Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Solara

Comments

• har1bushhar1bush Posts: 207
    There could be many reasons why there maybe a lot of solaras in stock... the many reasons I can think of are: 1) where you live... here in CA there are plenty of solaras on the road; 2) which dealer u visited... once again, depending on the region and the way the dealer handles things there, there could be many or little solaras in stock. Besides, why hesitate just because you don't see as many solaras on the road? You know Toyota makes great cars and how ironic issit that you're complaining about there being too few of what you want when there are tens of thousands complaining that their next door neighbors all have a Camry or an Accord. If you like the Solara, take it! You can't go wrong
  • Thanks for your input. Do you own a Solara? I was just wondering since you did not hesitate to recommend it to me. Thanks for letting me know how popular it is in California. Maybe New Yorker's haven't caught on yet.
    no i dont have a solara...yet... but i've had plenty of experience with toyotas (my current pickup has 110000 miles and still running smooth). Plus, just going by the reviews, you could tell that the car has all the right components. I'd say the only viable alternatives are the Accord coupe and the Acura CL. I'd say if u have second thoughts, take a look at the base CL model if you'd be willing to put up another grand. Even though the CL costs a little more, it really costs pretty much the same as a loaded Maxima, but comes with things that the solara nor the maxima has, such as, xenon headlights, memory seats, power passenger seat, rear bucket seats (those could be a positive or a negative), roadside assistance, 3.2L V6 (more power), and 5 speed automanual tranny. I'd say $1K more is well justified over the Solara. But the solara does fit the bill very well and i doubt you will regret anything by getting the solara. :)
  • automophileautomophile Posts: 780
    The Solara is a great buy. I traded in my Lexus for the Solara because the Solara is MUCH more comfortable, and drives exactly the same! In 2-1/2 years I have not had a single repair. The car is extremely smooth and quiet at all times, and is a great looking car. I added a little more wood trim to the inside, and it even looks like the Lexus.

Regarding the other cars you mentioned, by comparison the Solara will provide a smoother ride, and has a much roomier back seat, if those features are important to you. There is actually more knee room in the rear of the Solara than was in my Lexus.

You can't go wrong with any of them, but there are differences. Good Luck!
  • airrideairride Posts: 2
    I have a new 2001 SLE convertible... more fun than should be legally allowed!

One of the things I have noticed with a 1000 miles on the car now is wind noise from the left(driver side) top, while the passenger's side is extremely quiet.

I've had the dealer check it out, and didn't find any problem. Wind noise was comparable to the other car on the lot.

So, why would the noise be much louder on one side of the car vs. the other?

Other than that, I LOVE THIS CAR! Since it's illegal to drive with the top up, it's not a huge issue!
  • mayzcrazemayzcraze Posts: 7
    Any advice is more than welcome...I'm in the market for a new car and am considering the above choices. The CL seems like a dream but I have heard horror stories about the paint quality and shoddy panel fitting. Performance-wise, the CL wins hands-down, but what is the best bang for the buck??? Overall quality and driver satisfaction??? Would appreciate any comments...THANKS!!!
  • trd81trd81 Posts: 2
    anyone know if 19' rims would fir on a solara?
    Sounds like you got it down as far as the CL goes... Price-wise, I think that all three of these cars carry similar values -- pay more for the CL, and you get more... pay less for the Accord, and you get less. In terms of build quality and dependability, nobody seems to beat Toyota. But, Honda and Acura arent far off at all.

Now, concerning your inquiry about the CL... I would give the benefit of doubt that Acura would have likely fixed the problems of body panel misfits because the CL just came out for '01 and first year models do usually have some bugs. However, seeing that it's the end of the year, and that you are likely to run into a car built recently, maybe Acura did fix its problems (look at the JD Power's initial quality survey for the TL -- it finished in the top 5). I would say that the CL is somewhat of a gamble, however, because it IS technically still a first year car.

To make this short, the Solara vs. Accord seems like a matter of preference. Solara has a better ride, but the Accord handles better. Solara has more room, but the Accord is more driver oriented. Solara costs a bit more and needs premium fuel (recommended) while the Accord only sips the good ol' 87 octane. etc. etc. You can't go wrong with these cars... see what kind of deals are out there and just go for it!~
  • hud116222hud116222 Posts: 46
    Everyone has their preferences in cars concerning handling, space, etc.. I just passed 2,000 miles on my 01 Solara SE-V6 Five Speed. I can say that I have never driven or ridden in a smoother or more quiet car. I am completely impressed with it. I don't even mind the coin box that has been the subject of great derision in this forum. :) My golf clubs fit easily in the trunk, too. In short, I don't anyone could go wrong with the Solara.
  • I got a quote from a dealer on the Solara SLE V6 and she said she could give it to me at $300.00 above invoice which sounds good especially with a $700.00 rebate afterward. However, what Edmunds calls their destination fee ($455.00) she calls a Delivery processing and handling fee. Then there is a charge of $407.00 for what she says is the delivery fee. Does Edmunds leave that out or is she giving me a story? Any answers? I am from NY by the way.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    The $455 is the destination fee. It can also be called freight, handling or anything else. As to the $407, I suspect that is the advertising fee that was discussed at this topic last week. Scroll back 20 to 40 posts for more details on that.
  • jraysjrays Posts: 20
    If anyone has the 2 wood dash kit pieces that fit the triangular vents on the top of the Solara dash, please let me know, if you would like to sell them. I purchased a wood dash kit last year and these pieces were not produced at that time. Those are the only pieces I'm looking for.

10,000 miles and still loving my Red/Silver 2000 SLE

Raymond

(jrsfl@aol.com)
    sounds like the dealer's messing around... Check out carsdirect.com for prices and see if the dealer is making the same/better deal then them. I found, for the most part, carsdirect.com to give prices similar or same as the Edmunds.com TMVs.
  • Hmmm...there are actually lots of Solaras on the road in the Queens area. They have been popping up left and right since I purchased mine back in mid June. I was also looking at the CL as well, but decided against it because I read that there are some build quality issues here and I also don't want a "name brand" car at this point. So far so good with my Solara. It looks better than the CL in my opinion, but the CL definitely has more features. (Although I probably wouldn't let anyone get into my backseat if Solara had a powered passenger-side front seat...takes too damn long.) Lots of Silver (mine) and Diamond Pearl Solaras here in Queens. A few Red's...haven't seen a green or black one. Hopefully there won't be as many Solaras when I go back to Boston, which is filled with European cars (especially Saab's.) Bunch of stuck up Red Sox fans...
  • airride: I dont' know where you are but Florida has the same law about it being illegal to drive with the top up...except during the daily afternoon thunderstorms.

trd81: pose that question on http://www.camryman.org

Cliff1: good to see you are still active on the board. What happened to your "sister from California" known as Dianne? I'll bet Edmunds ran her off!

beantownyankee: You have one less Solara Convertible SLE Red/Camel/Ivory in New York. I purchased mine USED from a dealer, sdubin1212@aol.com, on ebay. This car is great!

• airrideairride Posts: 2
    I remember seeing a post on this discussion thread a while back on "training the top" to collapse (close) in the correct place.

I noticed in closely looking at the top while it was closed, that the driver side did not fit behind the weather stripping, but was sitting on top. So, this allowed the wind noise in, but still kept it dry (my car has already been washed more than my previous 4 Runner!).

So, when I close and fasten the top, I grab the outside of the top by the front windshield frame, pull down just a bit while pulling down on the center portion of the top, and presto, slips right into place.

After doing this just twice over the last few days, the top slides into this spot more easily.

To: cooldude1755, I'm outside of Sacramento, CA.. so we don't see much rain past April until November! We had a freak rainstorm at the end of June, but that is a rare occurrence!

Cruising the highways in my Red/Black Ragtop!
  • eclipsegseclipsegs Posts: 66
    Has anyone seen that TV commercial with the guy being chased by the cops through skinny European streets banging off of every car and then he spots the Solara. He then slows down to look at it and speeds right up again after so not to hit the Solara.

Well, I have the commercial downloaded to my machine and have seen it many times and then I noticed something last night when that same commercial was played. It's now a different Solara! I work in the design world and pay very close attention to auto commercials, and it would seem that Toyota has put in place the 2002 or so Solara model.

When watching TV, see if you can spot the new commercial.
  • kamaukamau Posts: 4
    does anyone other than convertible owners have a problem with wind noise? i've noticed it while driving on the freeway, moreso during windy days. i also noticed that the weather stripping 'folds' behind the windows top edge. could the window angle require adjusting? i've had the stripping replaced twice already.

thanks,
    kamau '99 5sp V6 Twilight Blue 40K+ miles
  • radracerradracer Posts: 96
    kamau, have you noticed your color is hard to take care of or shows scratches easily? i was thinking of having my car repainted this color.
  • westsolarawestsolara Posts: 18
    Those who have a Silver Solara (and maybe others?) might
    want to consider adding a 5/8" gold accent stripe to the trim
    on the sides of the car. I did on mine and it make a noticeable
    difference and just for about $5.00!!!