Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Solara

Comments

• I'll have to second the opinion that aside from this check engine light fiasco, my car has been completely excellent, considering the amount of wear and tear I've put it through.

silversolara - No, I haven't posted this on camryman.org. Actually the last time I went on there, it was a little hard to navigate and find the exact subject I was looking for, so I gave up and went to solaraguy.com. Honestly, I found Edmunds and batauto.com most useful.

I'll keep you posted on today's outcome.
  • You had to go back 1700 posts for 'why I bought my car"!?! Lot's of free time you have! Okay!!! Sorry if I try to be active, giving my input to people that address this thread, such as squinty, or any newer member that may have an issue, by telling of my experiance, and solutions.
  • Your so-called constructive complaints just sicken me. The only reason I pulled up that old post was because you lied about it earlier. Take your bile to Rant.com.

Cliffy - thank you for continuing to add opinions from the other side of the floor, as it were. 99% of us find your comments instructive.

My apologies to the rest of the forum.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    What is a "powertrain" component and what is a "comprehensive" component is a squirrely. To me, an alternator would be something that directly contributes to driving the car and therefore a powertrain component. That part is not covered under the 5/60 though.

As to the wiring harness, it is not considered powertrain, although you may have some recourse. You said it was replaced once right? There should be a 1 year/12K mile warranty on any replacement parts. Ask the service director about that. Also, I want to make sure I understand when all of this happened. You are past the 3/36K warranty right?
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    I wasn't trying to start a webguyster bashing session. I was honestly asking that you ease up a bit. It really does seem like a hobby to you at this point, but then, I consider my participation here a hobby as well. It just seems that your's is awfully negative.
  • and consider a Sebring, 2003 Accord, and Monte Carlo coupe before buying a Solara coupe.
  • Personally, I like the room and taillamps of the Solara best.
  • I did not lie about anything. And if your sickened by something on a car website, I suggest you seek professional help, ASAP! You may have some other issues brewing. There is help.

libertycat, why do you suggest the other cars?
  • FYI to those interested: My car was amazingly returned the same night, so I can tell you what happened. The correction listed on the invoice said "Tech rewired and replaced connector for ECU to trans solenoid". The good news is that it didn't cost nearly as much as I expected--only $164. Maybe I shouldn't say this until I wait a while, but the dealership was actually quite courteous to me today, the technician supposedly sympathized and stayed late to fix this, and therefore I wasn't forced into getting a rental, plus I think he knocked a few dollars off the bill. Sure, maybe it's BS, but my soft side almost feels bad for ragging on them here so much. :)

cliffy1 - I understand now how some parts cannot be covered under Powertrain. However, now that you mentioned it, a wiring harness was replaced in an earlier visit and I wasn't charged (it was considered warranty). So I'm confused. But like I said, the charge wasn't too horrendous so I'm going to leave it be.

Thanks for all your help, guys! Hopefully I won't have to come back here with a negative follow-up.
  • Kewl beans, and good for you! The guys at the dealerships get more... nice, the more you get to know them! ;^)

Cliffy, I dont blame you for the webguyster backlash! It's all good. I do forget that "Middle America' is a bit more sensitive too....sensitivity! LOL!
  • WOW! See what happens when a person gets busy and can't check in here for a few days! All I can say is I LOVE my Solara- driving it is almost----whoops- can't say that word. :) Have a wonderful Christmas all and my New Year's resolution is to try to check in here more often. Peace, love, and MANY miles of driving pleasure to you all.
  • ... smarminess is next to godliness? i'm from Philly, kid, and insulting Middle America isn't going to cover up your deficincies when it comes to objectively chatting about our cars. i've been civil to you before, and my comments have always addressed your inability to stay level-headed about your mess.

if you want to make it personal, so be it.
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Posts: 1,110
    For being from Philly, you seem to be downright courteous!

-ss4 from South Jersey, where many of us have Philly atty-tood, too.
  • Thanks for being civil "before"! Why did you stop, and start being insulting? Your name calling is childish, and I am certain, against the rules of the forum. I am from Chicago, since were giving bios, thats about as middle America as one can get, at least on my map!?! Whew!

Should keep the topic on cars, not neighborhoods!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,876
    Getting personal? So be it NOT. Cars only. If you must get personal, take it to e-mail so that the rest of us don't have to scroll through the drivel.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Thanks Kristie_h Host. If your not a car dealer, on some of these sites, one may get a little bashed, for trying to bring forth an honest experience with the cars! Thanks again!
  • Could anyone please inform me as to how difficult or easy it is to install the toyota auto-dimming rearview mirror on the Solara? I have the standara rear-view but wanted to upgraded it. I know there is a power supply attached to the auto-dim. (I dont have instructions) Anyone with any experience in the matter? Help is greatly appreciated.
  • rblelandrbleland Posts: 312
    ..you want to do that? the reason I ask is that we have a auto-dimming mirror on our '99 SLE and it is the one&only feature I wish we did NOT have. Find it does not dim bright lights behind enough, would rather have the manual "flip" mirror - at least you can get rid of the glare. Just my opinion.
  • If your used to one, it might be a good feature, especially in certain types of driving. I find them to be larger and more distracting while driving, so I frequently request my rental not to have one (ie... OnStar in GM's). Just an FYI. Seems like more labor, removing the headliner, and hooking it up, then reinstalling the headliner.

Anyone have the remote truck release added to the 2000 model. Gets embarrassing at my upscale gym, having to use a key to put away my gym bag, when leaving. Any idea on price, etc?
  • comparable room, and more horsepower. I forgot to mention to consider the Stratus coupe which (again in my opinon) has sportier styling than the others.
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Posts: 1,110
    "Gets embarrassing at my upscale gym, having to use a key to put away my gym bag, when leaving."
  • canccanc Posts: 715
    How atrocious it is to be bothered by a key to open up the trunk!

Think of it this way--since you go to the gym, you probably want to burn up calories or something similar. Finding your key and putting it in the key slot and turning it burns up more calories than pressing a button.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,838
    Regarding complaining about dealers or cars on Town Hall.

This issue comes up on many boards, and after three + years of looking at what transpires, the Host suggests that what works best is to tell your story and then be done with it, especially in a topic dedicated to enthusiasts who want to talk about the car.

We have therefore encouraged people with "problems" to stay out of mainstream "marque" topics and start a "______ Problems" topic in the Repair & Maintenance Board. Works best for everybody.

So as Host I'd like to see all extensive Solara Sad Stories to be elaborated upon over there, not here. One complaint story per car should be plenty here I would think. The reason is that in Repair & Maintenance we have techs who visit and actually press for a resolution of the issue or industry people who suggest resolution. They LIKE reading this stuff, most people here don't seem to.

Thanks for listening. No need to comment, in fact I'd be happy if you just continued with your discussion on the Solara in general.

MrShiftright

Host

• It would be indeed be good if we just continued the discussion, but this might be tough. If a person hasn't learned the difference between: A) sharing facts (including the negative), answering questions, "car talk" and other positive behaviors, and B) endlessly recycling the same old feelings of frustration and anger in as many guises as possible - then they probably won't learn that on a BB. But who knows? It's possible...

BTW, anybody replace their OEM 205's with 215 tires?
    Maybe your suggestion will clean up this site; I think many of us have tired of hearing the same old complaints from the same party. Let's move on!! Our '99 SLE V6 continues to perform well with zero problems. Four snows on dedicated rims (with the traction control) get us thru the winter easily. Probably buy it out the lease this summer and keep it. Earlgrey 44 - the snows are 215s - no problem at all.
  • How does your Solara handle serious snow/salting? We haven't had any real snow (thank goodness) in this part of the US for about five years now...
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,838
    Anything that seems to be making visits to Town Hall unpleasant for the majority will be handled fairly, no worries!

Shifty the Host

As to the last first, salt is not a big problem in B.C. where most of our winter driving occurs. It is hardly ever used on the roads, the hiways are "sanded" with mix of "sand" (use that term loosly as there seems to be a lot of rocks in the "sand" so windshield stars/paint chips are a bigger winter problem)and chemicals (not salt based). As to snow, the combination of 4 snows, the traction lock and the FWD, makes the SLE pretty good in snow. It is not as good, however, as my Subaru TS wagon with the AWD, 4 snows and standard shift. So if we have trips where we expect big snow problems, we take the Subie. Having said that, we have no trouble climbing icey hills with the Solara. As you are in N.J., your snow is likely a wet snow (right?) and is more difficult for any vehicle to handle.
  • rbleland, did you have to get different size wheels for your snows, in order to accommodate the 215's? Sorry if it's a dumb question but I haven't looked into the fit issues much. I'm interested in replacing the original tires with a better gripping and shorter stopping tire without losing too much in mileage and quietness. I don't know that I'd bother if I couldn't use my current alloys.
  • a good holiday to everybody in the forum. i doubt that santa will leave me a TRD supercharger under the tree, but one can always hope!