Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Solara

Comments

• portraitistportraitist Member Posts: 5
    What year is your Toyota Solara?

Are you keeping records of these concerns?

What is Toyota saying?
  • solara31solara31 Member Posts: 14
    Sorry to hear about these problems you have with your Solara. My 06 SLE V6 hardtop has 18,000 miles on it, and I have not had any problems with it (which I expect from Toyota). However, I have been concerned with the rise of quality issues in Toyota's products (Avalon, Camry, Thundra). If these issues continued my next purchase would probably be Honda/Acura.
  • thebugthebug Member Posts: 294
    magpie11 - I have an 06 SLE Convertible with 16K miles, I've had it for 2+ years and have not had a single problem. I don't drive it when it rains (it doesn't rain much here anyway), but I don't think the top leaks either. I do on occasion drive with the top up and it is a quiet ride (for a convertible) with little to no wind noise.

I have noticed that when the top is up and at high speeds (XXXMPH) in certain wind conditions, the top whistles a little, but other than that, no real issues, as this may be normal. Mechanically, it is very sound, and all the gadgets still well, as well. I hope they can figure it out what's up with yours and fix it. What MY did you buy?

thebug...
  • dlk6003dlk6003 Member Posts: 8
    My 2008 Solara coupe V-6 had a dead battery yesterday! Got ready to leave the house for a Christmas lunch and shopping and the battery was dead as a doornail. The local dealership towed it in and fixed it within 3 hours, but it was terribly inconvenient. I don't know who Toyota uses as a battery supplier, but this was unacceptable on a 6 week old vehicle. :(
  • magpie11magpie11 Member Posts: 6
    Quick question what is "MY"?
  • blkbobblkbob Member Posts: 36
    Model year.
  • cd68cd68 Member Posts: 11
    Hello. I own a 2007 Camry 4-door SE with 4-cyl which has been reliable but is not the best from an acceleration or handling standpoint. On a business trip I recently rented a Camry Solara convertible. I was very pleasantly surprised with the acceleration and handling. I am now considering purchasing one, most likely the Sport V6 coupe. I had a question about the windows. On the convertible the windows were frameless. On the coupe are they frameless as well, or do they have a frame? I've never had a car with frameless windows, and I usually close the car door by means of the frame. I'm just curious if this was an issue for anyone else or not. Thanks for any thoughts you might have.
  • portraitistportraitist Member Posts: 5
    When it rains the water comes straight down from the roof as you enter the car or exit. BAM you get wet and your interior gets wet.
  • luvumeluvume Member Posts: 4
    while this is totally true of the convertible (otherwise I am not sure it would be able to be a convertible?), the coupe does has frames around the window. either way the car is great
  • roadtripgirlroadtripgirl Member Posts: 20
    Contact the Attorney General in your state and tell them your story. Trust me - you have a long battle ahead of you if you don't. Good luck!
    It's me again.... exactly 2 weeks to the day later my '08 Solara V-6 has another dead battery. This is the 2 week old battery! So, on a Friday the dealership had to tow my car back in and won't look at it till at least Mon. afternoon. They did provide me with a '08 Camry to drive so at least I have a vehicle, but this is annoying beyond words. I did call Toyota and described the problem. They've provided me with a claim number, but is there anything else I should be doing? If the dealership can't find the issue I want a different vehicle - this one has 1,800 miles on it and has been to the dealership twice! :cry:

Any thoughts would be appreciated
    When I had 2,500 miles on my car I had already had a few issues that the dealership was fixing. I asked for a loaner car and was told that only loyal customers were provided with those. I explained that it was a brand new car (only a couple months old), but was told that it was not a brand new car.

Finally when the service manager realized that I only had 2,500 miles on the car (after telling him a few times) and he gave me a rental car. But, at this same Toyota dealership, I'd been called a liar and told that they couldn't help me with a lot of the problems.

You should call customer service and talk to them. Also, call the state attorney general as the previous comment said. I've looked it up online and plan on calling this week.

My family has been buying Toyotas for over 30 years and to get a car like this and be treated the way that I have been has really been disappointing.
    I was once told that this was a manufacturing problem and would be recalled, but I think this was an effort for the dealership to not have to deal with me
  • blkbobblkbob Member Posts: 36
    I think most of us have certain dealerships in our area that we roll our eyes when their commercials come on TV. I would say if any dealership doesn't think of you as a loyal customer after purchasing a car from them and/or choosing to have your car fixed by them--under warranty or not--then I'd say don't try to be a loyal customer. I also say it's worth the gas to travel to another Toyota dealership that's much nicer. Although I never used Toyota's Transportation Assistance program (knock on wood) the warranty jargon looks like it states it's up to the individual dealer about rentals.

A side note: Most car manufacturers follow the same guideline, there are a few like Suzuki that states precisely that you WILL get a loaner with their warranty. With that in mind, don't let that guide you on what car to buy next. I had a Suzuki Verona that I had to take to the shop 13 times in one year this past year for engine stalling, I had a free rental each time. Unfortunately, you really don't have a final say so on what you're going to rent (gas-guzzling Dodge truck or tiny Honda Fit) and you're still shelling out monthly payments for your car that's in the shop. I pretty much saw Suzuki only giving freebies as a marketing ploy to gain market share in the US--it sure wasn't for my benefit when my car kept breaking down. So when picking your next car don't weigh your car buying decision too heavily on free car rentals, free replacement steering wheel and free replacement engines stated in the warranty.
  • quiggs0528quiggs0528 Member Posts: 1
    hey, can someone tell me where to find the number for the exterior paint color. I have looked a few places where it would be but I can't seem to find it.

also, at what mileage do the timing belts need to be changed? how much does that usually cost? just parts?

thanks.
    When I spoke with the dealership yesterday they said that after much back and forth with Toyota Tech Support it has been determined that the radio amplifier is the source draining the battery. They have a new amp on order and it should arrive sometime Thurs so I should have the car back on Fri. This means they've had it for a week. In fairness, I told them I didn't want it until it was absolutely fixed, particularly since I'm driving their loaner car. We'll see if this works, but I am taking yours and others advise and calling my state attorney general.
  • meegwellmeegwell Member Posts: 67
    Heads up! :surprise:

Recently I got out of my car after a short trip to find I'd been running on a tire that was almost flat. The Dashboard indicator light never came on.

When I reported this malfunction to the dealer I was informed that the system is what he called, passive. Read that as off-line. It doesn't work at all. If your car has a flat when you start it up the Solara's system will not tell you. The dealer said that if I started driving with properly inflated tires and then began to lose pressure in one, that would set off the indicator.

I'm told the system was made, active on the 2007 models.

I guess that's better than nothing but it would have been nice to have been told that up front.

Meegwell
  • linkgregorylinkgregory Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a used 2006 Solara SLE Convertible (my 2nd Solara Conv) Lunar Mist Silver exterior with a black top and grey leather interior. The dealership did not include any floormats, so I went online and ordered some in Dark Stone, which is what I was told the interior color was. When they arrived, they are much lighter than the carpet in the vehicle. I began to think that maybe I should have ordered charcoal instead, but in doing my research, it looks like charcoal is only a cloth seat color. Dark Stone is the only color listed as a leather color for Lunar Mist.
    Anyone know how to decode that label inside the door "C/TR" that would tell me for certain if mine is Dark Stone? And if so, why don't the OEM mats I ordered in Dark Stone match the carpet?
    Sorry for the late reply, I missed this one in the thread.

Mine is a 2006.

I have kept some records (of course all of my service docs), so I have most of that.

Toyota is just sending me to a third party arbitrator. I still need to file the report and do the whole write up.

But, they were not very helpful over the phone and the dealerships have not been great either.
    I got my Solara back on Tues. They found that when the Toyota aftermarket folks installed the leather heated seats the wiring was improper and drawing down the battery even when the car was turned off. Hopefully they are correct and this resolves the problem....we'll see...
  • cool9333cool9333 Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought an 07 Solara SE and was wondering if I have XM radio built in to my system or do I need to purchase an XM receiver? I am a total n00b with this, so any help would be appreciated. I have all of the buttons on my system for it, but cannot get it to work. TIA

My Solara's receiver:

Later, cool9333
    My understanding is that it is XM ready, but the consumer must purchase the receiver
  • cool9333cool9333 Member Posts: 2
    yeah, that's what i thought. thanks for the reply.
  • njexpressnjexpress Member Posts: 170
    Thanks, thebug!! I was out of teh country on a lo..ong vacation and just got to check your post. I think I am going to go with Wolfsteins / raggtopp canvas top cleaner and protectant.
    Cheers!!
    --njexpress
  • nowlennowlen Member Posts: 35
    You can't tell by just looking at it. I purchased a new 07 ragtop without Sirrius, but every time I pushed the AM/SAT button it indicated I needed to enter a code to activate Sirrius. Surprise! Although I did not order, or pay for it, it was, in fact, installed in my car. A Bonus! The dealer couldn't explain why I had it, but I wasn't complaining. Sirrius gave me 6 months free service. I don't know about XM option, but my antenna is a trapezodial black box stuck to the windshield behind the right side of the rear view mirror. The reception is spotty, I suspect because it's without an external antenna. The dealer told me the XM activated the same way as Sirrius, so I suspect if you press the AM/SAT repeatedly and you don't get the prompt, then you don't have XM.
    I did a lot of research and as soon as I could, I picked up some 303 High Tech Fabric Guard and treated my top. Water literally runs off the top and this stuff is supposed to last for years and has extra UV protectant. I've only had my Solara for 9 months, but it's still beading off just like a newly waxed painted surface. I also decided to spray the floormats, and laid them on some cardboard when I sprayed them. When it dried, you could not see a trace of it on the the cardboard, but when I accidentally sprayed some water on the cardboard, it beaded up and was dry where the overspray landed. I could easily see outlines where the mats were! I was so impressed, I ended up buying a case and treating the interior and a number of other exposed fabric items I own. It's not cheap, but if you by a case of 8 quart bottles at autogeek.net your cost per bottle will be about half of what others charge. It's a lot cheaper than replacing a Solara ragtop.
    Replying to: njexpress (Dec 08, 2007 2:17 pm)

I did a lot of research and as soon as I could, I picked up some 303 High Tech Fabric Guard and treated my top. Water literally runs off the top and this stuff is supposed to last for years and has extra UV protectant. I've only had my Solara for 9 months, but it's still beading off just like a newly waxed painted surface. I also decided to spray the floormats, and laid them on some cardboard when I sprayed them. When it dried, you could not see a trace of it on the the cardboard, but when I accidentally sprayed some water on the cardboard, it beaded up and was dry where the overspray landed. I could easily see outlines where the mats were! I was so impressed, I ended up buying a case and treating the interior and a number of other exposed fabric items I own. It's not cheap, but if you by a case of 8 quart bottles at autogeek.net your cost per bottle will be about half of what others charge. It's a lot cheaper than replacing a Solara ragtop.
    You might want to consider contacting the Attorney General in CA. I spoke to them and they suggested going through their mediation first. You should give them a call and see what advice they can give you.

Then if they are unable to get you restitution, then you can go through arbitration.
  • innapropriatusinnapropriatus Member Posts: 6
    I have seen a number of 05-07 convertibles online with billet grilles and I am looking for one for my 08...anyone have a SOLID lead on where to look?
    I have tried all the obvious places, but so far no real luck. I know that Lund Industries has a really sharp looking set (upper and lower) for the 07, distributed by Trenz, but they tell me that they do not have the 08 yet.
  • tresmithtresmith Member Posts: 5
    Hello Everyone,

I have a 99 solara and I have to replace my flex pipe. I found a good/cheap replacement on a site. However they have various sizes...lengths and diameter.

Has anyone replaced there flex pipe? If so, what size did you use? By the way, I am only having the flex portion replaced not the whole exhaust. Here's the page where I found the part: http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-VehicleBrowse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product- .CATENTRY_ID:2012408/p-2012408/N-111+1996+200728441+600001731/c-10101

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
  • kimmie313kimmie313 Member Posts: 2
    Hey Eddog, I was just wondering what the problem ended up being with the electrical problem. I am having the same exact thing happen and replaced battery and alternator and my mechanic still can't figure out what is wrong with it. Was wondering if you ever got this issue fixed. thanks
  • zaken1zaken1 Member Posts: 556
    I'm not the guy whose message from 3 1/2 years ago you replied to, but I've encountered very similar problems on other Toyota models. In those cases, it repeatedly turned out that the cure for this situation is; after putting the key in the ignition switch, turn it to the position where the dashboard warning lights come on, and WAIT there for about 5 seconds before turning the key to the "start" position.

My understanding of why this works is that some of the circuits which the key activates take a little longer than others to get going; and if you turn the key to the "start" position too rapidly, those particular circuits will not be functioning when the engine starts, which prevents certain components from operating.

Another electrical issue I have found in Japanese cars is that the wiring harness and fuse box design sometimes has insufficient capacity to carry the combined starting current of multiple accessories. If several accessories (heater fan, defroster, rear window wiper, air conditioning, radio, etc) are all turned on before starting the engine, it can cause problems similar to what you experienced. So I advise my customers to make sure that such accessories are turned off before starting the engine. That takes a little extra effort and attention, but it has eliminated electrical problems which nobody else was able to fix.
  • kimmie313kimmie313 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. I am certainly going to try that and make suer I shut things off all accessories. Thanks for all the info I was really starting to give up on this car.
  • roofie1024roofie1024 Member Posts: 11
    I have a 1999 Solara SLEV6, bought it new. About six months ago I put a new battery in and shortly after that the air bag sensor started flashing. I took it to the dealer and had it checked out and they thought it was due to the new battery.They said if it happened again I would need new air bag sensor assy.#89170-06101 parts and labor $520.00. Shortly after that, light came on again and then a few weeks later went off. Was off for several months but is now on and blinking for about a month. Any suggestions? I am going to an independant mechanic tomorrow as I want to sell car and get a 2008 SLE.
  • 99solara99solara Member Posts: 51
    Roofie, I too am the original owner of a '99 Solara. I have experienced the intermittent passenger air bag light for years. The dealer blamed it on "stuff" under the seat. :) I have found that moving the seat forward and back in the seat track corrects the issue. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries. On each attempt turn the car off and back on. Hope this helps!
    Thanks 99 solora, I forgot to mention the driver's side power seat just quit working last Sat. It moves up and down but only moves forward or back about one inch or less. Seat back also moves as it is supposed to! Any suggestions?
    Luckily for me I do not have any experience with the seat motor failing. Sounds like a gear could be broken (missing teeth?). This is a real guess as I have not looked at the seat mechanicals.
  • gee5gee5 Member Posts: 2
    REGARDING THE INTERMITANT AIR BAG SENSOR LIGHT ON THE 1999 SOLARA, THE PROBLEM IS IN THE ELECTRICAL HARNESS CONNECTOR UNDER THE DRIVER'S- SEAT POOR CONNECTION. MINE FLASHED OFF AND ON FOR YEARS UNTIL I TOOK IT TO THE RIGHT TOYOTA DEALERSHIP.
    gee5 can you provide the part number that was replaced?
  • gee5gee5 Member Posts: 2
    The work ticket from Walker Toyota in Dayton OH reads- that they "found error code B0116-OPEN FOUND IN SIDE SQUIB(LH) CIRCUIT, REPAIRED HARNESS DRIVERS SEAT AIR BAG." Which means that the connector in the harness under the drivers seat was loose, so when you move the seat, it causes the circuit to break causing the warning light to come on. The only number I see on the ticket is 67T0Z, but this may not be a part number. You can call them if you like at 937-433-4956. By the way, I've owned this car 9 years (135K). Best car I've ever owned. Don't know if I'll ever sell it! Good luck.
    Thanks for the information. I have to agree as I too have owned this car for 9 years and it is still solid as a rock!
    Many thanks to gee5 and99solara for help. Light is off now and I'm afraid to move power seat!
    The power seat on my car goes up and down and the seat back goes forward and back, but the seat itself only goes forward about one inch and stops. I want to sell this car soon but would like to get it fixed first if it is not too big of a job. My local mechanic didn't have a clue other than new frame at $1100! Enjoy the forum immensly and would appreciate any help. Roofie
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    It's your seat track, not your motor - but $1100 sounds ridiculous to replace one.
  • philnextphilnext Member Posts: 1
    I own the same car and had dealer correct it even though car was out of warranty, if they couldn't fix it first time then it was never fixed. The problem for sure is a 2 inch or so short harness that comes from air bags to the seats and usually in summer when you seem to move seat and have passengers and heat cause the connectors or connect to pull apart briefly enough to cause a air bag light to come on. It took my dealer over 3 or 4 years to finally fix it, because the service tech who i kinda knew, said it was never fixed the first 4 times. Toyota agreed and they fixed it by replacement air bag harness in the entire car. Patching was not an option since this a safety issue. Plus after that no problems and air bags worked later when i had an accident. SO THERE IS A FIX DON'T LET THEM GET AWAY WITH IT. HARNESS WAS MADE AT LEAST 2 INCHES SHORT AND ITS INTERMITTENT AND USUALLY OCCURS ONLY IN SUMMER MONTHS. GOOD LUCK .

REGARDS,
    PHIL
  • loucopitsloucopits Member Posts: 103
    I'd like to have brighter headlights and wonder if anyone has changed their bulbs to something brighter. I think I was once told that it was not possible to change bulbs in any car as the wiring would not carry a heavier load.

This is a 2004 Solara LE.
    I recently purchased a 2008 SLE Solara Coupe. The floor mats do not look like they are going to last very long. Has anyone purchased any after market Mats and from whom. Thanks for the help, Charlie
  • nextgennextgen Member Posts: 8
    I am the guy that wrote the book on putting Porsche engines in the Classic VW bug, so I know engines. I didn't expect the mileage I get on my new Solara. I had a 2002 loved the car. Had it up to 2 months ago with 104,000 miles on it and only replaced a light bulb. The best milage I ever got was 31 on long trips. The car was hit broadside and totaled. I went looking for another commuter car and thought the Corolla was the way to go. Went to the dealer and he said grab a Solara they are not making them after this year and they have an over drive. So I got one loaded with Sunroof for $21500. The car was getting 29 mpg on my 70 mile round trip to work till it broke in at around 3000mile then it went to 33mpg. ON a trip from my home in Upstate NY to Washington DC the car got 40.2 mpg!!! We took photos of the computer, the checked it actually at the pump. 40.2 on the head. A Smart car gets exactly the same mileage and my car is 4 times the size. There is a draw back, the reason it gets much better then the older Solars is the 5 speed over drive. When you are in overdrive you have no power, there is a lag if you want to pass someone. The RPM's at 70mph are about 1000 less on my car then on my 2002. That I believe is the major difference. I can live with the lag having the looks and feel of this car with the mileage, I am very happy!!! The car is a true cruiser.
  • sparky20sparky20 Member Posts: 8
    I also have a 2008 Solara SE with the 2.4L 4 cyl engine. I drive back an forth to work about 70 miles a day. For the first 2000 miles, I was averaging 30.3 mpg calculating from the pump (my display showed 33.5 avg). After the first 2000 miles, the mpg moved up to 33.4 calculating (display showed 36.5).

I drive about 90% highway. I have over 8000 miles on the car and consistently get over 33 mpg (I mean always). Must be the combination of 5 speed auto and super sleek design (low coefficient of drag).

On a straight highway trip, I get well over 36 mpg. It is truly amazing.

A quick question, my display always shows 3 mpg avg better than what it really does. Anyway to fix this?
  • nextgennextgen Member Posts: 8
    Hi Sparky, on my trip one setting is is average mpg, and the other is average mph. I was getting 3 miles more in average mph and did not see I was in MPH not MPG. So when the MPG said 40.5 the MPH showed 44. The lettering is small and at 75 mph I could not see it. Till I got home and I noticed MPH but still was very happy.
    ON The other hand if you were in MPG then I guess it may be the computer calulating all the time, but when you do it by math it can be different from the computer. For instance lets say you figure your mileage when you are 3/4 full vs 3/4 empty and am almost empty. The more fuel you use the more accurate you will be vs. the computer that is doing it every 15 seconds. My calculations were right on every time. I have been zeroing the computer on every fill up. But also let it ride for 3 fill ups and it came out the same.
    BTY I read you can only get the Solara in a 6 now,they stopped making the 4. We are very lucky. We are doing better then a Mini Cooper seeing the Mini uses Plus Gas.