Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Solara

Comments

• inkwretchinkwretch Member Posts: 5
    I looked at the specs and the Solara rear seat has just a smidge less space than the Camry 4-door. I guess it's the ease of access I'm mostly concerned about.

But hey, if I'm running errands with someone and it's too much effort for them to get in and out, they can just sit in the back and relax if it's that comfortable, right?
  • jschambergerjschamberger Member Posts: 32
    I've had my 04 Solara since September and have had people in and out of the back seat a few times. Not too difficult to get in and out because the seat moves up VERY far and the seatbelt never gets in the way.

I even drove 15 hours in one day with 3 people in the car (to get home for the holidays) and the person in the back seat never complained (more than enough room for them... she was also 5' 9" tall).

The doors are big and can be an issue depending on where you live and go. If you are in a normal parking area, you'll be fine but if the spots are a little smaller than normal (as they are for me at my work), it can be a squeeze getting in and out.

If you are really worried about getting door dings (like I am) just park far away evertime and you won't have any worries about the door size. :)

Good Luck!
  • inkwretchinkwretch Member Posts: 5
    Thank you! That's just the kind of anecdotal information I'm looking for....any more out there?
  • toyotamantoyotaman Member Posts: 3
    Toyota should look into dent resistant doosr, as there is nothingingworse than a car with so few lines anda alot of bumps.
  • russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    Shame on Totota for not offering bodyside moldings at least as an option! Honda does.
    We solved the problem on our '04 "Absolutely Red" Solara with a perfectly color-matched OE style bodyside molding kit from "Trim Gard" in London,Ontario, Canada. Go to www.trim-gard.com.
    The moldings have factory-formed spear ends, and mount with 3M Foam Tape.
    I applied them myself and they look great!
    If they don't have a dealer in your area, they will ship direct to you, US or Canada.
  • toyotamantoyotaman Member Posts: 3
    Do they match up with ost cars, as others did not. When will Toyota make a car with the little thungs like ent resistant doors, like America wants????
  • theflowtheflow Member Posts: 98
    I read somewhere, either here or the Lexus ES330 forum, about this tranny hesitation. Experienced that a few times already while merging and passing. All I can say is, SCARY!!!!

Anyone knows if there's any solution to it.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ....800 easy miles each way from California's central valley. Best mileage: 31.75 Phoenix to El Centro....used the A/C. Worst: 24.55 local Phoenix. Six cylindros y manual transmiccion hard to beat...ez
  • 99solara99solara Member Posts: 51
    I need to replace my front struts. I would not mind a little less bounce than stock, but no rough riders. Any suggestions?
  • oxmeadoxmead Member Posts: 79
    Well, I've had my 2004 SLE V6 for 2 weeks now and so far so good. The best word to describe this car is "SMOOTH". Everything works smooth, from the sunglass holder to the windows. I just hope it doesn't develope all the problems my Saturn had. Gas mileage hasn't been that bad ,averaging about 25 mpg,according to the trip computer. The ivory leather has had positive comments from everyone who's seen it.
  • david2david2 Member Posts: 12
    Can u share the price you paid for the Solara with me? I want to buy one but sure about the price. Since you just have it for 2 weeks, I guess that would be very up-to-date.

Many Thanks!
    I'm sure I paid too much, but it's the exact combo I wanted and I got tired of playing the games salesmen enjoy. Sticker was just over $28000 and I got about $1200 off. I can live with that .
    That is helpful!
  • rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    Don't worry about whether or not you paid too much, that just takes away from the enjoyment of your new Solara, It's a beautiful car and who cares what others think of your price. You got exactly what you wanted - now go have fun driving it!!!
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Member Posts: 301
    Got my SLE V6 for 26500.00 (sticker was 27900.00)
  • icangelat03icangelat03 Member Posts: 45
    Just purchased a new solara convertible and couldn't be happier with it. But I am wondering about exactly how to wash the new rag top. I've been doing some reading and researching on the internet. Also talking to dealers, etc. about special care for the convertible top. The manufacturers book says to hand wash only with a water and hand soap mixture. Online I have read that automatic car washes with spray waxes should be avoided and that you should use a special brand "recommended by the manufacturers of the material used to make the cover". I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience or advice. With the coming dry spell here, I'm looking to wash soon
    Has anyone that lives in a state that requires front plates put a chrome or gold surround on the front plate? Did you use a 2 or 4 hole surround? I was thinking a 4 hole might work better, but I'll have to drill 2 holes for the bottom and secure them with nuts from behind. I think if I tried a 2 hole one, it may stick out too far on the bottom and get ripped off if I went though a car wash.
                                          Thanks
    I got a nice deal on my SLE V6 in St. Louis. It has 6 miles when I bought it last Friday and now it is 156 miles.

Unfortunately, the tires seem not good enough. I have Bridgestone Turanza EL42. One tire exploded on my first trip. Really sad about it. And it is not covered by warranty. They are bloody expensive. About $200 including mounting, etc. here.
  • tprjimtprjim Member Posts: 16
    A while ago someone posted a comment about after-market strut mounts; I can't locate it. I (my Solara actually) suffer from cold weather clunks from the front suspension area. Can someone suggest a fix for this un-Toyota like problem? Thanks for any forthcoming advice.
  • jschambergerjschamberger Member Posts: 32
    There has to be some kind of warranty offered by Bridgestone. Especially with 150 miles on them. I'd check with Bridgestone directly to see if they will give you a refund.

I like my tires... quiet and held up well when I accidentally curb checked my car this winter. Tire held up well, wheel did not, I have two chunks missing from it... looks bad, but don't have the money to buy a new one (probably will cost $300-$400 for a new wheel).
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I couldn't find that comment either but I did notice that there were many references to a Technical Service Bulletin TBS being issued to Toyota dealers on this problem.
  • tprjimtprjim Member Posts: 16
    Thank you for your response! I found the posting in the Camry problems site.I'm off to the TSB library. Thanks again.
  • hapunahapuna Member Posts: 16
    I recently purchased canvas top care from www.mermaid.com. They manufacture care products for boats. This product was also recommended for use on convertible tops. A 32oz. bottle was only $10.00.

I think this product should be helpful. This is a big concern of mine considering this is the first time I've owned a convertible with a canvas top.

Thanks Tyresmoker on your NAV system opinion - picking my vehicle up tomorrow night.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Let us know how it works and how easy it is to use!
  • cooldad24cooldad24 Member Posts: 163
    All name brand tire Manufacturer has 90 dyas warranty through their service center will cover it from 10%-90% depends on the mileage or time. The bottom line is this is for defective by itself not external impact like hitting the curb or punch by sharp item. Call Bridgestone for detail and possible inspection.

I place a chrome tag frame at front with 2 screw and hold up fine. I believe two will do unless you add a metal frame which is heavy.
    But I will go back and have another check. Anyhow, the tire is relatively expensive and I could find any locally. I have wait for about 3 days for them to be ordered from the warehouse.

I still love my Solara, though.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,489
    Had a chance to see a convertible in person, but couldn't get in or drive it 9it was still in PDI getting washed). From the outside, it doesn't seem that the rear vision will be very good, based on the ratio of top vs. window, and the gigantic rear head rests.

For you new owners (or anyone who had a chance to try one out), what was the rear vision like with the top up?

FWIW, the Sebring looks to have much more side window area, plus a bigger rear window, with a smaller blind spot (also helped by not having rear head rests that stick up).

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• tyresmokertyresmoker Member Posts: 266
    The mirror placement & functionality is excellent. As in most convertibles the thick c pillar is almost unavoidable. I think they focused on driving position to be sure the blind spot would be minimized.
    The only thing this car is really missing is a memory seat feature. And that is really nit-picking.
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    Hi - I'm contemplating purchasing a Solara SLE automatic as a second car and several of the car magazines have really knocked the 4 cylinder engine for power. I don't really want to have to put premium gas in my car and I'm looking primarily for fuel economy but I do road trips and occasionally have to pass someone on a two lane road. I've had GM fours (Cavalier and Skylark) and never had much of a problem if I plan the pass properly but I'd like somebody's opinion who has a Solara 4. I also have read that the cars with the 17" tires don't ride as well as the ones with 16" tires. The 4 cylinder SLE appeals to me but I don't want to feel like I'm driving a Geo Metro if I have to pass somebody. Let me know. Thanks!
    Book calls for plugs, oil/filter, AF, coolant replacement. Around here (northern CA) dealers averaging $400-475 for 60,000 "service"

Any thoughts?
    I have owned (or currently own) both the v6 and 4-cyl Toyota Camrys and have experienced outstanding reliability from both. I will say this, the V6 and 4-cyl. cars are completely different in ride and drive. The v6 is heavier, much more quiet and more refined than the 4 cyl.
    My wifes new conv. has the v6 and i have to admit, the engine is as close to silent as they come. My point? it all depends on what you are looking for as far as a driving experience. The 4 is far more economical (btw..the V6 does NOT require premium fuel) but the V6 delivers a much better overall driving experience. Drive both cars back to back..that should make your decision easy.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,489
    Find a good independant mechanic and get the same service doen for $300.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

...appreciate input from stickguy.

1. IV versus VI: '00 SE V-6, stick, 215/55's has performed extremely well since 5/00 purchase. The biggest surprise continues to be fuel econ. Would you believe 25-27 city/31-33 hiway? Like 'smoker sez: drive both btob.

2. BTW, since the 2003 MY, only the four may be had with a stick. As a nation, we appear shiftless (speaking from a clutch, pressure place and throw-out bearing standpoint)..........ez
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    The V6 is nicer and quieter and more powerful, but for his purposes, the 4 cylinder will be fine.
    He said this a second car, he is primarily looking for fuel economy and he "occasionally" does road trips and would like to be able to pass faster than a Geo Metro.
    The 4 cylinder is slower than the V6 and will make more engine noise when he passes, but it is quite adequate for a second car. It is not that slow with the standard engine. Just cruising along on the freeway on a long trip, even the 4 cylinder is quiet, but the engine will be nosier during the few seconds the revs are up while passing.
    If he said maximum performance was his number 1 priority, the the V6 would be the best choice.
  • hapunahapuna Member Posts: 16
    Hello All:

Picked up my convertible last night. Thoroughly impressed. I have an Absolutely Red with Ivory top/interior and the NAV system. The ride is quiet and tight. The NAV system really increases the impressiveness of the console. My only concern is the rear visibilty - but the mirrors are well placed and should counteract any visibility difficulties.

I would highly recommend this car to anyone - looking forward to the Midwest summer.
  • cards28cards28 Member Posts: 145
    Can anyone give me their opinions: pros and cons. Anything else that might be helpful.

I'm new to this site, so will be interesting to see what your experiences you have had with your Solara.

Thanks..............:)
    Nice job, good luck with the new ride! I am no expert as we have only had ours for 6 days, but the visibility is really not as bad as it seems upon initial drive. You will just rely on your sideviews more than you probably have in past vehicles.
    Totally agree with the nav system, finishes the interior nicely.
    Enjoy!
    I definitely agree with tyresmoker on the visibility issue. I was intially worried as well, but have quickly learned to use my side mirrors, which usually do me fine. The only time I really have a problem is backing out of angled parking spaces, then it is difficult to see anyone coming at you. I usually just take it very slowly and have been fine. As for the Nav, I agree that it compliments the interior, I personally simply couldn't see paying 2 grand when a portable will cost me only a thousand. But enjoy the new ride, hopefully it will get warm again soon for us :)
    Isn't only about $1300 on a Solara?
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    There was a positive review on the new Solara in yesterday's Philadelphia Inquirer. It's by Ann M. Job with AP, so I guess it appeared in other papers as well.

[I can't link it without showing my email address. But you can get there via www.philly.com]

She test-drove the 4-cyl 5-speed, and liked the car a lot. "...surprisingly decent performance."

Also, "The fit and finish on the test car was excellent, inside and out. Notice, if you can, that the '04 Solara has smaller gaps between sheet metal pieces - down to 0.5 millimeter or less - than its predecessor."
  • cards28cards28 Member Posts: 145
    Any info on this model? What are paying for it and what part of the country.

BTW, I going to sell my 2003 Jetta 1.8T fully loaded for a SE Sport V6 Solara because I don't like the turbo and the leather seats. I've had a turbo before but it was a manual tranny which had a very short turbo lag. But this Tiptronic is no much fun to drive with the long lag. The leather seats seem to be too hard on my lower back pain.

Keep me posted. Thanks
  • gtichangtichan Member Posts: 5
    I owned a 2001 SE V6 Solara before, and since I was sick of cloth seats and the boring ride, I changed my car to VW GTI VR6 manual.

I know what you mean by the tipotronic/1.8T kicking in slow.. its takes like 1-2sec before the engine responds to your throttle, thanks to drive-by-wire....useless technology and the turbo lag.
    I really cant recommend you the solara for a person who has been driving german car.( not that the solara is a bad car) Have you looked into passat V6 or audi A4's? To be solara was dead boring. It was quiet as hell, luxurious and maintanece free... well you cant complain..I guess. but I wanted something more! so I got the vw.
  • sazaman1sazaman1 Member Posts: 22
    anyone bought a solara convertible SE in midatlantic region less than MSRP yet?
    After flawless service from three Toyotas through the 90's, we too went to VW for a '00 Passat V6 5 speed with all the toys. After three years and 41k miles, we are glad to be back with a topless Toyota. Too many problems with the VW. From burning oil to dead batteries, broken suspension pieces, constant disagreements with VW service advisors etc. it just was not worth it.
    I will be the first to admit, the car was a blast to drive, I was never left with the feeling the car was built to last...Good luck with the V-dub....
  • cooldad24cooldad24 Member Posts: 163
    1. The Navigation is $1,300 not 2grands unless you add the money you are going to spend on the mall you found in a trip to a new place from the NAV.

2. The V6 use regular, not premium.

3. The VW GTI VR6 is not at the same class but in the same price range. The GTI is comparable to Corolla in compact sedan/hatch back. The Hp and torque is not on the par with Solara V6 but has good acceleration due to its much lighter weight. Plus the internal space is far behind the Solara at the back seat as weel as the trunk. They are for different buyers. More than one magazine has comment the interior materials and design is comparable to Lexus than Toyota which I strongly agree. So if you want a luxury coup with good performance but smooth and quiet ride under 30K out of door, IMO, nothing could beat Solara V6. Even so, it's not perfect and none is. So write down your preference and set the priority before doing the comparing test drive. This will help on making decision.
    The interior "look" is compariable to a Lexus, but the materials are not (except maybe IS300).
    Sit in a Solara and a new ES330 back to back and you will see and feel a difference.
    It's nice enough for the price though since an ES330 costs more.
    I recently purchased a SLE convertible, with dark charcoal interior and am disappointed with the "woodgrain" interior, it has a reddish tint that doesn't match anything else inside the car. I have heard that it is possible to replace the panels with ones from an SE or SE sport. Does anyone know where I can find more information on this? Thanks
  • rivermanriverman Member Posts: 5
    My first time here, but I just had to respond to this issue. Yes, in fact there is a TSB out, it was released in January, I have a copy of it. There is a problem with the Camry 4 door and with my car the Solaras. I have started the Lemon Law procedures and have been very frustrated with the dealer, and now the factory service rep saying it is fixed, or doesn't have a problem. Mine was so bad if I let go of the wheel, I would change lanes into oncoming traffic. I had to threaten them with a dangerous law suit before they admited anything. After 4 attempts the car still floats and pulls left.

Toyota knows of the issue, and I have been e-mailing them at toyota.com, per the recomendation of my attorney. I guess it's just a batch of vin's and from what it sounds like, we both have been blessed with this batch! I suggest all of us hit their e-mail center and complain as well as calling the 800 number, but, my attorney states "keep it in writing!

The car is great, except for the pulling and eventual tire wear issues, and hopefully not an accident. My car was purchased in January, it's an xle fully loaded with dvd, and the 17" wheels. What ever you do folks, don't go an upgrade the rims and tires, it will give Toyota an excuse to cut you out of any possible settlement, however, the Japanese will NEVER call a recall, they will call it a performance upgrade.

The race shop I am now talking to states to switch the tires, but I am not going to spend that money, and now that the factory rep has cleared the car, I have been told NO dealership will touch the car and my only option is arbitration, GREAT service Toyota!!!!!

I will be performing substantial tests at several shops, proving what Toyota already knows, this car has major problems in the front end. For My dealership tried the TSB and IT DID NOT WORK folks, trust me, I almost hit oncoming traffic!

They stated their best mechanic "Tweeked" it and now it was fixed, yet I still pulls to the left, and with the smallest little bump, even from a reflector, the wheel kind of jerks to the left. I even took the service manager out for a ride and scared him, before he admitted, yes it has a problem. But the factory rep avaoided me, and they would not give me his/her name or phone number to take him on a ride. He just drove it and stated, correcting the car and having to tap the wheel is acceptable, that my friends is BS!

I will post additional problem and solutions, for Toyota has assigned a Lemon filing person to my case?????? They know of the issue, and even whick VIN number have the problems, trust me.

Don't acept the BS, start writing their customner service e-mail address and unload on them!
  • rivermanriverman Member Posts: 5
    I had a second major issue with this new xle. 1 day after driving the car in my suit, the cream leather showed massive wear along the path of my belt. The factory rep stated it would wear in, but after 3 months, and being pissed about it pulling left, they decided to replace the leather, and call it delamination and a defective dye process of the leather!

Funny, I wear the same belt and now, it doesn't happen any more. Toyota is sneaky and will notice a problem, repair it, and if you don't complain, never mention it!!!

The seat looks great, but the pulling is still annoying and get's worse day after day.
  • solara00solara00 Member Posts: 81
    We purchased a 2000 SLE Solara V6. It pulled to the left from day 1. One day the dealership blamed the "road crown" (which I thought should send your car to the right) and the next time it was "the wind."

They never have fixed it and I just make sure I have both hands on the wheel at all times.

Other than that (I know, except for being killed...) it has been a great car. But I thought they would have fixed this in 4 years! Good grief.