Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Solara

Comments

• mitchfloridamitchflorida Member Posts: 420
    When I first saw the new 2004 Solara, I was really impressed with the styling. Now the more I see of it, the less graceful I think it is. Someone said it looks like a red vacuum cleaner from the front.. Anyone else feel that the looks of the Solara will not be popular?
  • tyresmokertyresmoker Member Posts: 266
    yeah, good place to ask as most of those on this board either own one or are seriously considering buying one..
    So tell me, how can a black car look like a red vacuum cleaner anyhow??
  • sazaman1sazaman1 Member Posts: 22
    Are not there some black vacuum cleaners???

agree with you mitchflorida about the look. It is not growing on me either. Even then, I most likely will end up buying one, as this is the most practical 4-seater reliable convertible in this price range.
    are completely subjective..imho, this car is all about the color. I have seen three color combos so far and admit the car looks the best with a matching roof-body combo.
    I wanted a tan interior in ours and my dealer informed me that the tan interior would include a tan top..and it wouldn't look so good. He is correct. There is a black one on ebay right now with tan...looks lousy with the top up.
    My local dealer has a red/black combo with a $5k markup on it.
  • opencarsopencars Member Posts: 7
    Wondering if anyone has put these on the new Solara? I have been talking to Tire Rack for two weeks. The problem is their web site calls for
    225/45/18, but the internal computer says 215/50/18 ? In addition they are trying to find out the impact,if any, on the tire warning system. Any info is appreciated.
  • nc_tomnc_tom Member Posts: 9
    Picked my brand new 2004 solara SLE convertible Wednesday morning, and it looks great to me. I got absolutely red, stone leather, black top. I love it - even better than I thought it would be, and I had high expectations. Haven't had a chance to do much as I've been busy at work, but even driving with the top up, I got several hard neck swivels from other motorists. Definitely a head turner. I'm leaving shortly to drive home in 68 degree sunshine!

Obviously, the looks are great IMO. I will say the car looks awesome with the roof down, and not as good with it up. I bought a convertible to drive with the roof down, so I'm fine with that.

The weather has been cool, so I've only driven a few miles with the top down before I took delivery. With the windows up, and the windscreen installed, there is so little wind in the cabin it is unbelievable. My wife and I were comfortable in 50 degree weather really, and had a conversation in normal voice with no effort. The ride is very quiet with the top up, with only a small amount of wind noise with the top up at 70 mph. I think the noise is only noticeable though due to everything else being so incredibly quiet.

The size is good. My wife and I sit comfortable in the back. My kids are fine, and are even able to use a booster to help sit up higher to see out the window better. The trunk is big for a convertible - great for beach trips.

Performance isn't bad, though I don't plan to push it much for the first thousand miles. It is tempting though. Even with minimal effort, it has good acceleration, and it handles well. I think the performance is probably the weakest aspect of the car, which is what I though before I bought it too. However, it has plenty for me, and the styling, comfort, large size, and reliability are more important to me.

As far the negatives listed on the list. I agree the fake wood accents could be better, including covering the middle console where the radio and climate control are. However, it is what I expected based on the solara coupes I test drove, and I certainly don't dislike it. The rear window visibility is limited, but nothing a few bubble mirrors won't fix. I haven't experienced any pulling to the left. So, no issues at all in my mind.

Anyone interested in the buying experience can check my previous posts on the convertible board, but I will say one thing in response to a previous post. I did call around to several mid Atlantic dealers, and found nobody willing to deal.
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Member Posts: 301
    TRD just came out with a wheel/tire package for the Solara.They are a 5 spoke design with 18 inch tires and they look awesome! (my local dealer had them on a blue 04)
  • godfather5254godfather5254 Member Posts: 1
    hey i have a 04 solara that pulled to the right after they worked on it , it now pulls to the left just had an arbutation hearing on it 4/14/04 will find out with in the next 10 days what will happen.
  • valdivavaldiva Member Posts: 3
    Does the 2004 Solara Convertible have Roll Bars? Safety feature list on Toyota's site does not list roll bars. Read previous posts and they do not seem to be in agreement of yes or no. New owners - any info?
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ....I just got a recall notice from msn indicating that 'certain' 2000 Solara models have rear suspension(rear axle) concerns. Anyone know what that is about? Certainly news to me....ez
  • silversolarasilversolara Member Posts: 113
    heard about it when i first got my car. i called my dealer and asked them to run my VIN against the recall list. my number wasn't on it, and that was that. i forgot which 'build' months fell under the recall parameters.
  • copper00copper00 Member Posts: 1
    Greetings all.

I searched the discussions but haven't seen anything on this..

Bought my '00 Solara SE a year ago with 31K and thus far has been a great car.

The only issues I've had have been my moonroof being a little noisy on the highway(which can be 85% solved by closing the sliding inner visor, and most recently my rear light indicator stays on despite all my lights appearing to function fine.

Anyone else have these occurrences(especially the rear light indicator)?

Thanks!
  • lfmlfm Member Posts: 35
    I disagree with your pricing summary. I will be picking up my Black SLE Conv't this Friday. It has Navigation, Vehicle Stability and Traction Control, Wheel Locks and Preferred Equipment Group (Front & Rear Carpeted Mats, Cargo Mat, First Aid Kit, Cargo Net and Glass Break Sensor for the standard alarm system. With these options the cars MSRP is $32,237. My purchase price is $30,211.!!!!!!!!!

I live in the Northeast, and if you searched hard enough, you could also have found this kind of deal. There were no other add-ons other than the Title fees of $55.
    Nice find. Whereabouts do you live in the northeast? Judging from those doc fees that is not a major metro dealer you bought it from. Getting a sweet deal makes the car even nicer...That is the exact same car we have..you are going to really enjoy it!
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,382
    by me (southern NJ, aka metro Philadelphia) you aren't getting any kind of deal. The few that have hit the dealers have been snapped right up, so you are pretty much looking at picking something off the allocation sheet. Needless to say, they aren't particularly interested in discounting.

Even so, an SE with the convenience package (which has everything I consider important) still only has an MSRP of about 28k, which is quite a bargain considering what other 4 seat mid-size convertibles go for. Go European (SAAB, Bmw, Audi) and it will be 40k+. Sebring is about the same as Toyota, but you do get rebates. PT Cruiser? Beetle? Not really comparable, but just as expensive.

Wonder if Honda can slice the roof off of an Accord coupe?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• accurateaccurate Member Posts: 4
    I have checked all of Florida , no deals to be had on this car .. I was even quoted 5,000. above list .. needless to say I passed , but I did find the car I was looking for Silver vert w all options, inc 18 wheels and tires w nav , wind screen , VSC and full mats -- along w toyo guard ( another 600.00 option ) and I paid list price ,, 35, 216.00 .. I was happy to get it .. car is beautiful and I have never received so many nice compliments .. only complaint is no memory seats and vision out of rear view mirror is tough .. lots of blind area .. But what a great car ...
  • 112342112342 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket hard top for the Solara.
    Yeah, it is called a coupe. I cannot imagine anyone would invest in the tooling for such a limited production car. Besides, the softtop is very well insulated. I live in southern new england and wouldn't even consider one even if it was offered.
  • rivermanriverman Member Posts: 5
    Did Toyota assign an arbitrator, or did you go to the one in Sacramento? Currently, I have had one assigned to me by Toyota, but not sure how to proceed? Their arbitrator doesn't sound fair? Your comment and advise would be helpful.
  • rivermanriverman Member Posts: 5
    Did you go to their arbitrator, did they assign one, or did you contact the third party one in the manual?
    drove an SE coupe today (to see if I wanted to persue a convertible). Very smooth and quiet, but couldn't get a real feel for the level of handling. At least the steering was nice (decent feel and nicely weighted). Could hardly tell it was moving, never mind on! Lots of wind noise from the american flag they forgot to take out of the window though!

Large trunk, and a ton of rear leg room, even decent headroom. Should be plenty roomy (even as a convert) fro my 2 kids.

Question for owners: How easy is it to get out from the rear without help opening the door? Do you think an 8 year old could get in/out by themselves, without endangering nearby cars?

I haven't had a 2 door since I had kids (not counting my Miata, since there is no back seat), and am trying to anticipate issues that might make me regret it.

Did feel like a more expensive car though, even with the cloth seats. Smooth, smooth powertrain, but mediocre rear visibility (backing up was more of a problem than when driving).

The car I am picking up is from a suburban Pittsburgh dealer. The $55.00 Title fee is set by the state of Pennsylvania. I live in the Philadelphia Metro area in Southern NJ. I'll drive 350 miles any day for a $2,000+ discount. The dealers in my area all wanted list + Pack add-ons.

LFM
    To All:

RED- ARLINGTON TOYOTA, ILL.
    RED- SANDY SPRINGS TOYOTA, ATLANTA AREA
    ALL IN MARYLAND,BLACK- YOUNGER TOYOTA
                    FROST- TOYOTA OF BOWIE
                    BLACK- BROWN'S TOYOTA
    BLACK- SUPERIOR TOYOTA, ERIE PA.
    LUNAR- FAULKNER TOYOTA, TREVOSE PA.

THERE ARE MANY, MANY MORE. GOOD HUNTING AND NEGOTIATING.
    sales person that I am dealing with said they sold and delivered 4 (all that have arrved), and the next 4 on their incoming allocation are all pre-sold. He was pushing to do a "customer preference" order, which I thought were unreliable (or hard to do) with Toyotas, but he said it could arrive by late May/early June.

Of course, that might be to get you locked up and out of the market, so it's a crap shoot.

If you have to wait much into the summer, might as well wait for the fall and get an '05 (or a better deal when the weather turns. Or both).

At least there aren't too many variations/colors to confuse things (not like a Sienna where 40+ combinations only exist in the brochure, and will never be made).

If I decide to get one, it will be Lunar mist (since you can't get navy blue), SE w/the convenience package, and that's it. S/B about 28K MSRP, which I think is a good value, compared to what the compitition is, especially at that price point.

• pomeara1pomeara1 Member Posts: 2
    I just recently traded in my 2001 Celica for a 2004 Solara convertible! This car is way cool! I get so many compliments from everyone that sees it, since no one recognizes it yet. With so few of 2004 models available, my dealer had to get one delivered from over 200 miles away, but it was worth it to find a red SE model. If you're willing to live without the leather seats, and you don't like the bad-looking fake wood, I'd suggest getting the SE model with the convenience package that has the 6-disc CD changer that is standard on the SLE. You lose the leather seats with the SE, but you gain the better looking aluminum trim. You also save 2-3 grand with the SE model, and the seats are still very nice quality.

The real visibility is poor with the top up, thanks to the roll bars in the big rear seat headrests that block what little window you have. This takes some getting used to. I'd suggest parking the car in parking lots such that you limit how much backing up you need to do.

After driving a much smaller and less powerful Celica for over 2 years, this has been quite a different car to get used to, although all the controls are basically in the same place (except for the "mist" option is no longer on the wipers, that disappeared for some odd reason).

Although the V6 is very smooth, and you can squeal the tires from a standing start, this is still not a sports car. At 192 inches in length, it is still a large car to maneuver, so you can't take it through corners like a typical sports car. But once you get used to it, it's still worth it.

Some nice touches are the locks on the glove compartment and for the trunk, in case you leave it parked with the top down. I wish they had the same lock for the middle console, since all your CD's are still vulnerable.

With the top up, the ride is amazingly quiet. There is still a bit of cowl shake when you hit some nasty bumps (we have plenty on Michigan roads), but it's not nearly as bad as typical convertibles that are originally built as coupes with the top later chopped off.

Keep in mind the owner's manual suggests not taking it through a normal car wash, and my dealer also higher suggested the same, since it may cause damage to the roof. Try to find a "touchless" car wash if you can't wash it at home yourself.

For just under 30 grand, this car is an amazing value! Just think how much cooler you'll look than driving a plain old Sebring convertible!
  • shellyshelly Member Posts: 22
    It seems down here in fla MSRP is the best you can do. How is the wind noise with the top up. I drove a 2003 and did not like the wind noise and the front end seemed too loose. I like the new model but is it built as a convertible or is it Chopped in Calif.
  • pomeara1pomeara1 Member Posts: 2
    See my note from 4/24. This car is extremely quiet with the top up, it even rivals many hardtops. It's built as a convertible from the ground up in Georgetown, KY, not a chop-top.
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Member Posts: 301
    I'm on my way to pick up some take out the other night and i pull up to 2 kids in a Mustang GT at a red light.The light turns green and sure enough the kid punches it ans so do i and low and behold my 04 SLE is staying about a half a fender ahead of it!...we wne t for 2 gears untill the next light and i ask the kid what year his stang was and he replied that it's a 98 (the slower ones)and then he replies "that thing is quick!".Just to note that i am running Mobil 93 and a K&N filter.
    Picked up my Solara Convert, on Sat. I bought it at Diehl Toyota in Butler PA, outside of Pittsburgh. As I stated, I paid 30,211. It listed for 32,237. Very happy with the deal. Used the Nav. system for the drive back to South, New Jersey. It was fabulous. Got 31.9 MPG for the entire trip. That was using Regular gas. It is only rated for 29 on the highway. With the top up and windows closed, it was as quiet as my 2002 Envoy, which my son drove back. Can't wait for some other long drives this summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lfm
    from other V-6 owners...............ez
  • solara_pasolara_pa Member Posts: 3
    Have '04 SLE. Anyone have any personal experience with a HID conversion kit for the '04? Most of the kits available will come with HID d2 bulbs rebased into H11 bulbs which will fit into the normal Solara low beams. H11 is fairly hard to come by in re-based HID yet, but's it's out there.

My concern is that most of the importers selling them want a 20% restocking fee or have no return at all. HID bulbs are longer in length sometimes then the regular halogen bulbs... With Toyota's "HID wanna-be" elliptical dome that the bulb goes into, I'm concerned the HID bulb could actually go in too far and bang the front of the dome and not lock in. I'm not willing to spend $450.00 to find out they won't go in thanks to the shape of the '04 headlights.

P.S. Not interested in the non-HID halogens that claim to be 4,000-5,000k in color temperature - cause they're not!

Any thoughts/experiences with real HID?

Thanks
  • solara_pasolara_pa Member Posts: 3
    LFM and PA folks in general

Just so you know -- PA title fee is $22.50. That $55.00 is called a "documentary fee." It is NEGOTIABLE and not a state required fee. It is the result of a "gentleman's agreement" between the dealers' associations and the commonwealth which sets the maximum (up from 40 something to 55 recently)--- this fee is for the dealer's expense to prepare all of your paperwork... I know it's only $55.00, but I love how they try to make it look like a state required fee....

next time tell them they already made enough!
  • oxmeadoxmead Member Posts: 79
    I don't see a need for HID lights in the 2004 Solara. Would the HID's be that much brighter? As is, they're the brightest lights I've ever had in a car. People are always flashing, thinking I have the high beams on. Especially when the fogs are on. It's kinda weird that the lights only shine on the road and not higher than about 4 feet of the ground. It's like going through a tunnel.
  • labattsjflabattsjf Member Posts: 2
    I just got my 2004 solara se v6 on monday. i love everything about the car, but i noticed i have the left pull problem. it is now april 28 2004. is there any fix or sign of a fix to come?
  • banditcosmobanditcosmo Member Posts: 6
    HI,
    I might be buying a SE Sport v6 (trying to buy it for under $21,000) and I've test driven it and I have not noticed a left pull. Does this start over time or should I notice it right away ?
    Thanks, Tony
  • zhutouzhutou Member Posts: 2
    Since the engine is quiet. I can feel the rear window and ceiling shake when the road is bumpy. Does anybody have the same problem. Seems it only happens around 40 ~ 50 mph.
  • mfullmermfullmer Member Posts: 773
    Is post 3357 about a coupe or convertible? They are oh so different I feel they need their separate (already have) topics!
  • jjx456jjx456 Member Posts: 41
    It's not my post, but I would assume it's the coupe, since the convertible hasn't been out for 5 months.
  • jkpsarasjkpsaras Member Posts: 29
    Have a 1 month old 2004 Solara SLE V6 with the 17 wheels. I'm noticing a thump noise when the rear wheels hit a bump. Sounds like it's coming from the rear shocks. Has anyone else noticed this?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    It's not closed. Here's the 2004/05 forum:

kirstie_h "2004/2005 Toyota Solara Convertible" Apr 5, 2004 4:36pm
  • loucopitsloucopits Member Posts: 103
    I had a similiar problem with my 2002 Solara SE. This was my post when I had it diagnosed and fixed. I'd ask the Toyota service manager to ride in the back seat and listen to your thump.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Since I ended up with an unexpected day off, I called Walker Toyata in Dayton, Ohio and spoke to John Moss, service manager. He promptly asked me to come in and take him for a ride to diagnose the problem. It was a loose nut on the rear strut, promptly fixed, tested, and ended the problem. Pleasure to deal with that service department.
  • zhutouzhutou Member Posts: 2
    SLE V6, bought in Nov 2003, manufactured at Kentucky.

Thanks for the post afterwards. Mine's noise problem seems to be the same problem. They agree to have a look, but the dealer refuses to give me a rental car while they need a day to look at it.

They should give us one, it is the car's problem, right?!
  • jschambergerjschamberger Member Posts: 32
    I asked the same questions about 6 months ago when I got my 04 Solara... no responses. You are correct, H11 HID Conversion is very hard to come by.

Here is my question:

The new top end Celica offers HID's. Do you think it's possible to just by that kit (assuming you can figure a way to fit them in). Do you think the ellipisoid dome's are the same???
  • labattsjflabattsjf Member Posts: 2
    i bought the same car and had the left pull problem right away. i brought it back to the dealer and they checked for a tsb from toyota. they found one and it stated to try rotating the tires and if that didnt work to adjust the mount assembly and then reallign. they followed this tsb to a t and now my car is dead on and i have no more complaints about the car. hope that helps.
    To all who are looking for a 2004 Solara Convertible that is discounted by the dealer, should check out Diehl Toyota of Butler, PA. He has a Frost one in stock with about an $1800.00 discount. I bought mine there last week and got over a $2000.00 discount. Ask for Alan
    saw a white w/tan top today at the Toyota dealer (in the process of being delivered, so I still haven't sat in one). IMO, not a nice color combo. I think it looks better with the black top, in silver (or red if you like it). Black looks good, but I don't do black cars, so a nice medium/navy blue could be a nice look. Of course, they don't offer it, which is par for the course.

Most of us agree: the V-6 is hardly an econobox. With no automatic to spin, a recent Mount Shasta to Zamora (about 30 miles north of Sacramento) 193 miles on 5.4 gallons. If you choose to do the math.....best,ez

2000 SE-V6 5-speed manual/215's
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    That's great EZ... I've also been impressed with the gas mileage I'm able to get with my V6 too, and to top that off, even with regular grade gas! It isn't as economical as the 4 cylinder, but it's not a HUGE tradeoff, considering the extra power and torque, which comes in really handy if ever you need to tow something, passing someone on a 2-lane highway, etc...

Glad to see you're still enjoying your Solara.
    Does anyone know if the Front passenger occupant classification indicator light is supposed to stay on all the time. This light is located under one of the 3 multi information displays in the upper center of the dash. It is housed under the same canopy as the outside temperature gauge. It is the one to the right of the group of 3 canopies. The top part states in white light "PASSENGER AIRBAG". Under this light is one that says "ON" and below "OFF". In my car, even if the seat is unoccupied the top light "PASSENGER AIRBAG" stays on all the time. If the seat is occupied by an adult, the "ON" light also stays on all the time. If it is occupied by a child, or there is a problem in the system, the "OFF" light is on all the time.
  • icangelat03icangelat03 Member Posts: 45
    Yes, the light stays on all the time as a reminder that there is a passenger airbag. and then the on/off light comes on if there is a passenger in the front seat. everything is working as it is supposed to