Member Posts: 54
    Maybe it's the Red color, but my Solara has the worst quality paint finish of any car I've owned. Seven months and 12 paint chips later... When will it end? I'd like to hear Cliffy's experiences and suggestions on this matter.
  • st22st22 Member Posts: 3
    Since test drives are free, throw out your possibly preconceived notions and check out the new Chrysler Sebring LXi coupe. At most, it'll cost you an hour, but take a good look and a drive!
    especially if you're considering a converitble. The Sebring convertible has been rated better than the Solara convertible by several magazines recently -- in large part due to the chassis flex exhibited by the Solara (it's an aftermarket installation by ASC, and they need to talk to those people about it!).

However, the coupe version of the Solara is a wonderful car, and the difference in quality is significant. In the latest JD Powers quality survey, the Camry/Solara placed 9th overall, with an average of 97 defects; the Sebring was well below the industry average of 154 with 171 defects, which placed it 122nd in the survey -- almost twice the number of defects as the Camry/Solara.
  • st22st22 Member Posts: 3
    The new Sebring is an all-new animal and this very web site (Edmunds!) rated it the most wanted coupe under $30K. Its definitely worth a look.......that part is still free!!
  • das01solaradas01solara Member Posts: 9
    I've been reading that repeatedly over at the Sebring vs. Solara,etc board in defense of the pre-2001 Sebring's quality issues. Apparently the 2001 is now based on an extended version of the Eclipse chassis. To me, this means that you either have to look at the Eclipse's record to guide you or quite possibly it's an unknown quantity until a few years have gone by.

BTW the two boards comparing the Solara to the Accord, Sebring, VW VR6, Monte Carlo and Grand Prix can provide some insight into the comparative strengths and weaknesses of each car.

Good Luck Dominia!
    is listed at 133, with 177 defects -- 11 places below the previous Sebring. It is also listed as having more problems than average by Consumer Reports.

I realize that reliability is far from the only factor in deciding which car to buy, or none of us would be here -- but it is certainly worth considering, since it greatly affects both the cost and pleasure of ownership. The neatest car in the world isn't any fun when it's in the shop.
  • radracerradracer Member Posts: 96
    I owned a '97 Accord, it was a nice car. I love my Solara but sometimes I wish I could drive an Accord again. I believe the Accord is more fun to drive, although my Solara feels MUCH more luxurious. I'm planning to upgrade my suspension, but this setup will make my car ride a bit more harsh. If I had bought an Accord, I probably would also be wishing that I could drive a Solara! But more recently, as I've gotten a little older and a little more successful, I feel that the Solara fits me much better.
  • das01solaradas01solara Member Posts: 9
    Exactly. I agree w/ rad completely. If manual transmission isn't a big deal for you, then most of the differences b/w these two cars comes down to personal taste. A test drive is essential; you may even want to go back and forth driving them if possible. Go with the one that tickles your particular fancy, and enjoy!

BTW rad, let us know how the suspension mod comes out. That seems to be the most consistent performance issue with this car, despite the changes from the Camry setup. I'd be curious to know how much it helps, and if the ride gets too harsh.

dave
  • nori10nori10 Member Posts: 24
    After I bought my solara v6, I wished I could have bought the accord instead, better styling(personal taste) and cheaper. Now that my solara is in the repair shop for front bumper changing, I am borrowing my friends accord 99 v-4 for the time being. I must say accord is much more of a driver's car then is solara,( better grip with stock tires, compared to my 215/60/16 Michelin V4 tires... why??????..suspension setting??..oh well) but interior quality is so plasticky and cheap. The ride is harsh and tire noise is disturbing. All the sudden..I realize what a fine "luxury" coupe I have been driving! Right now I just want my solara fixed and my keys in my pocket. I guess for me the accord wasn't all that what I expected. Having owned a civic, the accord seemed like a larger sized civic to me. I am happy with my choice of getting the solara.
  • 99solara99solara Member Posts: 51
    I have a '99 V6 5 Speed Solara. Why did I select this car over the Accord?
    1) Wanted the V6 for smooth accelaration and low end torque. In todays world of traffic where do you see your tach most often?
    2) Had to have a 5 speed, need entertainment while in traffic. Accord only offered manual with the 4 banger.
    3) Solara has IMHO a more luxurious interior than the Accord. I spend my time inside the car.
    I previously owned an Integra for 11 years of trouble free driving so you will not hear any Honda bashing here. Both cars are excellent it comes down to personal taste.
    =================
    P.S. Nori10 how do you like the Michelins? I am going to be purchasing tires soon. The one thing I know is that I do not want the Bridgestones again.
    Oh yes..the bridgestones. I changed them since they wore like crazy at 18000 miles, and in wet roads, my solara was ice skating. Anyways the michilens I purchased are very good. Great dry performance and moderate wet performance. Its about 5000 miles that I've driven HARD with these and I see barely any tread wear. These must last quite long. The only negatives about michelins are they are a but pricey and I must say the quiteness and comfort does not exceed the bridgestones. It feels like changed my springs to a stiffer one all the sudden. But overall michelins are great, and any tires on the face of the planet should be better then the stocks :p
  • hydrozzhydrozz Member Posts: 22
    hey, does anybody know if there are any companies making intake system for the solara and where they can direct me to purchasing one. i know Injen makes one but i was wiondering if there are any other alternatives. its pretty sad that the aftermarket scene for this car is so so small b/c there tons of potential here. it kinda makes me wish i got an accord coupe but i love my car tho =)
    The following companies make intakes for Solara v6: Weapon-R (overboost.com), Injen (racesearch.com), and Rod Millen (rodmillen.com).
  • cheme74cheme74 Member Posts: 5
    Will there be any major changes to the Solara in 2002?
  • hydrozzhydrozz Member Posts: 22
    radracer, which one would u consider to be the better intake? im kind of leaning more towards the injen one but i dont know. im assuming that they are all prety much the same unless your able to get a cold air. anyways whats your opinion?
    They're all pretty much the same. i think the weapon r and injen look the best.
  • dc_sports_ruledc_sports_rule Member Posts: 134
    I have driven both vehicles and the Solara LE V-6 is much more refined than the Accord EX V-6. The Solara is more quiet than the Accord. Road noise is quite pronounced in the Accord. Also the V-6 Accord transmission has been very problematic since 1998. Buy the Solara, it is a better vehicle.
  • robertorrobertor Member Posts: 6
    You will get terrible steering with the CAMRY solara. My solara steering locks into a Left turn on flat surface roads and with 70,000 miles, it continues to do so with a passion..In curves the steering gets Horrendous, you literally need an additional set of arms to keep the car from going out of control. Many here at this forum complain of this steering DEFECT that toyota dealers Cannot fix and toyota corporate conveniently ignores.(I have taken my car numerous times to dealers for alignments and currently have tires manufactured by Michelin)
    Get the Accord or better yet, get the Acura TL. A fully loaded SLE is not that distant in price from the TL and once you add the cost of new tires, numerous alignments and the cost of insanity, you will break even..
    By all means, DO take the CAMRY Solara for a test drive. You will feel that "left pull" from the very first test drive and believe me, nothing will make it go away, except getting another car.
    I've never felt that, and I've driven numerous Solaras, all of them different, as rentals, for many hundreds of miles.

Perhaps the reason the dealer hasn't fixed your problem is because there isn't any.
    If your car is as bad as you say, why have you held on to it for 70,000 miles?
    Does anyone have the Cargo Net? A friend got me one, but it does not have instructions on where to attach in the trunk. Thanks for the help.
  • kdonkor1kdonkor1 Member Posts: 5
    Nori10...what size michelins did you get? I know this tire thing has been beaten to death but I'm thinking about switching my OEM tires - Bridgestone 205/60/16 - to Michelin XGT's - 215/60/16. I ask because when I tried to buy that size tire from Tirerack.com, the sales guy said I might have some rubbbing on the struts unless I went with the shorter 215/55/16...does not look right to me. Anyway,for you guys who got the 215/60's, except for the slight speedometer issues, what have been your experiences so far? Do you have any strut rubbing at all?
  • automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    SC Solara -
    The lights look great! Where did you get them, and how are they wired?

Climate Control
    ALL cars made in the last few years have a little fresh air flow at all times. This may be to help prevent Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
    215/55/16 is the correct size you need. it's got a diameter of 25.3 while the 215/60/16 is 26.2 (way too tall) and the 205/60/16 is 25.7. even the stock size is a little too tall for the rear. the number in the middle is the percentage of the first number that results in tire sidewall.
  • pilot13pilot13 Member Posts: 283
    That problem about the steering difficulty is a red herring. Don't be dragged into a controvorsy that really hides another agenda altogether. Besides, anyone having that much difficulty holding a car on the road shouldn't be there in the first place!
  • phatnastycatphatnastycat Member Posts: 73
    My relationship with my Solara is a love/hate. I love the look of the car, the value it provides in standard options, the JBL system is excellent and it has a better looking interior than the Accord. These are all reasons that I chose the Solara over the Accord coupe. Plus, you don't see as many Solara's on the road as you do Accord coupes. Which I like, because I prefer not to see my "reflection" on the road.
    What I hate about my Solara is the left pull that can't be fixed. I wish it was a myth, but it's not. (I have a close family friend in another state, who owns a Toyota dealership, who has confirmed with me that they have seen this problem with the Solara and have usually been able to fix it by replacing the tires.) However, just because my Solara is dysfunctional, doesn't mean that every Solara is. I do have a bad taste in my mouth in my dealings with Toyota over the problem, but I wouldn't recommend against buying a Solara. I would advise taking an extensive test drive in the one you want before you sign the papers and drive it off the lot for keeps. But, I would recommend that with any car. I consider this a lesson learned for me.
  • solara11solara11 Member Posts: 78
    Mine was one of the first in the forum to pull left. It was almost fixed, but not 100 percent. Then came the pot hole, new rim, and new tire, with the full size spare replacing the other front tire, as to have 2 "new" tire in front. The new tire, a Michelin, 16 inch, had a bad pull from day one, and Toyota had me come back for another alignment check. Alignment was within spews, almost all close to 0, so it is the tire. I went to a Just Tires, or the like, and he explained the reds get laid wrong, and the tire is then like a Dixie cup rolling, and pulling. He flipped the tire, and now it pulls to the center and not left or right. She still pulls left ever so slightly. Maybe I need to flip the other tire! I think it may be the Michelins are defective!?! Anyone Bridge stones pull???
    that's halfway plausible.

Remember Firestone?
    My michilens are 215/60/16 and there is absolutely no problems with rubbing or anything. Though the height is 60, its a bit more taller then the 205/60's(stocks), so if you care about you tires looking sporty, then 215/55/16 might also be a choice as radracer says. But I personally prefered the 215/60/16 which bends more to the comfort-side. But then again my beautiful 16inch alloy wheels seems a bit small.
    It's really up to how you want it to look now!
    Good luck :)
  • luthor1luthor1 Member Posts: 15
    will buy a solara or ex v6 within 2 weeks and would like to know if the pulling to left has been fixed for 2001 or is it just a tire problem?
    I too have experienced the left pull. My car has the ** lovely ** Bridgestones. The interesting thing is that I rotated my tires this weekend and the pull is GONE.
    My wife has em on her Celica, and we'll be ditching them ASAP. Took the car to Vegas several weeks ago and the darn things just screamed over textured pavement -- thought they were gonna delaminate on me.
  • AnakinAnakin Member Posts: 410
    I had Bridgestone Turanzas on my Accord Coupe. The dang things squealed and complained the whole time I drove on them. I finally got rid of them when the right rear tire's sidewall disintegrated on me on 405. Fortunately, it wasn't rush hour.

Anyway, I got some Falken H-rated tires, and they've been great. (Wish I would have afforded to upgrade the wheels, but it happened at a bad time :^( )
    After I switched to Kumho tires, there is no more pulling to the left. But what's interesting is while I was working on my car, I noticed that the drivers side is lower than the passenger side...I had trouble getting my bottle jack under the driver side to jack up the car but not on the passenger side. Having a 180lb driver and no passengers must make it worse. This might be what's causing the left pull that nobody can fix. But what's strange is that I don't have this problem anymore.
  • jhaningerjhaninger Member Posts: 5
    I just noticed this last winter that there is what seems to be a gap betwwen the molding above both door windows and the top part of the car.
    If you look along the molding just outside the drip gutter, you will see what appears as the molding pulling away from the door.
    Anyone else have this?
  • mikecaimikecai Member Posts: 4
    I'm thinking of replacing the shocks on my 2000 solara SE. I'm willing to sacrifice a little handling/suspension for a softer ride. Has anybody done this? Any recommendation for specific brand of shocks?
  • pbcpbc Member Posts: 44
    I think I have the same thing. Do you mean the 1/4" space between the steel and rubber molding at the top of the window?

The other weird thing I notice is that when I lower my driver side window, the window seems to always stick to the rubber at the top and you can here it crack when it comes down. There is always residue on the window (which is a pain to get off). If I take the car to a high pressure no touch car wash occasionally water will drip through the passenger side door (and very rarely the moonroof). Now I try to take it to soft cloth washes (in the winter when I can't wash it myself).

I brought these things up with the mechanic at Toyota and, as with every other minor problem I've had with the car (speakers, the fact that I have to keep the steering wheel turned ever so slightly to the left to go straight), it's normal. In this case it is just the high pressure of the water which isn't good for the car anyway. Bull! I talk to people with other cars who don't have this problem, or these other problems!

I still love the car and the complaints are minor ones thankfully, but I'd have to say that Toyota Mechanics are absolutely horrible and couldn't give a rat's a__ about anything.

Sorry, just had to vent some frustration.
  • evaddaveevaddave Member Posts: 156
    Cargo Net:
    I got a Toyota aftermarket cargo net from a dealer and it had two plastic screws with hooks. These screws replaced the screws that hold the trunk liner in. The screws are located behind the brake lights--about 2 inches or so in from the trunk opening at the top of the trunk liner.

Gap in Molding:
    I, too, have this gap. I thought it was an integrated rain gutter, although from what I've seen, the gap is a little too small to actually fit water in. If I get in my car when it's raining, as soon as I sit down (and tilt the car to the left), the water rolls off the roof, over the gap, and onto the door.

Hope this helps!
    --Dave

'00 Fairway Green SE V6 5spd.
  • luthor1luthor1 Member Posts: 15
    Test drove an sle today dwp and ivory interior looked awesome. Like the white exterior because it looks great and I believe it should help hide minor dings and scratches but am a bit troubled about the stories of the rubber yellowing. Also, the ivory interior looks great but not really sure what color I would like for the long run. What do others think about their color choices? Hoping to find a color choice I will stay happy with.
  • vz18wpvz18wp Member Posts: 20
    I have the DWP and absolutely love the color! However, the rear bumper has yellowed somewhat. I will be addressing this with my dealer before my warranty ends.

I've enjoyed the ivory interior. It has a rich luxurious look.

Love this car!!!

'99 SE V6 (DWP with ivory cloth).
    29,000 miles and still quiet and smooth!
  • shaw10shaw10 Member Posts: 14
    I've been vacillatng between the Solara Convertible and the Miata...different cars, I know, but each has it's own charm...however, the convertible doesn't come with a stick ! Any new word on if and when? And if and when they are going to stiffen up the springs, sway bars, etc?
    Shaw